• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV copies out in the wild (street date broken in Peru, possibly elsewhere)

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Has this been posted yet?
cxfq-1puqaa75rby4ouu.jpg

Here's an idea SE. Don't even consider blocking the person altogether. He legit bought your game from a store, he didn't steal it.

Geg

Does the street date being broken this much happen for other games? I always hear about it happening but it feels like with this there are so many places around the world saying "fuck it" and selling early.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Does the street date being broken this much happen for other games? I always hear about it happening but it feels like with this there are so many places around the world saying "fuck it" and selling early.

FF and this early is definitely special, but well it is FFXV

thegamecollection(UK) have taken my money for the game, they don't usually do that until its dispatched :s

I know this has been happenning to people who ordered the Collectors Edition through Square-Enix, is this probably just a particularly early payment?

thegamecollection(UK) have taken my money for the game, they don't usually do that until its dispatched :s

I know this has been happenning to people who ordered the Collectors Edition through Square-Enix, is this probably just a particularly early payment?

Probably just doing the same scummy thing other UK companies have been doing, "take payment earlier, so they cant cancel it and go elsewhere".

SRV

Oh man, I placed my order withe them too! Don't do this to me, TGC. I payed with PayPal back in June, so I can't even check lol
Probably just early payment though.

Probably just doing the same scummy thing other UK companies have been doing, "take payment earlier, so they cant cancel it and go elsewhere".

Now you mention it, maybe they're aware that copies are out in the wild so rushed to get their payments. They've never charged me early before so I doubt they're that concerned with people cancelling and ordering from other sites, but if the game is available in a shop 11 days early, that is a threat to their sale.

HardRojo

We usually get most games early here in Peru, between 5-2 days early, though there are outliers like FF. Off the top of my head: Uncharted 4 (2 weeks early), MGSV (a week early IIRC), Mortal Kombat 9 (2 weeks early).

I know it happens rarely. The only time I remember that happening was when Littlebigplanet for the vita was released a week early because gamestop started selling it right away. Then Sony just gave every retailer the go ahead to start selling it. Hopefully Square just does the same thing, which I doubt happening.

Sylas

Here's an idea SE. Don't even consider blocking the person altogether. He legit bought your game from a store, he didn't steal it.
Even if they try he can just, you know, go offline.

But to everyone saying they should block it. Imagine, if you will, how shitty PSN servers tend to be--crashing before you can download the patch that's necessary to play the game whatsoever.

That'd be real fucked, wouldn't it? Or buying the game with the intention of never going online. You can always boot single player games without the day 1 patch. What you're suggesting would make that impossible.

It happens with most big games these days, and usually it starts in a random shop in some country nowhere near most of us :(

~Cross~

Anyone advocating for a way to block off access to a game before its officially release is just asking for a 100% digital future. So be careful what you wish for, less the monkey paw curl its finger.

RS4-

Lol I can't support a company or people that want others to not be able to play a game because they got it early.

Ouroboros

At least SE aren't lifetime banning people like Nintendo did with Pokemon.

Pokemon sun and moon were leaked early and pirated. I'm sure nintendo banned legit people who bought it early but I would think a call to Nintendos CS would unban those who bought it legit.

RS4-

At least SE aren't lifetime banning people like Nintendo did with Pokemon.

Pokemon sun and moon were leaked early and pirated. I'm sure nintendo banned legit people who bought it early but I would think a call to Nintendos CS would unban those who bought it legit.

Didn't they ban people who played illegitimate copies?

iirc they got the scum that went online with it. I believe reviewers were told not to use any of the online features. So I don't expect many people that got it the right way, to have been banned.

I have a friend who was told to stock the shelves at his toys r us with 3DS games and put up almost their entire new shipment of X and Y the day they recieved it. He didn't realize it was before release. They sold out very fast.

Surprisingly he was not fired!

Falk

that puzzling face
I have a friend who was told to stock the shelves at his toys r us with 3DS games and put up almost their entire new shipment of X and Y the day they recieved it. He didn't realize it was before release. They sold out very fast.

Surprisingly he was not fired!

Haha you'd think the guys who work retail would see the huge-ass buntings for the bigger games with a release date plastered on them.

I'm surprised impressions are so slow to trickle in. I figured people would be rabid to learn what lies beyond the heavily demoed areas.

Jake2by4

Never understood releasing it after Thanksgiving and black Friday. Wish they would had released it next week so I can have time to play it.

Haha you'd think the guys who work retail would see the huge-ass buntings for the bigger games with a release date plastered on them.

I think it varies. Where I work some stuff arrives with special display units absolutely plastered in notices saying 'not to be displayed until *date of release* while others just come with a single slip of paper saying the same. And lets just say that working in retail, the mind can easily wander and you might not necessarily care to read every single piece of paper you see :p

~Cross~

Never understood releasing it after Thanksgiving and black Friday. Wish they would had released it next week so I can have time to play it.

Probably wanted to make sure they had time for the patch and for the supply chain to have the titles before opening the flood gates. Clearly they overestimated the time they needed.

Damn, first time I've used "Over estimated the time they needed" for anything related to FFXV

catbrush

This is the first mainline FF game to get a worldwide release. Japan has strict codes of honor that prevent stores from breaking the street date.

Edit: I was trying to make a funny

Falk

that puzzling face
Probably wanted to make sure they had time for the patch and for the supply chain to have the titles before opening the flood gates. Clearly they overestimated the time they needed.

Damn, first time I've used "Over estimated the time they needed" for anything related to FFXV

I reckon 1.01 as seen on some pictures isn't the day 1 patch.

I guess we'll find out on Monday.

Aters

This is the first mainline FF game to get a worldwide release. Japan has strict codes of honor that prevent stores from breaking the street date.

I remember FFTA2 broke the street date at least one week before launch in Japan. I don't think it has anything to do with code of honor at all.

Mifec

You mean like how a crazy number stores break WSJ release date every week and manga gets scanned and put on the internet 5 days before it's officially out in Japan?

unless you were joking about the code of honor.

bigmac996

Uhm, stores DEFINITELY break the street date in Japan, I've witnessed it firsthand. Where are you getting your info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom