• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exile Election (PSV/PS4, Visual Novel, NIS) - official site, trailer & screenshots

takoyaki

New info and media for Exile Election aka ”the game you might remember from this teaser or that other teaser they did for some reason"

008-18xbql.jpg
007-19ixmd.jpg

Title: 追放選挙 / Tsuihou Senkyo /Exile Election
Platforms: PS4, PS Vita, Vita TV
Release date: April 27 (JP)
Cero rating: not yet rated

Director: Akihiro Arahori (荒堀明弘)
Producer: Gen Suganuma (菅沼元)
Scenario Writer: Maoto Nishikawa (西川真音)
Character Designer: Nama2e (生煮え)

"This is the story of a young man's revenge against those who condemned his little sister to death"

=> more screenshots

EDIT: Translation of the story information from the official website by Gematsu

Introduction

I remembered.

They killed my little sister... they killed Misa.

Because I was hurt. Because I was about to die.

There can be any number of reasons for it.

But I can't forgive them.

It's unacceptable.

I will kill them all.

Setting

Outside of ”Aliceland," the amusement park where the protagonist and company are based, is a devastated world in every respect.

There are monsters wandering the outside, and since they will undoubtedly kill and eat you if you encounter one, escape is impossible.

The protagonist and company, imprisoned in an amusement park that can be called a last fortress or even paradise, must participate in a death game called ”Exile Election," prepared by a mysterious mechanical doll named Alice, in order to survive.

=> read more on Gematsu

additional sources: 4gamer, Playstation Japan

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wait the other teaser was also for this game? Weird.

It sounds interesting, the fact that you can freely choose who to exile makes it closer to Lost dimension than to Danganronpa.

I still don't understand if it's a pure visual novel or it has some gameplay, but i guess that since there are no gameplay details it's a pure visual novel.

These look really intriguing
Exile-Election_01-22-17_001.jpg
Exile-Election_01-22-17_002.jpg

takoyaki

takoyaki

Do we have any names attached to this? Writer, director?

According to the first Famitsu print article:

And the Character Designer is someone working under the name ”Nama2e" (生煮え)

AniHawk

According to the first Famitsu print article:

And the Character Designer is someone working under the name “Nama2e” (生煮え)

of all the big stuff:

the director worked on tales of symphonia 2, the producer was previously on shin hayarigami 2, and the writer's most well-received project was symphonic rain.

not really a ton to work off here. i guess it could all coalesce into a pretty neat danganronpa-like, but i wouldn't hold my breath.

Shizuka

of all the big stuff:

the director worked on tales of symphonia 2, the producer was previously on shin hayarigami 2, and the writer's most well-received project was symphonic rain.

not really a ton to work off here. i guess it could all coalesce into a pretty neat danganronpa-like, but i wouldn't hold my breath.

Oof.

DNAbro

It could be interesting but the art and style does nothing for me. I wonder how many "death game" games DR is going to inspire.

I'm starting to feel the genre exhaustion of dangonronpa games. Was the third one released in Japan yet and received well enough because it might a dead genre for me. Hopefully this game rejuvenates the genre but looks the same as usual.

DNAbro

I'm starting to feel the genre exhaustion of dangonronpa games. Was the third one released in Japan yet and received well enough because it might a dead genre for me. Hopefully this game rejuvenates the genre but looks the same as usual.

Yes DRV3 just recently came out with some mixed opinions. Gameplay in it apparently easily the best in the series though by a long shot.

takoyaki

I'm calling it now: The Mysterious Villain is going to be the main character's sister.

Something is definitely up with the little sister and that other character from the cover art that totally looks like her. She's called Nori/Noli(?) and described as a mysterious young woman.

The first teaser ended with this image:
1mzk9n.png

While the second teaser ended with this one:
2igkw5.png

The only difference is the 4th character from the right.
Could be a complete red herring, but I doubt it.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Something is definitely up with the little sister and that other character from the cover art that totally looks like her. She's called Nori/Noli(?) and described as a mysterious young woman.

The first teaser ended with this image:
1mzk9n.png

While the second teaser ended with this one:
2igkw5.png

The only difference is the 4th character from the right.
Could be a complete red herring, but I doubt it.

Maybe that's one of the reasons for 2 teaser sites, the first one has main character's dead sister instead of another character. A little too much, changing one art with another could have been enough, maybe not for the developers, who knows.

FluxWaveZ

I'd certainly try it out if it was localized. I like the main character's design, and I like the concept of him being an active participant in wanting to see other characters "exiled" for revenge. The thing that's turning me off the most right now is everyone else's character designs. Really unappealing.

takoyaki

BUMP

The game came out on April 27 and my copy showed up today. I'll update the thread with some impressions once I've played enough of it to say if Exile Election stands on its own or if it's really just an uninspired Danganronpa clone.

If anyone else is reading Exile Election, please chime in with some impressions of your own!

Famitsu gave the game a 31/10

-Target Audience: Fans of VNs featuring death games, people who enjoy serious stories
-Average Playtime: Around 15h to clear one round

1st Reviewer[8/10]: Liked the original setup of avenging your little sister's death by exiling people during votes. He also thought the game had some unique systems. You get pulled into the story by the different characters and their interpersonal connections. It's fun to change the story progression by picking the order in which people are exiled, but the underlying system felt a bit monotonous and he had problems empathizing with the main protagonist.

2nd Reviewer[8/10]: He says the game feels modeled after the Danganronpa series with the central Death Game and the mechanic of exiling opponents by beating them in debates. While the game doesn't feel like a fresh experience, it pulls you in from the start with its mysterious world and the reviewer felt that the main protagonist's ability to detect lies by color differentiated it enough to raise his interest in the story. The pale color palette of the art-style matches the atmosphere of the story and he found the character art appealing.

3rd Reviewer[8/10]: She thought it was a novel idea for a mystery VN to have everyone be the object of the main protagonist's revenge instead of the typical hunt for one culprit. Reading peoples' lies by color was great since it added a lot to your deductions. Elections take the form of debates and the lines are displayed in a form similar to messaging apps, but she would have liked more of a visual representation of peoples emotions during debates. The outcome of an election and how people are dealt with was worth seeing every time.

4th Reviewer[7/10]: He liked the unique world&setting of the game and thought the story was interesting; it felt great how the mystery behind the story unraveled little by little. The game revolves around a Death Game where you make choices, try to uncover contradictions in your opponents' statements and debate them. But he felt that it often was difficult to judge the outcome of the available choices. It also was frequently hard to comprehend why certain choices ended in a Game Over, which didn't feel fair. Overall, the game has a lot of exposition and tends to have slow pacing.

EDIT

First Impressions (played around 4h):

The bunny from Zero Escape traps you in the amusement park from Sweet Fuse to play low-budget Danganronpa featuring monsters, amnesia and the color red from Umineko.

I was gonna post more detailed impressions, but the game has been really mediocre so far and also suffers from slow pacing. The only things that stand out are the choice of music and art-style. Maybe it gets better, but I think I'm done with the game for now.

There's a full Japanese Let's Play on Youtube if you want to check out the game for yourself:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwKSfIo9BGH1E5ZG-jbmDX7Dcq80_2xkR

Top Bottom