• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV copies out in the wild (street date broken in Peru, possibly elsewhere)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunafreya

Thousand thanks for the impressions Verendus!
Makes me feel easy about the game not that I had any doubts, but I do hope reviews and general impressions will be similar, this game has a lot on its back and I hope it can carry it in the general view.

JBwB

My god that was a satisfying read. Thank you Verendus, thank you dearly.

Also:

The combat is easily the best in the series, and one of the most enjoyable systems I've played in any game.

Holy shit.

Pacing and Progression:
Favourite game since Metal Gear Solid 3.
Second favourite Finale Fantasy of all time.
Game of the year.
Game of the generation.

Tabata era. Bahamut represent. Balee dat.

HOLY SHIT.

My god that was a satisfying read. Thank you Verendus, thank you dearly.

Also:

Holy shit.

HOLY SHIT.

Take a deep breath...calm down dont get too hyped...

raw

Seriously tho that is the highest praise I've ever seen the game receive.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Eh... could go up the street to check and see if my usual spot has it out early since they sell other things early, or I could keep being lazy today and play pokemon...

Gah dammit. I'll go check. (Japan btw)

go get yourself some カレーまん while you're at it.

Gemeanie

I really doubt there will be any female characters playable in the game, even with DLC. Tabata seems to be really against it. It's my biggest slight against the game. It really feels like the female characters will be completely vapid and uninteresting, and that all DLC will be male focused.
The producer mentioned recently they'll consider doing female characters dlc if there's clear demand:
http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/10/3...nix-will-consider-adding-female-heroes-as-dlc

Unless Luna ends up unlikable or the DLCs bomb I think they'd not want to pass on further opportunity to recoup the cost

LuuKyK

Ok I was on the fence about this game, but I decided to give this game a chance after those impressions especially the part about the ND influence.

Verendus did talk about something that worries me though. I've seen quite a bit about the game and not a single area or set piece evoked the sense of fantasy I love so much about final fantasy.

It's one of the reasons why I enjoyed so much XIII despite all it's flaws. I've yet to see a fantastic area like that futuristic garden in this. Everything looks like a slightly different version of a real world and that doesn't inspire me with much confidence. :(

Having said that and even though I have zero empathy towards Noctis and his generic look a like companions I will play this and judge on my own.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Final Fantasy XV also does something that genuinely surprised me, and turns its world upside down. While I spent the bulk of my journey in the open world, and became accustomed to a certain pace, the time soon came that a structural change occurred. Instead we entered what I referred to as the second part of the game which replaced the open world with a more focused narrative progression. You are not allowed to fully explore this new "area" so to speak as it's more guided and has no open world. It's a bold move, and I'm genuinely curious to see how people will respond to it, but I found it quite welcome. I'm not the biggest fan of open worlds, and after having spent over thirty hours in it, I was pretty happy to change things up. It stopped the title from wearing out its welcome.

If you think the surprises stop there, they don't. Once we're done with part two, we enter the end run of the title, which could be considered its own very little part. What's great about these two later parts is the change in tone, and how experimental it helps make the overall title feel.
Final Fantasy has always been a weird mash of tones, and you find this present very strongly in Final Fantasy 7. (My favourite in the series.) And this title reminded me of that thanks to the way it all came together. It mixes in action, spectacle, stealth, horror, and a very strong sense of adventure.

A question about the spoilered part + the bolded: can you comment on any end-game content? 7 is my favorite too, and part of that includes all of the things you can do once the game "opens up" near the end.
Even as much as I dislike 13, there were some time wasting things to do once that game opened up as well. Does 15 get so narrow / narrative focussed near the end as to eliminate this stuff? Anything specific you can mention with regards to traveling around and doing content that isn't story driven?

I have no idea what language I'm going to use as the dub for this game. On one hand Gladio's Japanese voice fits his character much better than hus English voice. On the other hand, Ardyn in English just sounds too damn good, though his Japanese voice is great as well.

After reading Verendus posts...... I feel something very strange in my heart...... oh god..... I can't believe I'm about to experience a new great main FF game....... it has been so long......

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the detailed impressions Verendus! XD

Balls

Banned
I don't want "RPG" like Skyrim or Fallout or the open world titles. I want RPZAASPG. That's Role Playing Zoned Action Adventure Set Piece Game. (I also want my goddamn snow town which is like Altissia.)

AMEN TO THAT BROTHA!! "True" open world games like Skyrim and Fallout bore the crap out of me.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The producer mentioned recently they'll consider doing female characters dlc if there's clear demand:
http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/10/3...nix-will-consider-adding-female-heroes-as-dlc

Unless Luna ends up unlikable or the DLCs bomb I think they'd not want to pass on further opportunity to recoup the cost

I don't believe a single word of that. They are saying that to shut people up until they forget about playable women. From their comments about how there can't be a playable female because people are hating on sexy females in games, to Tabata's butchery of Aya Brea in PE3...

No way. Season Pass 2 will feature more playable men. I'm pretty sure of that.

And I say that as a native French speaker. The original interview doesn't say they might do it. It says that there's a demand for it, so they'll look into it...and I still don't believe it.

Aters

Damn Verendus' impression makes my blood boil. I think FFXV is doing something bold, and I always, ALWAYS give credit to bold moves in such a stale industry.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Thanks for the detailed impressions Verendus :p

Can you say anything about the open world nature of the first part vs the second part? We all know it gets linear but to which extent? Literally corridors like FFXIII or more like old Zelda/Darksiders games with an HUB and dungeons/large areas connected to it through corridors? I really don't get it yet lol

Nya

Wow, reading Verendus impression of the game made me more hyped for the game than I already was. I, for one, like more character interaction than long cutscenes in the games I play, so reading that there is a lot of it makes me SUPER excited for the game!!!

29th can't come soon enough!!
Q_Q

Munba

Thanks a lot Verendus!
What about the ring magic and Airship content?
And when you say 'You are not allowed to fully explore this new "area"' this means the areas structure becomes like FF10 or a bit more open?

Toparaman

Banned
I agree with Verendus that FF games tend to have excellent first thirds or first halves, and then peter out. So if XV is the reverse of that I guess it ain't a bad thing. Boy is that opening crappy though.

Falk

that puzzling face
Wait is this supporting Neptunia or are you mocking it?

I actually thoroughly enjoyed the ReBirth series (as a barometer, I think the original Neptunia is one of the stinkiest dumpster fires ever put out by Compile Heart and that's saying something) and it's interesting watching a bottom-of-the-barrel developer evolve into making something that's both passable and actually... charming?

More than anything though I appreciate that everything in the games they make, incl. Fairy Fencer F, is skippable, from animations to dialogues, to cutscenes, to results screens. A turn-based franchise (excluding the action games) that respects my ever-dwindling free time.

As for the statement itself, only half joking. Obviously it's not going to be in the same league as P5/Berseria but it's JRPG fast food.

Tales is also JRPG fast food

On this "RPZAASPG" idea, could anyone attempt to compare to FF Type-0? Ignoring the technical limitations and half-baked overworld regions, every battle/mission was fundamentally a ludicrous set piece through a particular zone. The combat type was entirely experimental at the time but it's pretty easy to draw a line from there to XV. Extensive use of cutscenes, roaming dialogue and some "holy shit" moments, where the formula here seems somewhat similar? Lousy writing and voice acting, too!

The underwhelming presentation because of platform limitations squandered what was a lot of potential in that game and I can only imagine how it might have turned out as a console game with an overblown budget.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I actually thoroughly enjoyed the ReBirth series (as a barometer, I think the original Neptunia is one of the stinkiest dumpster fires ever put out by Compile Heart and that's saying something) and it's interesting watching a bottom-of-the-barrel developer evolve into making something that's both passable and actually... charming?

More than anything though I appreciate that everything in the games they make, incl. Fairy Fencer F, is skippable, from animations to dialogues, to cutscenes, to results screens. A turn-based franchise (excluding the action games) that respects my ever-dwindling free time.

As for the statement itself, only half joking. Obviously it's not going to be in the same league as P5/Berseria but it's JRPG fast food.

Tales is also JRPG fast food

At least Tales of Berseria seems like better than fast food? :)

SaniOYOYOY

thanks a lot Verendus for making my decision to play in Japanese dub :D

from your impression I am totally sure the story wont be another MGSV ,which is my biggest concern before.

really want more info on late game magic actually, the concept of combining fire ice and electricity sounds so much like dota2's invoker. was hoping somewhere in the late game you can invoke 2/3 part fire and 1/3 part lightning to summon a meteor (HA! exort exort wex) or 2/3 part lightning and 1/3 part ice to summon a tornado, or something similar
not an invoker player haha

Falk

that puzzling face
At least Tales of Berseria seems like better than fast food? :)

You could probably mix up footage from every Tales game starting from Xillia and people not into the franchise would be fooled into thinking it's the same game. Everything from combat/settings/cities/characters.

I'm hype for Berseria

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
You could probably mix up footage from every Tales game starting from Xillia and people not into the franchise would be fooled into thinking it's the same game. Everything from combat/settings/cities/characters.

I'm hype for Berseria

Same with Dragon Quest actually minus VIII and XI.

i love DQ

ULTROS!

Dragon Quest doesn't come out every two years though. Fast food needs to be fast.

More like I feel I mixed up images, towns, and characters from the DQ games, people will probably think it's from the same game.

Imagine World of Final Fantasy but replace it with DQ, it'll be hard to distinguish which town and area is from what DQ.

MilkBeard

Those are quite the impressions. Can't wait. I'm glad to hear positivity about the game as a whole.

Can't wait. However, I'm still deep into NaNoWriMo so the time will go quickly. Either way, I'll be looking to veg out and play this game for hours.

Mendrox

Still cautious. Honeymoon phase and all. I liked the demo, but still didn't get the same Final Fantasy feeling like with 7, 9 or 10 for me back then. The game is good no questions asked I played it myself with every demo, but I guess only 4 party members will always bug me.

Tyaren

Thanks so much Verendus. :) Great, in-depth review. I really enjoyed reading it.

Just one question, I asked already yesterday. So, is the continent of Lucis indeed the only open-world part of the game world?

Thanks so much Verendus. :) Great, in-depth review. I really enjoyed reading it.

Just one question, I asked already yesterday. So, is the continent of Lucis indeed the only open-world part of the game world?
If you read his detailed impressions, he says that the second half is a whole new 'area' which isn't open world and more linear. So I think, yes.

bigol

My only question is: how linear the second half is? FF XIII linear or Midgar linear? Don't like the first, like the second one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom