• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 or Dark Souls 3 (PS4)

Thavash

Thinking of getting something for the PS4.
Has to be an action RPG with good combat and building.
Loved DS1 , didn't like DS2 ( although played it alot ).
Haven't played a FF game in over 15 years .....but FF7 is an action RPG .....wondering about the character building .....or is FF15 a better bet ?
Anyway , thoughts appreciated .......

Fbh

Dark Souls 3.
Specially if what you are looking for is build variety. The Materia system in FF7 offers some flexibility but it doesn't come close the variety you get from all the weapons, armors and stat builds in Dark Souls 3.

Overall they are also very different experiences. DS3 is like the previous souls games, all about fighting and exploring intricate levels and encountering challenging bosses along the way. The story is mostly kept in the background with only brief exchanges with the sparse NPCs.

FF7 is way more story focused with tons o cutscenes and dialogue heavy sequences. The world (in part 1) is way more linear with straightforward levels that don't offer much exploration besides the occasional side corridor that leads to an item. Boss fights are fun to fight but more about the audio-visual spectacle than the challenge. Also forced walking....so much forced walking.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

or is FF15 a better bet ?
Not Gonna Happen No Way GIF by FaZe Clan

Here's what you do with FF15:

flame thrower fire GIF

Aion002

Dark Souls 3.

FFVII Remake is great, but it doesn't seem to be what you're looking for.

Anyway, I think there's a FFVII Remake demo on psn, check it out first.

Edellus

I prefer FFVII Remake, but as others have said, it seems like DS3 is the best bet for what you're after.

You didn't include Bloodborne in your consideration. If you haven't played it yet, then I'd go for that one first. I think character building has a bit less variety than DS3 (because of the firearm), but it's superior in every other way, IMO.

MH3M3D

I personally enjoyed FF7 Remake a lot more. I like having a cool story and fun characters than having build variety. I'd play Remake, then DS3 then Rebirth when you have a PS5.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

One simple rule that will help you for the rest of your life.
When in front of choice like "Dark Souls or XXX", you always choose Dark Souls.

Joke aside, if you loved DS1, you'll love DS3. I was in the same boat loving 1 and being disappointed by 2. The 3 went back to the "root" of Dark Souls

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Haven't played a FF game in over 15 years .....but FF7 is an action RPG .....wondering about the character building .....or is FF15 a better bet ?
Final fantasy

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Dark Souls 3 plus all the DLC will give you a lot of gameplay. You get a ton of replay value.

FF7 is huge and Rebirth is a very hot title. Idk how you are with FOMO and the excitement with the community around launch.

Both games are great, so I’d honestly get both. I love Dark Souls 3. I try to replay it every year. The OST is 👍 too. I’ll be playing Rebirth once that launches, so that might tell you something too.

If I had a choice to buy one and I hadn’t played DS3, I’d pick DS3. I own like 3 copies of Dark Souls 3 and I bought it for a friend.

Both, but be warned both games have areas that are just not fun. DS3 is a great game but it has a slew of areas that are just not great - especially early to mid game, but the combat is still fun.

FF has some real boring areas and side quests that feel like a slog.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Both, but be warned both games have areas that are just not fun. DS3 is a great game but it has a slew of areas that are just not great - especially early to mid game, but the combat is still fun.

FF has some real boring areas and side quests that feel like a slog.
The Remake had to have a lot of filler. I’d rather deal with a poisonous swamp than sit through some of that again.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Dark Souls 3.

FF7 suffers from horrible side quests, shit pacing, and terrible filler/unnecessary chapters.

Hohenheim

The Remake had to have a lot of filler. I’d rather deal with a poisonous swamp than sit through some of that again.
Agreed!
And the poisonous swamps in DS3 is very forgiving. Compared to the hellhole poison-swamps in Demon's Souls, they're a cakewalk.
But even those places was a fresh breath of spring-air compared to the monotone wandering about in the slum neighborhood in FF7 remake.

Last edited:

AngelMuffin

DS3 for sure. It doesn’t have the connected world like DS1 (at least not to that extent), but everything else great. Very disappointing with FF7R, mainly due to the entire game taking place in Midgar with enough padding to fill a King-Sized mattress. Rebirth looks to be something special though.

kubricks

FF6/FF7 is my literally my childhood, I love JRPGs, I regularly replay original FF7 every other year or so.

And my choice? Dark Souls 3.

poodaddy

I found FFVII Remake to be god awful in terms of narrative, script, general scenario, and even the game design is lacking. That being said, it is a fun action game.

Dark Souls 3 is an outstanding RPG, just a triumph. My opinion is that Dark Souls 3 is the much, much, much better game, but your answers are going to vary wildly from person to person based on their tolerance for anime BS, nostalgia, and difficulty.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
FF15 is dogshit and the worst game Ive played on the ps4 generation

FF7 remake is good if you dont mind the disjointed story that probably will be completed later

DS3 is awsome and would be my choice. Miyazaki ganes are just in another level.

Mortisfacio

FF15 is dogshit and the worst game Ive played on the ps4 generation

FF7 remake is good if you dont mind the disjointed story that probably will be completed later

DS3 is awsome and would be my choice. Miyazaki ganes are just in another level.

FF15 is one of my biggest gaming purchase regrets of my life. Up there with Spore as all-time letdowns for me. Game just royally sucked.

I'd personally pick DS3 here as well. Just an amazing game.

AREYOUOKAY?

Unfortunately you’ll be stuck with just part 1 of FF7 if you’re PS4 only. Well unless you have a good PC which I’m sure many do these days to eventually get the other two parts.

Last edited:

GymWolf

If the choice is only between these 2, then Ds3 (but really sekiro or bloodborne are both better in term of pure action)

The original ff7 is turn based and the remilk is some bullshit hybrid that is not as good as actual full actions nor good as full turn systems.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
FF7 was good for a nostalgia kick but I got bored half way through. I'd take DS3 over it every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Astral Dog

If you like FROM games, Dark Souls 3 is one of the best 👌

If you like Final Fantasy more, of course pick FFVIIR , its a 'must play'

They are very different games, FFVIIR is more of a 'narrative' experience with focus on the characters, Dark Souls 3 is a challenging Action RPG with moody atmosphere.

worth considering that FFVIIR is just 'part 1' of a trilogy, and you can tell , Dark Souls 3 is a sequel of course but more standalone

Top Bottom