• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve Downloadable Content Plans Revealed

Mrbob

Sounds awful. Sticking with Dota 2. Don't have time anymore for multi player which requires extra money for the complete experience. Sell cosmetic items and let all the game content be available.

Klyka

Banned
I'm going to be streaming this game on PC come Friday, maybe some Gaffers can join me so we can do one more intense test of the game before it roles out.

Who knows, maybe it suddenly became great?

sdornan

Every time all these different editions and DLC are announced on launch, it dissuades me from getting the game altogether.

I'm going to be streaming this game on PC come Friday, maybe some Gaffers can join me so we can do one more intense test of the game before it roles out.

Who knows, maybe it suddenly became great?

Who knows, maybe magic is real? ;)

I had low expectations and this DLC madness killed the little interest I had. Just no...

Klyka

Banned
Who knows, maybe magic is real? ;)

I had low expectations and this DLC madness killed the little interest I had. Just no...

Ha, yeah, a man can hope!

But yeah I want to try and get a GAF stream going and basically test whatever they give us to the max and see if it is worth money or not.
See it as a "GAF reviews" stream.

CSJ

So it's not just me that had a switch go off from "Might buy this depending what comes of this weekends test" to "Nope, I'm not helping push what gamers are willing to pay for /extra/ stuff".

For a full priced game no, for a f2p game sure.
There's just nothing to the game from when I last played it, last being the key point.
It was shallow that revolved around two parties smashing into each other until one wins.

ksdixon

2K seem to be a disgusting company in regards to DLC.
I bought the Digital Delux version of WWE2K15 on pre-order for the two Stings and two Hogans. It was the only way to get Hogans at release other than buying the stupidly pricey Hulkamania Edition.

The "Season Pass" wasn't even a real Season Pass. You know where in most games you buy a Season Pass and it gives you a discount on the price of buying all the DLC separately? This Season Pass was called the "2K Showcase Season Pass", and only gave you access to all the 2K Showcase Mode stories (wrestling game Season/Story Mode things). It didn't offer any discount towards the NXT wrestler DLC pack, the WCW wrestler DLC pack, or the Moves DLC pack - those were completely separate. Oh, but the "2K Showcase Season Pass" was the ONLY way to get Paige.

Then, just to piss me off one last time, Sting and Hogan were made available to non pre-order people inside of 2 months from release. It would have been cheaper for me to buy those as DLC than to get the Digital Delux version.

Card Boy

Banned
Now lets talk about DLC. Since game makers can't sell the games at a high enough price to make their money back they have to make that up in DLC. This obviously leads them to push DLC hard because they need it to sell or the game won't make enough money. One of the most well loved and respected games this generation is League of Legends. They have over 100 different DLC champions now, each costing roughly $7. If someone bought all of them they would have spent over $700. Yet people are ok with this. Sure, you can unlock them by playing the game but the vast majority of people don't have the time to spend to unlock all the characters. For most people, if they want to play a certain character the only option is the buy it and they do it all the time. Lets compare that to Evolve. They have 15 characters in the base game for $60. That is $4 each, cheaper than LoL, AND you get the rest of the game, all the modes, maps etc. The DLC characters, assuming you don't preorder and buy the season pass, are $35 for 5 characters which is $7 each, roughly the same as LoL. If you pre-order that drops the price to $20 for 5 characters, $4 each. Using a little math and rational thought you can see that these prices are very reasonable, especially if you pre-order.

Do i get to unlock these characters for free? Didn't think so. Eat shit and enjoy ban.

Kudos to all of you who read through that press release and made sense of it. Absolute gibberish to me and a complete turn-off.

Okay, so I'm not the only one who had trouble understanding it. I had to read it about 3 times before I finally comprehended what it was saying.

That Agrius post was incredible.

This press release (and DLC strategy) is already an early standout for biggest publisher fuck up of 2015.

Wow, no thank you, this has got Titanfall 2.0 written all over it. I don't see this game doing well for 2K, it's a shame because that game isn't half bad but that pre-order/DLC bullshit they're pulling is going to hurt.

Nokterian

Sounds awful. Sticking with Dota 2. Don't have time anymore for multi player which requires extra money for the complete experience. Sell cosmetic items and let all the game content be available.

At least Dota 2 gives you cosmetics when leveling and everything is cosmetic and is a option to buy it. The whole game is free from the start and doesn't cost 60 euro's.

Will wait for 5 euro's sale this is some ridiculous and dumb move they have done.

Striek

If I want to preload I can't because its platform exclusive (fucking LOL), and if i want to wait for reviews I pay $15 more for already completed content that represents a huge chunk of the game. Real win/win proposition here.

Klyka

Banned
If I want to preload I can't because its platform exclusive (fucking LOL), and if i want to wait for reviews I pay $15 more for already completed content that represents a huge chunk of the game. Real win/win proposition here.

Then just jump in now and pre-order the game! The first round is on them!

tok9

I'll be on the beta on Saturday anyway.

My big concern is that I don't think a lot of my friends are buying this, so I'll need to see if it's fun playing with randomers.

Nokterian

Shocking news, everyone!

UPDATE: Phil Robb, co-founder of Evolve developer Turtle Rock Studios, has responded to criticism of the game's vast downloadable content, insisting that when Evolve ships, none of the DLC will be complete.

"If we thought we could have finished all those monsters and hunters for ship we would have put them in the box," Robb wrote on the Turtle Rock website.

"(Keep in mind, we pretty much have to have the game done about 2-3 months before it's available to you guys... we can keep fixing bugs and such, but content is locked.) The bundles that include 4th and 5th monsters, hunters, etc., just mean that when they are done and we put 'em out, you get 'em."

Robb said Turtle Rock wanted to avoid DLC splitting the Evolve community, so made sure all DLC maps and game modes would be free. And those who have bought DLC can play with those who haven't. You can set DLC characters and monsters up as opponents in solo games.

"And NO, we won't be purposely making DLC hunters and monster overpowered to make people feel like they HAVE to buy them to stay competitive," Robb promised. "We plan to keep things as balanced as possible for as long as people are playing the game."

There's also the issue of the various editions and season pass that's available for Evolve. As we've shown above, it's all pretty convoluted.

"The bundles are options, nothing more," Robb said. "IF you plan to buy all that stuff anyway then you can get a bundle with all that content at a discount. Not a new concept, businesses have been doing that since money was invented. I've bought passes for games where I felt burned and I've bought passes for games and was happy with my purchase. But that's a personal choice, as is any purchase. All of those different tiers are there to provide options."

Robb pointed to publisher 2K, which, he said, is selling Evolve. Turtle Rock is the developer.

"Ultimately, TRS makes the games, we don't sell them," he said, "and as the developers we've done our best to make a game that people want to play. We then have to trust our publisher to make the best decision on how to sell that game.

"We've done everything we could to keep this stuff as open to choice as possible and despite how it may look to some, there isn't anything here that forces people to spend more money than they are comfortable with. We feel like all of the Evolve bundles that 2K announced just offer people choices, and having choices isn't a bad thing."

869472.gif

Sure keep defending it, this is not how you sell a game in the first place.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...er&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

Seiniyta

So....if they were meant to be in the game anyway but you ran out of time....why are you charging money for it FFS? >_>

Because man hours are still spent after the release of the game finishing those parts. As with every game at one point you have to make a call and cut things. It happens with a lot of games. 10 years ago, that content would never been made, or sold as part of an expansion.

Nowadays companies can sell those as dlc. I don't see anything wrong with this. You can complain about the price sure, but imo this dlc is fine, price aside.

TheFatMan

I've never seen a game ask for so much money for so little content. I played in the Alpha test and I was pretty much bored of this game after about 3 hours....

BurningNad

Well, Green Man Gaming's 20% off code works on the Monster Race edition, so for 80 bucks for everything, I'll bite. That's what it should have been originally, but this is a decent consolation prize, in my eyes.

"The bundles are options, nothing more," Robb said. "IF you plan to buy all that stuff anyway then you can get a bundle with all that content at a discount. Not a new concept, businesses have been doing that since money was invented. I've bought passes for games where I felt burned and I've bought passes for games and was happy with my purchase. But that's a personal choice, as is any purchase. All of those different tiers are there to provide options."

Lol, this language is incredibly similar to Agrius :p

Top Bottom