• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV Digital Mini Guide (free) - Summarized Critical Tips For Beginning Your Journey!

Source: https://cdn.sqexeu.com/files/ff15/roadtrip/miniguide.pdf

This is a FREE 22 page Mini Guide from the Official Piggyback FFXV Guide.

The Full Guide can be purchased through Amazon for $15!
Here's how: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/comments/5ew4fs/you_can_get_the_ffxv_collectors_edition_guide_for/

I will summarize the critical tips from the 22 page mini guide so we can get a JUMP START on the grand journey that awaits us in Eos!

I haven't played the game yet, but I want to make this because I'm pumped (and I'm bored, forgive me lol).

***If you have played/beaten an early copy of FFXV, please DO NOT post spoilers. This is a SPOILER-FREE FFXV thread. Thank you!***

• Enable "Wait Mode" from the Pause menu if you want a more RTWP (real-time with pause) feel to combat
  • 2 Difficulty Modes - Easy (lowers enemy attributes and multiplies Wait Timer by 10), Normal
  • Access Tutorial from Pause menu
  • Day/Night Cycle. Day: Encounter enemies within your level range. Night: Enemies are more powerful. So head for a Camp/Lodging in the evening to avoid the night until you are prepared!
  • You can Save Manually. SAVE OFTEN! (There is an autosave feature, but don't rely on it!)
  • Noctis' MP gauge bar (Magic Points) when fully depleted, will force him into Stasis, where his special moves are disabled temporarily
  • Enable the "Stamina Gauge" in the Pause menu setting! This will represent how much energy you have left for energetic activities like hanging from warp positions and sprinting. If the bar turns red (from green) you will be exhausted and be unable to hang or sprint until the gauge turns green.
  • Food effects are shown as blue icons at the bottom of the screen
  • Combat effects are shown to the left of your party member's HP gauges (green icons = buffs, red icons = ailments)
  • Noctis' Tech Bar refills as you attack/defend against enemies. Some techniques require a single segment, whereas others require a full gauge!
  • ***Endless Sprinting Tip*** Hold Circle/B or Press L3 to Sprint. Sprinting gradually depletes the Stamina bar. It will refill gradually if you stop sprinting. But you can INSTANTLY REFILL your stamina while sprinting! This depends on you preferred input method for sprinting however. If you activate sprint with L3, PRESS L3 again just before the stamina bar reaches zero. If you use Circle/B, RELEASE the input at the same moment. Successful input will allow Noctis to warp forward and your stamina gauge will be instantly refilled. Do not spam button inputs. It takes practice, but allows you to virtually sprint endlessly.
  • You don't need the distracting stamina bar enabled. :)
    When you sprint watch Noctis' posture closely. Once he is about to run out of stamina his upper body shifts into a more upright position. Immediately let the sprint button go and Noctis gets the infinite stamina boost. Practice it a little and then you can sprint for an unlimited of time without the stamina bar. - Tyaren
  • You can Fast Travel to previously driven to locations for a small fee.
  • Keep note of the Regalia's fuel tank gauge as you might run out of gas during a quest!
  • Investiage your surroundings to find Deposits which contain useful rewards such as elemental energy needed to craft magic, valuable treasures to sell, and cooking ingredients.
  • There is no limit to how many active sidequests you have, so accept as many you find!
  • Intearctive Conversations during your adventure will reward you with different rewards. Mostly in terms of gaining EXP or AP. AP rewards are more valuable so try to earn that instead of EXP!
  • Be careful of selling your Treasures! Some can be used as catalysts to transmute spells when crafting magic, while others are needed to complete sidequests.
  • You can "Roll-Dodge" to avoid incoming attacks by TAPPING Square/X.
  • A second defensive move at your arsenal is the Defend/Phase command. HOLD Square/X to evade/PHASE through attacks automatically. However, phasing costs MP and some enemies' more powerful moves cannot be phased through. Instead, you will have to either Roll-Dodge or Parry.
  • Enemies will perform specific attacks that will trigger an on-screen button prompt to guard against by HOLDING Square/X. Shortly afterward, another button prompt will allow you to Parry with Circle/B. This is the critical skill to master for harder battles in the game. To summarize, every time that prompt appears, hold the guard button (Square/X) and be ready to swiftly input Circle/B within milliseconds to successfully parry.
  • Countering: (wait you thought we were done here? bruh, this is a JRPG). After a successful parry, you can follow up with a Counter attack by pressing Circle/B a second time, just moments after the initial parry. It's recommended to spam Circle/B after a parry to do a follow-up counter attack as the timing is tricky. So practice!
  • You can "Warp-Kill" HUMAN enemies only if you are undetected before battle foramlly starts by pressing the Triangle/Y button prompt that will appear. You will kill the target in a single warp strike regardless of its HP/resistances!
  • Staggering: While equipping a shield type weapon and managing to successfully block an incoming attack with the defend command (holding Square/X), you may briefly stagger the enemy in return. Larger creatures will only be staggered by achieving a "perfect defense", which means inputting the defend command during the last frames before the enemy lands its attack.
  • You are immune during Warping (Triangle/Y) and Warp-Striking enemies.
  • You can instantly restore Noctis' MP by warping to blue markers.
  • Hold Square/X when the prompt appears in proximity to areas in order to take cover. You will regen HP and MP faster when behind cover.
  • You can skip/escape encounters by simply sprinting away from the battle zone, indicated by the mini-map's red perimeter. Incapacitated party members will automatically escape with you!
  • Tapping Circle/B will perform Single Attacks which are unique attacks. Tapping Circle/B in quick succession performs combos.
  • Automatic Combos can be performed by holding Circle/B and ends with a powerful blow.
  • You can tilt the direction of the L-stick after the first hit of a combo, either by pressing or holding the attack (Circle/B) button, to perform directional attacks.
  • At any point during a combo, you can stop (even after a single attack) to input a Finisher, which has special properties. Release Circle/B during a combo, then press it again during the "Finisher window". A Finisher opportunity will be accompanied by a visual cue.
  • You can perform Breaks on enemy's distinct body parts/appendages. When locked on to an enemy, cycle the foe's parts with R-stick. Performing Breaks on body parts will lead to positive effects depending on the enemy.
  • Two different species of enemies may very well be susceptible to different weapon types, so get used to switching weapons on the fly with the D-pad
  • Critical hits will happen randomly from basic attacks to combos. You can increase your chances through weapon-induced buffs.
  • The longer range your Warp-Strike is, the more damage it will do.
  • Perform "Blindsides" which are "special contextual attacks" that you will perform automatically by attacking behind an enemy.
  • Link Attacks are "special contextual moves" that you can perform when standing close to a party member as they both initiate an attack together. For example, you can perform a Blindside Link (2 blindside attacks combined into a single move) if you and a party member are close to each other and behind an enemy. Link attacks are accompanied by bonus damage multipliers.
  • The number of Magic Flasks you own is how many spells you can craft.
  • You will need to absorb Fire/Ice/Lightning Elemental Energy from deposits, commonly found around havens, to craft spells.
  • There are 3 spell tiers when crafting spells. Tier 1 (e.g. Fire, 1-99 power), Tier 2 (-ra, Fira, 100-199 power), Tier 3 (-ga, Firaga, 200+ power).
  • You will need more units of energy to make a more powerful spell (damage + effect radius), as seen above. So gather as much elemental energy as you can!
  • You can mix different elements together and add in catalysts to transmute spells with unique bonus effects. (E.g. 10 units of Fire energy + Potion = Fire spell that heals you)
  • When attacking an enemy, you can determine if they are resilistent or prone to your specific types of attacks. For example, White Damage Values = standard damage. Orange = Increase damage (enemy weakness). Purple = reduced damage (enemy resistance)
  • My protip: you can hold X to loot stuff on the floor instead of tapping X on them one at a time.
    Also, focus on upgrading some of your Exploration tree first so you get more AP for camping, etc - Revolutionary

_______

ENJOY!

If you happen to add anything useful, please post for newcomers like myself for November 29th!

Trace

Banned
But I heard that combat in this game is just hold circle to attack and hold square to defend?

Only a few more days, I loved the combat in Judgment Demo. So stylish.

But I heard that combat in this game is just hold circle to attack and hold square to defend?

Only a few more days, I loved the combat in Judgment Demo. So stylish.

As a Bloodborne fan who considers that combat system GOAT, FFXV's combat style definitely feels like it was inspired from FROM SOFTWARE'S Bloodborne. It seems to have incredible depth baked into the simplicity from the outset.

I'm hyped to play it man! You'll probably, most definitely need to master the system in order to tackle the harder hunts in the game if I had to bet.

Think i'm going to get the Hardcover edition. I've always liked piggyback guides. It comes to around $17 and change, shipped with that HOLIDAYBOOK promo they got going on at amazon right now. Just have to find some book to put you over $25 for the order total.

Think i'm going to get the Hardcover edition. I've always liked piggyback guides. It comes to around $17 and change, shipped with that HOLIDAYBOOK promo they got going on at amazon right now. Just have to find some book to put you over $25 for the order total.

Lol, literally posted a guide for this as you posted.

Cheers!

Rootbeer

Banned
Nice! I ordered the HC guide months ago but cancelled it earlier today so I could re-order it for $15 (Wario64 tweeted about it)

So Noctis can't use Libra in active mode?

According to the mini-guide, Noctis' Libra ability is constrained during Wait-Mode only. You must lock-on to an enemy during Wait-Mode and wait for the lock-on gauge to fill up (scanning process) in order to Libra the enemy.

Ignis has the "Analyze" ability you can buy which can bypass the "scanning" process. The way the mini-guide words it is that Libra can only used during Wait Mode since you need to break the Libra "seal" for each enemy you scan. Someone with the game can clarify though.

Tyaren

You don't need the distracting stamina bar enabled. :)
When you sprint watch Noctis' posture closely. Once he is about to run out of stamina his upper body shifts into a more upright position. Immediately let the sprint button go and Noctis gets the infinite stamina boost. Practice it a little and then you can sprint for an unlimited of time without the stamina bar.

Demonfang

Banned
According to the mini-guide, Noctis' Libra ability is constrained during Wait-Mode only. You must lock-on to an enemy during Wait-Mode and wait for the lock-on gauge to fill up (scanning process) in order to Libra the enemy.

Ignis has the "Analyze" ability you can buy which can bypass the "scanning" process. The mini-guide doesn't make it clear if Libra is only used during Wait Mode. Someone with the game can clarify though.

You can analyse enemies in game by holding R1 in active mode. A brief description will appear at the top of the screen but the game does not pause. I think i learned ignis's ability to do so on the acension grid.

When you sprint watch Noctis' posture closely. Once he is about to run out of stamina his upper body shifts into a more upright position. Immediately let the sprint button go and Noctis gets the infinite stamina boost. Practice it a little and then you can sprint for an unlimited of time without the stamina bar.

Awesome! TY. Added to the OP.

You can analyse enemies in game by holding R1 in active mode. A brief description will appear at the top of the screen but the game does not pause. I think i learned ignis's ability to do so on the acension grid.

So if you don't have that ability, you're stuck with Wait-Mode Libra?

My protip: you can hold X to loot stuff on the floor instead of tapping X on them one at a time.

Also, focus on upgrading some of your Exploration tree first so you get more AP for camping, etc

So you only have to do this maneuver once and then sprinting becomes endless or do you have to do it each time you're stamina is about to run out? Mini-guide doesn't make it clear on this specific part for me.

VanEpoch

Neo Member
So you only have to do this maneuver once and then sprinting becomes endless or do you have to do it each time you're stamina is about to run out? Mini-guide doesn't make it clear on this specific part for me.

Each time it runs out, it just refills the bar.

Top Bottom