• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever REALLY look at the Streets of Rage cover art?

Windforce

This should COVER it... Get it? Cover... Nevermind.

ff2boxart.png

What? WOW.

The woman perfoming a flying kick is the exact same position/stance as Blaze, but reverted.

lazygecko

Tracing other popular art was pretty common in the old days of pre-Photoshop cover art. I remember seeing a blog or website that collected a bunch of these and compared them with the original art they were based on.

What was the Genesis SoR3 artwork like? The PAL Mega Drive one with Blaze and Dr. Zan was always my favourite out of SoR 2 and SoR 3's boxarts (I had SoR 1 in the 6-in-1 pack in cartridge).

I was never a fan of Max (or SoR 2 for that matter) but the boxart drawing of him justifies his appearance completely.

lazygecko

What was the Genesis SoR3 artwork like? The PAL Mega Drive one with Blaze and Dr. Zan was always my favourite out of SoR 2 and SoR 3's boxarts (I had SoR 1 in the 6-in-1 pack in cartridge).

The European SoR3 art was literally fan art made for a gaming magazine that Sega thought was so good they decided to use it officially.

This thread is a great idea.

Can we change the name to something more generic, so that it covers all 'weird' video game cover art?

BAW

Banned
1) Someone should really catch that serial choker

2) The manhole is pretty good hiding place, can't blame the guy for using it when the heat is on.

Also secretly on the same street as the Final Fight 2 cover (note manhole man and choked woman)

finalfight2u.jpg

They even have a goddam moleman peeking out of the sewers!

I miss the blatant plagiarization of games back in the day. The plagiarizing is too subtle nowadays.

By the way, do you actually fight molemen in sewers in Streets of Rage? I don't remember any of that.

Sakujou

Banned
I just realized his shoe says Sega.

dude....

never realized this...

i love 80s/90s art just for that. its nuts how much shit the artist put onto the cover.

i love that. its sort of sad to see cover these days yet alone the instruction booklet. back then you had tons of secret information which wasnt included in the game put into an instruction booklet.

now we have nothing.

an instruction booklet is not just explaining the controls of the story. its about scribbled stuff from the devs too. things which have no space in the game itself.

maybe another way of looking at the game.

as a kid i was fascinated by f-zero. the cover showed the drivers. the booklet explained that there is backstory in that racing game.

the game itself never showed ANY of that stuff.
no announcer or drivers or anything story related. i was constantly thinking: what is going on, why is captain falcon on the cover looking like he gets chased by the other guy?

awesome. this depth isnt found anywhere these days...

Top Bottom