• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV 2017 TGS Summary- Plans for 2018, Second Season Pass would be 4 DLCs of Content

Toth

Quite a lot happened with FFXV this week at TGS but some of the information is all over the place. Here now is a thread that has all of last week's big items:

Be sure to read the article. Many of these features are planned and not wholly confirmed. A new roadmap in November will further clarify their plans.

Also....Koozek is here to inform you all what has been said for months:

FFXVI already is being worked on by another team regardless of whether BD2 is still working on FFXV or not and BD2's next project is a new IP for next-gen systems anyway.

And more!

Uh, if they had the impression that the reception was perfect they wouldn't be doing these free story updates in the next months. Tabata has said many times recently that they're aware of the narrative shortcomings.

Please reread the above before you post.

Trailers:

Comrades (10/31/2017): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMm2k4eXXDA

FFXV Universe Updates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2FyFrt9vZM

Summary links here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/comments/728l1l/tgs17_atr_translations_tabatas_new_vision_and_the/

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/comments/729dj8/famitsu_interview_translations/

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/comments/71rp3c/final_fantasy_xv_wins_an_award_of_excellence_at/

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=249596814&postcount=173 (Choosing Hope Lyrics)

Famitsu Interview:

Tabata gave an interview with Famitsu and it has been translated by xXRaineXx
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/comments/729dj8/famitsu_interview_translations/

Q. There were a lot of people lining up for the Comrades demo at TGS right?
A. We were expecting a little, but everything went smoothly. We were under the impression that players of the main game had a very smooth transition to the demo.

Q. The players are, in retrospect the survivors of the Kingsglaive. I'm wondering if this expansion is made to allow players to experience Kingsglaive (film)?
A. Yeah... I guess there is something in there for the fans of Kingsglaive (film).

Q. And Comrades is set between the period Noctis goes missing....... IS CIDNEY-CHAN APPEARING IN IT!?
A. That's what you're asking? (laughs) Not necessarily in Comrades, but there are important characters that we are considering to cover next year in how they changed over the 10 year period. (This is it bois!)

Q. Monsters of the Deep is also nearing it's release date. Is there anything that you feel now after experiencing the development of a VR game?
A. In the past, looking back to when cellphones were these gargantuan things you uses to carry around from your shoulders, I didn't think that this would spread so far and become the infrastructure of what we have today. In regards to this sentiment, VR also has an amazing hidden potential, however I feel that the hardware is unable to keep up with the technology.
(He is basically comparing VR to first generation mobile phones, when it looked ridiculous and massive. But despite that, mobile phones have become something mainstream and that VR is going through the same phase).
When creating a genuine VR game, the heavyweight head mounted display and cables become restrictions and the so the amount of content becomes restricted. However, just like with mobile phones, along with the evolution of technology it has the hidden potential to become something amazing. If we have an experience where reality and virtuality becomes closer to one, it will be really amazing. We really like the PSVR. And if MOTD:VR is received positively, we will make another title.

Q. At the TGS stage, it was announced that the long running ATR will be ending?
A. We have been doing this for three years now and knowing that there are many fans who'd say they love and enjoy the ATR's, I feel sorry if we say it's just ''bad luck''. But this was a decision from a positive reason. As the content for FFXV has increased, we who started the ATR, our circumstances has also changed. With this, from hereon, we have the intention to change our method of information disclosure to match with the development. And not just two old men doing it (laughs).

Q. So along with with the developments in 2018 that was touched on in the last ATR, you want to deliver news and information in a new format while maintaining the existing community? A. Yes, that's we intend to do. FFXV has been developed in an evolving format that includes many additional content and this has become a place where the development team can challenge new things. As a result, many new leaders are being born left and right. And in the ATR, we introduced a new leader ''Takahashi'' (Director of Comrades) and with that, we want to combine the newer generations and continue our communication with the fans. You know, the rate of every ones growth is amazing. That is, also the same with me, ever since the release until now, we haven't stopped (working) at all. We've just accumulated so much EXP (laughs).

Q. Please rest a bit so you can expend those experience points (laughs).
A. Right? (laughs) However, the continued development in 2018 was decided to meet the voices and expectations of the fans. If it wasn't for this, we would have finished already. But we want to deliver these voices and so we want to continue running till the very end.

Q. In regards to the updates contents to further enhance the story in 2018;
A. We are not saying that we are going to simply pull out additional fixed DLC, we are planning to do things that are deeply involved in the core story of the game. We want to do something... where it gives the player a meaningful reason to play it again, or something like that. In regards to the amount of content, looking at the current development, we are looking at around the amount of 4 DLC packs worth of content at maximum. As a AAA title, I think this is the limit. With this, we are going over on what we should deliver.

Q. You said that you will announce a roadmap for these updates within this year.
A. I want to release a roadmap sometime in November. If we can immediately start development, after Episode Ignis is released.

Q. What will the release format be for the additional DLC?
A. We are considering a new season pass that is different from the existing season pass that includes E.Ignis.

Q. I see. Also, it's also been announced that Noctis will be in Dissidia NT releasing next year right? A. Blah something about the XV combat team working in lieu with the NT director to develop Noctis. And that Noctis is being properly designed to match NT and what not. Boring stuff.
A. Lastly, over in the West, information has become confused on whether FFXV is coming or not coming on the Switch. What do you have to say about this?

Q. Ahh, yeah, it's gotten very confusing. We shouldn't cause trouble with other companies, but I am going to say this bluntly.

We have ''no'' plans at this current time to release FFXV on the Switch
Never the less, the Switch is a hardware that we love as well. We are however testing to see what can be made and the technology at this time. Currently we are using an engine that we have created and we are considering whether if we should continue to optimize the engine for the hardware or it's better to use Epic's Unreal Engine. In this situation Nintendo and Epic are both sharing the weight. ......And somehow saying this to the world, for some reason people assumed we were making a Switch version. I won't deny the possibility of the future, but really we really honestly don't have any plans.
For now, our goal is to release the Pocket Edition and PC Edition for a new audience to enjoy and allow existing fans to continue to enjoy with additional content. We just want people to enjoy the FFXV Universe next year.

ATR Report
Thanks to XXRaineXX of Reddit for translations:

1.This may be the very last ATR, but it hasn't been finalized.

2. COMRADES will offer 2 modes, multiplayer and singleplayer content. In multiplayer you can play with bots. Singleplayer, you will be set in Lestallum and you will be able to enjoy it as a RPG-like game.

3. The story is set when Noctis is missing and you will play as a Glaive during this time.

Set in the World of Darkness, your goal is to collect meteor shard to power up power stations to provide electricity to other areas. You progress as you connect the power line and as you do so, you also unlock perks for your character.

4. By completing quests, you can get items to upgrade your weapons. This aspect is a lot more expanded than the main game.

5. You can rescue NPC's and have them settle in the town. You can also set a NPC to be the leader of the town, with each NPC Leader providing different perks.

6. Sigils of the Kings - will provide different perks and give each player a certain role. Example, tanks and healers. Each Sigil will also provide different skills, such as ''Jump'', ''Airstep'', ''Taunt'' and ''Barrier''.

7. You can communicate by a variety of preset phrases or voice chat.

8.Sigils can be unlocked through the story.

9. A special skill ''Cheer'' temporarily increase the parties powers.

10. The demo was located in the abandoned Chocobo Post.

11. The vocals for the theme song is sung by a high school student. A Japanese High School student. Sidenote; She is was very popular at one point (still is kinda), she appeared in commercials stunning people with her powerful voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeUMV5aewD4

12. Tabata again says that he understands that there are many PC only players in the world despite the small PC market in Japan. And that MODS will allow players to create their own definitive edition.

13. With mods, you can create your own quests for example. You can set the location, the enemies and the powers etc and share them on such as the Steam workshop. This will also be available in Single and Multiplayer.

14. In regards to the VR game, Tabata explains why he chose fishing as the main theme. Although they attempted an action type VR game with Prompto last year, they figured that it was too difficult and the current VR technology did not allow for fast paced action with combo/link attacks. It would've taken a lot of resources and time to develop, so they moved towards a concept that allowed players to simply enjoy the game.

15. Monsters of the Deep is Part 1 of the VR games. They already have plans to further develop a part 2 using their new found experience with part 1.

16. An exclusive team has been working hard to develop Episode Ignis as the front of FFXV's last officially announced DLC. It will be filled with new information.

17. A trailer for Episode Ignis may be available next month.

18. Tabata and the dev team has been thinking if it's really okay to just let it ''end'' with Episode Ignis. With the survey that was done earlier this year, taking in the feedback of the players, everyone including Tabata, Ofuji and the development team thought about what they should do. FFXV has been to many different events all throughout the world and Tabata has been to each of them, meeting and talking to the fans. He asked what they liked, what they wanted and what they disliked. He thanks to all those that supported him and he says that after speaking to everyone, the biggest voice was ''Please don't let it end there'' and ''We want you to continue''. The demand for a bigger expanded story was big. Tabata wants to respond to these demands from the fans. They want to continue expanding the game through 2018 next year. He clarifies that as a company there are set plans and schedules and changing them is difficult. He apologizes that as a developer, their goal is to create new games. And he states that BD2 already has finalized their next big project, considering that, they thought about how they could balance this and continue to support FFXV next year. After after overcoming many obstacles and changing the structure of the development team, they are able to say that they are able to continue development next year.

19. They already have plans for what to accomplish next year and that is delivering on what fans want most. They will continue to and further development the story, filling up missing information.

20. It's not going as far as a sequel, but it's about the strengthening of the existing game and story. Tabata acknowledges that there were lacking aspects of the game. Not just the back stories of the characters or character development, but also with the world and lore as the world itself has a story of it's own. They have received much feedback on these fronts as well as in the survey and they worked hard until now to create a development structure to be able to deliver with everything we got. And again now, they are able to say, that this will be happening.

21. With the next update including story upgrades, it is based on the Summons. And this is just part 1 of the updates to come hereon.
In the update will also include a connection to Episode Ignis that Tabata thinks is a very important part of the story that players should know.

22. With that, they will continue to develop the world and it's characters in FFXV next year.
Probably within this year, they will announce the roadmap of what they want to do next year

Other tidbits

1. SE reports that FFXV has been a blockbuster success and has sold 6.5 million copies WW. FFXV broke even on Day One.
2. Tabata and co are working on a new IP, NOT FFXVI.
3. Work on FFXV has no effect on any other FF projects.

Toth

This is going to be a totally different game than what I played at the end of 2016

Tabata has not talked about any gameplay changes (yet) so all that will be different is fleshing out certain aspects of the story. The game will likely play exactly the same and have all the beefy content the game had at release. DLCs are DLCs though and that has been welcome mixes of gameplay mechanics from the main game.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I see that my wait for the FFXV: Complete Edition has extended to 2018. I shall hold strong.

For all the shit it gets on the story end of things, FFXV is an incredibly content rich and fun to play game. I'm completely abstaining from the DLC until I can get a complete version on PC, but I definitely got my $60 worth out of the base game and have no issues with more content coming.

I'd love for them to integrate the DLC into the main game. Having to into a menu to play them isn't as good to me. I'd love to start a fresh playthrough and whenever you reach the point where a DLC story is supposed to happen you just jump into it.

FiveSide

Banned
What is the endgame here? Audience retention? Building goodwill with the community? Experimenting with a new content release system? Polishing the experience until they have something that they feel they put their 100% into?

I don't object to this extended content schedule - after all, if any game I've played in recent memory needed additional content fleshing it out, it's probably FFXV - but I just have to wonder what the goal is.

Even if the motivation behind this is hard to parse, at the moment I'm choosing to interpret it positively. I think they really just want to add content and finally build XV up into the game they wanted it to be all along.

Tabata has not talked about any gameplay changes (yet) so all that will be different is fleshing out certain aspects of the story. The game will likely play exactly the same and have all the beefy content the game had at release. DLCs are DLCs though and that has been welcome mixes of gameplay mechanics from the main game.
Well that's what I mean. There is going to be so much stuff added through dlc and the free updates, it's going to feel like a new experience

Toth

What is the endgame here? Audience retention? Building goodwill with the community? Experimenting with a new content release system? Polishing the experience until they have something that they feel they put their 100% into?

I don't object to this extended content schedule - after all, if any game I've played in recent memory needed additional content fleshing it out, it's probably FFXV - but I just have to wonder what the goal is.

Even if the motivation behind this is hard to parse, at the moment I'm choosing to interpret it positively. I think they really just want to add content and finally build XV up into the game they wanted it to be all along.

I believe they are experimenting with a new content release system, addressing fan criticisms, and polishing older areas with better mastery of their programming tools. FFXV was such a huge success that they can actually see the effects of their tinkering from a larger audience and guage how this idea would work for other titles.

I mean they basically did the same thing with ff13, only back then they released 2 sequels. Both the game and season pass have clearly sold greatly above expectations so all this ff15 content gives the fans more mainline single play ff while work on ff7r, kh3, and probably ff16 happens.

New Roadmap in November let's go!

Q. And Comrades is set between the period Noctis goes missing....... IS CIDNEY-CHAN APPEARING IN IT!?
A. That's what you're asking? (laughs) Not necessarily in Comrades, but there are important characters that we are considering to cover next year in how they changed over the 10 year period. (This is it bois!)

Would be weird if she didn't show up after showing up in one of the beta missions.

I don't mind the second season pass. They've justified the initial price of the first one and while the PC version will get all of the first season's content out of the box, they'll have even more to look forward to.

Second season pass...Jesus.

He actually said...
We are considering a new season pass

Could be all free content updates. Could be one big expansion. Could be the four pieces of DLC they are considering above (as they said in the interview.)

Either way, we'll know more in November.

You just know it'll be Ardyn,cor,arenea and iris

I think it's a forgone conclusion they will at least focus on Regis, Cor, Luna, and Ardyn. But I do wonder how exactly it'll be stuctured as I think it'll be different from what the current season pass currently is (as the current one has the Multiplayer Expansion, and that was by far the more price heavy DLC in the season pass).

If the DLC packs are about as long as Gladiolus and Prompto with the depth of content those two got for $5. I expect we'll get a whole lot for something reasonable. I expect the next season pass (if they do one) to be cheaper than the first one. (Unless they plan to do a huge expansion like the Multiplayer Expansion. Like second world map huge.)

Kouriozan

This is how we don't get XV-II and Noctis Returns FF XV, so I'm OK with this.
Yes I'm aware about the ending, I plat-ed the game.

Fukuzatsu

Sounds like they listened to a ton of feedback, and I would be willing to buy in on a 'Season 2' of FFXV, since the game was still relatively fun, and I enjoyed Episode Prompto. Don't think any massive overhaul of the base game is in the cards, but if they wanted to keep doing episodes, Cor and Aranea seem like obvious picks.

Speaking of base games, how does that 6.5 million in sales compare to others, at least in their first release?

Phatcorns

This is going to be a totally different game than what I played at the end of 2016

You know, I've played every bit of content there has been for the game, and I beat it within the first two weeks of it coming out. The game is pretty much identical to what was released on day one. The expansion DLC is just that, expansions.

I really don't get where people are saying this game is completely different.

You know, I've played every bit of content there has been for the game, and I beat it within the first two weeks of it coming out. The game is pretty much identical to what was released on day one. The expansion DLC is just that, expansions.

I really don't get where people are saying this game is completely different.
Biggest game changers are multiple hunts and off road driving(chocobos are still better)

Not much else

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'm changing my mind again on this.

Keep them doing XV content so that XVI can be done by a completely different team and go in a different direction.

Sounds like they listened to a ton of feedback, and I would be willing to buy in on a 'Season 2' of FFXV, since the game was still relatively fun, and I enjoyed Episode Prompto. Don't think any massive overhaul of the base game is in the cards, but if they wanted to keep doing episodes, Cor and Aranea seem like obvious picks.

Speaking of base games, how does that 6.5 million in sales compare to others, at least in their first release?

Hard to gauge. It's a really, really high number, but previous FF game sales numbers post LTD. Some of them like FFXII reached 6M after three years, but we don't know numbers after that. FFXIII sold 6.6M after three years but after that they started combinding the numbers of all three XIII games so we don't know what XIII sits at now. FFX sold 6.6M after two years. After that they combined FFX and FFX-2 numbers.

But 6.5M in under a year for FFXV is not bad...

Edit: Other FF games... FFIX sold 5.3M after three years. FFVIII sold 6M within it's first year and 8.15M after four years. FFVII sold 9.8M by 2005 and as of August 2015 it has sold 11M copies with all versions.

The OP at the bottom has to reiterate points so people don't make presumptions that have already been proven false. So you know it's getting to the point where even the OP needs to iterate things before moving forward with the thread. Lol.

Koozek

It pretty much is, and it's pretty funny that we're to the point we're still posting about it in a lot of FFXV news posts so people can clearly see it and people still make the posts.
I've started adding the bit about its being a new IP as a disclaimer in the OP of several of my recent threads about BD2's future because too many people were still saying "Please no FFXVI by Tabata!!" and stuff, lol.

Marcel

I feel like I see this exact worded post in every Xv thread since November 29th 2016 lol

I feel like I see a pearl clutching Gaffer in every XV thread making incorrect assumptions about how XV is affecting the development of FFXVI so the other person's statement probably bears repeating.

I feel like I see a pearl clutching Gaffer in every XV thread making incorrect assumptions about how XV is affecting the development of FFXVI so the other person's statement probably bears repeating.
For sure it's annoying now we get it. You want Xvi this team isn't making it so give it a rest already

Reset

Enjoyed the dlc episodes they released so far, so if the second pass is anything like the first one I’ll buy it.

Fukuzatsu

Can the second season pass offer better outfits preferably ff outfits of the past

I'd imagine SOLDIER outfits are in a planning binder somewhere at the very least. I've got a little bit of hope for the new outfit in Episode Ignis if only because Prompto's snow gear was pretty fantastic.

ViciousDS

Banned
Give me the slow turning of those 10 years into 100% night in the world of ruin. It's absolutely the most interesting part of the game. I would love to see how it slowly turned to shit and how everyone finally held up basically in two-three areas to survive

Top Bottom