• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pittree

If the dock isn't wireless, using the screen would be a waste of resources (both hardware wise, and developer wise). I doubt most people would have the dock in a place that can be easily (by everyone, if playing a multiplayer game), and even if they did, I'd wager it's usually too far away to be useful anyway.

Now if it's wireless, sure--that makes sense. Otherwise no

That aside, I love your mockups.

That is precisely my issue with how it has been described. Why making a dock for the console wich just adds and HDMI port if you could use an improved streaming process and do everything wirelessly. Elliminating the need for an additional controller, clutter, and wires. That whitout mentioning killing the possibility for a more streamlined Wii U port processs and Wii U like functionality (map, inventory and so on)

First mockup where I can actually visualize this thing. good job, Pittree

Thanks a lot man! I appreciate your comment

KAP151

I'm fairly disappointed this hot leaked before being shown to the public.

But that's Nintendo's fault waiting so long.

I hope they have an event before more leaks like software happen.

Someone is gonna spill everything on this. Leaked pics/specs etc.

They need to really come out with a direct and soon.

hokahey

I spent some more time playing with the idea and concepts being thrown arround so I updated my previous mockup.

I now think that the deattachable controllers could be nice for casual multiplayer on the go, but I am still trying to find a good use for the screen while docked.

I really don't want the screen go to waste like that while in console mode. Especially considering wireless transmission could liberate the (NX) screen for use while still making possible to display the game on the TV

This is what I'm picturing as well. I doubt the button color, but I'll be surprised if this mockup doesn't closely resemble the final product.

oti

Banned
Wow most of these mock-ups I've seen posted are beyond ugly. Look like cheap toys
dbUgjcJ.gif

I'm hoping the final product is sleek and nice to look at like the Wii U gamepad.

Girl-Meme-Face-Hand-21.png

I really can't wait for this system.

People bring up third parties but I think it will function similar to how ds and 3ds third party games work. I don't think Capcom will stop putting Monster Hunter on Nintendo handhelds for instance.

Imagine a Pokemon game with this power.

I haven't been excited for a system like this since Wii and 360. Can't wait to see what Nintendo cooks up.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I spent some more time playing with the idea and concepts being thrown arround so I updated my previous mockup.

I now think that the deattachable controllers could be nice for casual multiplayer on the go, but I am still trying to find a good use for the screen while docked.

I really don't want the screen go to waste like that while in console mode. Especially considering wireless transmission could liberate the (NX) screen for use while still making possible to display the game on the TV

This is really well done, but my biggest issue that all of these designs while feasible and aesthetically please look like a nightmare in terms of an actual handheld device for one person to use. The button placement just does not lend itself at all to real comfortable use by one person using the device like a normal handheld.

It's far too much emphasis on shared play which is a novel feature but should be placed in priority over that of using the device as just a regular handheld, the form which most people will be using it most of the time.

weepy

To me, this is their super console by putting all their efforts into a single thing where everything of theirs is available on a single device. Past, present and future will be on the NX and no split userbase.

In order to really do that they would have to have a cloud-like system in place that would house all previous purchases or some type of online service ala PS Plus to really reel people in. I mean, if I'm going to even consider buying this thing, it's got to have something...anything to show for. I'd rather have a totally off-the-wall controller, or AR, VR, whatever, than this right now.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

For all we know it could have been a controlled leak by Nintendo to let uproar among the hardcore on gaming sites die down before the official reveal.

That way the buzz over the games they show etc. isn't drowned out by all the whining from hardcore types who don't like it/aren't the market for it. Even if not a controlled lead, we'll at least get that benefit and not have the threads around the reveal be as crappy as the current threads are with all the bitching and moaning.

In order to really do that they would have to have a cloud-like system in place that would house all previous purchases.

That's what their new My Nintendo account is. They just didn't bother applying it to 3DS and Wii U. Probably not worth the effort with those systems on the way out.

But you can already log into Miitomo from multiple devices for example.

gafneo

Banned

Made a small edit for those that can't live without the dpad. I call it the dbuttons.

5UGJOwe.jpg

Holy shit at all the NX topics....

Lots of build up around all this

Fucking sucks we are having these discussions for what could a two month wait

Qwyjibo

I hope this will be Vita-ish with newer tech and a continuation of the 3DS games library. Just stick to handhelds and portability, Nintendo.

Otnopolit

Pittree, these look incredible. It's a great help to see it laid out like this, thank you.

I hope this will be Vita-ish with newer tech and a continuation of the 3DS games library. Just stick to handhelds and portability, Nintendo.

Yup i peronally find this move brilliant and compelling

Its going to deliver exactly what i want from Nintendo hopefully

Cautiously optimistic

oti

Banned

My problem with this is it either means tiny controllers or a humongous screen.

HeelPower

I don't really think of this as a hybrid console.Its a handheld with the option to output to your TV.

And that's ok.Maybe that way Nintendo will stay unique and fight against Tablets/Phones rather than MS/Sony.

After the April meeting and lack of NX at E3 pretty much killed my vibe, the credibility and nature of all these rumours are really starting to get me excited again. Can't wait for the September event.

I don't really think of this as a hybrid console.Its a handheld with the option to output to your TV.

And that's ok.Maybe that way Nintendo will stay unique and fight against Tablets/Phones rather than MS/Sony.

I think whether or not it's a true hybrid will depend on if the dock...

A) has improved power and will let games switch between "handheld mode" and "console mode"

or B) is basically a glorified HDMI output

In the grand scheme of things, this doesn't matter at all.

What matters most is that the software at the reveal being in the best possible state for the first impression

HeelPower

I think whether or not it's a true hybrid will depend on if the dock...

A) has improved power and will let games switch between "handheld mode" and "console mode"

or B) is basically a glorified HDMI output

Wouldn't vastly different multiple modes for every single game complicate development environments(which is against Ninty's new policy) ?

Qwyjibo

The one thing I'm struggling to wrap my head around is the "detachable controllers".

Are they firmly part of the handheld device where it's not playable without them? If so, are these controllers going to be really small to ensure portability of the device? And then wouldn't that make for a sub-par gaming experience for those people that want to play this in the dock and hooked up to a TV using these controllers?

I worry that one side of this "hybrid" experience will be gimped because of this. I personally ONLY want a handheld but if this thing isn't easy to carry around like a 3DS is, that would lower my interest greatly.

jblank83

Nintendo really needs to nail the ergonomics on the detachable controllers.

If they're not attractive, casual users are going to turn away.
If they're not functional, core users are going to hate it.

That is precisely my issue with how it has been described. Why making a dock for the console wich just adds and HDMI port if you could use an improved streaming process and do everything wirelessly. Elliminating the need for an additional controller, clutter, and wires. That whitout mentioning killing the possibility for a more streamlined Wii U port processs and Wii U like functionality (map, inventory and so on)

Yea, but didn't Zelda BotW's director said that he didn't like the 2nd screen features of the wiiU, and that it wouldn't be used on the NX version?
With what's beeing described in the leak, lot of things don't add-up.
My main problem, based on your great (!) moke-up, is that the NX as a handhel would be rather massive, with an unprotected screen, a thing that's not very nintendo-sih imho.

Wouldn't vastly different multiple modes for every single game complicate development environments(which is against Ninty's new policy) ?

Is it against policy? I'm not sure of that.

Well FWIW, I'm not much of a tech guy, but it's my understanding that in software development, the most straightforward approach is to push forward naturally, and then downscale what you have so that it works optimally?

I know Sakurai mentioned that with Smash for Wii U for example, they made the character models with the Wii U resolution and power in mind first, then just optimized them for the 3DS. It would be similar here, right? Or like how the PS4 Neo "enhancements" would work. The handheld gets an optimized version, and in console mode it's "rawer" (but still optimized).

TheMink

These look great, but I don't love the idea of the dpad being button based to support the fact that it is also a standalone controller. I also dont want the buttons to be a d-pad when it is a standalone controller.

FIX MY UNFIXABLE COMPLAINT 😡

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
]But making the attachments wiimote size would make the screen huge[/B], wich would bring cost, battery, and portability issues to say the least. I gave a lot of tought on the subject, and I think that if the sliding parts are as described by Eurogamer, they are tiny and just meant for small fun multiplayer experiences on the go.

There is a fallacy that the attachments need to be the exact size of the tablet. That isn't true in the least.

gafneo

Banned
The one thing I'm struggling to wrap my head around is the "detachable controllers".

Are they firmly part of the handheld device where it's not playable without them? If so, are these controllers going to be really small to ensure portability of the device? And then wouldn't that make for a sub-par gaming experience for those people that want to play this in the dock and hooked up to a TV using these controllers?

I worry that one side of this "hybrid" experience will be gimped because of this. I personally ONLY want a handheld but if this thing isn't easy to carry around like a 3DS is, that would lower my interest greatly.

i think the dock covers both ends, like a plate. It will then snap into the plastic beds. Think of how the circle pad pro clipped into the 3ds.

circlepadpro_ggl51.jpg

diaspora

To me, this is their super console by putting all their efforts into a single thing where everything of theirs is available on a single device. Past, present and future will be on the NX and no split userbase.

At 38% the performance of the... xb1 it's not really a super anything.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
But how convenient for them to come out the day after eurogamer... why didn't they break the news first. Easy to fall in line after shit has been said. I'm not saying it's not true but this does nothing for me. Everyone hears the same thing after someone else does.

Once the cat is out of the bag, it's for other journalists to get their sources to confirm/deny things off the record. Less worry about being tracked down for breaking NDAs etc. since the word is already out and if Nintendo wanted to figure out who did it (assuming this isn't a controlled leak by them) they'd be focused on the Eurogamer source(s).

Qwyjibo

There is a fallacy that the attachments need to be the exact size of the tablet. That isn't true in the least.
But doesn't that compromise portability regardless? Especially if you need these attachments to play it on the go.

(I really hope the portable version of the NX isn't simply a touchscreen tablet)

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
My problem with this is it either means tiny controllers or a humongous screen.

The Wii Nunchuck is pretty comfortable to most people. They could make something between the size of that and the Wiimote I'd think. The Wiimote was longer than needed due to need to have the pointer sensor camera, speaker etc. that won't be in these presumably.

It's a super handheld with TV out.

I can't believe people are downplaying potentially the most powerful handheld ever created just because it can connect to your TV.

Most people in the west (and this is an English language site obviously) don't give a shit about handhelds. The Vita was the most powerful handheld previously and look how that sold.

Oddduck

But how convenient for them to come out the day after eurogamer... why didn't they break the news first. Easy to fall in line after shit has been said. I'm not saying it's not true but this does nothing for me. Everyone hears the same thing after someone else does.

I don't think Wall Street Journal would make things up. Plus, they were the first to break the story that NX would come with a "mobile unit" that you can play on the go.

TLZ

Banned
If it is established that the NX is a dock-able handheld, and the fact that no one have yet to discuss if the dock have additional hardware or not how can Eurogamer conclude anything?

Ign has said the dock is nothing but a tv out.

Guys, I honestly don't mean to sound harsh, but the amount of horrible ideas in this thread is astounding. When you think of ideas, think Nintendo, think innovation, think security risks, think unprecedented.

Buying a portable to be used as a home console only means the tablet will be docked forever and never to be used. What a waste of screen.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
But doesn't that compromise portability regardless? Especially if you need these attachments to play it on the go.

(I really hope the portable version of the NX isn't simply a touchscreen tablet)

I believe some of the patents signified something of this nature.

I just look at some of these mockups and...I don't know. I mean, look at the latest one and mimic holding a controller like that. It is incredibly uncomfortable. It's WAY too small.

TLZ said:
Buying a portable to be used as a home console only means the tablet will be docked forever and never to be used. What a waste of screen.

Again, if they use the Wii U streaming technology from the tablet to the TV connection instead of the current method of console to the controller (and I'm pretty confident this will happen), the player has the screen in their hands the whole time.

Neoxon

Ign has said the dock is nothing but a tv out.

Guys, I honestly don't mean to sound harsh, but the amount of horrible ideas in this thread is astounding. When you think of ideas, think Nintendo, think innovation, think security risks, think unprecedented.

From what I gathered, it seemed to be an assumption on IGN's part based on the fact that Eurogamer didn't talk much about the dock.

Eolz

It's a super handheld with TV out.

I can't believe people are downplaying potentially the most powerful handheld ever created just because it can connect to your TV.

Anything above the Vita would be "the most powerful handheld ever created".
It's definitely nice, and Nintendo knows how to make handhelds, but if it's supposed to be a console at the same time, it needs to be more than just an handheld with tv out...

Speely

Banned
I believe some of the patents signified something of this nature.

I just look at some of these mockups and...I don't know. I mean, look at the latest one and mimic holding a controller like that. It is incredibly uncomfortable. It's WAY too small.

I wouldn't read too much into the mockups. There is no rule saying that the controllers have to have any dimensions that are the same as the screen.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
As an actual TV device it sounds like garbage though.

Everything points to it being more powerful than Wii U, maybe approaching Xbox 1 levels.

Wii U games look great on TV, and run better than most X1 games since Nintendo's art styles aren't so taxing and make it easier to hit 60FPS.

So no reason NX games won't look even better and easily hit 1080p/60fps for the most part.

I mean sure, it will be "garbage" to the graphics whores who want photo realism, but Nintendo doesn't give a shit about them and gave up putting out hardware for them years ago and has never pursued that art design for their own games.

diaspora

Anything above the Vita would be "the most powerful handheld ever created".
It's definitely nice, and Nintendo knows how to make handhelds, but if it's supposed to be a console at the same time, it needs to be more than just an handheld with tv out...

The thing is, it's only going to be just a handheld that you can plug into another screen- it will never fill the void of a dedicated console. If the "dock" or the "SCD" were PS4/XB1 tier- 3-4x the performance of the handheld itself, then it doesn't make sense to not have it be its own system.

Everything points to it being more powerful than Wii U, maybe approaching Xbox 1 levels.

Wii U games look great on TV, and run better than most X1 games since Nintendo's art styles aren't so taxing and make it easier to hit 60FPS.

So no reason NX games won't look even better and easily hit 1080p/60fps for the most part.

I mean sure, it will be "garbage" to the graphics whores who want photo realism, but Nintendo doesn't give a shit about them and gave up putting out hardware for them years ago and has never pursued that art design for their own games.

You cannot be serious, the X1 AFAIK doesn't even approach 40% of the XB1's power envelope. I tolerate the Wii U's power.

At 38% the performance of the... xb1 it's not really a super anything.
It's more like 50% because the XBONE GPU is worse on paper than you think.

You're looking at this thing wrong anyway. The NX is handheld that connect to your TV. So it's a handheld with 50% of the XBONE's power.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
That is exactly what I was imagining. I think they should go with a 4:3 screen though to decrease size.

Nope as that creates headaches for games running easily on the portable and on 16:9 TVs when docked. No reason to create extra work for their developers when they should be able to make the controllers work fine on a device not much bigger than the Vita.

People making mockup are focusing too much on making the device rectangular and the controller pieces like mini-Wiimotes. The controller pieces can easily be more ergonomically shaped to be more like left and right halves of traditional contollers, there maybe a middle piece the connect too to form pretty much a standard pad when used in dock mode etc. Only time will tell what the design is. Don't buy into much to random user mock ups.

bones123

I really disagree with this. I would kill to play this on the bus, and I would love to be able to play my 3DS on a big screen with a separate controller.

That is exactly what I was imagining. I think they should go with a 4:3 screen though to decrease size.

Don't forget there was that rumor that Nintendo was using the shaped display tech from Sharp. If this is true, for example, you could keep 16:9 and the controllers could be shaped like SNES controllers and be embedded into the screen itself.

diaspora

It's more like 50% because the XBONE GPU is worse on paper than you think.

You're looking at this thing wrong anyway. The NX is handheld that connect to your TV. So it's a handheld with 50% of the XBONE's power.

So it's a handheld, or a Wii U 1.5 at best. Fucking great. The idea of it being a "hybrid" is a red herring- because it isn't, it's just a handheld with a screen port.

I mean, even if you want to create the fantasy that it's 50% of the Xbone, it's still useless as a console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom