• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no logic in getting an expensive chip to gimp it both in no. of SMMs and clock. Not when stock X1 at 300mhz consumes 1.5 watts. It would be a horrible business decision.

Come on.

Edit: I understand keeping expectations in check, but this is more like a death wish or something.

X1 at 500Mhz consume 1.5W, but that is solely for the GPU. You're not factoring memory or CPU here. The point is that Nvidia has a great power consumption for GPUs. Better than PowerVR as X1 GPU consummed 1 less watt than iPad Air 2 GPU for the same performances.

It's not gimping a chip because if Nintendo is only licensing it to produce their custom chip, it could mean they want something different.

You know

It wouldnt be a bad idea to set our expectations at the minimum

That way the only way to go is up from there

It's not about expectations, it's about reading correctly the informations we're getting.

People would kill themselves if this is the NX lol

Well, Wii U speculations for hardware started from 1Teraflop to end up all down to 176gflops. That's more than 5.5 times lower :p

Griss

Yeah people need to realize the next Nintendo portable may really well be able to do way better than that, with a crystal sharp IQ on a 5" screen. That's just science fiction for portable game play.

LhMKryJ.gif

Seeing this gif just reminds me that whether this thing uses X1 or X2 or a custom N1, whether it's viciously underclocked to save battery or not, whether there's a home console coming or not...

...don't worry about the future, it's alright.

MuchoMalo

Banned
A fan being loud is subjective. How the person is tolerant to noise, room temp, but also the fan itself.
I'm not saying it'll be 1SMM, I'm just reminding you people that when we say it's X1, it's designating a product with precise specs. The only unknown is the clockspeed. When we say Pascal, it's designating an architecture without any infos on the precise specs and clockspeed.

As for my 800 > 480 > 320 > 160 downgrade for Wii U, you must have missed the 4-5 Wii U Speculation Threads.

And I'm saying that your pessimism is unfounded, unless you think the fan is there just as a precaution. We don't even know the size of the thing either. It could be a small tablet and thus capable of running at the same speed as the Pixel C.

You said that the dev kit was downgraded in those steps, not that those were speculated ALU counts. And again, it being 160 was never confirmed.

It's mindblowing what Nintendo can do with crummy hardware.
Xenoblade is super impressive. Yeah, the characters are kind of ugly and there's very little collision, but the scale and being able to fly anywhere (the scene where you fly out of the city 😩) is all pretty crazy.
Having that tech ready at the beginning of the generation for them is excellent as they can take full advantage of the work they put in the Wii U.

Danneee

I love cpu/gpu speculation before new console unveiling. They always go from realistic to extremely hopeful to disappointment.

It's Nintendo, they go for good enough performance and higher profit margins on their hardware. And if this will be "cheap" it most likely won't have the latest gpu tech. If Nvidia by some weird reason is selling it to them cheaper than older stuff, and why would they do that?

And I'm saying that your pessimism is unfounded, unless you think the fan is there just as a precaution. We don't even know the size of the thing either. It could be a small tablet and thus capable of running at the same speed as the Pixel C.

You said that the dev kit was downgraded in those steps, not that those were speculated ALU counts.

I never said the devkit was downgraded you misreaded me. I said people speculated when first hardware infos were leaked and that when the R700 name was first seen, it quickly became RV770. Even IGN putted together a Project Café specced PC around an HD4850.

Also, I'm not being pessimistic here. You're reading whatever you want, I'm just telling you people to progress with caution and avoid shortcuts such as Pascal = Tegra Next Specs = Faster than X1.

As for the 160 alu, it's confirmed now since the die shots.

Bitanator

You said that the dev kit was downgraded in those steps, not that those were speculated ALU counts. And again, it being 160 was never confirmed.

Damn when even MuchoMalo call some member pessimistic and hyperbolic you know you be stepping out of bounds

Davey Cakes

The NX is going to be leaps and bounds more powerful than 3DS and Vita. Of course, the efficiency of Pascal will be a god send for battery life, most importantly. You can't offer an on-the-go system with Wii U Gamepad-like battery life. Apparently Nintendo realized this!

Handheld gamers should be THRILLED.

I prefer console experiences to handheld but that could very likely change if Nintendo truly releases a beast.

McHuj

Why, what's the memory bandwidth for the stock X1?

I'm not sure, but the X1 has sufficient BW for better than WiiU gaming on a HD TV, however, I think Nintendo will size the handhelds components for the screen and battery life of the handheld.

I'm hoping the base can offer additional processing for TV gaming. Hopefully that's what those supplemental computing device patents indicate.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I never said the devkit was downgraded you misreaded me. I said people speculated when first hardware infos were leaked and that when the R700 name was first seen, it quickly became RV770. Even IGN putted together a Project Café specced PC around an HD4850.

Also, I'm not being pessimistic here. You're reading whatever you want, I'm just telling you people to progress with caution and avoid shortcuts such as Pascal = Tegra Next Specs = Faster than X1.

As for the 160 alu, it's confirmed now since the die shots.

To my understanding, the die shots left that as the most likely case, but it wasn't totally confirmed. Since it's pessimistic everyone obviously takes it as fact, but the die shots aren't enough for full confirmation.

Damn when even MuchoMalo call some member pessimistic and hyperbolic you know you be stepping out of bounds

HIGH FIVE

orioto

Good Art™
X1 at 500Mhz consume 1.5W, but that is solely for the GPU. You're not factoring memory or CPU here. The point is that Nvidia has a great power consumption for GPUs. Better than PowerVR as X1 GPU consummed 1 less watt than iPad Air 2 GPU for the same performances.

It's not gimping a chip because if Nintendo is only licensing it to produce their custom chip, it could mean they want something different.

It's not about expectations, it's about reading correctly the informations we're getting.

Well, Wii U speculations for hardware started from 1Teraflop to end up all down to 176gflops. That's more than 5.5 times lower :p

Yeah that's why i'm cautious to..
And there is the gimmick, that dual controller thing. We don't know. What if that uses a lot of watts and Nintendo wants it so they need an extra low power consumption for the rest. And they can totally think "Vita graphics are a fine upgrade" you know. Always be cautious with those ones, always..

I noticed everyone is hyped about that console for power and shared library but when you try to imagine it at some point you're like "ha shit there is this detachable controllers that we have no idea how they work and what they bring, hmmm will that ruin everything ??" You had almost everything right Nintendo!

Unfortunately it's always the same problem. I can see how that detachable controller thing can be a draw for the casual gamers. And Nintendo wants and needs that. At least that's what they think. So they cannot just give "us" what we want. They can do the perfect gaming device right now, but are we enough for them ?

I think the worse part is that.. Nintendo in beast mode with an unified hardware, all their software, capacity to create super popular new ips, the japan stuff (Vita is dying so they have the market for them in Japan, wich is a mistake by Sony), the kids stuffs, the fact that many people boycotting portable gameplay could be interested by this one for obvious reasons (power, tv mode, console scaled games...).. I think Nintendo could have its own really big market this time, without blue ocean nor red ocean. I mean that even without replacing XBO/PS4, not selling a fad to grandmas, they could still have a big market on their own.

To my understanding, the die shots left that as the most likely case, but it wasn't totally confirmed. Since it's pessimistic everyone obviously takes it as fact, but the die shots aren't enough for full confirmation.

HIGH FIVE

I mean, we clearly identified the ALU parts in the die shots. It's basically confirmed. It's not about being pessimistic, it's a fact. The die shots are more than enough.

And there is the gimmick, that dual controller thing. We don't know. What if that uses a lot of watts and Nintendo wants it so they need an extra low power consumption for the rest. And they can totally think "Vita graphics are a fine upgrade" you know. Always be cautious with those ones, always..

I noticed everyone is hyped about that console for power and shared library but when you try to imagine it at some point you're like "ha shit there is this detachable controllers that we have no idea how they work and what they bring, hmmm will that ruin everything ??" You had almost everything right Nintendo!

Unfortunately it's always the same problem. I can see how that detachable controller thing can be a draw for the casual gamers. And Nintendo wants and needs that. At least that's what they think. So they cannot just give "us" what we want. They can do the perfect gaming device right now, but are we enough for them ?

I think the worse part is that.. Nintendo in beast mode with an unified hardware, all their software, capacity to create super popular new ips, the japan stuff (Vita is dying so they have the market for them in Japan, wich is a mistake by Sony), the kids stuffs, the fact that many people boycotting portable gameplay could be interested by this one for obvious reasons (power, tv mode, console scaled games...).. I think Nintendo could take have its own really big market this time, without blue ocean nor red ocean. I mean that even without replacing XBO/PS4, not selling a fad to grandmas, they could still have a big market on their own.

I learned one thing with Wii U: Nintendo can always go worse than you imagine. 352gflops was the most pessimistic prediction for the GPU. It ended up twice lower.
I learned one other thing with Vita: Hardware specs, even when officially disclosed, can be misleading without clocks. Vita ended up 2 to 3 times slower than what the sheet specs could make people believe.

MuchoMalo

Banned

I think the worse part is that.. Nintendo in beast mode with an unified hardware, all their software, capacity to create super popular new ips, the japan stuff (Vita is dying so they have the market for them in Japan, wich is a mistake by Sony), the kids stuffs, the fact that many people boycotting portable gameplay could be interested by this one for obvious reasons (power, tv mode, console scaled games...).. I think Nintendo could take have its own really big market this time, without blue ocean nor red ocean. I mean that even without replacing XBO/PS4, not selling a fad to grandmas, they could still have a big market on their own.

It's a damn controller...

joecanada

It will kick the shit out of WiiU and more importantly 3DS

What more do we need?

Well if by we you mean hardcore Nintendo fans then probably it will be fine.

But if it doesn't kick the shit (or at least compete) out of actual devices that steal marketshare - tablets, phones, etc then Nintendo is going to have a problem...

except maybe in japan.

Teuoxton

What kind of interface do you all think the cartridges will use? I'm unfamiliar with read speeds for SDXC or PCI-e x16 (somebody mentioned the latter early on in this thread) and how they compare to Blu-ray. Will load times may be a thing of the past?

MuchoMalo

Banned
I mean, we clearly identified the ALU parts in the die shots. It's basically confirmed. It's not about being pessimistic, it's a fact. The die shots are more than enough.

Maybe I missed something if that's true, but I've seen that thread and what I remember is that someone said that something was weird and everyone then came to that conclusion.

I'm really interested in seeing that Darksiders remaster. If it's really 160 SPs, the Wii U version should run at like 15FPS.

wrowa

It's kinda mindblowing that even if it just uses the X1, the NX will produce better visuals than that

Absolutely. The idea to have Xenoblade X level of graphics on a handheld is kinda mindblowing and definitely much better than what I would have expected from Nintendo's next handheld (which was more along the lines of a slightly better Vita).

Console-wise the performance might be disappointing, but on the handheld side it'd be a huge step up.

orioto

Good Art™
It's a damn controller...

Really ?

If it's two controllers, with their own wireless system, battery, gyro and who knows how many techs in it.. Nintendo can totally dedicate a biiig part of their ressources for a console on the gimmick. Look at the gamepad and how it tanked the price of the WiiU. If they believe in a thing..

shingi70

Banned
How will this work for games with two versions or that play differently. Does this essentially kill ever getting a handheld style zedla or Mario.

We know DQX is coming would the game run a dual.mode to switch game styles depending on which version is running.

You guys expecting a price announcement in September .

oti

Banned
Explain to me the difference in power between 3DS and Pascal Tegra in Nintendo Badge Arcade Bunny power levels plz.

Speely

Banned
How will this work for games with two versions or that play differently. Does this essentially kill ever getting a handheld style zedla or Mario.

We know DQX is coming would the game run a dual.mode to switch game styles depending on which version is running.

You guys expecting a price announcement in September .

Games won't need two versions. That's the whole purpose. All Marios and Zeldas will be portable, theoretically.

Now, as a more positive note, if it's based on Pascal and more specifically Tegra Next (so, 3SMM as speculated), we could end up with a handheld which could land into the 230gflops territory in the worst case (300mhz) up to 1Tflop if running at full clock when docked (which I would assume, close to 1200mhz)

MuchoMalo

Banned
Really ?

If it's two controllers, with their own wireless system, battery, gyro and who knows how many techs in it.. Nintendo can totally dedicate a biiig part of their ressources for a console on the gimmick. Look at the gamepad and how it tanked the price of the WiiU. If they believe in a thing..

And their own battery. You charge the battery and that's how they get power. The only things affecting power consumption on the device's end are the Bluetooth connection and processing. Unless there's some additional gimmick to the controller/controllers, there's no reason to believe that it would have any major effect on power consumption.

Now, as a more positive note, if it's based on Pascal and more specifically Tegra Next (so, 3SMM as speculated), we could end up with a handheld which could land into the 230gflops territory in the worst case (300mhz) up to 1Tflop if running at full clock when docked (which I would assume, close to 1200mhz)

I'm sticking with 256 GFLOPS as the minimum with two SMs at 500MHz. There's no reason for them to lower than that. For the best case, 3 SMs at 700MHz. You're forgetting about the fact that FinFET allows much higher clock speeds than older Planar processes, so 300MHz is way too low. That said, I'm also assuming a much larger screen than even Vita, meaning a larger heatsink and battery.

Really ?

What makes you think the wireless, battery and gyro controls would be built into the detachable controller parts? I personally think that the detachable controls will be pretty dumb and rely on whatever they attach to. This allows them to sell a pro-style controller, containing the above-mentioned parts, on it's own that can be used for dedicated at-home play.

orioto

Good Art™
What makes you think the wireless, battery and gyro controls would be built into the detachable controller parts? I personally think that the detachable controls will be pretty dumb and rely on whatever they attach to. This allows them to sell a pro-style controller on it's own that can be used for dedicated at-home play.

That's interesting if possible yeah

I like both of your lines of thinking, but i just want to mention that Eurogamer tweeted after the first articles were posted that the HH does have two separate detachable controllers.

I honestly think Eurogamer just misunderstood their sources when interpreting this part of the rumor.

antispin

I'm expecting a down-clocked SoC to keep power envelope low. Not sure that they'll use the dock to throttle up either, doesn't seem very Nintendo. I'd gladly be wrong though.

As a handheld gamer, I'm happy either way. Hopefully it's as well thought through as the DS and the Wii. I felt the 3DS and the WiiU were not as elegant.

dancmc

I love new console speculation/discussion threads. I get the gist of < 20% of what people are talking about regarding the tech talk but it's so fun to see detective gaf don their Deerstalker hats + long-stem pipes and get to work

Hermii

I'm expecting a down-clocked SoC to keep power envelope low. Not sure that they'll use the dock to throttle up either, doesn't seem very Nintendo. I'd gladly be wrong though.

As a handheld gamer, I'm happy either way. Hopefully it's as well thought through as the DS and the Wii. I felt the 3DS and the WiiU were not as elegant.
What's the point of a dock if it doesn't power it up, it wouldn't even be more expensive and it would allow for higher tv resolutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom