• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer - Switch screen is 6.2", 720p, Capacitive Multi-Touch, IR sensor

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
More at the source

A number of sources, including those who informed me of the Switch's design and detachable controllers back in July, have all confirmed other capabilities which Nintendo is currently keeping quiet.

Let's start with the Nintendo Switch's screen. It is 6.2" in size, 720p and - for the first time in any Nintendo device - boasts a capacitive multi-touch screen.

(Both 3DS and Wii U featured resistive touchscreens, reliant on pressure and less precise. They were also single-touch only.)

// Mod Edit:

So, how will the touchscreen work when the Switch is docked? While connected to your TV the Switch itself is out of reach - you play either with both JoyCon controllers attached to the system's grip or with a Pro Controller. The Switch's touchscreen is almost entirely obscured within the console's dock.

The answer may lie hidden in the right-hand JoyCon, which houses a short-range IR sensor in its base. This could be used to point at the TV to replicate basic touchscreen functionality, picked up by a corresponding IR sensor in the Switch's dock.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Pretty much bog standard these days for what they're putting out there, though admittedly like much of the NS, a bit outside the norm for Nintendo.

Eolz

Just like rumored...
Good to have a confirmation for the multitouch, would have been a shame to drop Miiverse and other stuff.

Inb4 people complaining about 720p for an handheld...

dracula_x

same display size as Wii U Gamepad screen, btw

0i41pTj.png

720p device releasing in 2017? You're kidding me, right?

Even if that is serviceable, people know what resolutions are these days and that won't be seen as a good thing in the eyes of the masses.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Just like rumored...
Good to have a confirmation for the multitouch, would have been a shame to drop Miiverse and other stuff.

Inb4 people complaining about 720p for an handheld...

What will it display to the TV? That is the question for this home console. =P

VariantX

Even if that is serviceable, people know what resolutions are these days and that won't be seen as a good thing in the eyes of the masses.

That would just eat up more resources that could go towards other things just to support a 1080p screen.

This is for video games though, it's not a tablet. Most tablets probably don't render the most graphically demanding games out there at 1080p.

Right now that seems like the best balance between resolution, size, power, and battery life, and price. We really just aren't there in terms of having a cheap device that can play modern games at high resolutions that won't burn out of battery life within an hour.

Genio88

They're just confirming what Emily Roger and that other girl said before...still what we really need to know about is real specs, battery life, and price and games and we won't get those information before january

Sure hope that dock does something for the res. I'm not planning on playing it on the go much, I don't want Switch games to be limited to 720p on my TV...

NeOak

You're one of those that want a 4K screen on your 5" phone...

SerTapTap

Seems like a disaster to me, not sure why everyone's so glad about this. If multitouch is an important part of games, playing it ino TV will be a mess. No, IR pointing is not a proper replacement for touch either. IR pointing is a huge part of why I avoid playing wii games.

Whole appeal to me and seeming core of the entire device was 1:1 play on console or portable. If that's not it this just seems like a mess.

Hopefully there's some sort of policy in place that multitouch can't be required/important.

As long as it's HD, I don't see the problem. The iPhone has a similar resolution.

Top Bottom