• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 29 - Jan 4 | 2015: An Esports Odyssey

Anybody attempt to join these Edition Select USF4 online tournaments that Valle is doing on his stream? I'd like to try and join one but I don't know how since I just got home and found out about it.

CPS2

Single handedly the reason why character design discussions tend to be not fun around these parts. Remember, if I don't like a thing that means it's pandering to something else.
I want pandering designs so that I can want to use those characters, then feel embarrassed and not use them, and then make fun of people who do use them. And I might say stuff like "what a waste of a character slot" and "what kind of pervert would use _____" but thats just a defense mechanism. And then I'll stick with Ken and mash dragon punch which is the correct way to play fighting games.

If bursts are reactable, then I am okay with them.

If they weren't, I still say they are on par with TACs. When comboing people you early TAC, and bait TAC counters into resets, all the time. This is common with FChamp, and I have three different resets I swap between off of TAC baits. Same thing with a burst, unless they are reactable.

I finished Xrd's story mode, and rather enjoyed it. Would love to see some of those story mode characters playable.

Damn, that's too bad =/

I'm looking for a ps4/ps3 stick, since I'll buy a ps4 in the near future, are there any others?
Madcatz or bust, it seems.

Busaiku

jDJpfq0.jpg
And so we got Persona 4 Arena.

Rhapsody

Banned
If bursts are reactable, then I am okay with them.

If they weren't, I still say they are on par with TACs. When comboing people you early TAC, and bait TAC counters into resets, all the time. This is common with FChamp, and I have three different resets I swap between off of TAC baits. Same thing with a burst, unless they are reactable.

I finished Xrd's story mode, and rather enjoyed it. Would love to see some of those story mode characters playable.

Madcatz or bust, it seems.

Yeah. Bursts are actually pretty difficult to use as a combo breaker in GG. With the startup and how far they pop up, they can easily whiff. There's also the fact that you can do burst safe parts in your combos and then react to parts where they might burst after.

I always liked how GG handled bursts. Plus it's always a great feeling when you throw them out of their burst.

BBCT's bursts were really dumb on how it regarded the startup. And then there's BBCP where you have to hard read it.

we gotta have a end of year vote

Most improved player
Most unimproved player of the year
FG of the year
Most hype event
L of the year
Player of the year
Biggest blow up
Best commentator
Best stream

DaiGOAT

hitsugi

Most improved player
FG of the year
Most hype event
L of the year
Player of the year
Biggest blow up
Best commentator
Best stream

DaiGOAT

...your old avatar was so good, man. what is this?!

Mr. X

From a sales perspective sure, but there are quite a few people interested in the quality of the game's tournament value. Why be so harshly dismissive of the competitive following MK9 & Injustice built up? Particularly when NRS has verbalized an ongoing focus to developing with them in mind.

When they make a bad iteration, they complain and keep playing instead of playing the good one. Smash scene wont put up with what they dont like cause it's new and shiny and they won't stop people if they do enjoy it (quite the opposite).

Can't you say the same for SF and Marvel?
And GG and SC and more.

Its mindless, SC scene nearly died because they kept playing SC3.
AE was hurting turnouts too, they wouldnt go back to Super, luckily Capcom did AE2012 in time.
ST players dropped HDR, Damdai made THawk top tier and Tournament of Legends is fucking amazing.

When they make a bad iteration, they complain and keep playing instead of playing the good one. Smash scene wont put up with what they dont like cause it's new and shiny and they won't stop people if they do enjoy it (quite the opposite).

And GG and SC and more.

Its mindless, SC scene nearly died because they kept playing SC3.
AE was hurting turnouts too, they wouldnt go back to Super, luckily Capcom did AE2012 in time.
ST players dropped HDR, Damdai made THawk top tier and Tournament of Legends is fucking amazing.

What are you talking about? The most popular competitive MK game until the MK9 era was UMK3, which wasn't the shiny new thing. MK9 is the first truly competitive game so we don't know what would happen. MKX will be good though so it'll likely completely replace MK9.

smurfx

get some go again
can you count flocker as the most unimproved? looks like he stayed at the same level after winning evo and justin, champ and chris g seemed to improve.

Mr. X

What are you talking about? The most popular competitive MK game until the MK9 era was UMK3, which wasn't the shiny new thing. MK9 is the first truly competitive game so we don't know what would happen. MKX will be good though so it'll likely completely replace MK9.
Injustice virtually replaced MK9.
Even Evo knows you guys stick to whats new.
MKX will be good? It just proves my point, you guys care about new more than quality. Im aware you are involved with the development in some way.

can you count flocker as the most unimproved? looks like he stayed at the same level after winning evo and justin, champ and chris g seemed to improve.

Mine would sadly be Mago-san.

nothing been the same since they nerfed Fei Long and tucked a 2DGOD back into pajama clothes

Azure J

Most improved player
FG of the year
Most hype event
L of the year
Player of the year
Biggest blow up
Best commentator
Best stream

DaiGOAT

I'd probably go full Smash stan and vote Big House 4 top 8 as the most hype event of the year. Either that or aMSa as player of the year. Dude brought incredible hype to the Melee scene.

K.Sabot

I'd have everything unlocked in XRD by now if they gave you points for being in training mode.

But nope, only managed to unlock Sin yesterday because I've been spending Lord Knight amount of time in the training room, and then held down my turbo button and turned off my TV through story mode.

MKX will be good? It just proves my point, you guys care about new more than quality. Im aware you are involved with the development in some way.

There's a decent amount of NRS players who continue to prefer MK9 over Injustice and some don't play IGAU at all.

We had both games at EVO in 2013 and a MK9 side tournament with 80 entrants at EVO 2014. MK9 has continued to be a side tournament at most majors.

MK9 is a super important game to me personally but it's not a flawless game I want to play for the rest of my life. MKX will likely replace MK9 because it's a better game, not entirely because it's new. I will continue to enter Injustice at every tournament I go to next year BTW.

kirblar

There's a decent amount of NRS players who continue to prefer MK9 over Injustice and some don't play IGAU at all.

We had both games at EVO in 2013 and a MK9 side tournament with 80 entrants at EVO 2014. MK9 has continued to be a side tournament at most majors.

MK9 is a super important game to me personally but it's not a flawless game I want to play for the rest of my life. MKX will likely replace MK9 because it's a better game, not entirely because it's new. I will continue to enter Injustice at every tournament I go to next year BTW.
OSU is ok with MKX replacing MK9?

Spoiler alert: Kitana's back. :p

Sayad

Umm, that kinda make your point a very poor one! I mean, Osu either think MKX is good because he get to play the game a lot and know the game, or because he can't say otherwise since he's working on it... But lets use that as a proof that NRS community will embrace any new game regardless of quality!

And lets forget that until MK9 they were playing UMK3...

Sayad

What new game doesn't replace the old one? The only exception that I know is smash.
Yep, in recent years at least, outside Smash(and this happened because the devs intentionally tried to distance their game from competitive play) it only happen with niche games where few people sticking to what they see as the best iteration amount to "most of the community".

Mr. X

What new game doesn't replace the old one? The only exception that I know is smash.
Sf2 players. They play ST not HDR.
3s players abandoned the arc revision with unblockables removed
VSav players dont play VH2 or VS2 or the other VSav arc revisions
KoF98um and KoF02um get more play than other KoFs. I think OG kof02 is prefered in some regions.
No one played that CvS2 update

There are still people that play MK2 & UMK3. UMK3 is still a side tournament at some majors. Like I'm sorry our scene isn't big enough to have 2D MK, MK9 and Injustice all at majors as main stage games.

mbpm1

There are still people that play MK2 & UMK3. UMK3 is still a side tournament at some majors. Like I'm sorry our scene isn't big enough to have 2D MK, MK9 and Injustice all at majors as main stage games.

Imagine every incarnation of MK at all majors.

Smash has quite a pull

Smash 4 online seems pretty fun, I guess I'm glad I didn't play Smash competitively before so it wouldn't taint my current experience...

Top Bottom