• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Fantasy Gate Co.] A story in history: How the Xbox brand destroyed Nintendos Home Console Business and forced them stop stop competing directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
THE BEGINNING

It all started in 2001, the PS2 was dominating, Sega was faltering and was soon to announce a well deserved retirement after years of incompetence, and Nintendo was the second biggest guy around.

Than Microsoft released the Xbox, a console that people were curious about but though wouldn't perform to well in the market. Instead the Xbox sold pretty well AND FAST. The biggest casualty to the Xbox? The Gamecube.

The Xbox took part of the market the PS2 had, while bringing in a whole new market by merging the console and PC markets together. Nintendo has a very small niche market to itself and would lose support as time went on. The sales collapsed so bad, that Nintendo has to stop making Gamecubes in 2003 and cut the price to $99 with some retailers selling it for $89. The Xbox was about 6-7 million units ahead not long after this.

When Microsoft launched the 360, they cut the Xbox off, and even then the GameCube with a bunch of new games and lower fire sale prices, couldn't catch it. Still being nearly 4 million behind. This was the start of the death of Nintendos home market.

The Wii fad

Nintendo lost a lot of profits with the Gamecube and the solution was to re-purpose it with motion controls to target a broader market. It worked for awhile the Wii was selling like hotcakes, and was a big deal in sales. But after a bit the gaming world abandoned the Wii to talk about the HD twins, which were the 360 and PS3. Microsoft had gotten leverage over the champion SONY and the two were competing for the gamers dollar. Everyone was focused on how the under dog was not tangling with the lion. While the Wii was talked about in retirement homes.

It got so bad, that Nintendo's only choice was to announce they were no longer in traditional competition with Xbox and PlayStation.

After 2010 Wii sales collapsed. A lot of speculation has occurred as to why, some say it was because of new titles not coming out, but games like Just Dance were still selling pretty well.

What really happened was Kinect. Kinect has made most of the Wii's active installbase LEAVE Nintendo for Microsoft, helping sell over 15 million in around 1 year. The Kinect was at the time the fastest selling consumer electronic product of all time. Without that audience the Wii ended up dying a fast and painful death.

The WII U disaster

To try and save the Wii brand, Nintendo quickly put together the Wii U, thinking the name would be enough. They added backwards compatibility, HD, more powerful graphical chips, and the gimmick they were betting on, the Wii U tablet, which one could debate may have been lazy.

The Wii U had a decent launch, launching one year before the Xbox One and PS4. But it ended up slowing down fast due to the Wii brand no longer being a household name and confusing messaging along with poor game support. Nintendo tried to rectify this and with the controversial DRM policies of the Xbox, some though Nintendo might be able to salvage it. But the reversal of the DRM policies erased that possibility.

Now the Wii U was up against an Xbox that was much stronger, and no longer had the controversial policy that would have allowed Nintendo to salvage the Wii U. Sales got some bad that it was hard for Nintendo to drop the price due to the low sales. Things like Smartglass which were temporary fads, worked to diminish the already lesser value of the gamepad gimmick. Nintendo discontinued the Wii U in shame, their home market in shambles.

The end of an era:

With the Xbox responsible for the destruction of 3 of its home consoles, and faltering portable sales, Nintendo has to make the touch chice to create a hybrid, fusing both the portable and home markets together, but primarily being a portable.

This ended Nintendos Home console business. A company that was once at the top, now reduced to nothing. A company that was incompetent, couldn't adapt, and depended on cheap gimmicks to try and find a market.

If anything came out of this, it's that the Switch, the hybrid console, is selling well, but it's starting to slow down. How long will the Hybrid console last? Could the next Xbox bring the final blow to Nintendo as a whole? Only time will tell.

(A mod put a gif here because he/she/they was jealous, and couldn't deny the events in this OP actually happened. This is real video game history and if you disagree please present proof that these events did not happen. Otherwise this is another victory for real gaming historians.)

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
iu

Gamernyc78

Banned
Anyone else noticed that whenever Freedom Gate makes a new ridiculous Xbox thread, TheLastWord has just come on the forum?

giphy.gif

And this was right after Afros thread got changed because it was unproven hyperbole. Then this thread comes up hmmmmm🤔🤔🤔🤔

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Hasn't Xbox come in last place every generation?

Edit: I stand corrected generation 6

GameCube: 21.75 million
Xbox: 24 million
PS2: 155 million

Yeah, must have been Xbox causing Nintendo's woes - not PS2 or anything....

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Interesting alternate timeline, and a budding future in science fiction.

What really happened was Kinect. Kinect has made most of the Wii's active installbase LEAVE Nintendo for Microsoft

I might say that Kinect indeed helped to spell an end to the boom of motion gaming, but not just for Nintendo. For everyone. Not because of its success--but because it just saturated the market with high promises that added up to little more than embarrassing Stormtrooper dances. And then it followed with a "2.0" disaster that nearly single-handedly tanked the Xbox One, and led MS to push all things Kinect quickly into its own extensive trash bin of mistakes.

Last edited:
It seems strange you find this amusing, yet were just raging when they did something similar (and equally deserving) to your thread.

Actually I don't recall the mods editing my OP with a gif, but please continue trolling in threads. (also the mod didn't change it for the reasons YOU though so you're kind of in your own world here like the OP.)

theHFIC

How old is OP? These posts remind me of the kids we knew growing up that always claimed to have a relative who worked for Nintendo or Sega and had some kind of unhinged inside information that you know was complete bullshit but you hung out with them anyway because they had the latest game that your parents wouldn't buy because they just bought you a game a few months ago.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
Old-Mans-Talking.gif

It was actually the result of a hex that SEGA put on Nintendo when they made their exit from the console market, similar to Tecumseh's curse on America. Another great thread on neogaf!

StormCell

Xbox. 24mil vs 21.8mil

I always forget that Xbox continued to sell after GCN was discontinued. Last time I paid any attention to those sales numbers, Xbox was definitely third place worldwide. And there it will remain forever in my memory, because neither sold anywhere close to as much as PS2.

I always forget that Xbox continued to sell after GCN was discontinued. Last time I paid any attention to those sales numbers, Xbox was definitely third place worldwide. And there it will remain forever in my memory, because neither sold anywhere close to as much as PS2.

The Xbox was cut first and the GameCube kept selling and still couldn't beat the Xbox.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The dark underbelly of the story of Microsoft entering the gaming market is that it's always been a sham, in the sense that the MS gaming division spent a good decade running incredibly deep into negative--never turning a profit that could keep any strictly-gaming company alive--yet MS pumped it full of cash in order to achieve other goals.

It's the tale of a corporate behemoth trying to buy out a market, pushing a juvenile vision of "hardcore" gaming that amounts to little more than violence paired with energy drink ads and absurd tie-ins, and generally making the gaming world a much worse place through thoroughly cynical marketing.

To cheer for that over a company like Nintendo--that has only gaming as its goal, no other businesses or agendas to push, and a leadership that clearly cares deeply about the creative joy of the medium--is a peculiar choice, if you ask me.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Oh This is BS, why can't I make thread???

These are events that ACTUALLY HAPPENED. I haven't seen one person show me otherwise.
The wii was a fad yet was the most sold console of its generation.
Normally i don't just meme dump but your rhetoric is not rooted in honesty.

But i guess you do well as an entertainer here. If that's the level of conversation you want to target though, then the responses are that way, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom