• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Nomura Confirms Combat is Action Based

Not shocked at all. Gamers and reviewers of today tend to look down upon turn-based combat and FFVII: RE would be panned for staying with it despite the original being turn based.

Note that I don't agree with this decision and I fully expect the gameplay of this to suffer for it.

specdot

I have no problem with this. My only question would be how are support and command materia gonna work? Are are they even going to be in the game? I needs mah quadra magic + knights of the round. And I gotta have my deathblow command
piece of junk always missed lol

Widge

And turn based systems usually are?

Yeah, has to be said that FFVII's system, when you look back on it, is a bit tired.

I just trudged through the final section of the game on the train this weekend to finish it off. Cloud 4x cut his way through everything - in fact the only thing I did was physical attack practically. Most of the game I do that thinking back, it's just cost effective. The status materia feels like a turn wasted, ethers are expensive enough to make magic something I reserve for bosses only. Just X mash through the enemies until win.

I'm looking forward to a fresh take on VII.

I want to know why anyone expected a remake directed by Nomura in the year 201X to be turn-based, or why anyone expects big budget Final Fantasy games to be turn-based.
Because the original game is turn based? Because this is called FF7 Remake which can imply just updating the presentation? I don't think it's hard to see how some came to the conclusion that combat would mirror the original. I'm not going to throw a fit just yet but this was not some crazy idea to have.

Widge

I... don't remember tank controls in the versions I played (PSX, PC, both original and Steam, PS4 briefly) so this is news to me!

Yeah, it's 8 directions of movement!

FFVIII was novel in being able to take advantage of the dualshock analogues.

Fbh

Well I would have preferred turn based.

But if they to action it's good that it's going full action.
Way better than those games that try to combine both styles and end with a result that's not as good as either option.

At least the combat will turn out enjoyable, because I can't trust Nomura with anything else.

Exentryk

Persona is one game, and doesn't have the production values of a final Fantasy, there's nothing like what final Fantasy was. Ffvii remake could've at least been that

sx6Alze.jpg

Console games aiming for global mainstream success have all been action-based as of late and will continue to be going forward.

Ok. I don't see why that makes Turn-based an antiquated design. Loads of turn-based games do extremely well. FFXV was horrible and if that's what modern global mainstream games are then count me out.

World Of Final Fantasy is one of my favourite FF games and it's turn based. but hey, whatever.

just hope it's nt like ff15 combat.

and i agree to some extent some action combat games are boring. i doubt this will though.

i've been playing the original FF7 (PS4 ASS PORT) recently and it's still super fun.

I... don't remember tank controls in the versions I played (PSX, PC, both original and Steam, PS4 briefly) so this is news to me!
It might just be that I didn't game much during the PS1/N64 era. It's really weird playing without analog sticks and holding a button to run. Characters are clunky in my opinion but it's still an excellent game. I'm having fun but get stuck a lot because I don't know how to progress, haha!

There is no tank controls.

If you made a teen who had never played FF7 before spend an hour with it they'd tell you it has tank controls.

I understand why they're doing it, but it's still annoying.

I have yet to play a party-based action RPG that had fun combat, with party members that did what they were supposed to do, not use crucial items because the lower one wasn't available anymore (no hi-potions in the inventory? LETS USE MEGA POTION!), did not stand in my way and did not need babysitting in any shape or form. It sucks and is not fun.

I want to know why anyone expected a remake directed by Nomura in the year 201X to be turn-based, or why anyone expects big budget Final Fantasy games to be turn-based.

It was a hope because ffvii is a turn based game. A turn based game that sold 10 million copies. It's not like turn based ff struggles to sell. Ff13 might've been 10 years ago but it sold over 6million. But I was hoping with a remake of ffvii they'd care enough about the game and its fans to maintain the genre. FFXVI is already going to be action, forcing that genre upon a remake is disappointing on a level I've never felt about a game

Falk

that puzzling face
that's a tactics game, completely different

He said 'console games'

I say it's fair game.

pls don't mention XCOM 2 PC exclusivity for a spell

edit:
It's not. I think they are misunderstanding what tank control is or something. As in I don't think FFVII supports analog.

