• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Star Wars Battlefront 2 has a loot crate problem.

jeffers

I miss classic online shooters were good where the only pay to win was the investment in your internet connection.

Gator86

Yikes, the industry is becoming more repulsive by the day. *hugs Nintendo switch*

The company thats fully embraced DLC exclusively locked behind $15 physical toys and season passes this year and already has gacha mobile games is -NEVER- going to embrace loot boxes in their console games.

Its a shame BF2 is plagued with this. I was super excited for this game but seeing this nonsense really sucks

Nintendo has so thoroughly bored its way into people's brains they don't even notice that Nintendo actively does the same shit as every other company. Amiibo are the dumbest implementation of DLC possible, managing to combine all of the negatives of on-disc locked DLC and crappy off the shelf commercial products.

Nokterian

Lee all have Steam and PSN backlogs to get to anyway. Time to start playing some of those games we haven't gotten around to, and rewarding all the games that are free of loot box cancer by leaving positive reviews for them.

Oh i'm playing other games, at the moment Warframe.

Is this much different than how PvZ: Garden Warfare worked? I didn't mind that so much. I suppose, for me, it comes down to how long it takes to unlock stuff. Definitely not a fan of this trend either way.

Garden Warfare never had repeating unlocks (as far as actual character pieces and abilities), which I think makes all the difference. Also they had sticker packs that you were guaranteed to unlock a new character/ability with so you at some idea of what you were getting. Lastly Garden Warfare was generous with coins; Im not a great player but I always had enough to purchase a new character after about 3-4 matches. I never felt the urge to purchase anything in that game.

EDIT: another thing that was different is that I dont believe Garden Warfare ever gave you cards that reduced damage you recieve, which is a huge difference. The new characters were usually pretty well balanced out as well, one would do fire damage that would last but the damage is less than say, a regular character so its more of a trade off than an advantage (although there were a few notable exceptions)

I'll use my 10 free hours through ea access to beat the campaign and be done with the game.

Can't support this bullcrap loot box practice

Freeman76

It really isn't.

Okay, you don't care about cosmetics, but it's obviously not the same for everyone else. Being able to play the game looking cool and just the way you want adds a lot to a game for many people.

All you can see is your gun. Looking good for online players is the only reason....and that is another issue entirely

You can't really add cosmetics to a star wars game.

I don't think that I will buy this now

Sure you can! Star Wars has one of the most diverse lineups of costumes in all of media lol.

Even the Clones themselves have like 20 different kinds of armor.

If the loot boxes were cosmetic, it would have made total sense. Unlocking various types of alien skins for the Rebels, armor designs for the Clones/ Stormtroopers etc would have been perfect for a modern day lootbox system.

Rodelero

Sure you can! Star Wars has one of the most diverse lineups of costumes in all of media lol.

Even the Clones themselves have like 20 different kinds of armor.

If the loot boxes were cosmetic, it would have made total sense. Unlocking various types of alien skins for the Rebels, armor designs for the Clones/ Stormtroopers etc would have been perfect for a modern day lootbox system.

It's a tricky balance. Could they design cosmetics appealing enough to drive significant revenue without damaging the authenticity of the game? I'm not sure, to be honest. This isn't Overwatch where you can easily design really radical looking skins, a stormtrooper still has to ultimately look like a stormtrooper. Even with your example of different types of clone armor, I'd prefer to have the clones suited consistently (as they are in the beta). Battlefront 2015 actually had cosmetics for different heads and so on, and the fact that you could take helmets off the stormtroopers really hurt the spectacle.

I think if you look at the games that make a lot of money from cosmetics it's usually pretty clear that the main revenue drivers are the crazy looking stuff. It's a bad fit for Battlefront. Cosmetics are definitely something they can do, but they have to be careful with it and that probably makes it impossible for them to generate enough revenue to support the game long term.

le.phat

looks like we've reached the tipping point where these gambling systems are called out for the callous shit they are. Ofcourse it took those greedy sons of bitches at EA to REALLY strap in and see how far they could squeeze us to get more money.

They truly have no love or respect for us, their consumers. Fuck the industry, fuck these corporate CUNTS who see us as a fat teat to suckle on, and FUCK EVERYONE in the industry that subscribes to this system. Wether you're a developer, a product manager, an art director, game balancer, a reviewer, QA.

If you let these systems pass, or worse, if you have a stake in bringing these systems into existence, then you acknowledge that we are shit to you and I hope capitalism will come around and bite you in the ass.

Fbh

"Use the force, Luke"
"Sorry, haven't unlocked it yet. But there is a 2% chance after this battle !!"

I enjoyed the Beta but... Yeah, not sure I'm getting the game after reading this.

Even if you were to take real money out of the picture, unlocking character and class upgrades with random loot boxes instead of actually using said characters is just a shit game mechanic

You can't really add cosmetics to a star wars game.

I don't think that I will buy this now

You sure can. I wouldn't be against having some ways to personalize your storm troopers and soldiers and weapons. And every hero could easily have a few alternate skins .

Yeah, having each stormtrooper look a bit different would take away from the authenticity of the experiences, but I'd take that over unlocking powerups and upgrades with loot boxes.

Actually it's even worse !

The only way to level up your class is through star cards (loot boxes) and not by playing it.
The more star cards you have, the higher level you are. Star cards are class specific and you get them in loot boxes.

Farsi

And that's EA's master plan,so that people start thinking this way.

No thank you. This is no where near as bad as some people are making it out to be if we're judging by the beta. I'm still happily paying the full 60 for this.

le.phat

And another game off my list..fucking hell, at this point bring back season passes..fuck.

Or use your power and don't buy the game new. Buy it second-hand, lend or rent it, but make sure they don't earn a cent until they fucking stop with these loathsome, shit practices.

Van Bur3n

Yep. Was wondering how to get weapons or the currency to blurb lock the expensive weapons you see when customizing a class.

Then I saw I got a weapon from a crate.

This game is a no buy.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
The company thats fully embraced DLC exclusively locked behind $15 physical toys and season passes this year and already has gacha mobile games is -NEVER- going to embrace loot boxes in their console games.

Its a shame BF2 is plagued with this. I was super excited for this game but seeing this nonsense really sucks

as long as they don't do it, I'm fine. Save your bloodlust for when it happens

Rodelero

looks like we've reached the tipping point where these gambling systems are called out for the callous shit they are. Ofcourse it took those greedy sons of bitches at EA to REALLY strap in and see how far they could squeeze us to get more money.

They truly have no love or respect for us, their consumers. Fuck the industry, fuck these corporate CUNTS who see us as a fat teat to suckle on, and FUCK EVERYONE in the industry that subscribes to this system. Wether you're a developer, a product manager, an art director, game balancer, a reviewer, QA.

If you let these systems pass, or worse, if you have a stake in bringing these systems into existence, then you acknowledge that we are shit to you and I hope capitalism will come around and bite you in the ass.

I mean... what they're doing in Battlefront II is probably less aggressive than what they've been doing in FIFA for almost ten years... but don't let me get in the way of your rage.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME

Yikes. I mean, like, wow...

Tahnit

Banned
I don’t think I will be buying any games with game altering lootcrates any longer. Cosmetics like overwatch I don’t have a problem with though/

_Ryo_

This shit is getting out of hand. Angry Joe made a nice angry rant video on this topic and I was floored on how far they have gone with this greedy business.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ne4CnyNW9O4

Angry Joe's (Unfinished) Math
In the BETA
Average of 15CM per loot crate
900 CM per class for 2 weapons
3 guns per class
4 classes
3x4 = 12 guns
12guns x 900 CM
10, 800 CM to unlock 12 weapons
10,800 CM /15M per loot crate =720 loot crate openings
so basically 720 loot crate opening for 12 guns
which he says you're rewarded the same amount of credits irregardless of how well you play the game. And it took them 5 hours to open 2 loot crates on average
And the items actually affect the gameplay such as decreasing damage, etc.

X____________X

Yeah I'm not touching this game. Ever. Which sucks because I was really interested in what I was seeing so far.

But I'm not going to deal with a F2P progression system in a full priced game.

In the BETA
3 guns per class
4 classes
3x4 = 12 guns
12guns x 900 CM
which he says you're rewarded the same amount of credits irregardless of how well you play the game. And it took them 5 hours to open 2 loot crates on average

X____________X

Best case scenario. EA takes all the negative feedback to heart and alters the loot drop rates or XP levels. What concerns me is that I believe it said somewhere in the beta that everything was accelerated so the actual game will take even longer to buy crates.

In the BETA
3 guns per class
4 classes
3x4 = 12 guns
12guns x 900 CM

X____________X

Ahahahahahaha

GTFO

In the BETA
3 guns per class
4 classes
3x4 = 12 guns
12guns x 900 CM

X____________X

Like, I'd give them a pass if you were consistently getting loot boxes. Even in Overwatch you get them quite a bit and they add events which give you bonus creates too but 720...???????????? What the fuck?

Rodelero

In the BETA
3 guns per class
4 classes
3x4 = 12 guns
12guns x 900 CM

X____________X

Pity Angry Joe missed out one of the main ways you get currency (at least in the beta) which is through challenges. Also, is 900 crafting materials correct? I don't think it is that much.

Wamb0wneD

Having said that, I think there is a slight clickbait thing going on with various sites jumping on loot crates at the moment, almost like they're trying to ride a hate bandwagon. This is what, the second article on this issue Eurogamer has put up? With the furore over Destiny (which ended up being far tamer than suggested by many journalists), you think they'd be a little more sceptical. Some of this stuff is coming across a little irresponsible in its incompleteness and how aggressively they are jumping to conclusions.

Or maybe the lootbox system runs more and more rampant throughout gaming in general while getting more and more brazen with the contents of them.
Destiny having one times use shaders and getting 3 of those shaders in boxes while you have 4 gear parts to use them on is manipulative as fuck and worth calling out.
The times when we complained about horse armor surely are far far away at this point. You remember the times when you could unlock weapons through normal gameplay? I do. This won't get better, it will get worse. The more journalists calling this crap out the better.

I don't know. I'm having a hard time seeing much a problem here other than you can pay real money it get stuff sooner.

Say I decide to not spend any money and just grind for loot crates in hopes of what I'm looking for. How is it any different than grinding in an RPG or MMO for that rare drop your looking for? At least it gives some incentive to keep playing and unlocking stuff rather than having everything thrown at you quickly. Really all its doing is deviating from a linear progression of leveling up your character and knowing what your getting as you increase in level, to a RNG system more along with lines of an standard loot based RPG. People grind thousands of hours is games like Diablo to get gear and never complain.

Yeah it's not really an RPG, but I guess I'm one of the few not to bothered by all of this.

Nokterian

Or use your power and don't buy the game new. Buy it second-hand, lend or rent it, but make sure they don't earn a cent until they fucking stop with these loathsome, shit practices.

I'm not buying it..already have removed games i wanted. So no worry i do vote with my wallet.

It really isn't.

Okay, you don't care about cosmetics, but it's obviously not the same for everyone else. Being able to play the game looking cool and just the way you want adds a lot to a game for many people.

It really is, even more so than usual in this context as it is being used simply as a crutch for the "NO LOOT BOXES AT ALL" argument. Cosmetics add plenty to some peoples imagination, they have no impact on game play. Wearing one dumb costume over another has zero bearing on the game play. You can hoot and holler about your "game play experience" all you want, its a nebulous statement that means you used your imagination. Actual game play is not affected. Your feelings might be, but feelings are not game play.

Glad big outlets are starting to talk about this. It's an absolute insult is what it is.

I don't know. I'm having a hard time seeing much a problem here other than you can pay real money it get stuff sooner.

Say I decide to not spend any money and just grind for loot crates in hopes of what I'm looking for. How is it any different than grinding in an RPG or MMO for that rare drop your looking for? At least it gives some incentive to keep playing and unlocking stuff rather than having everything thrown at you quickly. Really all its doing is deviating from a linear progression of leveling up your character and knowing what your getting as you increase in level, to a RNG system more along with lines of an standard loot based RPG. People grind thousands of hours is games like Diablo to get gear and never complain.

Yeah it's not really an RPG, but I guess I'm one of the few not to bothered by all of this.

Reading this is almost like you don't even know exactly how it works.

This is a PvP game, where normally you'd play enough, earn XP and reach level 10 and you'd unlock this weapon, then you'd reach level 15 and unlock this ability. Here, all of that is locked behind loot crates, with tiers. So you might only play as an Assault class for 30 hours and not unlock a single item for that class, acting as if you haven't made any progression with that class, meanwhile a class you never play might get maxed out.

It's not single player, it's not co-op. It's competitive.

Hjod

Banned
I think I'll keep playing Divinity on mys PS4 for the rest of my life.

I wasn't going to buy BF2 either way but the way this season is going I'm dreading for what they'll do next..

It really is, even more so than usual in this context as it is being used simply as a crutch for the "NO LOOT BOXES AT ALL" argument. Cosmetics add plenty to some peoples imagination, they have no impact on game play. Wearing one dumb costume over another has zero bearing on the game play. You can hoot and holler about your "game play experience" all you want, its a nebulous statement that means you used your imagination. Actual game play is not affected. Your feelings might be, but feelings are not game play.
feelings are fun though, and why else are people playing games.

I dont give a fuck about your gameplay experience, I care about mine. Customization is part of my gameplay experience and its been fucked over consistently in modern gaming.

Top Bottom