• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 29 - Jan 4 | 2015: An Esports Odyssey

NEO0MJ

this was what i was talking about.

in8Spj9.gif

Fucking nerds.

Though seriously, that's hilarious.

AAK

This is kind of a dumb question... but I never really knew. If you're playing a game that is natively at 720p like GGxrd or TTT2 but you're playing on the EVO Monitor... which display setting on the ps3 induces the least lag 720p or 1080p?

Sayad

This is kind of a dumb question... but I never really knew. If you're playing a game that is natively at 720p like GGxrd or TTT2 but you're playing on the EVO Monitor... which display setting on the ps3 induces the least lag 720p or 1080p?
PS3 setting won't change anything for either game! Don't think the PS3 upscale 720 games to 1080, so those games will just run exactly the same in both display settings. In some 1080 games, like GT6, setting the PS3 display to 720 will give you a better frame-rate though.

alstein

But 2014 didn't suck for me x.x/

didn't suck for me. This year is likely to suck for me though- most likely I get my career ended as much as my FGC career was ended two years ago. (and the nail in the hammer was last month- at least and especially for anime)

PS3 isn't like the 360, it will only upscale/up-res if the game supports it. If the back of the box doesn't say 1080p it will only go as high as 720p.

So yeah, if your monitor's native res is 1080p there will be some slight lag since it has to upscale the PS3 image itself.

AAK

Intersting... so all these 1080p EVO monitors will inherently have some lag because the ps3 can't upscale?

Kimosabae

Banned
Meleemotional - I love it.

I think the first point is undebatable. Smash 4 has no capacity at all for blockstring pressure.

I don't find the Oki game weak, though. I like any game with tech rolls, you have to react quickly and go where they go. I pick a lot of people up after a knockdown with Bowser. Especially, since people like to attack on Oki, running up and shielding is very effective.

I think the footsies could be better. Being able to dash left/right without a skid would be wonderful. At the same time, I wouldn't say they don't exist, especially as people continue to master perfect pivoting, pivot grabs, and pivot tilts. I have found Bowser to be stronger than ever as I work these latter two into my game more (his perfect pivot sucks).

I don't think the evidence you've presented using Bowser convinces me that the oki game isn't weak. At least in relation to Melee and other, more traditional fighters. That's great that you can punish hard reads hard with combos, which makes it better than Brawl, at least. But due to the slow speed, your reads on rolls have to be hard ones and tech chasing is out of the question. So you lack a consistent Oki pressure game that characters like Melee Marth, Falcon or even Ganon thrive on.

Melee allows one to continuously put their opponent in a bad situation with good grab reads until they're ready to make a bigger commitment justified by their opponent's higher percentage or their positioning on the stage or both. Just like a good traditional fighter that allows you a hard knockdown > read > hard knockdown > harder read > bigger reward etc.

That may exist in Smash WiiU, but it's significantly nerfed.

Now, one can enjoy that more, if they choose. It's just not what people coming from a traditional competitive fighting game background are conditioned to like. I shouldn't have said the game is "crap", especially since the game is so early. But at the same time, unless something crazy happens with movement tech, this won't change.

Brawl and Smash WiiU are just their own thing. If you were at least granted precise control over characters on the ground, I'd be willing to grant comparison to Street Fighter (and I could find them enjoyable) but they don't. Not even walking allows that. So we agree the footsie game is weak as well, not non-existent, but weak.

That said frame traps still exist in Tekken of course, it's a substantial part of the game. But there is no "stuck in block stun for 4-5 seconds and repeatedly guess a bunch of 50/50s".

Too bad :D

Dahbomb

Just like a good traditional fighter that allows you a hard knockdown > read > hard knockdown > harder read > bigger reward etc.
Didn't people say that this type of game play is exactly what was wrong with AE 2012 to begin with? Like this is exactly the type of game play that Akuma had before in USF4 which made him top tier (he still does to some extent but it's weaker because the other player can change his get up timing so that it's harder for Akuma to get the read on the opponent).

If you like this sort of stuff then if I were you I would not touch Omega mode at all. There are no hard knockdowns in the game.

Seems like newer games are reducing the impact of oki if we are to assume that Omega mode is a test bed for SFV. T7 has already done away with the difficulty of the oki game for many players. I can sort of understand this, it's bad enough that players lost health because they got hit but being put into repeated bad situations can turn off many new players. I mean this is one of the reasons for the waning interest in Marvel especially for people who try to get into the game (ie. get hit, put into a bad situation, get hit again because you made a bad guess/read, put into another bad situation, make another bad guess/read, you lose game).

mbpm1

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";145607776]Man I suck with Elena but using Rhino Horn to punish neutral jumps is the best.[/QUOTE]

Fuck Rhino Horn

Kimosabae

Banned
Didn't people say that this type of game play is exactly what was wrong with AE 2012 to begin with? Like this is exactly the type of game play that Akuma had before in USF4 which made him top tier (he still does to some extent but it's weaker because the other player can change his get up timing so that it's harder for Akuma to get the read on the opponent).

If you like this sort of stuff then if I were you I would not touch Omega mode at all. There are no hard knockdowns in the game.

I've personally never had a problem with that stuff, I typically dismiss people that had a problem with vortexes in 2012 as whiney (sorry).

*Cue Viper comments*

The difference with Melee, is that the there's stocks and edge guarding to consider, also, so getting railed from 0-90% in a Fox vs. Ganon matchup can become ultimately meaningless if Ganon can escape and make 2-3 good reads.

*edit*

I think I misunderstood your point. Maybe you can just chalk it up to a taste thing, like Kars was saying. Marvel/Melee/GG players are of a similar ilk.

Kimosabae

Banned
Well the "whiners" got what they wanted and reduced the vortex/set play in USF4 dramatically.

Setplay means offensive flow and that's a great thing. People like to correlate games/characters that foster it as "mindless", as if that were a bad thing, also.

My suspicion speaking to those people is that, it's not the "mindlessness" they want to avoid as much as being pressured into having dedicate extra time in training mode to play cleanly.

Dahbomb

I think I misunderstood your point. Maybe you can just chalk it up to a taste thing, like Kars was saying. Marvel/Melee/GG players are of a similar ilk.
I am basically saying that many people don't like that type of playstyle. Yeah many people do like that playstyle but enough players don't where it has shaped the way new fighting games are being made (T7 and USF4 as examples). Whether that makes a game more or less "competitive" is highly debatable.

Setplay means offensive flow and that's a great thing. People like to correlate games/characters that foster it as "mindless", as if that were a bad thing, also.

My suspicion speaking to those people is that, it's not the "mindlessness" they want to avoid as much as being pressured into having dedicate extra time in training mode to play cleanly.
See now here's where your definition of set play (which is accurate in terms of the actual definition of the term) differs from other people who talk about set play and mindlessness.

Set play to these people mean "execute plan A, action B, C, D follow afterwards without consequence". It's a set of actions that play out in order without fail which lead into a win condition. The extreme form of "set play" is the Firebrand set play or the Iron Man MVC2 set play. These guys touch you, snap in character, unblockable set up, combo, unblockable set up, combo. This is all "set play" off of one touch which leads to a win condition (or at the very least a huge lead). The AE 2012 unblockables were also a type of set play.

Simple oki pressure/mix up isn't what people mean by set play in fighting games.

just finally got guilty gear yesterday and played today. games harddddd
only because I never have time to play and learn the game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";145602655]Move to the bay area im looking for people to split.[/QUOTE]
Only if the Internet isn't shitty :p

Kimosabae

Banned
I am basically saying that many people don't like that type of playstyle. Yeah many people do like that playstyle but enough players don't where it has shaped the way new fighting games are being made (T7 and USF4 as examples). Whether that makes a game more or less "competitive" is highly debatable.

You're right. The only thing that makes a game more competitive is more people willing to compete. That said, the Marvel/GG/Melee type of games demand more, physically, before you can be even be competitive, which is more inline with tradition. That's my overall point.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I think I've played enough smash 4 to know that I don't want to buy a Wii u to play more of it.

But if my friends start beating me in it then idk maybe

Dahbomb

His post in the DMC4 Vergil Edition thread made it seem like he left Gaf on his own on a pilgrim XD
The ban did me good in all honesty although I did get lucky that no new information was released on the games in that time. That's when it's the hardest when you are banned, otherwise I didn't have any real impulse to post on GAF.

Exr

I think I've played enough smash 4 to know that I don't want to buy a Wii u to play more of it.

But if my friends start beating me in it then idk maybe
Yeah it feels better than brawl and I have fun playing it with friends but I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed at the a real gameplay itself. That or I'm just a huge Project M nuthugger now.

FYI, for anyone who reads this thread but not the Smash thread: the grace period for match 1 ends soon, so play up or get removed.

I don't think the evidence you've presented using Bowser convinces me that the oki game isn't weak. At least in relation to Melee and other, more traditional fighters. That's great that you can punish hard reads hard with combos, which makes it better than Brawl, at least. But due to the slow speed, your reads on rolls have to be hard ones and tech chasing is out of the question. So you lack a consistent Oki pressure game that characters like Melee Marth, Falcon or even Ganon thrive on.

Melee allows one to continuously put their opponent in a bad situation with good grab reads until they're ready to make a bigger commitment justified by their opponent's higher percentage or their positioning on the stage or both. Just like a good traditional fighter that allows you a hard knockdown > read > hard knockdown > harder read > bigger reward etc.

That may exist in Smash WiiU, but it's significantly nerfed.

Now, one can enjoy that more, if they choose. It's just not what people coming from a traditional competitive fighting game background are conditioned to like. I shouldn't have said the game is "crap", especially since the game is so early. But at the same time, unless something crazy happens with movement tech, this won't change.

Brawl and Smash WiiU are just their own thing. If you were at least granted precise control over characters on the ground, I'd be willing to grant comparison to Street Fighter (and I could find them enjoyable) but they don't. Not even walking allows that. So we agree the footsie game is weak as well, not non-existent, but weak.

Too bad :D
I wouldn't say the footsie game is weak, just weaker than I would like it to be.

If you chase a tech roll late, you still have heavy frame advantage. I think that's enough. /shrug

We're about to get a FGC-GAF-TV House y'all!
They can all post on forums all day together! Kappa.

FYI, for anyone who reads this thread but not the Smash thread: the grace period for match 1 ends soon, so play up or get removed.

I wouldn't say the footsie game is weak, just weaker than I would like it to be.

If you chase a tech roll late, you still have heavy frame advantage. I think that's enough. /shrug

They can all post on forums all day together! Kappa.
Can people still join?

xezuru

Yeah it feels better than brawl and I have fun playing it with friends but I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed at the a real gameplay itself. That or I'm just a huge Project M nuthugger now.

Some nuts are worth hugging

Vena

I think this is more a character dependence/balance issue than an overall to the game. Falcon and ZSS can chase like nutjobs straight into kill combos.

Top Bottom