• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 18-24 | Forget it Jake, it's Capcom Town

Jazz-ism

Banned
I haven't played a single gaffer online or offline that has been able to beat me consistently or at all. Ask anybody here that's played me and theres a good chance it's been a wash.

who is you tho? Aren't you Deckard Cain's alt or something?

Glad you follow my posts tho

i must admit im impressed. I didnt think you would even be able to read my posts without me cooning, selling out or using emojis

its good that you have developed a sense of confidence in your play. i do warn you however, that the world is both large and small at the same time. is your confidence based on defeating strong opponents? consider that if it isnt, it may be ill placed...

you ask an interesting question, my son. Who am I? i am many things. former powerlifter, boxer, teacher, med school hopeful. however, in the context of this discussion, I am a fighting game player. If you are confused, it may be because you arent sure what that is...

naturally I must turn the same question to you...
Who are YOU to have such an ego about his play? What results from what events in the past 2-3 years do you have to show to justify such an attitude...? you mention offline, but where do you hail from?

Jazz-ism

Banned
if blackule goes to evo i will gladly oblige. i dont even play sf4 but i will gladly put 50 on it under the condition if I win he must delete his neogaf account

jWILL253

Banned
That "Go back to the BCT" post should be bannable on it's own, tbh.

You might as well should say "go back to the nigga thread".

RedEther

ねも ‏@GOOD_NEMO 7m
I got day off and decided to go to EVO this year.
My schedule must be hard for me but I really wanna be CapcomCup finalist,nonetheless.

ねも ‏@GOOD_NEMO 7m
Now,I don't play Marvel a lot but that's one of my favorite game, so I'm looking forward to playing with everybody.Thank you.

https://twitter.com/GOOD_NEMO/status/602505572433334272
https://twitter.com/GOOD_NEMO/status/602505595564916736

That's great news

ねも ‏@GOOD_NEMO 7m
I got day off and decided to go to EVO this year.
My schedule must be hard for me but I really wanna be CapcomCup finalist,nonetheless.

ねも ‏@GOOD_NEMO 7m
Now,I don't play Marvel a lot but that's one of my favorite game, so I'm looking forward to playing with everybody.Thank you.

https://twitter.com/GOOD_NEMO/status/602505572433334272
https://twitter.com/GOOD_NEMO/status/602505595564916736

I wonder how far he can make it with Rolento. Has he ever joined SF4 at Evo?

ShinMaruku

You can blame the casuals all you want for not wanting to learn a game. That is not going to make them change.
The idea is to make better, more fun tutorials so that casuals can find out what it is about fg's that is fun and make fg's more popular.
This is not about making people that already like competitive fg's better by spoon feeding them information.
Exactly my point.

In game you can still get cussed out a lot but there are still enough checks and balances in the system where A) you will get matched up more appropriately to your skill level and B) there are report/mute functionality for abuse. It's not like it was in the DOTA 1 days.

The main difference though is that there are WWWWAAAYYYY more resources to learn the game than any fighter.

I want to learn how to play Razor. I start up my game and I have IN GAME guides that are rated by other users that I can over lay on to my game so I can access it while I play. The guide over lays highlights which skills you should be maxing at which level and which item you should be purchasing. There's also written text in the guide telling you how to lane, playstyle of the hero etc.

Also in the game I can go look at replays of Very Skill level games that have Razor in them. I can fast forward replay, look from perspective of the Razor player or the enemy's perspective along with like a hundred other variables you can tinker with to analyze a single game.

There are video guides linked to the character in the game's character Library as well although they are brief.

And that' just some of the stuff in-game... on the internet there's way more stuff. Far more in depth stat break down of individual character match ups, win rate %, usage %, their changes in meta popularity, their changelist for the entirety of their existence in chronological order, various stats info about the character (basic attack time, attack range, AOE markers). The character has numerous guides online both in text format and in video format.

Within the game I can also search for Coaches to help me learn the game. They can spectate me while I play and point out plays. I haven't done this myself but it is functional from what I am told. This is best done with someone on your friend's list though.

But even with all this stuff... the game has main character experience bar and randomized item drops that make you keep playing the game beyond just getting better. You can work towards acquiring rare in game cosmetics to sell to others on the Steam market. I myself have made like $80 playing the game, selling my cosmetics items that I get from playing the game.

This is why this particular game keeps growing in numbers whereas every fighting game not named Smash Melee keeps dwindling in numbers. There is a world of a difference in terms of in game infrastructure.

Well stated. While MOBAs do have a shit hole community, they have a much more robust training pipleline for new players. Also most importantly is a great pool of players that people will have more people their skill level so as they rank up it's a more steady climb where there is less information overload. Then after people are intrested more guides are up there for people to read and a proper mentor system. That all adds up to the fact most people can overlook the bitching from people in games because they are enjoying their times.

Id definitely agree with Shin on this one. Shooing away those that need that little extra push to get better or get that inner drive to try and elevate their level is exactly why the FGC has the rep it has now. It's exactly why we're still at the point where fighting games, out of all other competitive genres, are the absolute worst at training, developing, and keeping new players. That attitude has to go away tbh.
The shooing people who need to extra push is exactly where the games will be at the levels it is. You can't have that attitude and expect more people to come in. Also it is the worst at developing and retaining new people because most of the top are not the best to train people and the culture just does not foster people to actually make great guides. It's why I said a discussion and help from people who have an outside view would help make better guides.

If you had played Blackule in Smash, you would know why he sticks to Street Fighter...which I have not played him in, I now realize. No shame in sticking to the fighter you like the most. I haven't touched Xrd in a month because Smash is so much better and deeper.

Kimosabae

Banned
Outside Momochi, Daigo's the only player I feel like I'm actually learning new things about FGs whenever I watch him play. That set was a dream.

Top Bottom