• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII: Then, Now and To the Future (Long LTTP, Spoilers)

TrueBlue

--

*WARNING: THIS THREAD CONTAINS UNMARKED SPOILERS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Seriously.

Okay, good.

--

A couple of weeks ago I made a thread asking Gaffers for their opinions on whether Final Fantasy VII was a good entry point for the series for newcomers such as myself. Naturally there were a lot of different answers, and I was intrigued to see just how many mainline entries were recommended to me. Regardless, I thought I would take a shot on the PS4 remaster of FF7.

That was a couple of weeks ago. Only a few hours ago I defeated the final boss and finished the main story. With that in mind, I thought I would make a topic discussing my thoughts on what is one of the most popular games of all time.

At first, I thought I would just do a regular LTTP and leave my impressions. Thinking about it more however, I realised that finishing the game today ended a journey that started years ago before really springing to life with E3 2015.

I therefore wanna do something a little different to the normal LTTP, and have split it into three sections:

Final Fantasy VII Then: Here is where I discuss my experiences and impressions of FF7 before I had even played it. These impressions were mostly derived from other sources as opposed to the game itself.

Final Fantasy VII Now: The most “LTTP” part of this LTTP, where I talk about the game and what I thought about it after finishing it. A key theme of this segment will be how the act of actually playing the game meshed with my impressions going in.

Final Fantasy VII To The Future: This is where I'll discuss how my post-game impressions have influenced my hopes for the future – and more specifically, the upcoming remake.

Without further ado, let's get rolling.

--

Final Fantasy VII Then

Until I played FF7, the Final Fantasy franchise in general had passed me by. Up until around 2006, Nintendo dominated my gaming life. With my entrance to gaming being the Nintendo 64, I came in just when Square-Enix had jumped ship. This meant that I was too late to appreciate any of the titles in the SNES era. While PS1 owners were exploring Midgar for the first time, I was content to instead jump around the Mushroom Kingdom and travel across Hyrule.

I also feel Nintendo were directly responsible for my lack of experience with the series in another way – I simply wasn't interested. Being raised on Super Mario 64, my gaming palette leant heavily towards platformers and action games. Even when I eventually did get a PS1, I was more interested in playing Crash Bandicoot than I was FF7. This disinterest wasn't just aimed squarely at Final Fantasy, with my disinterest extending to nearly all RPGs that didn't have Mario or Pikachu in them. Naturally my palette became wider the older I became, and with age grew an appreciation for JRPGs that my younger self simply didn't have.

Even with my relative ambivalence towards FF7 and the series as a whole, the game was always somewhere in the background. This was especially apparent to me after my family got its first computer in 2005. During my early travails through gaming forums and the like, FF7 was spoken with a reverence that very few games manage to inspire. I did sometimes wonder if I should see what all the fuss was about, but I never paid it much heed.

My first experience with Cloud Strife was almost a complete accident. While I didn't have a Playstation 2, I did hold a strong love for Disney. This led me to the Kingdom Hearts series, and more specifically, Kingdom Hearts II. It was watching a play-through of the game that I was first exposed to the characters of FF7.

Looking back, I think this first impression went a long way to cementing my lack of interest in playing the original game. Now there's always a chance that my memory is fuzzy considering this was nearly a decade ago, but Cloud didn't really impress me at all.

He was a bit of a miserable bastard with spiky hair and massive sword who seemed to kind of suck out all the energy of the scenes he was in. Kingdom Hearts II also served as my first exposure to Tifa, Aeris, Yuffie, Cid and Sephiroth – and I can't say any of them really grabbed me at all. Now this was a long time ago, but I remember thinking that Aeris was just kind of a generic nice girl, Yuffie was annoying, Tifa was weirdly clingy to Cloud, and Sephiroth was equally obsessed with Cloud's darkness – whatever that meant. I barely even remember Cid.

It was probably unfair, but these impressions stayed with me for a long time – I wasn't inspired in any way shape or form to learn more about FF7. So, I didn't. It didn't help that there always seemed to be jokes and criticism aimed at the FF7 cast – and more specifically, Cloud. Accusations of him being emo and whatnot. These impressions were important when starting FF7 for the first time, but more on that later.

Even with all the criticism and the like, FF7 was a constant in gaming culture – particularly through the the idea of a remake. It almost became a meme on to itself to ask for it before an E3, and it wasn't just a fad either. For the best part of a decade from 2005, hopes for a remake were parroted by the gaming community. Often it was done as a joke, but underneath there was a real thirst for the remake bubbling underneath.

Come E3 2015, and this thirst manifests itself into full blown hysteria when the remake is announced. While not personally invested at this point due to not having a PS4 and no experience with the original, the ensuing mayhem opened my eyes to something: people weren't talking about FF7 with reference to the past, nor were they using it to perpetuate industry jokes and memes. People were talking about the remake and what they wanted for the future: their hopes, their fears and their expectations as to what the remake could entail.

This was a new experience for me, having got so used to FF7 being discussed so predominantly using those barometers, seeing people actually discuss the original game in relation to the remake was a eye-opener. Would Square-Enix be able to recreate this scene faithfully? Would it make me feel like it was 1997 again? What if they lose what made this this and this about the original so good?

FF7 was once more at the forefront of the gaming community, and naturally, I was intrigued.

Much like the narration for the remake trailer noted, this was merely the beginning of a stir. Enter Nintendo, and more specifically, Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS. Before November 2015, I had decided that when I got a PS4, I would eventually play the FF7 Remake. It wasn't exactly high on my list of priorities, but I figured that would be my first experience with FF7.

Then Cloud was announced as a playable character for Smash Bros.

Cue mass freakout. Much like the Remake, Cloud in Smash Bros had almost become a meme on to itself – a thing that was dreamt of and jokingly asked for but generally considered impossible. My own personal excitement wasn't due to any investment or love for the character, it instead stemmed from just how surprising and dreamlike the announcement was. I can only imagine how amazing 2015 was for established FF7 fans.

It was Smash Bros that turned my intrigue and curiosity into a genuine desire to play FF7 for the first time, though not just because of his status as a playable character. Absolutely, I found Cloud to be an incredibly fun character to use when I first downloaded him. He felt different from the other sword users with his mobility and use of Limit Breaks, and he generally just felt good to play. Midgar was an awesome stage as well, with it being one of the few in the game to utilise stage hazards that didn't feel completely intrusive. Plus the summons looked pretty!

Aside from his merits as a playable fighter, I remember there being a lot of discussion as to his portrayal. There were many on GAF who were praising Sakurai for how he depicted Cloud based on his character render alone.

Users spoke of how the render expressed the quiet confidence and readiness that Cloud used to have, among other things. Reading those discussions made me wonder if I had been perhaps wrong in my first impressions of Cloud. True enough, after playing Smash Bros with him for a bit, I did feel that he was depicted in a way that clashed with my first impressions of him. I didn't really get a sense of angst or misery from him – just a slightly dour individual who was confident in his own abilities and ready to face the challenges him. I actually found myself rather endeared to him.

With this feeling came a suspicion that I had perhaps judged the rest of the FF7 cast too strongly on one instance of representation. This, coupled with my enjoyment of playing as Cloud in Smash Bros, made me eager to try out the game for myself.

The PSX 2015 trailer for the Remake helped things along as well, as I thought looked majestic even with all the controversies surrounding it – changes in gameplay, the decision to release the game episodically etc. Since so much of the discussion lacked personal context, I was made even more excited to play the original game and finally gain that context.

So I finally get a PS4, and after getting over some personal stuff and some encouragement from GAF in the thread I made, I finally took the plunge. I downloaded the PS4 remaster and set off on my first play-through.

So, what did I think?

--

Final Fantasy VII: Now

I really enjoyed it!

There were many ways in which the game played with or completely subverted my expectations, and the strongest way it did this was with the one element that turned me off in the first place – the characters. I feel confident in saying that the cast of FF7 is among my favourites in gaming, particularly when it comes to the main party members.

Cloud is not a whiny angsty downer in this game. Yes, he does have his moments, but they come at times where it feels natural and not just for the sake of it. The biggest example of course being his mental breakdown at the hands of Sephiroth. On the whole though, I'd describe Cloud as a serious and slightly dour character, but one who has a cocky streak and isn't immune to humor.

Hell, one of the first things Cloud does after piecing himself back together is crack a joke on the Highwind, and anyone who says “let's mosey” just before a fight for the fate of the world can't be a complete stiff. Some of his dialogue choices are hilarious as well, such as referring to Aeris as the slum drunk.

Speaking of which, Aeris is not a pure incorruptible paragon of pure pureness in this game. She is really nice, but she's also snarky, flirty, mischievous and well...fun. I simply enjoyed watching her in many of the scenes that she was in, and I'm glad this was the case. Even if I ultimately knew that she was going to die, I actually grew attached enough to her to still make it a relatively striking moment in the game. I don't think I would have felt the same way if the focus had been on her purity, as it were.

Yuffie isn't anywhere near as grating as I thought she would be either, with her having some legitimately funny lines and moments within the game. I'd even go as far as to say that I enjoyed the sidequest where she steals your Materia and the follow-up where she fights her father. It lends an element of sadness and tragedy to what she does, and I found myself liking her more as the game went on.

Tifa was probably the standout character for me, absolutely adored her. At first I was worried she would be defined mostly by her sex appeal and her devotion to the Cloud. Both of these aspects are present in the game, but I never really felt that the game pandered in terms of fanservice. Nor did I feel that her relationship with Cloud was so clingy that it would make her insufferable.

On the contrary, I find her to be very engaging character. Behind her actually quite shy and empathetic exterior lies a strong disposition which I feel helps to form the glue that keeps the party together even through its toughest times. Even when Cloud is at his lowest, she finds the strength to help him recover and set both him and herself back on the right path.

Couple that with some very amusing lines and moments in the game, and the fact that she can roll with the strongest of enemies when the situation demands it, and Tifa is just a great character for me.

The other party members – Cid, Barret, Red XIII and Vincent – are all pretty cool as well, even if they didn't strike the same chord as strongly as some of the others. On the whole, I think the party is a very compelling and likeable one. I actually regret leaving Vincent in his coffin until relatively late in the game. I would like to have seen his contribution to earlier scenes. Ah well.

Cait Sith is the sole exception for me. Not that he was horrific or anything, but he kinda felt superfluous to the plot, and just came out of nowhere. His heroic sacrifice only to be followed by an almost immediate resurrection did nothing for me either. I dunno. He was the only character from the party that didn't do much for me.

The villains aren't bad either. President Shinra, Tseng Rufus and Heidegger are eh but Scarlet and the Turks are pretty good. The former is such an unashamed bitch that she's entertaining to watch. Reno, Elena and Rude are also entertaining, with some their banter matching that of the main party. Elena especially is consistently amusing.

And then of course there's Sephiroth. He's a good villain, with his murder of Aeris, and the Nibelheim incident being two particularly striking examples of his villainy. His theme is also kickass too, but more about more that later. I do feel that the fact he pretty much disappears from the game between the first visit to the Northern Cave and the final encounter serves to weaken his impact overall however. Hell, the revelation that it's Jenova masquerading as him for many of the scenes has the same effect. I'd also argue that his turn to darkness feels a little contrived and slightly out of nowhere. Still, he's an interesting character, and I think he makes for a fine villain.

The characters help to make the story quite entertaining as well. It has a lot of the whole “small group vs evil organisation/person/god/whatever trying to take over the world” shtick that is prevalent in a lot of JRPGs, but I still think it spins an entertaining yarn. There are some well done twists as well. Of course, Aeris' death is basically the video game equivalent to Darth Vader being Luke's father, but the revelation that Cloud had in some respects taken on the history and experiences of another was a surprise.

One of the best things about the story is that it knows how to play it light and how to play it serious. The game has a sense of humour that never truly disappears, even at the game's darkest moments. For every Nibelheim incident, there's the climb up the Shinra HQ stairs – bonus points for Tifa calling Barret a retard, which actually made me laugh out loud. The sense of fun that the story holds is something I appreciate, and I believe actually makes the dramatic moments hit all the harder.

The story is just full of memorable moments, regardless of whether they're going for comedy or drama. The Gold Saucer date and the play, Dyne's suicide, the Nibelheim incident, the flashback to Zack's death, Tifa and Cloud in the Lifestream, the Wall Market disguise scene...there's a lot of great stuff in there, and that's just off the top of my head.

One thing I also really liked was how flawed the main party was: Cloud taking on someone else's memories to run away from his problems. Barrett wearing on a mask of nobility to hide what is plainly a quest for revenge. Tifa's loyalty to Cloud preventing her from confronting him about his memories and making her doubt her own. There's more for the others as well. By the game's end, I felt the majority of characters had all developed significantly past their introductions, and were on the whole very well rounded.

One of my favourite scenes is near the end in the Highwind, where Cloud basically admits that he's fighting Sephiroth mainly to settle the score, with the safety of the Planet being a nice perk. He then encourages the others to find similar reasons to fight, which they all manage to find. To see a party actually acknowledge their ultimately selfish reasons for doing something incredibly selfless was quite refreshing for me.

The story isn't perfect, obviously. There are times where the narrative kinda stalls for exposition, or moments that feel more like filler than anything else. The quest for the Huge Materia is a notable example. Unless I'm missing something, I didn't feel as if that segment was all that relevant to the main narrative as a whole. Also like I mentioned with Sephiroth's turn, I do think there are a couple of leaps in logic that undermine some scenes. The ending scene as well feels a little rushed, and doesn't provide much in the way of closure for the characters, aside from maybe Red XIII.

Overall though, I feel the game tells a very entertaining story, even it is a tad tropey at yimes. That in itself isn't the game's fault however, and more just a by-product of the years that have since passed.

I've spoken so much about the characters and the story, that I haven't even mentioned the gameplay. I was initially worried that the gameplay might feel ancient when compared to its more modern successors, but I think the battle system has aged pretty well. This was my first experience with ATB, and I enjoyed it. I think in general I'm more inclined to an “active” battle system as opposed to a traditional turn-based one, with Mario & Luigi and Xenoblade coming to mind.

I think ATB strikes a nice balance between the traditional turn based combat and the more proactive combat that other JRPGs tend to use. I like how the system allows to both go for broke in attacking the enemy, or holding back and waiting for your limit to fill before planning your next move. In my opinion the system allows for a nice amount of variance within the battles themselves, with different approaches being equally viable at different times.

It is a pretty simple system too, and I didn't have to think too hard to get my head around it. One could argue that it is a bit too simple, but I would argue that the game allows for depth if a player actively seeks it out. The Materia system is great in this regard, and you can pull off some pretty ridiculous combinations if you put the time in. Hell, watching some videos on Youtube showed me just what could be done with the system, leaving me feeling that I hadn't even scratched the surface.

Limit Breaks are cool as well, even if they are usually just variations of a single party absolutely wrecking the enemies. The use of a front and back row that favours offensive/defensive play is also appreciated.

FF7's system is one that achieves a fine balance between accessibility and depth, but I do think it can be a little too simple at times, particularly when it comes to the uniqueness of the characters themselves. I think this comes down to the Materia system, and became especially apparent to me after Aeris died. She had been my main healer up to that point. When I moved Yuffie into my party, it was a simple task of giving her all of Aeris' Materia and carrying on from there, with little in the way of consequence.

It probably helped that Yuffie had a decent aptitude for magic, but I was surprised at just how easy it was to cover for the loss of my healer. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a system that allows for flexibility and streamlining of certain things. Having relied so heavily on Cloud/Tifa/Aeris for most of the game, it could have been really frustrating to have had to start things from scratch, and the game's system should be praised for avoiding this.

However, it also meant that I didn't really feel the need to change my playstyle to accommodate the character change. I did with Yuffie what I did with Aeris – hang back and attack from the back row and use magic/summons when necessary. They almost felt interchangeable, and considering the differences between the two in terms of actual characterisation and weapons, I thought that was a shame. Alternatively, I played Tifa as a melee heavy character who soaked up a lot of hits and countered in tandem. If I had given her Materia to any of the other party members, I imagine I would have played the same way.

Cloud/Tifa/Yuffie remained my party of choice for the remainder of the game, but I feel I could have easily put in any of the others as long as I had the right Materia, with there only being slight drawbacks due to differences in natural aptitude.

Still, the differences in character weapons help to change things up somewhat, as do the various accessories and pieces of armour one can acquire. There is a lot of room for experimentation in FF7, and the game rewards you for it. I just feels at times that the game discourages that same experimentation due to the effectiveness of Materia when placed against equipment and individual character traits.

Other than battling, other elements of FF7 are decidedly mixed. Traversing the world can be frustrating at times, with Cloud seemingly intent on jumping back and forth from point to point if you so much as brush the stick in the wrong direction. The poor controls also hamper fun mini-games such as the snowboarding and motorcycling segments. The control issues are exacerbated by the pre-rendered backgrounds, as is it hard at times to figure out where Cloud is, where he needs to go next, and how he can get there.

There are also some really weird moments where the game makes the player do something that doesn't jive with the rest of the experience. Like “Press X at the right time to jump on the rope!” or “Mash the button to keep warm!”. Not only were some of these moments vaguely explained and introduced, they also never felt particularly intuitive to me, and just added unnecessary frustration.

TrueBlue

*PART 2 OF OP*

Graphically is where the game most shows its age. I'll actually contend that the models and animations within battles are actually pretty good, even today. They're outdated of course, but I don't think they looked overly ugly. The game's dynamic use of the camera to highlight important moments in battle was also something I appreciated. It gave the simple of act of casting a spell a bit of punch, for lack of a better term. The same cannot be said for the game when it comes to the overworld, with it's weirdly blocky/chibi look for the characters. It just never looks particularly good, and clashes strongly with the beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds.

If the game shows it ages graphically, it most certainly does not with regards to the game's soundtrack. Outside of the main theme for Super Smash Bros Brawl, this was my first true exposure to Nobou Uematsu – and what an exposure! The soundtrack for this game is magnificent. I was already a fan through the use of Let the Battles Begin and Fight On in Smash Bros Wii U, but there are just so many excellent pieces. Bombing Mission, Aeris' Theme, One-WInged Angel, Main Theme, Tifa's Theme, Anxious Heart...just brilliant, and I'm not even scratching the surface.

Even moving away from the big set-piece themes, I just feel that the music complements each facet of the game perfectly. It both punctuates the emotion in key scenes while providing a pleasant backdrop for gameplay. It's a wonderful effort, simple at that.

Having heard the soundtrack properly, it's a damn travesty that Smash Bros only has two songs and no remixes. Maybe next time Sakurai!

--

Overall, I am very glad to have played FF7. It either subverted or exceeded many of my expectations going in, and it continued to surprise and delight me as I progressed. The battle system is fun, the characters are likeable and well-rounded, the story is mostly well told and the music is majestic. It has it flaws undoubtedly – some bad controls, graphics and weak story moments hamper the overall experience. However, for game that is supposed to be 20 years old in 2017, I was surprised by how little that fact actually occurred to me.

Some of the credit for this undoubtedly belongs to the remaster effort. Aside from the obvious graphical upgrades and whatnot, I did like the use of “cheat codes” that gave the game a more modern feel. Being able to play the game at 3x speed was a godsend when going through some of the moments – I can only imagine what it would have been like to travel between continents on the cargo ship at normal speed repeatedly – as well as some of the awkward transitions in story scenes.

Being able to turn off enemy encounters is great as well. I'm not really into the grinding thing, and even though I do enjoy the battle system, sometimes I just want to actually progress with what I'm doing as opposed to stopping every ten steps.

I do think the option should have been given to turn off the God Mode cheat, or at least map it to a different button. Given with how the cheat codes are activated using the sticks, there were times where I would accidentally make myself invincible when I actually wanted to speed things up and whatnot.

That's not to say that the cheat is without merit. I liked how it allowed instant access to new Limit Breaks as opposed to grinding the gauge back up to view them. It was also useful early on when I had to replay a sequence of bosses at Shinra HQ – having already cleared the first sequence, I used the cheat code to fly through that segment before turning it off the for the next one. I imagine those who are interested solely in the story will find this cheat useful.

But even disregarding the cheats, I still think the game feels relatively good even today. The things the game does well are usually done to such a quality that it trumps any feeling of it being outdated.

This brings me to my next point: is the game overrated? Being one of the most popular games ever, it's an inevitable question, and I don't think the answer is so easy as “yes” or “no”.

As I noted before, reading FF7 discussions made it clear how it truly resonated with people back when it first released. For many, it was their first experience with the genre and Final Fantasy as a whole. The game could also be argued to be the first of its ilk that received the kind of marketing push that it did. The game grabbed many people in a way that they hadn't been grabbed before, and thus the game holds a special place in their hearts and memories. Super Mario 64 would probably the game that did this for me, and I imagine FF7 occupies the same sphere in that regard.

The funny thing is, booting up FF7 for the first time, my situation at the surface level wasn't too dissimilar. I count this as my first true Final Fantasy game, and my experience with JRPGs isn't so vast that I consider myself a veteran. Of course, the fact that I have experience in the first place is a by-product of the 20 years that have passed since FF7's released, and that probably wasn't the case for many who picked it up when it first released.

As I've mentioned before, I really enjoyed my time with the game. But even with the similarities in regards to my playing situation, the near two decades that have passed since the original release make it impossible for me to feel the same. My outlook towards the game will also be one that subconsciously compares it to the experiences and standards that I have become acclimatised to in those 20 years. On the whole, I think the game stands up very well.

But if I feel this way about the game now, I can only imagine the impact it had on people first playing it back in 1997. It must have been an incredible experience, and I don't blame anyone who played it back then to proclaim the game to be a masterpiece or the like.

With all this mind, I think the question of whether or not it is overrated becomes very difficult to answer, perhaps near impossible. In many ways, FF7 benefits from arriving when it did and inspiring the imaginations of the many millions who played it. At the same time, I think to merely label it as an outdated relic that was amazing “at the time” would be a disservice. I still think that it has a lot to offer, even with improvements being made in nearly every category in the years since.

It didn't have the same effect on me that it had on others, to be sure. But I would definitely argue the case for FF7 being a fantastic game, regardless of when or where you played it.

--

Final Fantasy VII: To the Future

The main reason I spent so long discussing my early impressions of FF7 and how the game itself actually subverted those expectations is something that I feel is relevant when discussing the future.

My pre-playthrough expectations of FF7 were a direct result of Square Enix, particularly when it came to the characterisation of some of the main cast. If we take Cloud as the main example, I don't think I am alone in this either. The notion that Cloud is an angst-ridden miser is one that seems to dominate a lot of the discourse when it comes to the character – people assume he's an emo, crack jokes because he's an emo etc. I fell under the first category.

This is perpetuated by Square-Enix and how they portray the character. Kingdom Hearts definitely plays up the angst from what I remember (though again, that might be my memory talking), and does away with the humor/moments of levity that he possesses. Their different portrayal of Cloud was something that was discussed soon after his announcement in Smash Bros – namely through this image:

I think it's a little disheartening that Square-Enix are portraying the character in such a way, even when it doesn't really ring true with FF7 itself – and the same goes for the other characters I mentioned. I feel these portrayals are giving the wrong impression as to what FF7 is really like in terms of tone and content, and if that puts people off actually playing the game, I think that's a shame.

What's more disheartening however, is that is shows a lack of understanding from Square-Enix when it comes to their own characters. I'm actually very reluctant to watch Advent Children for this reason, as I have seen harangue the film for its characterisation and tone. By the same token, the expanded universe of FF7 is also something I'm very reluctant to jump into.

This in turn brings me to the remake. Looking towards it, I almost feel like I've come full circle: I had a set of impressions and expectations going into the original game, many of which were then subverted by the act of actually playing it. Now my impressions of the original game have changed, and so too have my expectations going into the remake.

As I noted before, FF7 doesn't hold the same place in my heart as it does for a lot of people. Regardless, I feel a lot of my personal hopes for the remake align with theirs:

- I want to see the great moments recreated faithfully and tastefully with the new production values
- I want the remake to retain the sense of fun and levity that the original game had.
- I want the characterisation to be reminiscent of the original game.

There are many others, but this post is already too long to list them all. When it comes to this hopes specifically however, I feel they carry the most weight due to how Square Enix has expressed the world of FF7 and its characters. I'm afraid that the game will take on the different tone and characterisation that Square-Enix themselves have encouraged, and in doing so, will lose a lot of what I enjoyed when playing through the original. That the Wall Market scenes have been confirmed to be in is a good start. Hopefully they can follow through with the rest of the experience.

There are of course other things to talk about when regarding the remake – the new battle system for instance. Having just come off ATB, I'm not overly fussed to see them trying something else for this. I would like it to retain some of the feel however, and I don't think a judgement can be made on way or another until we see more.

As for the episodic stuff, I'm alright with it. I suspect they will release the game in three parts, or “discs”, if only to ape the original release. Considering how gorgeous Midgar looks, if they were to apply the same effort to all the different locations, characters, enemies and the overworld, it would take a gargantuan effort. I look forward to seeing it all pan out....I just hope the pricing is fair.

There's a lot of questions to be answered, and possibly seeing a couple of them answered at E3 is a cause for excitement.

Which, considering all the Nintendo news in the last couple of days, is probably a good thing for me.

--

So yeah, I think I'll end this little LTTP here. Thank you to anyone who took the time to read it. I did try and include as little chaff as possible, but I probably failed in that regard. I doubt I'm saying anything particularly special either, but I wanted to document my personal journey with regards to the game, as I feel it might hold some relevance for the games to come.

Please feel free to give your own thoughts. Did your impressions of FF7 match mine? Was I wrong in judging the game in the way I did before I played it? Is it overrated? What do you think of the remake? Is my positivity based on a honeymoon feeling? Am I completely off base?

What say you GAF?

--

Man, I hope this thread came out okay. It took me hours!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
My first real RPG and still in my top three games of all time. The relatively simplistic gameplay didn't really stand the test of time, nor did the game's lego-man graphics, but damn if it isn't still a fantastic overall package. Remake will be absolutely glorious.

Nice read, OP.

I love this game, but my favorite moment is the first boss fight with the poor translation. It kinda adds charm to it in my opinion.

Although as a kid I gave up on the game cause I only spoke Spanish and barley knew English lol. Fond memeroies of little kid me yelling at the game over screen.

SOLDIER

The best FF protagonist (Cloud), heroine (Tifa), and villain (Sephiroth).

Prove me wro-ha ha just kidding, you can't.

Bring on another 10 years of Remakes, DLC, crossovers, CGI films and sequels.

You won't find a more iconic cast of JRPG characters.

Onemic

FFVII is amazing. I always switch between it and VIII as my favourite overall FF.(I havent gotten far enough in VI to have a real opinion on it)

Aters

A great game and a great OP.
The humor really helps with the narrative. Hope they keep it in the remake. That humor is Sakaguchi's trademark.

Please try FFIX next.

I wonder why the lego blocks are a thing, I mean FFVIII and onwards showed Squall and Zidane in regular models in the overworld, surely modelling Cloud in FFVII wasn't hard to program in.

Maybe it was part of a cancelled N64 project and saved money that way?

Aters

I wonder why the lego blocks are a thing, I mean FFVIII and onwards showed Squall and Zidane in regular models in the overworld, surely modelling Cloud in FFVII wasn't hard to program in.

I guess so. They N64 FFVI demo has the same blocks.

JTripper

I've played Disc 1 of this game so many times but never beat it, except now I'm actually playing through it and really enjoying it. I'm on the ice mountain at the start of Disc/Part 2 on the PS4 port.

I've played Disc 1 of this game so many times but never beat it, except now I'm actually playing through it and really enjoying it. I'm on the ice mountain at the start of Disc/Part 2 on the PS4 port.
Disc 1 is weird in that it's really really long comapre to 2nd disc from what I remember

TrueBlue

A great game and a great OP.
The humor really helps with the narrative. Hope they keep it in the remake. That humor is Sakaguchi's trademark.

Please try FFIX next.

Thanks! I'm hopeful when it comes to the humour, for reasons already stated in the OP. The writing was up there with some of the best Mario RPGs in that regard.

If I'm honest, FFX looks like my next foray into FF. I don't have Steam and I'm not sure I want to play a fully fledged title on mobile. The HD remaster of 10 is convenient for me.

Maybe I'll make a series of LTTPs if people like this one enough.

Yeah, it is a little strange, and I think your theory has merit.

Zebei

Our pre-play stories are pretty much the same. Turned away because of the general emo jokes and Kingdom Hearts. Started it because Smash bros.

Loved the game and was my first Final Fantasy. I was surprised how spectacularly it aged. It has its flaws, but it is still great. Great gameplay, great characters (Cloud, Tifa, Yuffie, and Cid were amazing and i'm happy Cloud is a way more intersting character than the general consensus would have me believe.), great music too.

The final Battle with Sephiroth will probably be one of my favorite moments in gaming. I assumed there was more to the game because otherwise disc 3 was just a single dungeon. I didn't even bother setting my team up for a final battle (I even had Tifa and Yuffie's ultimate weapons :( ) I take down JENOVA, and i'm waiting for the bait and switch so the chase can start again and then. . .

Of course I freaked out because I was FIGHTING SEPHIROTH. I spent the entire fight panicking thinking I was going to die. I was CERTAIN I was going to die. I pretty much went into auto pilot and watched in horror for every Super nova. Yuffie managed o get in the final blow while confused and the rest of the party dead. A great ending to a great game.

Made me go play FF8, which I just beat this week, and I intend to play the rest of the series as well.

TLDR 11/10 game. Deserves its praise.

First time through I found Cloud's journey unique and interesting and kind of profound. Is there any other video game where your character has a mental breakdown and the side players take over? What a brilliant twist for the gameplay, and a cool lead-up to the climactic ending of the game. IMO it made Cloud much more relatable to me personally especially at the time when I played it (PC when it came out) as I was a very moody teenager myself.

I still think the summons in FFVII are perfection. They belong in a museum. I must have said "Oh My God" aloud upon first seeing each one. The monster design is really good too, really varied with some incredibly strange stuff like sentient houses and all-frog battles. I think the variety of surreal cubist minimalist 3D enemies puts it over the top for me. So good.

After seeing the japanese version a week after release at a game store nearby, I got super hyped for it. Bought a PSX, got it modded and picked up the US version at launch. Thinking back, I really have lots of fond memories playing this game. Great game.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
The monster design is really good too, really varied with some incredibly strange stuff like sentient houses and all-frog battles. I think the variety of surreal cubist minimalist 3D enemies puts it over the top for me. So good.
Not sure if true but I remember reading once that outside of the MMO's, FFVII has the most baddies/monsters of any FF game. Ya really gotta stick around each area to really get a chance at seeing 'em all especially the ones in one-off locations ya can't revisit.

Zambayoshi

Thanks for the thread OP, it's a great read.

I agree with you on a lot of what you said. I didn't experience FFVII until it became available on PS Vita a few years back. I think the experience was a really good one.

For me the soundtrack is half of what makes the game what it is. The other half is the character interactions. Sephiroth/Cloud, Cloud/Tifa, Cloud/Aerith, Barrett/Tifa are all really well done.

The other for me that stand out are Vincent (possibly because I saw Advent Children before I played FFVII...lol) and Red XIII.

The game mechanics are okay. I think limit breaks are nice, as is the materia system, but nothing else really stands out for me.

The graphics are obviously nothing to write home about in this day and age, although the art direction is pretty good.

Story is okay, but like I said above, the characters really pull it from being decent to something special.

TrueBlue

I do wish I had unlocked Vincent earlier, but them the breaks.

One critique I forgot to mention was that some really important story scenes are hidden for the player to find. There are no hints or signs for the player to figure this out. The major example being the flashback to Zack's death.

I didn't even know Aeris was Gast's daughter until after I finished the game.

Turin

Banned
Really cool write up.

It's great to see a newcomer have such a positive response to it and to have misconceptions about Cloud dispelled.

TrueBlue

Really cool write up.

It's great to see a newcomer have such a positive response to it and to have misconceptions about Cloud dispelled.

Aye.

Not only about Cloud, but many of the other party members as well. I was repeatedly and pleasantly surprised while playing through Disc 1's segment with how the characters actually were.

Cloud obviously takes most of the heat due to his exposure and popularity, which is a shame because I don't think he's the only victim.

Turin

Banned
Aye.

Not only about Cloud, but many of the other party members as well. I was repeatedly and pleasantly surprised while playing through Disc 1's segment with how the characters actually were.

Cloud obviously takes most of the heat due to his exposure and popularity, which is a shame because I don't think he's the only victim.

Indeed.

Some of the original cast was fortunate enough to barely be given the time of day in the Compilation. Red XIII and Barret were barely seen as far as I can recall.

kromeo

I still think the summons in FFVII are perfection. They belong in a museum. I must have said "Oh My God" aloud upon first seeing each one.

Really could have done with an option to shorten them like in IX though, did anyone ever actually summon knights of the round more than once?

The random freak enemies are the best, like the spinning faces in the prison and that swinging thing in the mansion...

JayBabay

Really glad you enjoyed the game, especially since it's been so long. I try to explain to people that once you hear the music and read the dialogue you will look past the graphics. That stuff never bothers me but it does turn off a lot of people. This game, though, with its grim theme and atmospheric music just really was leaps and bounds ahead of everything at the time.

Final Fantasy VI is also really great and you need to play that for the same reasons. Just watching the intro play out and hearing the music will make you're jaw drop :p

Very good write-up. I am currently replaying the game after 15 years (just beat Diamond WEAPON) on PC with some mods, and it remains fresh to this day.

Great write-up. If you loved FF7 so much, I'd love to see your thoughts on 8 and more so 9, which in many ways is imo the most rounded entry in the series (though not without problems). That PS1 set really is a truly golden era.

TrueBlue

The 3x speed cheat was a godsend for rushing through summons after the first time using them. They were pretty awesome though!

Sephiroth's Super Nova must be the most OTT attack of the bunch haha

Edit: Since I don't have Steam and am not too keen on mobile, the PS1 era seems out of reach for now. FF10 seems the most likely next step.

Glad to see people enjoying the write-up, maybe I'll do more as I play more.

Kain

I'm slowly playing through the PS4 port and maybe it's because I've finished the game 5-6 times already but it really hasn't aged well.

Also Tifa is adorable and she's the secret main character of the game. And Final heaven is awesome.

TrueBlue

Indeed.

Some of the original cast was fortunate enough to barely be given the time of day in the Compilation. Red XIII and Barret were barely seen as far as I can recall.

It is comments like this that make me feel I made the right call in not dipping into the expanded universe.

I'm slowly playing through the PS4 port and maybe it's because I've finished the game 5-6 times already but it really hasn't aged well.

Also Tifa is adorable and she's the secret main character of the game. And Final heaven is awesome.

It's perfectly possible that my positivity comes from the novelty of actually finishing it for the first time. Still, even if the gameplay and graphics have seen great progress in the last two decades, I did feel there was a certain timelessness to the game.

And Tifa is great. Put her in Smash 5, Sakurai!

EDIT: What the hell was with that slap fight with Scarlet though? Just sock her one! It was made worse by my clumsy timing - Tifa actually lost!

saturnine

Great OP, thanks for your effort!

I still remember my first time with FF7. I was on vacation with my parents, we were staying at their friends house, and their kid had a playstation with the game.

I was blown away, not so much by the technical side of the game, but by the sheer cinematography they managed to pull off. (That opening act, with the cutscene and segue to gameplay) I felt the same way later with the openings of FFVI and IX. These games drew me in their world from the very beginning.

I grew really sour on the game with the way SE treated its legacy. Spinoffs that were very much lacking in spirit, flanderizing the characters to pander to a specific subset of the fanbase (the japanophile bishonen fawning fangirls and other katana loving edgelords).

Thankfully, I came across some great commentary (like the Kim Justice Review that goes through the entirety of the game) that reignited my love for FFVII, and a recent playthrough of the PS4 remaster cemented this feeling.

My favourite scene will always be the first ride on the train, back from the bombing mission. The sheer melancholy displayed is incredible.

Kain

EDIT: What the hell was with that slap fight with Scarlet though? Just sock her one! It was made worse by my clumsy timing - Tifa actually lost!

In fact I just finished that section and it was infuriating for two reasons

- Either I suck or it's impossible to win, but Scarlet kicked my ass

- Why the hell are they having a slapfight? She is motherfucking Tifa, master martial artist, she can summon dolphins and huge explosions of awesomeness to attack and she's having a damn slapfight with Scarlet? Seriously? It could be fun naïve ol' 90s sexism or whatever, but I thought it was just bad.

KrisB

Fantastic write up!

I'm currently playing it on the PS4 at the moment and it is funny looking at the game again after all this time. I really like the x3 speed booster. Just can't believe how slow the original ran haha.

vato_loco

Very well made, OP.

I played VII when it was released and it was my very first RPG for the PS1, but not my first RPG nor my first Final Fantasy (I started with the SNES). I still think, decades of RPGs later, that this is one of the very best RPGs ever made, and easily on my top 3 games of all times. Hell, I think it's pretty much my number 1 game ever. There's just so much to like, so much done absolutely right, so many memorable moments. Sure, there are the expositions and the Cait Siths and whatnot, but that does so little to detract from what is a wonderfully fulfilling experience.

I've said what you said about emo Cloud ever since Advent Children came out. It's amazing how much they missed the mark with the character in that movie, and it makes so little sense that they'd use THAT Cloud for every other spinoff or collaboration or whatever. If there is a Heaven and I get to go there, that's the first question I'll ask the God that receives me.

Still, I'm glad you managed to finally play this game and enjoyed it so much. It's one of the classics of the genre. I argue that you don't need an RPG to be convoluted and difficult and "deep" to be a good RPG. Just look at Super Mario RPG for the SNES. It's a ridiculously awesome RPG and it has absurdly simple mechanics. They change from character to character slightly, but it's still very simple. The characters and the story and the music and the cohesion of it all makes the game as memorable as it is. Same with VII.

Now here's to Squeenix not fucking up the remake.

You can all blame Nomura for crapping on Cloud, Aeris, Vince and Seph's characterization.

The others are barely remembered as I believe they don't provide enough edgy/emo material for Nomura to play with.

This guy is a cancer within S/E. It would be better to stay in character/monster design field.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
In fact I just finished that section and it was infuriating for two reasons

- Either I suck or it's impossible to win, but Scarlet kicked my ass

- Why the hell are they having a slapfight? She is motherfucking Tifa, master martial artist, she can summon dolphins and huge explosions of awesomeness to attack and she's having a damn slapfight with Scarlet? Seriously? It could be fun naïve ol' 90s sexism or whatever, but I thought it was just bad.
It is winnable, I've done it many times. I feel evading Elena's punch is harder to do!

Why is Tifa merely slapping? Circumstances prolly. She'd just awoken from a week long coma after a very stressful series of events, an tossed into a gas chamber. Holding her breath for who knows how long, climbing then falling down off that high up part of Junon, landing on the cold hard steel of the cannon and then running across the entire length of it!

That she could stand up to that jerk Scarlet and still win shows how great she is!

TrueBlue

I do get that there were plot reasons for it, but I feel it's kinda undermined that literally seconds before we see Tifa escape the room, climb down a building and sprint on a cannon. Surely she had enough juice to throw one punch.

I kinda hope the Remake has her doing an Indiana Jones - Scarlet comes up looking for a slap fight and Tifa just socks her in the jaw, knocking her out instantly before escaping on the Highwind.

Probably a time thing, because think about it. They already had models for the entire cast done better for the battles, but what about every NPC in the game?

Imagine making ALL those citizens of Midgar, Kalm, Junon, Costa Del Sol, Gold Saucer, Cosmo Canyon, etc...

That would have been a ton of work.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I do get that there were plot reasons for it, but I feel it's kinda undermined that literally seconds before we see Tifa escape the room, climb down a building and sprint on a cannon. Surely she had enough juice to throw one punch.

I kinda hope the Remake has her doing an Indiana Jones - Scarlet comes up looking for a slap fight and Tifa just socks her in the jaw, knocking her out instantly before escaping on the Highwind.
I wouldn't mind if she did just that in the remake. That entire sequence, an others like it, was already "superhuman anime crazy" imo. Ya know, that thing people whine over Advent Children doing? Somehow they find it in their hearts to overlook similiar things in the original game itself >_>

I've enjoyed it very much last year, playing it the first time too. I expect the remake to feel very different though. Not only because of losing traditional battles and the unique cinematography of the prerendered graphics, but I also fear the story/characters might be much worse. FF7 was still cartooney (despite its grittiness), especially looking at character artwork, which was underlined by the goofy character models. Now it looks like any other J-Pop FF embarassment recently. Probably hamming up all the melodrama in the cutscenes. Still I'm hoping the general atmosphere will be somewhat kept, despite the danger of much more cheesiness and emo shlock.

TrueBlue

I wouldn't mind if she did just that in the remake. That entire sequence, an others like it, was already "superhuman anime crazy" imo. Ya know, that thing people whine over Advent Children doing? Somehow they find it in their hearts to overlook similiar things in the original game itself >_>

The only bit of Advent Children I've watched is the Cloud v Sephiroth fight, which was a little ridiculous. Other than that, I can't really can't really comment on the expanded universe.

While there are obviously superhuman efforts in FF7, I felt they were more...grounded? I know that sounds like a contradiction, but nothing really stood as so bad that my suspension of disbelief was shattered. It all seemed to follow a certain logic.

EDIT:

I've enjoyed it very much last year, playing it the first time too. I expect the remake to feel very different though. Not only because of losing traditional battles and the unique cinematography of the prerendered graphics, but I also fear the story/characters might be much worse. FF7 was still cartooney (despite its grittiness), especially looking at character artwork, which was underlined by the goofy character models. Now it looks like any other J-Pop FF embarassment recently. Probably hamming up all the melodrama in the cutscenes. Still I'm hoping the general atmosphere will be somewhat kept, despite the danger of much more cheesiness and emo shlock

It's this fear which inspired the write-up in the first place. Your fears surrounding the remake were what my impressions of the original game were before actually playing it, and those fears were borne from Square - Enix themselves. To see the remake become what I feared the original would be would be exceedingly disappointing.

Great write-up. Having beat the game recently I think they could have went into Tifa and Cloud's relationship a bit better.

I think it was explored well enough in the game, and I appreciate it the fact they didn't beat me over the head with it. I purposefully picked the dialogue choices to gain more affection from Tifa, so I got to see both the date and the more risque Highwind sequence. Plus the entire sequence in the Lifestream was dedicated to those two...

...actually, looking at how awkward that image looks due to the angle, I don't know if you're being sarcastic haha.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Great write-up. Having beat the game recently I think they could have went into Tifa and Cloud's relationship a bit better.

Maybe in the remakes.

I agree that Sephiroth was a strong villain but I didn't care for the Shinra suits.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Just a minor note: If they did change the slap fight to a one-hit ko punch, it better still be player controlled. I wanna push the button ta make that punch happen. Dun want it turned into a cutscene. FFVII's got alot of those little interactive moments in place of what could easily have been a cutscene, an I wouldn't want that changed.

The only bit of Advent Children I've watched is the Cloud v Sephiroth fight, which was a little ridiculous. Other than that, I can't really can't really comment on the expanded universe.

While there are obviously superhuman efforts in FF7, I felt they were more...grounded? I know that sounds like a contradiction, but nothing really stood as so bad that my suspension of disbelief was shattered. It all seemed to follow a certain logic.
I've only seen the movie once an it was years ago now so I dun remember it to well. Now the people always ragging on it? Thats easy to remember since they never let up. Did they even play FFVII? lol.

Coma -> Gas Chamber -> Falling how many stories all in the span of maybe 10 minutes?? Gets up an still keeps going. Its okay since she's a martial artist! Right... thats sooo totally anime ridiculousness!

An nevermind superhumans, the game also had a super dolphin! Launching Cloud wayyyy up into the sky on command like that is nutso but I love it!

TrueBlue

Just a minor note: If they did change the slap fight to a one-hit ko punch, it better still be player controlled. I wanna push the button ta make that punch happen. Dun want it turned into a cutscene. FFVII's got alot of those little interactive moments in place of what could easily have been a cutscene, an I wouldn't want that changed.

Agreed.

I've only seen the movie once an it was years ago now so I dun remember it to well. Now the people always ragging on it? Thats easy to remember since they never let up. Did they even play FFVII? lol.

Coma -> Gas Chamber -> Falling how many stories all in the span of maybe 10 minutes?? Gets up an still keeps going. Its okay since she's a martial artist! Right... thats sooo totally anime ridiculousness!

An nevermind superhumans, the game also had a super dolphin! Launching Cloud wayyyy up into the sky on command like that is nutso but I love it!

That's true I guess!

To be fair, Tifa really should have punched Scarlet after all that effort - or would that have been too ridiculous? :p

Still, it's a relatively small blemish on an otherwise great character IMO.

Zebetite

Banned
but the internet told me if you like an old game it's just your ~nostalgia~ talking! stop being so ~nostalgic~, OP, and accept the simple objective truth that Final Fantasy VII is a Bad Ga--

sorry, made myself puke. i'm glad you liked it OP and enjoyed the read.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
The slapfest moment you guys are talking about is probably not the only thing that will be cut...

1997 was almost 20 years ago.

Not to mention, the original (pre-Greatest Hits) release of FFVII on PS1 included lines like "Shit! Shit! Shit!" which were censored in all later re-releases already.

Fantomas

Wow, great thread OP! I figured I'd respond to your questions at the end, but I just wanted to say that that was a very well written look at FFVII.

Did your impressions of FF7 match mine?
I'd say so. I got the game back in '99 or '00 when I first got a PlayStation and your assumptions about how those of us likely felt playing it back then are pretty much spot on, it was magical.
Was I wrong in judging the game in the way I did before I played it?
I don't think so. I understand why people who haven't played the original game think about the characters, especially Cloud, in the way they do. You touched on it with your Kingdom Hearts analogy, and though I haven't played those games, I can say that in the rest of the FFVII universe of games and movies, he is certainly similar to the way you described him. I think it's unfortunate because Cloud in FFVII is actually a really good character, so I hope with the remake we'll see that original Cloud return.
Is it overrated?
Not in a million years. At the end of the day, as you now know, it's just a damn good game. Regardless of how someone personally feels about FFVII, I think it's almost impossible to not recognize why so many people rate it so highly, especially after they've experienced it for themselves.
What do you think of the remake?
I have high hopes, but I'm also keeping my expectations in check. I don't expect this to be a 1:1 remake, and I'm not going to cry if some of my favorite dialogue or cutscenes are altered. I'm also fine with them changing the gameplay, I think the stuff we saw in the last trailer looked great and I'm excited to see more about how they are doing the materia system.
Is my positivity based on a honeymoon feeling?
Could be, but I'd say it's probably not. I read the whole OP and you laid out your feelings about everything very well. You weren't positive on everything either, you criticized it how I think any other FFVII fan would criticize it (huge materia fetch quest, cait sith is pointless, etc.). I think you have a well-formed opinion on the game, and I'd definitely love to read another thread (if you make one) about the remake when it comes out.
Am I completely off base?
Not at all friend. :)

The slapfest moment you guys are talking about is probably not the only thing that will be cut...

1997 was almost 20 years ago.

Not to mention, the original (pre-Greatest Hits) releases of FFVII included lines like "Shit! Shit! Shit!" which were censored in later re-releases already.

The bottom part will most likely be cut but they can alter the dialog during the stairs climb.

Top Bottom