Yeah, it's 8 directions of movement!

FFVIII was novel in being able to take advantage of the dualshock analogues.

Wait, I think he's referring to the controls sometimes being rotated around to match areas/POV? Because yeah I think JRPGs with tank controls would be helluva weird.

Kyoufu

Ok. I don't see why that makes Turn-based an antiquated design. Loads of turn-based games do extremely well. FFXV was horrible and if that's what modern global mainstream games are then count me out.

I don't think it's antiquated design but I'm only one person and the people who make these decisions evidently disagree.

I also don't think we should judge FFVII Remake's combat based on what we got in FFXV. Different development team.

Also, has anyone just accepted the fact that action-based FFVII is what Nomura, the director of the game, wants? Was Advent Children not enough of a sign that he envisions FFVII to be action-based?

Dark_castle

While I personally would have preferred SE to keep the ATB combat in the remake, with enhancements and speed seen in X-2, full fledged action is cool too. Nomura knows his stuff from the excellent combat of KH2FM, so FFVIIR with that+character switching should be plenty of fun.

aaron-paul-boo-bitch.gif

I'd love to see FFXVI revert back to a turn-based system, but I doubt it. Knowing how tone-deaf Square Enix can be, they'll probably make another go of setting it in an open world again to add salt to the wound.

I don't think it's antiquated design but I'm only one person and the people who make these decisions evidently disagree.

I also don't think we should judge FFVII Remake's combat based on what we got in FFXV. Different development team.

Also, has anyone just accepted the fact that action-based FFVII is what Nomura, the director of the game, wants? Was Advent Children not enough of a sign that he envisions FFVII to be action-based?

Nomura can do whatever he wants. Doesn't mean I have to like it. If it's good then great but so far FF action combat has been poor so I'm being cautious about it until I see more. I would have preferred an ATB system.

Tank controls just means clunky and unweilding...

It definitely does not.

Kyoufu

Nomura can do whatever he wants. Doesn't mean I have to like it. If it's good then great but so far FF action combat has been poor so I'm being cautious about it until I see more. I would have preferred an ATB system.

Personally, I'd prefer an action-based battle system done well. If I want the turn-based experience, well, I've had 20 years to play the original.

I'm an advocate for trying new things. I think as a fan of an old game I'd feel disappointed if the remake was just the same thing but with prettier graphics.

ethomaz

Banned
I just hope main Dragon Quest games start to sell more in west (SE localize the dam games).

FF is probably dead for me for while.

Not shocked at all. Gamers and reviewers of today tend to look down upon turn-based combat and FFVII: RE would be panned for staying with it despite the original being turn based.

Bravely default has a metacritic of 85, while FFXV is 81 on PS4 and 84 on xbone.
I don't think this is automatically true.

Personally, I'd prefer an action-based battle system done well. If I want the turn-based experience, well, I've had 20 years to play the original.

I'm an advocate for trying new things. I think as a fan of an old game I'd feel disappointed if the remake was just the same thing but with prettier graphics.

I'd prefer taking the REmake approach. It's basically the perfect remake.

Ok everybody so I just looked up the definition of tank controls and it says:

Turning is controlled using the left and right directions and the down direction moves the character backwards. Tank controls are often found alongside fixed CCTV style camera angles in early 3D third-person games on the PlayStation, Sega Saturn and PC when developers were still trying to find ways to control 3D games.

This is according to giant bomb. I was wrong in using that term to describe the controls because I've always assumed it means clunky or unwieldy. What I'm trying to say is that as a first time player it seems to be awkward to control. I can only use the dpad on the version I'm playing (PSP classic via PSTV) and it just feels extremely dated (well duh).

Sarek

So the combat will be completely different and they've already said that they are making story changes as well. Some remake this is.

Top Bottom