• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Nintendo Switch to get Pokémon Sun and Moon third version: Pokemon Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Are we seriously excited that they're going to give us basically the same game and miss launch?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills...
You do realize that this follows the same release pattern as other third versions of Pokémon games, right? They put in extra stuff, then release it a year or two later.

Persona7

Banned
But is it just going to be a blown up 3DS game on my TV?
Probably render in 720p and then blown up by upscaling to whatever resolution your TV is.

A proper Pokémon game with that battery? Hmmm... No.

I guess the 3DS pokemon games don't exist? The New 3DS XL gets like four hours at best.

How many people here are cancelling their 3DS pre-orders?

Just curiosity.

I canceled my pre-order yesterday because I wanted extra black friday funds. Probably doesn't count.

xzeldax3

I was worried at first that it was just going to be a port of Sun & Moon but I'm glad it's going to be a third version. Now I don't have to hold off of the 3DS game.

blakep267

Sweet. My 2ds broke and o didn't really feel like buying a 3ds just for Pokémon. Ad soon as the switch gets the Mario kart, smash and Pokémon ports im there

ZeroX03

Banned
People who said Pokemon Sun and Moon wouldn't come to Switch is going to eat their hats.

People kept throwing out "but Game Freak haven't done it like that in the past!" when they've broken every other pattern in the book at this point.

Not surprised by this. GF are very backward in a lot of respects and stubborn with switching platform as we saw last gen, but even they can see that the Switch needs to come out swinging.

Neoxon

How many people here are cancelling their 3DS pre-orders?

Just curiosity.
I cancelled my pre-order of the Sun/Moon bundle (my brother & I were gonna split the cost and get one cartridge each). I'm also no longer getting the n3DS Black Friday deal (which I mentioned earlier in this thread).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't want to be a company apologist but i don't like the timing of this leak. if they don't care about the success of the normal versions why not reveal this earlier, if they care, why reval it tobegin with?

Maximum attention/reach.

heringer

On a handheld that you can put into a dock.

If it can be played with one of these:

h2nep7v8huvyxon4qwya.png

on a HDTV, then it's a home console to me.

Sorry you don't feel the same way. :)

Neoxon

considering GF has been trying to get away from the 3rd version deal and and them being late adopters of hardware i doubt it
I once thought the same thing as you, but then I remembered that Pokémon Crystal happened.

Also remember that Eurogamer has been pretty on-point with their Switch rumors.

Plum

People kept throwing out "but Game Freak haven't done it like that in the past!" when they've broken every other pattern in the book at this point.

Not surprised by this. GF are very backward in a lot of respects and stubborn with switching platform as we saw last gen, but even they can see that the Switch needs to come out swinging.

Exactly. The Pokemon Company/GF know that if the Switch fails Pokemon will suffer as well. They're not going to wait two or three years for a new generation because those two or three years, especially without a Pokemon, could make the Switch into another Wii U-type failure.

Neoxon

But is it just going to be a blown up 3DS game on my TV?
The Pokémon models themselves have already been future-proofed for HD, to the point where the 3DS can barely handle them. The overworld & textures on the other hand may need some updating.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Feels like this is too much on the nose like they were following patterns but forgot plenty of things.

Like when was the last time we had a singular third version? Also if you played the game, Stars is very much not the third name
as the supposed mon that goes with it is more aligned with Eclipse or Void

also

Earlier generations of Pokémon games have featured a third title launched later with expanded features - Pokémon Yellow followed Game Boy originals Red and Blue to start this trend, which continued through until Pokémon Platinum followed Sapphire and Emerald on DS.

wait what

I won't comment on the Red and Blue -> Yellow though. Since out of technicality it is more of a revision of a revision.

blazeaire

Nice, should be good to have a HD mainline Pokemon but I really want MH to be on Switch since the ergonomic controls would do wonders for the game

ASIS

Isn't the Switch like 1000x more powerful than a 3DS. I expect a ton of upgrades with this version. At the very least a stable frame rate and 900p resolution at the least.

sphinx

the piano man
is this pokemon stars like, the whole, complete Sun/Moon games but with extras?

like getting a new version of a past Zelda game but getting 3 new temples, new sidequests, new items, etc. all exclusive to that version?

other than not wanting to wait, I don't see why would anyone buy the lesser 3DS versions.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Wow at everyone already saying they will skip the 3DS version now. Not a very good time to release this news, now was it Eurogamer?

The number of people who wanted to buy and play Moon and Sun and change their mind now is insignificant. Pokemon fans won't wait a full year for the game. Plus it's not a port, it's a third game and it will be linked to Moon and Sun, so no real reason to skip it.

Don't confuse GAF with real world.

Feels like this is too much on the nose like they were following patterns but forgot plenty of things.

Like when was the last time we had a singular third version? Also if you played the game, Stars is very much not the third name
as the supposed mon that goes with it is more aligned with Eclipse or Void

new pokemon spoilers

idk necrozma, who I assume you're talking about, is a prism and gets it's energy from light. both eclipse and void are the absense of light. stars create light.

Neoxon

is this pokemon stars like, the whole, complete Sun/Moon games but with extras?

like getting a new version of a past Zelda game but getting 3 new temples, new sidequests, new items, etc. all exclusive to that version?

other than not wanting to wait, I don't see why would anyone buy the lesser 3DS versions.
From what we know about other third versions of Pokémon games, think of it like what Crystal was to Gold & Silver, what Emerald was to Ruby & Sapphire, or what Platinum was to Diamond & Pearl.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
new pokemon spoilers

idk necrozma, who I assume you're talking about, is a prism and gets it's energy from light. both eclipse and void are the absense of light. stars create light.

I get that, but
I thought he was more like eating the light. Even has a DARK DRAGON look lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom