• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever been a part of an online community that lived, thrived, and then slowly died?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akoi

Gamespot forums.

That forum used to be my goto forum back in the late 90's early to mid 2000's. System wars was a crazy place back in the day..

I remember all Sony fanboys were called cows, Xbox fanboys were called lemmings, Nintendo were sheep, and PC were hermits.

Such good times...

The place is still around, but it's nothing like it used to be.

Stardestroyer was for the fans that felt the need to do calculations for how hot a turbolaster is, and how heavy the millennium falcon was

That sounds awful.

That makes me remember (jesus, I haven't thought of this in forever) an argument breaking out on a Usenet group (rec.arts.sf.starwars.misc, I think) about whether it was Luke or Han yelling out the numbers in the trash compactor.

Like, a real argument. Not a playful one. People getting legitmately upset.

Shit lasted for DAYS, too.

edit: I also remember watching CHUD.com start as a legit movie-news site, (its owner used to be a regular on CNN) to a site that was half/half known for its reporting and its community, to a site that was mostly about the community with a couple of its members writing cool articles on the mainpage, to almost all those writers bailing and the site becoming just a forum, and then the forum dwindling down to like, 50+ people getting in the same arguments they'd been having for the last 10 years.

catbird

Neo Member
Neopets was the shit.

I was a regular on Planet Neopia until it closed down :)

Man I never was much of a poster on other boards. Used to lurk Truth and Beauty Bombs and I don't think it's the same anymore, if it even exists. I also lurked hardcore the Snopes forums in the early 2000's.

higemaru

I was a part of Nsider before it got shut down. Then I joined Nsider2 and posted on that until 2009, they started to add way too much to it and it felt like the same couple people were posting (myself included)

I was also a part of The Chaos Theatre for a while but that was really just a small forum for a handful of people and I happened to get in early and I was well liked. I left when I got sick of people just talking about why Kingdom Hearts is the best game ever made.

I was a forum administrator for an anime website that was quite popular in its heyday. unfortunately, the owner of the website (who took the mantle from the previous one who decided to move on) wasn't the greatest when it came to you know, actually making improvements to the website/forum, or fixing massive bugs/errors/exploits on the website, which affected the forum as well. He was at first, don't get me wrong; But as time went, so did his interest in that particular aspect of the website.

Those of us on the admin/moderator team of the forum tried our best to maintain the website, even going to far as getting access to update the main website database ourselves and make basic site updates (i.e: new entries in the anime database). However, when parts of the website stop working and not getting fixed, parts that were quite important to the stability of said website, and more importantly: parts that the owner could only make concrete changes/fixes to, it became clear that we were on the losing end of this struggle.

Slowly but surely, the massive amount of users and views we used to get on the website/forum dwindled to only those few diehards, until eventually one day, the forum itself went down without any explanation, and I couldn't login to my account on the main website anymore. I (along with the other people on the team) found it impossible to get in touch with the site owner, who I assume decided to move onto other things without telling any of us.

The website is still up and you can access it, but its so buggy and nothing really works well (since it hasn't been actually updated in years), not to mention the fact that the database hasn't been updated with new entries. Its was once a really special (and popular) place on the internet, and I did think I was part of something unique. now it acts as a reminder why being a forum admin for a website that dies a slow death due to negligence/apathy sucks donkey balls.

I still click on the forum link now and then hoping that one day the forum will come back up.

Slayven

That sounds awful.

That makes me remember (jesus, I haven't thought of this in forever) an argument breaking out on a Usenet group (rec.arts.sf.starwars.misc, I think) about whether it was Luke or Han yelling out the numbers in the trash compactor.

Like, a real argument. Not a playful one. People getting legitmately upset.

Shit lasted for DAYS, too.

edit: I also remember watching CHUD.com start as a legit movie-news site, (its owner used to be a regular on CNN) to a site that was half/half known for its reporting and its community, to a site that was mostly about the community with a couple of its members writing cool articles on the mainpage, to almost all those writers bailing and the site becoming just a forum, and then the forum dwindling down to like, 50+ people getting in the same arguments they'd been having for the last 10 years.

They use to "invade" our comic board to have debates and wanted calculations and shit for Superman's heatvision and the mohs hardness of Mjornir. But when you ask them to quanitfy the force, they would get real quiet.

Vestal

Gold Member
Yeah, I figured you were just a board regular, only a few people were actually part of our guild. And yeah, the Vanguard thing was nuts. Though the people who took over admin'ing the site with the move to RR really drove it down the shitter with how they just let trolls run rampant.

Yeah the trolling really fucking killed things. But also lets not forget that MMO gaming in general has gone south regarding community building.

I will always say that what made EQ so fucking special was the US vs Them mentality of the Community vs the Devs, and the guild vs guild aspect of raiding.

I mean seriously at one point we had 100+ people attending FUCKING RAIDS!

opoth

Banned
The main one I can think of was being deeply involved in the emulation scene of the late 90s while things were slowly being perfected on the emulation side while at the same time the game selection slowly expanded.

Good times, but I think everyone moved on once most of the goals were accomplished.

SeanTSC

Yeah the trolling really fucking killed things. But also lets not forget that MMO gaming in general has gone south regarding community building.

I will always say that what made EQ so fucking special was the US vs Them mentality of the Community vs the Devs, and the guild vs guild aspect of raiding.

I mean seriously at one point we had 100+ people attending FUCKING RAIDS!

Yeah, it was a different time for MMOs back then.

ODWF and then it's many many failed incarnations after. It went through the hands of game nation, atari, namco bandai, and in its final form the company seemingly forgot that it existed and so there were about 7 of us remaining to post and it was basically a ghost town with some odd posts every now and then.

Nick, I know you're on netjeff somewhere.

Bleepey

A Nintendo gaming forum. It was like the place to go around 2003-6. However with the rise of Facebook, Neogaf and rising disinterest with the Wii the forum got less and less popular. There was a name change and I visit there like once a year or something but no one gives a shit. It had some characters, the Frenchman with the oh so very young girlfriend, the card carrying Republicans who drank the GOP kool aid, an acerbic witted Australian, a fat guy that kept making GIFs and a moderator with big tits. It's shocking how much I still remember.

Culex

Banned
I started posting on Xengen/Cloudchaser forums. I don't think they exist anymore. was a pretty tight knit community 15 years ago.

Then I found GAF, praise be GAF.

tm24

Snk-Capcom.com was a great site that had a great OT section

DGEmu was a shitty rom site with forced forum involvement to get download that i would gladly partake in again

theecakee

Yup a forum called Runelocus, it's still around and semi-active...but not nearly as active as it was.

It was a runescape private server site...07Scape and pking coming back really killed it

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I remember being on an old YYH forum back when I was 13. I can't even remember the name. Neopets was the other one.

GameFAQs, specifically Life, the Universe, and Everything. Followed it when they moved to LUElinks but haven't been there for a few years at least. To be honest, it could be alive and well over there in LUE land, but I outgrew it.
LUE is alive and well, luelinks? It's a smaller shitter 4chan now. After they removed the links luelinks died.

FLEABttn

Banned
I don't think they exist anymore. was a pretty tight knit community 15 years ago.

It sort of does but it's the same folks and maybe a page full of new threads per month. Not much a point besides nostalgia, which I don't have anymore.

Cherubae

Harvest Moon Otaku.

We were even ribbed a bit live on G4 for enjoying a farming game.

Funny thing, I still have the original site files from when they transferred its content to me back in 2006. A few years later some of them tried to revive the site and asked for a copy of the site. Got the OK from the original fellow and sent it to the new admins, who started out strong but then eventually piddled out like most every other HM fansite out there.

I remember when IGN took a screen capture of the site's index page and used it as a promo art for one of the games in the series. Just confirmed how unprofessional IGN was (and possibly still is).

Retro

AOL forums late 90s. Many many different communities all gone with no trace that they existed.

Hey Retro.

Howdy.

Ya know, in a way, I'm glad some of those communities are gone without a trace. I was 15 when I first got into online communities and I'd hate to read some of my posts from back then.

Piggus

GTAGaming

It was one of the top two or three GTA fan sites, but most people eventually moved to GTAForums or just lost interest. Now you need a direct link to access the forums, and only part of it is available.... And like three people post there every week or so. Oh well! It was a fun 13 years.

Their GTA mod website is still alive and well though, and probably the best GTA modding resource on the net.

Also, PS3 Forums (hi Loudninja!)

wihio

Another thread helped to remind me of this, but it was a huge part of my life for years. Back in '96 or so I was rockin' AOL on 28.8k dialup (connected at 26400 on a good day), and I had played every single piece of Mac shareware in existence. My thirst for games increased, and I rather quickly discovered Hotline.

Hotline was some software that allowed users to create servers that had news, chat, and filesharing. At first, sites were only tracked via random web pages, but later on trackers were built into the app that allowed one to browse various servers. Of course there was a lot of piracy going on, but my gaming hunger was ultimately satiated by the discovery of 8 Bits of Power, a server dedicated to the emulation of old systems. Most (maybe all!) of the developers of emulators for the Macintosh frequented this server at some point, where the chat was always filled with huge discussions of old games, emulation, computers, music, everything. The community was so strong that the server far outlasted Hotline. I would guess that I logged in every day for nearly a decade. Hell, I still have random chat logs from 20 years ago!

At some point I lost my bookmark which had the login/password and ip for the site saved in it. I was never able to rediscover 8bits of Power. Perhaps it still lives on! I know for a fact that some of the users/admins from 8bits are here on NeoGAF, but we have never reconnected. Much of my teen years were spent with these people, day in and day out. I grew up in a small rural town and was so lucky to have a broad spectrum of friends at 8bop. People from cities, people with ISDN connections (haha), people who knew far more than I ever will about technology. I miss that place! 8 Bits of Power taught me so much, and the other users there turned me on to this place. They really altered my "country boy" trajectory!

Fëanorian

Neo Member
The Rottentomatoes "vine" forums for both movie and video game discussion.

As the site itself gradually changed over time (not for the better, IMO), the forums were left untouched and site managers slowly distanced themselves from it.

That used to be my go-to for video game and movie discussions, but it was a mess due to poor moderation.

During the 360/PS3 era the video game forum was a complete 360 fanboy wankfest with constant trolling and berating of anything PlayStation. There were some blatant trolls there that got away with so much shit, who would've been banned with the first post over here.

Kenporules was a shitty moderator, and went with the mob mentality instead of cleaning the fucking place up, like he should have.

I'm so glad I'm over here now. That place was pathetic, in retrospect.

Shame though, since the movie forum was home to some healthy and insightful discussion. Such a waste.

LOL

The salt is real and still there all these years hahaha. You were mocked for a reason, let it go man.

NimbusD

I use to live on the IGN boards back in their heyday. The mid/N64 days, through GameCube/PS2/Xbox days, and toward the launch of the 360.

I probably have 10,000 immature posts on "Teh Vesti."

I eventually moved over to Bad Cartridge, which became Day One Patch; but it just didn't move too quick and it was the same 50 people posting all the time, it felt like.

And then I came to GAF :)

Yep, same. Since back when it used to be n64.com, then ign64, then ign (in hindsight, how did they get away with n64?)

I even was a paying member of ign, I dont even remember why or what I got for paying, then one day I was randomly banned without explanation. I didn't even post all that much... No answers from admins, so I think I had an acct here but never really checked it out and haven't really visited other forums since.

The only other online communities I really cared about was Ultima Online, which sure I'd say slowly died, and Digg, whcih went out in a glorious fucking bang if incompetence.

EDIT: oh wow, other things are starting to come back to me... there was a crazy zelda fansite... zeldahq? that had a forum? Also Weezer's forum back in it's heyday when rivers used to post and was a mess of a person. Hmmm, what else? There has to be more, I was a fucking internet troll as a high schooler.

Jinxworld/Bendis Board
Was a great community for a long time. As other comic creators had boards fold their people would migrate to this one. Eventually it got overrun by people with thin skins that would create constant trouble. I migrated from it a few years ago to this and Bendis folded it last year. I still have some great friends from it.

If we're counting forums, gamers.com/1up. Started there when it was first launched in the EGM/OPM days, migrated to 1up.com, then shifted over to GAF as the community and 1up itself started dying off. Then came the final abolishment of the forums as 1up officially closed. Spanned roughly ten years.

Yup. I remember going to the egmmag.com board regularly in college. Then 1up happened and the community kinda changed. Switched here after a while and never looked back.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Fëanorian;207860792 said:
LOL

The salt is real and still there all these years hahaha. You were mocked for a reason, let it go man.

I get you're apparently angry and bitter about this, and that he banned you there 6 years ago, but maybe don't find and harass people over modding video game system warz on forums, ok? Let it go

Oh, what's going on here.

Gamespot forums.

That forum used to be my goto forum back in the late 90's early to mid 2000's. System wars was a crazy place back in the day..

I remember all Sony fanboys were called cows, Xbox fanboys were called lemmings, Nintendo were sheep, and PC were hermits.

Such good times...

The place is still around, but it's nothing like it used to be.

Ah yes, many a post was wasted in the ol' Gamespot System Wars. The animal names were always hilarious. Legendary Banned NeoGAF poster Kittonwy posted in System Wars! Those fucking smilies pissed me off.

norm9

Used to post a lot on a hip hop site called Jamie's Crackhouse in the 90s when I was still on dialup. It just disappeared one day. No trace of it now.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
I was a moderator on Gamespot's GGD forum for a good five or six years. We tried to knock down spammers and keep discussions focused on current game news and releases, as that's what the community had always been. The old community manager left and the new one basically told us to only deal with spammers and to not worry about content anymore. It was all downhill from there. It went from a place where you could sit back and discuss your love of games with a tight-knit group to a trolled up system wars hell hole. Most of us left after that.

I used to love all the different lounges, the off-topic drama and the system wars craziness. GameSpot used to be very comparable to NeoGaf in terms of activity and regularly grabbing new users. It's still decently active (well really only sytem wars) compared to some of the forums mentioned here but just a shadow of its former self. That initial overhaul of the terms of use/forum posting rules from several years ago and then the site redesign a year later really destroyed the forums. I've looked in on the forum here and there and it's just the same users in every thread now and for some reason a good majority of them hate NeoGaf.

Cth

I used to spend a lot of time on the Bendis Board at jinxworld.com. At one point it was a thriving board full of comic fans and aspiring comic creators. Then it morphed into a comics/pop-culture/general discussion with lots of interesting posters and thoughtful discussion. We were informed by Bendis himself that the "eyes of the industry" were watching us now that comics were blowing up in Hollywood. But at some point it became very insular with basically the same 5-8 posters dominating the conversations, most of which had become minute-by-minute analysis of The Voice & America's Got Talent and whatnot, driving off board vets and scaring away new posters. Eventually Brian Bendis just shut the board down one day so he could promote himself & post gifs on Tumblr.

Jinxworld/Bendis Board
Was a great community for a long time. As other comic creators had boards fold their people would migrate to this one. Eventually it got overrun by people with thin skins that would create constant trouble. I migrated from it a few years ago to this and Bendis folded it last year. I still have some great friends from it.

Came here to post Jinxworld. What names did you go by there?

Max Criden posts here as well.

Saturday

Back when flash games were all I knew of gaming I frequented this site called themetalbox.com, whose owner- who never went by anything fancy, simply Steve- created a simple enough if not fun game called Merlin's Revenge. He was responsive to all who messaged him and eventually opened up a forum as there was apparently a large enough fanbase for his games. As far as secular communities on the internet went, it was quaint enough, energetic just enough to live on a year or two as a couple more games were made. But I believe the owner developed.. arthritis in his hands? and as such his vigor for game creation waned; so did the community. Pouring one out for you, Steve, wherever you are.

LOL

Ah yes, you were one of the major cunts I was referring to. I see some of that RT sewage is seeping into GAF. And your posting style hasn't changed one bit.

The fact that you guys are coming out of whatever hole you've been skulking under since RT's demise to respond to my post tells me that I must have hit a nerve. Talk about "salt". You guys jumped on that like flies to shit.

Feanor, I remember you and your lack of worthwhile contributions to discussion. It's all "LOL this" and "LOL that". You're a junior here, son. Don't bring that RT tact in here thinking you'll last long.

GamerJM

Banned
I was a part of Nsider before it got shut down. Then I joined Nsider2 and posted on that until 2009, they started to add way too much to it and it felt like the same couple people were posting (myself included)

I was also a part of The Chaos Theatre for a while but that was really just a small forum for a handful of people and I happened to get in early and I was well liked. I left when I got sick of people just talking about why Kingdom Hearts is the best game ever made.

Yeah, I went on NS2 for about....a year, on and off, until it basically became unusable with the bloat. I discovered it several months after NSider shut down when I decided to do a Google search about the site (which never occurred to me before).

It was weird, it was like all of Power-On moved to that site but the other parts of that site were dead.

I'll forever remember the Summers of 2006, 2007, and 2008 as being spent lurking Power-On (06 and 07 on NS1 and 08 on NS2).

LOL

Ah yes, you were one of the major cunts I was referring to. I see some of that RT sewage is seeping into GAF. And your posting style hasn't changed one bit.

The fact that you guys are coming out of whatever hole you've been skulking under since RT's demise to respond to my post tells me that I must have hit a nerve. Talk about "salt". You guys jumped on that like flies to shit.

Feanor, I remember you and your lack of worthwhile contributions to discussion. It's all "LOL this" and "LOL that". You're a junior here, son. Don't bring that RT tact in here thinking you'll last long.

Oh damn shit's going down

Opto

Banned
Once joined a shipping forum (way way back in 04-05). But the forum died, and we went to another host, with only half the original members. Then it died again and that was the end. Shame. I really liked some of the people there.

Oh damn shit's going down

There's no way these guys would let me skate by on slinging the appropriate mud their way.

They knew their precious little forum was fucking borked when they'd rather sit and feed trolls rather than ban them. (Xbox trolls? Pass. Sony trolls? Banhammer.)

Feanorian's post is pretty much beat for beat an exact image of his usual posting habits back then. "LOL Look at you *insert high school level insult here*" That kind of garbage went unchecked for years. He says I was mocked for a reason? They've got no place to piss and shit for a reason.

7 years later, nothing has changed.

Commander Kook

Neo Member
I came in this thread to see if the Rotten Tomatoes forums would be mentioned, and here are Solid and Feanor trading barbs like the good ol' days. Thanks for the nostalgia guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom