• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordOfChaos

128bit bus on Parker? So no 6GB ram limit like speculated before?

Yep. 192 bit would have made it either 3 or 6GB, 128 bit means standard capacities (2, 4, 8, etc).

2-630.3489456357.png

Reaaaallly curious if Nintendo will stick to near the standard X2. 2 Denver cores and 4 A57s would be an...Interesting choice for a console. And I don't mean bad by interesting, just, literally interesting.

Denver is great in a straight line, but since it's actually a VLIW architecture with a binary translator for ARM, it chokes up on spaghetti code sequences. A57s don't have this problem. So if you used both how they should be, results could be interesting.

Then again it's Denver 2,so the problems with nonlinear progression code will probably have been the first thing they address...

A72s aren't much different in die size than A57s though, I wonder why Nvidia is sticking to them?

MuchoMalo

Banned
Rösti;214576674 said:

Probably the same slides here. So, nothing of interest to us.

128bit bus on Parker? So no 6GB ram limit like speculated before?

Yes, that would mean up to 12GB in a standard memory config with two chips.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Nintendo isn't going to market NX as simply a portable, so claiming it's simply their next handheld makes little sense.

It's going to contain many console experiences (like Breath of the Wild).

NX is not simply a successor to the 3DS. It's also a successor to their home console line. So, people have every right to be disappointed in its power from that perspective.

That being said, who cares? It's a device that will receive 100% of the attention from all of Nintendo's internal and external partners. It's more than worth it in my view.

If there will be no dock and just a hdmi output it is hard to call it a hybrid to me.
And we dont even know if, after the initial portable with cable NX they will or not present a new hw in her pipeline
As far as we know it is an handheld that can be plugged in the tv

Per sé if the rumors are true it will be a pretty hot hw

As a home console it could be just a "wii", that still was more worth it that the more powerful wiiu

What I am trying to say is that judging it as a home console seems...weird?

ozfunghi

imo all of these "super" & "gameboy" type names are just the type of childish, toxic branding Nintendo should avoid.

Ok, Yado, what do you think they should use? Dreamstation? Playcube? Gamecast? Zeus? Origin? Apocalypse? X78B? Universe Z1? WiiPad?

If there will be no dock and just a hdmi output it is hard to call it a hybrid to me.
And we dont even know if, after the initial portable with cable NX they will or not present a new hw in her pipeline
As far as we know it is an handheld that can be plugged in the tv

Per sé if the rumors are true it will be a pretty hot hw

As a home console it could be just a "wii", that still was more worth it that the more powerful wiiu

What I am trying to say is that judging it as a home console seems...weird?

I mean, you can call it whatever you want, but if all of Nintendo's teams are creating software for it and if a lot of that software will be console-like experiences and if it is going to be a device that can be played easily on both the TV and in portable form, I'd say it's more than simply a new handheld.

Also, let's be real. A device that is simply the successor to 3DS would not be receiving this type of power boost . Its specs would end up being far more modest.

Neoxon

Ok, Yado, what do you think they should use? Dreamstation? Playcube? Gamecast? Zeus? Origin? Apocalypse? X78B? Universe Z1? WiiPad?
They certainly can't use the Game Boy name in this day & age, but I'm sure Nintendo has a decent name in mind.....or at least I hope so.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Yep. 192 bit would have made it either 3 or 6GB, 128 bit means standard capacities (2, 4, 8, etc).

Not quite. It all depends on the type and width of the memory used. For GDDR5 (which uses 32-bit chips in sizes which are powers of two) you're correct, but LPDDR4 comes in 64-bit modules and capacities of 1, 2, 3, 4, or 6GB. A 128-bit bus would be able to use two of these chips.

For clarity, Tegra X2 with 128bit memory interfaces will support 8GB of system RAM, and 4GB of dedicated video RAM. Would be an interesting config. The Vita had dedicated video RAM didn't it? Differentiated it from the regular mobile chips that had all unified.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-drive-px2-pascal-gtc-2016/

Those aren't actually official limits by Nvidia; those are just from the PX2 specs. Also, the VRAM is for the dedicated GP106 GPU, not for the SoC GPU.

ozfunghi

Reductio ad absurdum aside, Rice and or the accompanying Pre-made Sauces aren't being marketed to the same demographic as a handheld gaming device. Not to mention the sauce/rice demographic is hardly a hotbed of explosive gender/sexism/racism related debate right now. Gaming kinda is.

I'm not saying it will cause a problem for it to be called "_____Gameboy" etc, I'm saying Nintendo will probably not take the risk. Besides, nostalgia aside, it sounds pretty rubbish imo ;)

Rice is being marketed to everyone old enough to prepare a simple meal. Male, female from any etnicity, worldwide, even the poorest of the poor. Pretty sure every potential NX owner has eaten rice at least once in his/her life. And the issue with something like Uncle Ben is much much worse.

But anyway, they can call it the Gamegirl for all i care.

Neoxon

Rice is being marketed to everyone old enough to prepare a simple meal. Male, female from any etnicity, worldwide, even the poorest of the poor. Pretty sure every potential NX owner has eaten rice at least once in his/her life. And the issue with something like Uncle Ben is much much worse.

But anyway, they can call it the Gamegirl for all i care.
But after all the progress Nintendo has made in terms of getting women into gaming, especially with the DS, it'd be seen as backwards to return to the Game Boy brand & undo some of that progress for the sake of nostalgia.

Plus, what Eurogamer described is a hybrid system, not a straight-up handheld.

LordOfChaos

I see, just trying to get caught up on the slide deck at work lol.

This answers my previous curiosity... The compiler and scheduler may be good enough that a programmer doesn't have to think about whether a task should go on the A57 cores or the Denver 2 cores, as both have different strengths and weaknesses.

6-630.1994716266.png

And maybe I'm reading into it but they call out "automotive and gaming"...Nvidia seemed to be shifting Tegra primarily for Automotive previously, giving up on phones.

PSqueak

Banned
imo all of these "super" & "gameboy" type names are just the type of childish, toxic branding Nintendo should avoid.

Are you aware that the biggest console and rival for nintendo right now is a thing called the "play station".

How is that any less childish?

Neoxon

Are you aware that the biggest console and rival for nintendo right now is a thing called the "play station".

How is that any less childish?
The issue with the Game Boy name isn't so much the childish aspect as it is the gender stereotyping, especially in an era where our society is more aware of shit like that.

Do you think Nintendo could market it like a retro system?

Wasn't there a rumor about a retro advertising campaign some time ago? I mean, the NES Classic came about as well, and with the nostalgia of Pokemon GO, either it's a REALLY weird coincidence or they could be doing just that. So could it have a name that would kind of match? Something corny that rings?

I mean, the Nintendo Game System could be possible.

Kimishima also said it's built to be used for a very long time. They could probably go for a generationless system like what Xbox is planning, and the smartphone upgrade scenario seems to be the future of consoles, and Nintendo doesn't care much for licensing the use for BluRay movies and all that stuff.

Peterc

True about Playstation. I agree wii is a bad name. It was good for one round.
Ok, are we getting any smarter from Nvidia announcements? Because they clearly didn't announce anything about nx. What of course make SMD happy

NateDrake

Ok, are we getting any smarter from Nvidia announcements? Because they clearly didn't announce anything about nx. What of course make SMD happy

No one said they would announce anything related to NX.

It's not Nvidia's job to announce another company's hardware. Also, if Nintendo is really using new Pascal hardware, then this would basically be the "Okay" from Nvidia to announce NX and properly talk about the use of the chip in the NX system.

True Nate, but most have expected some hint.

One of their slides about performance specifically mentioned gaming, which flies in the face of the idea that they don't have gaming applications in mind.

That kind of flies in the face of SMD's narrative that they haven't talked about Tegra being used for gaming or mobile devices (just automotive), and so therefore there's nothing going on in that area.

NateDrake

One of their slides about performance specifically mentioned gaming, which flies in the face of the idea that they don't have gaming applications in mind.

That kind of flies in the face of SMD's narrative that they haven't talked about Tegra being used for gaming or mobile devices (just automotive), and so therefore there's nothing going on in that area.

Also a good point. SMD has stood on the soapbox stating that Nvidia is done with gaming when it comes to Tegra. Nvidia proved this is false with that slide.

It won't change his narrative. Nothing will.

Peterc

Ok thanks, good to know, where can I check the slide?

LordOfChaos

Also a good point. SMD has stood on the soapbox stating that Nvidia is done with gaming when it comes to Tegra. Nvidia proved this is false with that slide.

Ok thanks, good to know, where can I check the slide?

My post right above is the slide in question

If the full 4 A57 + 2 Denver 2 configuration makes it to the NX, I'd definitely give the CPU side of that a slight nod over 6.something Jaguar cores.

Neoxon

And since they're done with the Shield devices, the NX is probably the most likely candidate for gaming uses for the Parker (or a variant of the Parker).

The funny thing is he won't make a video saying how their slide mentions them and gaming lol.

MuchoMalo

Banned
So... I think the name will be "Mii U"

I could tweet him, but he would just ignore it for the sake of his narrative lol.

I think the probably secretly has "sources" lying to him about there being Neo-killer plan tbh.

The sad thing is, his narrative leaves him an easy out:

He can always claim that Nintendo's working on another device, even after it becomes clear that such a hypothetical device won't be "NX."

And since they're done with the Shield devices, the NX is probably the most likely candidate for gaming uses for the Parker (or a variant of the Parker).

Yeah, that's what makes it an actually noteworthy point.

Also interesting: one of the new features in Parker is HW-assisted virtualization. I know the slide talked about the applications for automotive, but I couldn't help but think about Nintendo's comments about virtualization.

Genyo Takeda (Senior Managing Director, Technology Fellow): I understand that, thanks to the evolution of computer technology, aiming to realize a virtualized software development environment that does not depend on specific hardware is becoming the technological norm today. Simultaneously, regarding input and output technologies, I believe that it is also in line with the current technological trend that Nintendo should challenge itself with the creation of a unique user interface.

I'm not tech-savvy by any means, but HW-assisted virtualization seems like a pretty important development for a chip that could be used in a mobile device. I'm not sure whether it's already been achieved/is commonly implemented in consumer mobile devices, though, so maybe it's not all that interesting.

Can we just get rid of the Mii branding forever?

LordOfChaos

If they did want to keep the Mii/Wii brand cloud alive, and I feel they don't, I think the natural progression would be

Wii
Wii U
Nintendo U

From us playing all together, to multiplayer enabled but a focus on one player, to a device you take with you everywhere that's just yours.

MuchoMalo

Banned
If they did want to keep the Mii/Wii brand cloud alive, and I feel they don't, I think the natural progression would be

Wii
Wii U
Nintendo U

From us playing all together, to multiplayer enabled but a focus on one player, to a device you take with you everywhere that's just yours.

"Wii" die, "Mii" will live on.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I see, just trying to get caught up on the slide deck at work lol.

This answers my previous curiosity... The compiler and scheduler may be good enough that a programmer doesn't have to think about whether a task should go on the A57 cores or the Denver 2 cores, as both have different strengths and weaknesses.

6-630.1994716266.png

And maybe I'm reading into it but they call out "automotive and gaming"...Nvidia seemed to be shifting Tegra primarily for Automotive previously, giving up on phones.

That's a great observation. Specific mention of gaming applications for Parker while Nvidia dropped the next Shield Tablet seems very relevant for our current rumour. On top of that the CPUs on this seem to align with the hint (lccgeek?) that CPU will be better than the Jaguars, given also the focus on HMP.

MoonFrog

Yeah, the clean, post-Nintendo branding of Wii/DS is probably done, I'd assume. Although maybe not, Miitomo was their first foray into mobile, but I think whatever the NX is, it'll lean more heavily on the Nintendo brand and gaming rather than going for that same clean, friendly, generic branding that the Wii/DS lines had that was in keeping with their Brain Age/Wii Sports/Wii Fit/Nintendogs line of software, rather than their software with more continuity to the pre-Wii/DS days. But I think we're all thinking this, no? With the return of red, Nintendo name front and center, use of the face buttons in the new slogan, etc...

Perhaps we're just seeing what we want to see though :p.

I could tweet him, but he would just ignore it for the sake of his narrative lol.

I think the probably secretly has "sources" lying to him about there being Neo-killer plan tbh.

Yes, I'm sure the guy who got a visit from the Nintendo Ninjas once already has some killer sources lined up.

Guy is a bit on the gullible side.

NateDrake

Oh he saw it. I won't link to his Tweet because it's as predicted.

Yeah, the clean, post-Nintendo branding of Wii/DS is probably done, I'd assume. Although maybe not, Miitomo was their first foray into mobile, but I think whatever the NX is, it'll lean more heavily on the Nintendo brand and gaming rather than going for that same clean, friendly, generic branding that the Wii/DS lines had that was in keeping with their Brain Age/Wii Sports/Wii Fit/Nintendogs line of software, rather than their software with more continuity to the pre-Wii/DS days. But I think we're all thinking this, no? With the return of red, Nintendo name front and center, use of the face buttons in the new slogan, etc...

Perhaps we're just seeing what we want to see though :p.

It's the only approach that makes sense if they're thinking of using mobile games and licensing as some of their primary marketing tools. They're going to need a platform-agnostic branding for their mobile titles and the licensed works, and they'll want that branding to overlap with their platforms, too.

what-ok

Ok, so I have been following this and other NX speculation and I don't remember Nintendo saying NX was a portable at all. I only heard it would be a hybrid. Whatever that means. Anyone else feel it will be a console first and then maybe an add on allows for off screen play, possible portability? Please don't hate on me if I missed Nintendo stating it's a portable. (=

Retrobox

So the NX can be taken on the go right? Well I've got an epiphany then! Ready for this?

The Nintendo EverWiiwhere

Well well well. Where do I apply now for a job as a Nintendo marketer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom