• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea what that means in practice, except that it'd be more powerful than Tegra X1. Maybe Thraktor or someone more knowledgeable about this stuff can enlighten us.

Kansoku

The more and more I think about all of this, the more bullshit everything seems. If everything here is true, I'll be eager to see what black magic Nintendo did to make everything work practically, ergonomically and cheaply.

We still missing something fam

There's something else that hasn't been leaked yet

This doesn't feel like enough info lmao

It wont be the Pascal unit found in the fucking cars

Way larger power draw and power supply. A low profile custom chip based on the Pascal design spec? Possible but I have no idea what the specs would come to

on the portable performance end it should be better than X1 right?

It is kinda odd that we haven't heard more about it. Usually if one site breaks stuff others would chime in with their own knowledge on the matter. Not this time. Just makes me think there's major stuff we have no idea about that is yet to be revealed.

I was listening to Kotaku's podcast last night and they had a bit to say on this. Mostly that they haven't been able to confirm the Eurogamer report independently with their own sources yet. That being said, they were confident enough in things they've heard to believe the report. Take that as you will.

The more and more I think about all of this, the more bullshit everything seems. If everything here is true, I'll be eager to see what black magic Nintendo did to make everything work practically, ergonomically and cheaply.

This has been my thought all week. How on earth would this thing be 'affordable'?

Jesus Christ if there wasn't a sliver of truth, a reputable site like Eurogamer would not report this. This is not Dual Pixels or some random fan site.

This is the exact same kind of denial Kotaku received when they first reported the PS4Neo.

kami_sama

RIP in piece $199 price point.

Its still mainly a portable. It can't be more than $249 right? Nintendo pls think about the 3DS launch bomba. :(
And my funds lol.

We don't know the price of the chip.
Nvidia might be selling them cheap due to the bad sales of their off-the-self parts.

Mr Swine

Banned

Maybe Nvidia is footing some of the bill since they are supplying their Tegra chipset for Nintendo. Maybe they will have their logo plastered on the backside of the handheld. Maybe Nintendo and Nvidia came to some big agreements.

If not then it's likely a last gen Tegra before the X1

Kansoku

Jesus Christ if there wasn't a sliver of truth, a reputable site like Eurogamer would not report this. This is not Dual Pixels or some random fan site.

This is the exact same kind of denial Kotaku relieved when they first reported the PS4Neo.

I'm not saying everything is false. I'm saying it doesn't "add up" if everything is true. I'm certain there is ture stuff in there, but I'm also sure there's a lot of false stuff in there as well.

This has been my thought all week. How on earth would this thing be 'affordable'?

Mass production, smaller die size and material costs

Mostly the mass production standard. Its why new RAM is cheaper than old RAM for PCs

The supply is larger for current mass produced chips by sheer volume

MuchoMalo

Banned
RIP in piece $199 price point.

Its still mainly a portable. It can't be more than $249 right? Nintendo pls think about the 3DS launch bomba. :(
And my funds lol.

It can still hit $200 with Pascal. It depends on teh specs and the screen. There's not going to be a $50 difference between two SoCs lol.

Also, yes! Now we just need to know the exact specs. Nate's saying that Nvidia will announce iot though, which interesting. Either way, this explains the delay. Expect something 20-40% faster than the X1 at best when in console mode, and 60-70% of the X1's power in portable mode.

oti

Banned
WHAT DOES IT MEAN!

giphy.gif

Nibel

So NateDrake is an insider now? Not saying my dude is a fraud but I haven't followed things the past daya and wonder what is trackrecord is

KingBroly

Banned
If the Nvidia President isn't the one presenting/marketing NX to people, Nintendo is making a huge mistake. That guy can sell paper.

MuchoMalo

Banned
We still missing something fam

There's something else that hasn't been leaked yet

This doesn't feel like enough info lmao

I'm referring to the idea Nintendo didn't want competitors to steal btw

The Pascal Tegra can communicate with a dedicated GPU. Upgrade your console for $150-200 instead of $400-500! :D

Or they were just lying. Probably that.

udivision

So it might actually have some decently modern hardware.

But it'll be smaller than... every single home console ever made ever (at release)?
And it'll be cheaper than we expect?

Eolz

As said in the other thread: great if it's really Pascal. Not that great if it's a really dumbed down Pascal (slightly better than X1 in terms of perf but way better for battery/heat)...

It can still hit $200 with Pascal. It depends on teh specs and the screen. There's not going to be a $50 difference between two SoCs lol.

Also, yes! Now we just need to know the exact specs. Nate's saying that Nvidia will announce iot though, which interesting. Either way, this explains the delay. Expect something 20-40% faster than the X1 at best when in console mode, and 60-70% of the X1's power in portable mode.
When is the Nvidia conference again?

Kathian

Banned
Maybe its down clocked when portable for a lower res screen then full powered when docked to achieve 1080p?

That seems actually a perfect solution and perfectly manageable power solution with any modern GPU.

DESTROYA

Maybe Nvidia is footing some of the bill since they are supplying their Tegra chipset for Nintendo. Maybe they will have their logo plastered on the backside of the handheld. Maybe Nintendo and Nvidia came to some big agreements.

If not then it's likely a last gen Tegra before the X1
That's highly unlikely unless they desperately want to get back into consoles, think about you pour millions of dollars into a new design and SOC and your going to be giving away at cost, makes absolutely no business sense.

thefro

That's highly unlikely unless they desperately want to get back into consoles, think about you pour millions of dollars into a new design and SOC and your going to be giving away at cost, makes absolutely no business sense.

That's what the semiaccurate.com report said. Actually said Nvidia might be losing money on the deal.

The article is available to subscribers only, however the gist of it is this:

• Though Nvidia downplayed console margins, their pride was hurt by the loss in console contracts. All the talk about "focusing on Shield" was a cover for the fact that MS and Sony had soured on them and would not enter negotiations.
  • Nvidia team was told to get a console win or "go home." Enter Nintendo, who apparently made off very well in this deal. This to the point that SemiAccurate questions whether this is a "win" at all for Nvidia.
  • SA has heard that Nvidia are promising software, support, and the whole shebang at a very low cost. According to one source, Nvidia may even be taking a loss on this deal. (Take the second sentence here with an extra portion of salt)
  • Not mentioned which generation of Tegra or which process node will be used or when the handheld is scheduled for release.
  • No mention of the home console, but we can speculate what that might be and who might provide the chipset for that one.

http://semiaccurate.com/2016/05/12/guess-whos-silicon-is-in-nintendos-nx/

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Pascal could also mean more efficiency instead of more power, right? Less space, less heat.

You can't decouple the two especially on mobile because it doesn't matter what the chip could do in perfect settings it matters what the chip can achieve in real world settings with TMP concerns.

psyfi

Banned
If the Nvidia President isn't the one presenting/marketing NX to people, Nintendo is making a huge mistake. That guy can sell paper.
As someone with little interest in cutting edge graphics tech, I find this laughable, but I'll take your word for it. I had never heard of the Tegra X1 till this thread, haha.

Well Nvidia luanched the current X1 Shield for $200 and that was over a year ago, so it's not really strange to think Nintendo could make something for a similar price given the economies of scale and Nvidia needed a console design win.

WENmJQ8.png

Pascal you say?

So what are the benefits of it? Any expert feel like explaining please? :)

Nobody knows much about the new Tegra X2, but Pascal's improvements in power efficiency and heat dissipation are a given, which allows for better performance within the power envelop of a handheld.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom