• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It is the reverse of the Wii U, like I hypothesized months ago. The TV connection probably hooks up by HDMI and the controller streams to the box, reverse of Wii U.

Not too far off from conjecture, although I'm not sure anyone considered the detatchable controller concept?

As ever, I'm only getting it if it's region free though, however cool it may be.

Zareka

woah what

Don't know how I feel about this. I'll have to hear more about it. That said, if the games generally looks as nice as BotW? Sweeet.

Spinluck

Will it at least be more powerful than Wii U?

I'm all for it, but I don't want a weaker system.

It being portable makes me feel like we'll get something that isn't too capable.

Hold up, ain't Breath of The Wild rumored to be on this thing? :O

I'm having a hard time picturing that running on a handheld...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nintendo realized they cant outdo the PS4 at this point - so double down on what they are great at - Handheld Gaming.

Cant wait to see the device...i have been waiting for a 4DS for quite some time now.

The idea falls and lives by how powerful the device is though.

Griss

'It will never be a hybrid'

At this stage the easiest way to see what Nintendo will do is see what their hardcore fanboys claim they will never do.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Whoa! I'm listening Nintendo. Sell me a system again!

Last time was the SNES hardcore, Wii for a very, very short period.

I was always on #TeamHybrid, so this is sounding nice.

Beartruck

A concept like this would be great. I'm waiting to see how the execution of this plays out. The ergonomics of the controller would have to be perfect.

KoopaTheCasual

Isn't this what everyone thought it was going to be until Iwata explicitly said it wasn't going to be a hybrid?
Nintendo has lied about a lot of things that were later confirmed. To be honest, I'm not even sure why I (and others) even used Iwata's words as confirmation of it not being a hybrid.

Monketron

Neo Member
One of the major issues with the Wii U was lack of 3rd party ports. Basically turning the console into a '2nd console' rather than a Primary one for most people.

This is only going to be worse for the NX if this is true.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So it's a hybrid.

I FUCKING CALLED IT.

Neoxon. Paging Neoxon.

you and everyone else in the world call it. Congrats.

I'm really glad about this, we already have 2 powerful consoles and PC's for all of our graphic kicks. I like they are doing something different, will give me a reason to look at it.

Plum

Will it at least be more powerful than Wii U?

I'm all for it, but I don't want a weaker system.

It being portable makes me feel like we'll get something that isn't too capable.

Hold up, ain't Breath of The Wild rumored to be on this thing? :O

I'm having a hard time picturing that running on a handheld...

Not just rumored, but confirmed by Nintendo themselves.

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/06/...-different-visuals-on-nx-but-same-experience/

"Different visuals" is a strange choice of words though.

Taker666

I can't see myself buying it to be honest. First time for a Nintendo console.

I just don't want a new handheld and I'll resent having to pay the extra for it just so I can play the console.

Hopefully Nintendo will release a standalone console version for a lower price at some point.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I like this for numerous reasons.

1) Eliminates software drought. Nintendo can't support two libraries.
2) System will get easy ports from PS4/XB1
3) Two detachable controllers gives plenty of possibilities for control schemes.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds freaking fantastic. Nintendo's teams only have to focus on a single platform now rather than a console and a handheld.

Yep. This is what I've been quietly hoping for. I will be over the moon if this is true.

Branduil

Huh.

I'm not a fan of this idea. The reasons why a hybrid is a bad idea have been discussed at length, and I don't see any reason to think those have gone away. Would have much preferred a separate, more powerful home console which plays the same games.

"Due to the radical change in hardware design and internal technology, we've been told by one source that there are no plans for backwards compatibility"

DrArchon

As someone that never games on the go, I'd be quite disappointed if this turned out to be true. I hope the system is at least as powerful as the Wii U because otherwise I'd have no reason to get it except for the exclusive games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom