• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female only gaming event cancelled following online harassment

ToonLink

Online play is possible without a mic. I do so; just make sure that she is at least communicating with the built-in tools and/or playing on par and she will be treated like any other guy. Also, gender-neutral profiles are a must, except for Nintendo. Nintendo's online architecture and features are so geared towards inclusivity that I never feel particularly worrisome about showing that I'm a woman online.

We shouldn't have to discuss how women need to navigate online gaming spaces, but lol. Here we are.

Pretty much. Also party chat is what I tend to stick with when playing with friends. If playing alone, I just stay away from voice chat.

I play video games to relax and have fun, so I'd rather not have to put up with any BS.

Rookhelm

Online play is possible without a mic. I do so; just make sure that she is at least communicating with the built-in tools and/or playing on par and she will be treated like any other guy. Also, gender-neutral profiles are a must, except for Nintendo. Nintendo's online architecture and features are so geared towards inclusivity that I never feel particularly worrisome about showing that I'm a woman online.

We shouldn't have to discuss how women need to navigate online gaming spaces, but lol. Here we are.

I don't use chat on Nintendo either, because I'm sick of people yelling "I use tilt controls!" at me

lol

What a bunch of pieces of shit. This is not excusable in any way.

Like they were planning going out of their way, dressing as females/trans just so they could get in and harass/humiliate/destroy the event.

Is this was about race, it would be really frowned upon and maybe could even lead to a hate crime. Why don't we have similar things for gender issues?

It is total bs and ANYONE defending these guys are equal pieces of shit in my book.

Lady Gaia

Yes, I agree with you...the amount of language coming through on that mic in general is horrendous. Names, trash talk, "die in a fire", all of it...I hate it. I really do. But I never feel like it's targeted at me, if that makes sense. yes, they're talking TO me, but the anonymous nature of just berating another person makes it so impersonal.

That's an incredibly insightful and well charcterized distinction. You're right. It's very different when it gets truly personal. It's also different when the slurs directed at others remind you of oppression you experience regularly in real life. When someone spews "gay" at others as an insult it might irritate the straight target, but it's a reminder that I live in a society where there are still no shortage of people who would literally like to see my wife and me stoned to death.

Now stir in all the sexual harassment as a reminder that I can't walk down the street at night without worrying about who might decide I look like a tempting target? It's exhausting, and these women just wanted to enjoy their hobby without a constant reminder of all that. Instead, they got a clear message that there's no escape from men who want to impose their will on all of us. It's terrifying.

Really hope they make it happen this time.

-

wonderful
y1PdSGn.png

Dice//

Banned
They could probably do away with many detractors by making it "invited men only" (i.e.; boyfriends, good friends...probably not the types who'd complain about an event like this in the first place).

Hope it works out better this time.

They could probably do away with many detractors by making it "invited men only" (i.e.; boyfriends, good friends...probably not the types who'd complain about an event like this in the first place).

Hope it works out better this time.

That would defeat the purpose of the event

Detractors are wrong, and they don't deserve to be listened.

Dice//

Banned
That would defeat the purpose of the event

Detractors are wrong, and they don't deserve to be listened.

Yeah but it's a shame they're up against a bunch of man-babies; I believe in a good fight from time to time, but the fact these sorts of things lead to even more harassment is a real shame and even a little frightening (and being scared as and because you're a woman is...a scary idea in itself). My idea "eases" into it even if it's not the most immediately progressive.

But power to them, I hope it happens and goes better this time around.

Top Bottom