• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 20-26 | MRN died so Guilty Gear could live!

Thanks for sharing Keits. I can't imagine the frustrations you have to deal with when you organize an FGC event.
All because I asked innocently why people don't like Fanatiq. I had no idea. I hope friendships can be restored and Fanatiq can make it up to Keits and others he treated poorly.

Time for the Grey Hound warrior to rise once again.

1aVLQ3U.gif

I do like it when A-cho has a new puyo video up every so often but I feel like I need someone to explain to me what's going on.

So the tournament format you have is FT10?
FT10 with double elimination. Puyo sets are super long cause each match can end super quickly; I've seen exhibition matches that are FT100 before. I didn't do commentary this week cause my throat was busy getting destroyed by seasonal weather patterns. Come stream monster it up next month so we don't feel lonely and I can explain direct questions.

Joule

FT10 with double elimination. Puyo sets are super long cause each match can end super quickly; I've seen exhibition matches that are FT100 before. I didn't do commentary this week cause my throat was busy getting destroyed by seasonal weather patterns. Come stream monster it up next month so we don't feel lonely and I can explain direct questions.

I'll check it out then. When's the next one?

seriously, the GAF thread doesn't even say where it's streaming. I have the 360 app open and it's realplayer bad.

Try twitch.tv/giantbomb

I'll check it out then. When's the next one?
Usually happen mid-late each month. I link to them when they start in the FGW threads; you can also follow that channel or @rockraining which I got linked to the Twitch account.

somebody link me a text play by play of the Xbox thing since I'm at work and everything's blocked

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Not enough words to express how unimpressive that was. So basically it's going to be another extension of the 360.

El Sloth

Banned
http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-is-not-always-online-but-seems-to-block-used-509077987

But games will be tied to an Xbox Live account, Wired reveals—or else you'd just be able to pass games around to everyone you know. And if you want to link a game to a second account, you'll have to pay a fee:

What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner.

Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.

But what if a second person simply wanted to put the disc in and play the game without installing – and without paying extra? In other words, what happens to our traditional concept of a “used game”? This is a question for which Microsoft did not yet have an answer, and is surely something that game buyers (as well as renters and lenders) will want to know.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/xbox-one-analysis/

RIP xbox at fighting game tournaments

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
XBOX, FANTASY
...XBOX, FANTASY
...XBOX FANTASY

WHY WON'T IT SHOW THE GAEMS

BibleThump

*closes SFA4 thread in progress*

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
PS4 has better specs and so far appears to have the better variety of games. The controller also seems better and it has a feature that is actually useful with the whole being able to leave a game at any time and then come back to resume it.

And I told you about registering the games on Live Enzo. Looks like they are going to milk the consumers from every possible angle they can with all these miniscule features and bullshit that distracts from the one thing that matters the most.

i'm surprised people are complaining about no backwards compatibility. i thought that was a given going in to this next gen.

nintendo doesn't count

I don't see what's the problem here. You still need to have a copy of the game for each station you have this current gen. Not gonna change for the next.

The problem is that each system may be tied to one game disc. Meaning you can't move disc around or have someone else bring their disc for you to use during casuals or tournaments. This is a very big deal unless you can afford to supply all your own consoles and games for tournaments.

I don't know where you are Dahbomb, but I felt Wollan and Kittonwy's presence with me. Where ever they are, I know they must be smiling right now.

Beckx

PS4 has better specs and so far appears to have the better variety of games. The controller also seems better and it has a feature that is actually useful with the whole being able to leave a game at any time and then come back to resume it.

Yeah, very important to me that they promoting an ecosystem for independent devs to develop & sell on the system. The difference in tone between the two conferences was stark. One brought up an indie dev to show his game, the other showed a locker room chat about football.

Dahbomb

The Forza trailer was hype, I know Enzo wet himself over that. The console and controller look nice (hey at least they revealed it).

Everything else meh. Did they announce price? I had to get back to work. Anti used game tech means I am going PS4 next gen most likely.

Kioshen

They have nearly the same specs ... only difference I can see is GDDR5 vs DDR3. Don't think the fillrate is going to be that much different because of it. I don't like the new controller either.

El Sloth

Banned
The console and controller look nice (hey at least they revealed it).
Not to be snarky, but what did you like about the console? I think it looks like one of the old bulky VCRs my dad used to have. Right color scheme and everything. Just not something I'd like to have around my living room.

The OS stuff looked cool though.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
They have nearly the same specs ... only difference I can see is GDDR5 vs DDR3. Don't think the fillrate is going to be that much different because of it. I don't like the new controller either.

PS4 has a GPU that is twice as fast.

Kioshen

You'll need a different account at each station I'd imagine.

Sure but it's already that way.

The problem is that each system may be tied to one game disc. Meaning you can't move disc around or have someone else bring their disc for you to use during casuals or tournaments. This is a very big deal unless you can afford to supply all your own consoles and games for tournaments.

The game is not tied to the system. It's tied to the live account that's logged in. Console fail ? Log in the now spare account on the new system done.

Dahbomb

I guess I liked that they revealed it. Or maybe it looked nice in the trailer.

Controller is a definite improvement over the previous 360 controller, just look at the D pad. Then again, we aren't going to be playing fighting games on it... lolololol

Yea Enzo... DEFEND THAT FUCKING SHIT! "Bbbbut the developers need it so they don't get layed off, rising game costs etc".

alstein

I don't see what's the problem here. You still need to have a copy of the game for each station you have this current gen. Not gonna change for the next.

You'll need to own every game you want to play at that tourney. Will make it hard to run mutliple games if some games aren't popular.

Beckx

You'll need to own every game you want to play at that tourney. Will make it hard to run mutliple games if some games aren't popular.

Though Jebailey had a good point that if it's as easy as just installing the disc and paying the equivalent of an online pass fee, TOs come out on top b/c they are only paying $10 a copy.

I somehow doubt it works like that, though. Too big a loophole. I wonder if it deauths the old game when the new one is authorized. Who knows, right now it's just that Wired article.

Kioshen

PS4 has a GPU that is twice as fast.

Where did you read that (honest question no snark here)? According to Wired's "exclusive" article "it's a custom SOC (system on a chip) module made by AMD contains the CPU/GPU chip". Sounds a lot like the PS4 to me.

From what I understand as long as the "owner" live account is logged all's good. I might be reading it wrong. I still think it's stupid bullshit to wade through but I don't think Xbox One is doomed as a possible tournament platform.

Though Jebailey had a good point that if it's as easy as just installing the disc and paying the equivalent of an online pass fee, TOs come out on top b/c they are only paying $10 a copy.

I somehow doubt it works like that, though. Too big a loophole. I wonder if it deauths the old game when the new one is authorized. Who knows, right now it's just that Wired article.

I doubt Microsoft is going to let you re-buy the game just for 10$. They'll probably do a variable pricing because why the hell not !?

Dahbomb

Quantic Dream was nice too but not my cup of tea. And here we go, the doom and gloom threads have started on GAF.

LMAO @ scumbag EA getting in bed with M$ due to no used game tech. So fucking typical.

Tik-Tok

I'm inclined to believe that anyone who doesn't feel like this would negatively impact a fighting game tournament has never been to one. Or at the very least has 0 knowledge of the logistics of running one.

Oh well.... all in for ps4 for FGC next gen guys?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
And another thing is that it has three operating systems using up 3GBs of Ram, so in essence for actual game development, the PS4 has access to more ram.

The Forza trailer was hype, I know Enzo wet himself over that. The console and controller look nice (hey at least they revealed it).

Everything else meh. Did they announce price? I had to get back to work. Anti used game tech means I am going PS4 next gen most likely.
No price announcement. I can't believe anyone thinks the console looks nice. My first impression is that it looked like a goddamn stylized briefcase. I think we recently had a "best looking console" thread here on GAF, and this easily wins as the worst looking major console to-date. I even think the XBox 360 and Slim look cool, so no bias here.

i'm surprised people are complaining about no backwards compatibility. i thought that was a given going in to this next gen.

nintendo doesn't count
Nintendo should count. The Wii U being BC let me subsidize my Wii U purchase by $80.

Controller is a definite improvement over the previous 360 controller, just look at the D pad. Then again, we aren't going to be playing fighting games on it... lolololol
The improved d-pad was definitely noticeable, but maybe the only good thing out of the entire conference. You KNOW that the new Kinect system will not be accurate. The presentation was just as staged as the applause:
https://twitter.com/AdamSessler/status/336901672662077443

There's no way that I won't be repeating my commands to the Xbox One 3-4 times before it figures out what the hell I want it to do. I also doubt how fast it will do all that stuff, because the system's response times to the commands differed with each attempt. Like someone was pushing a button behind the scenes.

Sony should do the smart thing and price its system $100 less than the Xbox One, no matter how big of a hit that costs them. It would completely drown the system out of the market aside from devoted fanboys.

Beckx

I'm inclined to believe that anyone who doesn't feel like this would negatively impact a fighting game tournament has never been to one. Or at the very least has 0 knowledge of the logistics of running one.

Oh well.... all in for ps4 for FGC next gen guys?

I thought it was confirmed that PS4 had tech to allow publishers to do the same thing, but it's not a mandatory part of every game?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Where did you read that (honest question no snark here)? According to Wired's "exclusive" article "it's a custom SOC (system on a chip) module made by AMD contains the CPU/GPU chip". Sounds a lot like the PS4 to me.

From what I understand as long as the "owner" live account is logged all's good. I might be reading it wrong. I still think it's stupid bullshit to wade through but I don't think Xbox One is doomed as a possible tournament platform.

Because the specs are the same as the leaked documents and everything was already mentioned as such. You can enter some of these threads here on GAF saying that.

Horseress

When the most talked about thing about the conference is a DOG, you...didn't had a great one

Also, FChamp playing CoD: Ghosts confirmed

Tik-Tok

I thought it was confirmed that PS4 had tech to allow publishers to do the same thing, but it's not a mandatory part of every game?

And you'd have the believe that any publisher who had interest in their game being picked up by the FGC would just to not enable that in order to facilitate ease of use for tournaments.

Top Bottom