• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: Week 25, 2023 (Jun 12 - Jun18)

Famitsu Sales: Week 25, 2023 (Jun 12 - Jun 18)

SOFTWARE

01./01. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2023.05.12} (¥7.200) - 31.151 / 1.672.070 (-33%)
02./03. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 7.489 / 5.336.478 (-19%)
03./07. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600) - 5.753 / 3.165.440 (-14%)
04./09. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports # <SPT> (Nintendo) {2022.04.29} (¥4.980) - 5.550 / 1.101.167 (-13%)
05./02. [PS5] Diablo IV <RPG> (Blizzard Entertainment) {2023.06.06} (¥8.909) - 4.902 / 29.277 (-80%)
06./00. [NSW] Front Mission 1st: Remake <SLG> (Rainy Frog) {2023.06.15} (¥4.500) - 4.891 / NEW
07./06. [PS5] Street Fighter 6 <FTG> (Capcom) {2023.06.02} (¥7.990) - 4.766 / 33.630 (-38%)
08./14. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2022.11.18} (¥5.980) - 4.362 / 5.053.556 (-8%)
09./12. [NSW] Splatoon 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2022.09.09} (¥5.980) - 4.315 / 4.038.838 (-16%)
10./11. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200) - 4.309 / 5.215.546 (-18%)

Top 10

NSW - 8
PS5 - 2

HARDWARE

HanJL6e.jpg

Nautilus

Banned
A very eventful week!

As expected in the hardware side, Switch remains the top dog over its competitors, while Sony remains in second and Xbox in third. But both Sony(Due to XVI?) and especially Xbox seen growth week over week, so its great that everyone is seeing success relative to their situations!

Street Fighter 6 seems to be really hanging on there!

Other than SF VI and hardware, nothing more eventful happened. Next week will be exciting though. How many copies do you guys think it will sell? I believe it will be around 200k(physically), and be considered the lowest selling FF ever in Japan.

What is the lowest selling FF? XV? Does someone know?

drganon

A very eventful week!

As expected in the hardware side, Switch remains the top dog over its competitors, while Sony remains in second and Xbox in third. But both Sony(Due to XVI?) and especially Xbox seen growth week over week, so its great that everyone is seeing success relative to their situations!

Street Fighter 6 seems to be really hanging on there!

Other than SF VI and hardware, nothing more eventful happened. Next week will be exciting though. How many copies do you guys think it will sell? I believe it will be around 200k(physically), and be considered the lowest selling FF ever in Japan.

What is the lowest selling FF? XV? Does someone know?
Your level of saltiness over ff16 is something to behold.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
interesting, seems like the top games were mainly 1st party for Nintendo, seems like third party games really not selling much ....

Kerotan

Ps5 probably 10K next week according to Chris 🤡 it was supposed to be selling 10K by now, probably Next (this) Week 🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡
A sales age genius should never let his feelings get in the way of his predictions. Ps5 success in Japan has caught everyone off guard but I personally was waiting for supply issues to stop before judging. All these haters were pretending it's early Gen sales were reflecting demand.

Ronin_7

Banned
A sales age genius should never let his feelings get in the way of his predictions. Ps5 success in Japan has caught everyone off guard but I personally was waiting for supply issues to stop before judging. All these haters were pretending it's early Gen sales were reflecting demand.
Little shit probably never read recent books, never let your emotions rule over.

Nautilus

Banned
Sony didn't sell best overall but in terms of traditional home consoles they did.
If you have to create sub categories for a console that clearly compete directly with Nintendo and MS, of which everyone agrees with(Including professionals like Famitsu and NPD, and even the head of Xbox), its the moment that you see that the situation for your console of choice may be not the best.

Though I personally think that the PS5 hardware sales(software is horrendous) is quite good, all things considered.

Nautilus

Banned
It's pretty crazy tbh. I remember a lot of comments that it aill die off this year and sales will drop....Nintendo just like...nope wrong again..we killing it!
Yeah. I think for the first two years or so we had the same people saying that the Switch sales would fall off a cliff any day now. Which never came.Which was always amusing to read.

Nautilus

Banned
In case anybody wants to know:

The worst selling mainline FF ever in Japan is FF XV, sellind around 690k in its first week(physical only).

Just so we have a point of reference.

leo-j

In case anybody wants to know:

The worst selling mainline FF ever in Japan is FF XV, sellind around 690k in its first week(physical only).

Just so we have a point of reference.
Unfortunately I am expecting 250k ish physical sales for XVI…. Maybe pushing 300k….. idk how successful they can be with 3.7 million console base who barely buys physical games on that platform…. Hoping I am wrong because of how good XVI is.

People will inhale insane amounts of copium by refusing to consider the Switch as a competitor.
"A traditional console"?

sRw7rlB.jpg
WTF is Nintendo talking about and calling it Switch, including its non traditional feature in its very name? The target demographic for Nintendo hw is not the same since Gamecube days when they have given up that race and made their own paths. The libraries are very different since then, as a logical result of the hw being different. They are competing with different means for overlapping but hardly the same group of people.
Not seeing a real difference is like pretending that japanese visual novels are the same as Telltale games.

Nautilus

Banned
Unfortunately I am expecting 250k ish physical sales for XVI…. Maybe pushing 300k….. idk how successful they can be with 3.7 million console base who barely buys physical games on that platform…. Hoping I am wrong because of how good XVI is.
Its not just the install base that is going against it. The tone, presentation, history of the franchise and combat system is all going against what japanese gamers usually like.

So yeah, almost a garantee that XVI will be the worst selling FF game in japan. But Square probably knew that and its counting on the West to make up for the difference.

Woopah

Street Fighter having very strong legs thanks to good word of mouth. I reckon the same will happen with Final Fantasy.
interesting, seems like the top games were mainly 1st party for Nintendo, seems like third party games really not selling much ....
Diablo and Street Fighter aren't very big in Japan. Armored Core, Momotaro, Hogwarts and the Dragon Quest games ( and maybe Fantasy Life??) should do better later in the year. Plus FF next week of course.
Am I reading this correctly....switch had its most succesful week 25 since launch?

How?
TOTK word of mouth I reckon.
Ps5 probably 10K next week according to Chris 🤡 it was supposed to be selling 10K by now, probably Next (this) Week 🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡
When was the last time Chris said PS5 would sell 10k a week?
Sony didn't sell best overall but in terms of traditional home consoles they did.
Saying PS5 is Japan's best selling traditional console is like saying GameCube was Japan's best selling traditional console.

Nautilus

Banned
The Zelda launch still having an effect on sales many weeks later, however sales will probably decline steadily until the Pikmin 4 launch and then get a nice bump again.
Yeah, I fully expect that to happen, and for the Pikmin effect to last only a few weeks. Unless a wild card appears, the only other game to have a potential to keep the ball rolling like that is Super Mario Wonder(Love Super Mario RPG, but I don't have much faith on it as a game that moves hardware)

Unknown?

If you have to create sub categories for a console that clearly compete directly with Nintendo and MS, of which everyone agrees with(Including professionals like Famitsu and NPD, and even the head of Xbox), its the moment that you see that the situation for your console of choice may be not the best.

Though I personally think that the PS5 hardware sales(software is horrendous) is quite good, all things considered.
A tablet with an accessory to display on a TV is not a home console.

And looks like PS5 stock is back up after the regional shortage.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Did you just say Sony can't compete with MS? I'm gonna let that slide and assume it's a typo.

Sony on the other hand entered the traditional home console market with the ps1. The traditions were set multiple dedicated home consoles that weren't portable with screen's by the likes of Nintendo, Sega and a few others.

They took on Nintendo directly and stole the market. Nintendo backed off although MS are still hanging in there.

On the other hand they tried the same with the portable market. They had a great start with the PSP but Nintendo kicked Sony back into their lane.

So don't be Salty Naughty, both companies had their successus and continue to. Thanks to these relative victories both companies now reap unprecedented success financially.

Last edited:
Switch sales seem to be increasing YoY. I’m trying to figure out how, since the system has been out for so long. Is it just the recent software? Nintendo’s yet to implement any price cuts either on hardware or software. Pretty wild to have sales like this 6+ years in. Dang!

Nautilus

Banned
Did you just say Sony can't compete with MS? I'm gonna let that slide and assume it's a typo.

Sony on the other hand entered the traditional home console market with the ps1. The traditions were set multiple dedicated home consoles that weren't portable with screen's by the likes of Nintendo, Sega and a few others.

They took on Nintendo directly and stole the market. Nintendo backed off although MS are still hanging in there.

On the other hand they tried the same with the portable market. They had a great start with the PSP but Nintendo kicked Sony back into their lane.

So don't be Salty Naughty, both companies had their successus and continue to. Thanks to these relative victories both companies now reap unprecedented success financially.
Dude, Phil Spencer himself, a guy who knows x10000 more than all of us combined, said that MS competes directly with Nintendo. And if MS competes with Nintendo directly, by your own logic, so does Sony.

Or are you arrogant enough to say you know better than Phil Spencer himself, head of Xbox which is a billion dollar company?

drganon

Dude, Phil Spencer himself, a guy who knows x10000 more than all of us combined, said that MS competes directly with Nintendo. And if MS competes with Nintendo directly, by your own logic, so does Sony.

Or are you arrogant enough to say you know better than Phil Spencer himself, head of Xbox which is a billion dollar company?
Now you're simping for Phil. Just when I thought you couldn't be more pathetic.

Top Bottom