• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 will be released on November 18th (PS4, Xbox One, PC, 360, PS3)

I did not enjoy Far Cry 3 at all. Most of my fustration stemmed from just a technical perspective. I don't know what it was but that particular game just didn't perform well at all on my PC. It didn't appear to matter what file tweaks, drivers or option settings I was using the game just never performed very well. Plus the inventory, crafting and upgrading UI systems are perhaps the worst I've had to experience since trying to manage Mass Effect 1's inventory system.

The environments and scenery were gorgeous once you disabled the over-the-top depth of field effect. The gameplay only really got fun once you began to roam around the open world and started to explore the islands and stumble upon some funny random encounters. I felt like the vast majority of the game was pretty standard and generic in many regards with the only real excitment coming from liberating the pirate camps rather than the actual story missions. The crafting, RPG elements and collectibles all felt very tacked on or largely unnecessary.

The overall story, plot and setting had lots of potential that was largely hit n' miss. It had some crazy moments and reveals but nothing to write home about. As for the characters Vaas, Dr. Earnhardt, Dennis and Willis were pretty well written, acted and realized but the rest were pretty boring and forgettable.

Overall, I just felt like Far Cry 3 was nothing more than a run of the mill generic shooter with a boring story set in an admittedly pretty open world with some RPG elements tossed in for good measure. Luckily for me, I was patient and got it on a steam sale for about $13 so it wasn't a big loss... Still had to force myself to finish it though.

I think I'll be far more interested in Far Cry 4: Blood Dragon 2 than Far Cry 4 itself.

Canucked

I can't believe this is going to be my first post on here but...

...I wanna wear the pink suit in multiplayer. I kinda like it.

So how does the lead villain get this hair gel and pink suit so clean in the mountains? I loved all the far cry games except 3 plus Cross gen is a turn off, but I'll wait til we see it to judge it. I hope we get a blood dragon 2 from this.

Cross gen? Why? Far Cry 3 on 360 was already terrible. Also I'm hoping they go back a little towards FC2 (weapon jamming - maybe to a lesser extent -, an actual physical map etc.) but by the look of the boxart/renders and the success that 3 had, I doubt it.

If he is the villian, I think he looks amazing. How many films have we seen that have a flamboyant, almost fashion victim of a villain, and never had it in a game.

Finally get that Hollywood villain who isn't the same as everyone else. Actually a character with personality rather than another slice from the same loaf.

If he is the villian, I think he looks amazing. How many films have we seen that have a flamboyant, almost fashion victim of a villain, and never had it in a game.

Finally get that Hollywood villain who isn't the same as everyone else. Actually a character with personality rather than another slice from the same loaf.

Vaas was great.

The Jason

Willing to bet anything that this game gets delayed into 2015. Ubi is on a roll with meeting launch dates.

I would not be suprised to see it delayed either, but ubi may just rush it out the door because The Division already got pushed back to next year.

Endless

uxpjsb.JPG

Bluth54

I actually enjoyed Far Cry 3 a bit (though it did start to feel repetitive towards the end) so I'm looking forward to seeing more of Far Cry 4.

The box art is cartoony in terms of the colors and over-the-topness. The game will likely be fun, but it looks like story-wise they went the way of Far Cry 3, instead of Far Cry 2. But they're unlikely to repeat having you play as a teenage bro. So it will be entertaining without being as annoying. That's my prediction.

image.php

Do we know if the villain is homosexual? because if so that would be quite the outrage...

Buck from Far Cry 3 might have been, there's precedence.

EDIT: how is it that the thread about the potential offensiveness of this box is longer than this actual thread.

Vhagar

Neo Member
Willing to bet anything that this game gets delayed into 2015. Ubi is on a roll with meeting launch dates.

It's only really their new franchises like Watch Dogs and The Crew thats been delayed. Their established franchises like Assassin's Creed have all met release dates from memory.

Not sure if this has been brought up, but do you guys think this thing in the background will be the Far Cry 3 equivalent of Radio Towers?

They seem like they will be climbable...Looks cool.

0YcnxtV.jpg

Eusis

Not happening this year.

Cross-gen games will make it until next year.

Cross gen? Why? Far Cry 3 on 360 was already terrible. Also I'm hoping they go back a little towards FC2 (weapon jamming - maybe to a lesser extent -, an actual physical map etc.) but by the look of the boxart/renders and the success that 3 had, I doubt it.
Yeah, I really think this is a terrible example of a game to go cross gen with. I understand CoD, it's HUGE and probably won't need the power THAT much unless I'm grossly underestimating/ignorant of what Sledgehammer's planning, and there's a lot of lower scale or annual games to keep there. But Far Cry, what the hell, the 3rd game was generally regarded as running poorly on last gen consoles and seems like a prime candidate to really ring in next gen, but they're still throwing it on those consoles anyway.

Ah well, it'll still perform better by far, so if they would've just gone for similar performance on modern hardware it's probably for the best it's being built to be compatible with last gen. Not that seemed to help Thief though...

ekim

Well the setting is right up my alley. Looking forward to gameplay at E3 and the downgrade in November.

sunnz

I wish the gameplay is more immersive like FC2 ( map system, no hud, weapon degradation)

Also snow would be awesome.

keuja

I hope it's a bit like Just Cause 2 with a lot of vertical playable area. Huge mountains you can jump off of, etc

Not sure if this has been brought up, but do you guys think this thing in the background will be the Far Cry 3 equivalent of Radio Towers?

They seem like they will be climbable...Looks cool.

0YcnxtV.jpg

Probably right, and the method of unlocking the map up there will be to meditate on top of it. I'm just joking but i guess there will be a spiritual gameplay element to it again.

I said to myself I wouldn't give in to the hype when it comes to Far Cry 4, especially since I wasn't that impressed with FC3, sure I had tons of fun and enjoyed it overall, but I felt it was overhyped a bit.

So I'll keep myself in check, I'll keep an eye on FC4, hopefully they have something good going on, especially when it comes to villains, and main characters.

Zarx

They are using CryEngine not Dunia.

Why would they do that? This will be Dunia just like FC3. I don't see any reason they would dump all the work they did on Dunia and start from scratch on Cryengine. Especially with a two year development cycle. Tho I guess Dunia is technically based on the Far Cry 1 version of Cryengine back in the day, it's been highly rewritten tho.

Another 2 year sequel. Not expecting much quality wise, my prediction is that it's going to be pretty but extremely shallow. The base gameplay of FC3 is good so they won't have to change that.

Probably going to be a bit offensive. FC3 was really tone deaf while they pretended it was all done ironically.

AHA-Lambda

Anyone else worried about the 6 month turnaround from reveal to release?

Gives me a bad vibe that this game will just be a retread of far cry 3.

120v

if the environs are a more varied and there's a better inventory management system (going to shops to equip weapons seemed ... off) I'm all for this. cross gen and everything, it doesn't really bother me.

yeah current gen would be optimal but this is ubisoft with a big franchise, so...

Anyone else worried about the 6 month turnaround from reveal to release?

No. Far cooler to reveal something out of the blue and then release it in a few months instead of drumming up hype for two years and then everybody hating the game.

Still, let's hope FC4 ships this year :)

Denton

I did not enjoy Far Cry 3 at all. Most of my fustration stemmed from just a technical perspective. I don't know what it was but that particular game just didn't perform well at all on my PC. It didn't appear to matter what file tweaks, drivers or option settings I was using the game just never performed very well.
For me, the game ran well (1080p/60fps) after I set postfx setting to medium and switched to dx9. Everything else could be set at high or very high. I only had gtx560ti. The game still looked great. Personally I loved it, despite some GUI issues.

Top Bottom