• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII: Then, Now and To the Future (Long LTTP, Spoilers)

Ruruja

Ah, forgot to post my reply.

Great write up OP, I enjoyed reading this at work earlier today!

Love seeing people play through and talk about FF7 for the first time.

Like you said, if you enjoyed it this much 20 years later, imagine how good it felt to us back in '97, amazing times.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
The bottom part will most likely be cut but they can alter the dialog during the stairs climb.

Yup, that would make sense. It was just an off hand comment during the climb. I think they'll mostly just expand on the original story...in three games. I hope they don't make any moves because of outside pressure though. Part of what made FFVII click was because of its gritty look and feel and the character's flaws.

antitrop

I can only imagine how amazing 2015 was for established FF7 fans.

It's difficult for me to describe, but it was something like... this.

Also, amazing OP. I appreciate the unique perspective. There's nothing more I like to see than someone coming in and enjoying FF7 for the first time.

It's funny how Super Smash Bros has led people to finally make the decision to play some of my favorite games. First it was Ness in the original Smash Bros bringing Earthbound out of obscurity, now Cloud finally got OP to play FF7 after years of not caring about it at all. I think that's awesome.

Newboi

I do wish I had unlocked Vincent earlier, but them the breaks.

One critique I forgot to mention was that some really important story scenes are hidden for the player to find. There are no hints or signs for the player to figure this out. The major example being the flashback to Zack's death.

I didn't even know Aeris was Gast's daughter until after I finished the game.

Speaking of missing extremely important optional story details, did you know you could talk to Sephiroth's real mother? She's in a random cave that you can only get to with a special Chocobo. I can't remember which color though lol.

Error 404

Neo Member
Great write up, OP! My favorite game of all time. :)

I'm surprised that CID and RedXIII didn't have much of an impact for you; I thought their stories were well done and really had emotion, particularly with RedXIII and his family.

antitrop

Speaking of missing extremely important optional story details, did you know you could talk to Sephiroth's real mother? She's in a random cave that you can only get to with a special Chocobo. I can't remember which color though lol.

You don't need a chocobo, you can get to it with the submarine.

I'm surprised that CID and RedXIII didn't have much of an impact for you; I thought their stories were well done and really had emotion, particularly with RedXIII and his family.
Yeah. Cid is my favorite character, besides Cloud, and his subplot is my favorite of any of the characters. I get more emotional when he finally gets to space than when Aerith dies.

Fantastic post and breakdown!! I kinda felt envy.

Also, you can't talk about key story moments on FFVII without mentioning The Great Warrior Seto and Sending a Dream Into the Universe. Remedy that asap!!

!!!!!!!

TrueBlue

It's difficult for me to describe, but it was something like... this.

Also, amazing OP. I appreciate the unique perspective. There's nothing more I like to see than someone coming in and enjoying FF7 for the first time.

It's funny how Super Smash Bros has led people to finally make the decision to play some of my favorite games. First it was Ness in the original Smash Bros bringing Earthbound out of obscurity, now Cloud finally got OP to play FF7 after years of not caring about it at all. I think that's awesome.

Heh. Looking at that link, I do wish I had a degree of investment before the remake announcement. Much like Shenmue and TLG really, the entire holy trinity didn't do much for me at the time.

And all hail Sakurai I guess. Smash actually did get me to play Earthbound too, but the long wait was mostly down to the timing of the eShop release more than anything.

It is awesome though, you're right. Another good thing is that, now when I play as Cloud in Smash, it"s not just because I find him fun. Now I actually really like the character, which I think adds something to when I play as him.

Lucrecia? Yeah I saw that, though I kinda cheated and used a guide to see where to go with the submarine.

They were well done, absolutely. It's probably more due to the fact my party was mainly Cloud/Tifa/Aeris/Yuffie, so naturally their stories resonated with me a little more. Barret, Cid and Red XIII all had great moments with impact, I just wasn't as invested in them. Preferences I guess!

OP, I don't know squat about ffs let alone ffs7 so with all due respect: is that OP written for the perspective that has played & experienced & loved ffs7? Or is it also newbie friendly?

antitrop

If the game shows it ages graphically, it most certainly does not with regards to the game's soundtrack. Outside of the main theme for Super Smash Bros Brawl, this was my first true exposure to Nobou Uematsu – and what an exposure! The soundtrack for this game is magnificent. I was already a fan through the use of Let the Battles Begin and Fight On in Smash Bros Wii U, but there are just so many excellent pieces. Bombing Mission, Aeris' Theme, One-WInged Angel, Main Theme, Tifa's Theme, Anxious Heart...just brilliant, and I'm not even scratching the surface.
My favorite track, and one that doesn't get mentioned as commonly as most, is Holding My Thoughts in My Heart.

It's the track that plays when you first enter Mt. Corel, when you're running on the minecart tracks on the way to North Corel. It's such a serene take on the Main Theme, it makes that one of my absolute favorite parts of the game to get to.

Boy, what I'd do to experience this game again for the very first time. My favorite game of all time.

This was very well written. Glad you enjoyed it :)

My favorite track, and one that doesn't get mentioned as commonly as most, is Holding My Thoughts in My Heart.

It's the track that plays when you first enter Mt. Corel, when you're running on the minecart tracks on the way to North Corel. It's such a serene take on the Main Theme, it makes that one of my absolute favorite parts of the game to get to.

Full of amazing moments and pieces of music.

The Great Warrior Seto Scene

Error 404

Neo Member

Haha, I think the difficult part here is to pick just one or two tracks because the whole soundtrack is superb and as OP mentioned fits perfectly with all the parts of the game.

TrueBlue

OP, I don't know squat about ffs let alone ffs7 so with all due respect: is that OP written for the perspective that has played & experienced & loved ffs7? Or is it also newbie friendly?

I'd say it's probably not particularly newbie friendly, if only because it spoils story elements quite frequently. I also detail a personal journey that seems to resonate with those who have also played it.

If that doesn't bother you, then I guess you could read it as a normal LTTP.

I'd say it's probably not particularly newbie friendly, if only because it spoils story elements quite frequently. I also detail a personal journey that seems to resonate with those who have also played it.

If that doesn't bother you, then I guess you could read it as a normal LTTP.
Na...ill bookmark this thread and then I'll bump it when I play ffs7r :D

antitrop

Boy, what I'd do to experience this game again for the very first time. My favorite game of all time.

This was very well written. Glad you enjoyed it :)
I remember the deaths of Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie impacting me for weeks.

I played FF7 in 1998 on the PC port (didn't have a PS1), but Aerith's death was already well past spoiled for me by then. Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie, however? Didn't see that one coming. Anyone who played FF6 before 7 probably did, though. :p

It's going to be even more painful in the Remake, with them getting even better characterization. :(

I played FF7 in 1998 on the PC port (didn't have a PS1), but Aerith's death was already well past spoiled for me by then. Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie, however? Didn't see that one coming. Anyone who played FF6 before 7 probably did, though. :p

It's going to be even more painful in the Remake, with them getting even better characterization. :(

Oh god I didn't really think about it too much but oh man it's going be so much worse.

The updated music is going to drive it home too.

TrueBlue

Full of amazing moments and pieces of music.

The Great Warrior Seto Scene

I did say I was just scratching the surface, and these posts prove it. Just great stuff all round.

Agreed on this. I figured they would just fade into minor roles but nope! Shame, I quite liked Jessie and her geeking out on the train.

Great OP.

Not sure what to think about the remake, but I'd love to see FF7 get a high quality 16-bit style demake. There's so much that's great & impressive about the core that it's a shame that it's buried behind awkward dialogue, transitional graphics, and badly balanced gameplay.

Gah, just so much about this game that I love. Words cannot even express it.

I especially love all the lore that's in this game. Professor Gast/Aeris' mother, Zack, Hojo, Vincent's time with the Turks, the list goes on.

Glad you enjoyed it, OP.

Just one bit of advice. If you do decide you want to watch Advent Children, make sure to watch the Complete version and not the original.

ST2K

So glad to see people are discovering and enjoying this game, so many years later.

Now you get to worry Square is going to ruin everything special about it in the remake with the rest of us. =P

Love your write-up OP. This is the game that is part of who I am, changed my life, and seeing you pick up on the misrepresentation of Cloud so far was refreshing coming from someone other than me!

I think the largest challenge in this remake will be understanding how to portray the facial animations in complex scenes where the gamer actually imagined the low poly character model facial response themselves as if reading a book.

PK Gaming

Too long, but definitely worth the read

You're spot on what made/makes FF7 a great game, and the general misconceptions people have about the characters legit bother me (like Aerith being the token pure girl or Cloud being a mopey loser)

Hope the remake keeps at least like 50% of the tone of the original game had

TrueBlue

Too long, but definitely worth the read

You're spot on what made/makes FF7 a great game, and the general misconceptions people have about the characters legit bother me (like Aerith being the token pure girl or Cloud being a mopey loser)

Hope the remake keeps at least like 50% of the tone of the original game had

Man, you have no idea. I cut like a thousand words off just so I didn't feel like I was completely waffling.

Instead I'm just partially waffling. :p

EDIT: Thanks for the kind words however. Along with the length, I was worried that thoughts would have little basis in fact.

Good breakdown OP. I'm happy to see you enjoyed FFVII, and honestly I would be interested to see a similar discussion for FFX as that game I think suffers from a lot of similar misconceptions and negative backlash that has accumulated over the years as has followed FFVII and it's "overhype."

Excellent write-up. I think that you held a perfectly valid viewpoint of the game prior to playing it based on any external character portrayals - which is consequently a good reason to avoid any of the 'extended universe' stuff, in my opinion.

I'm glad you dug the soundtrack so much, as I feel like it usually gets short shrift, both due to over-hype of the game and it being midi (which I feel like it's perfect as). I still listen to it all these years later.

I'm suuuuuper curious about what comes of the remake, but until then you've effectively made me want to drop another few hundred hours into the game :)

Merrymint

Great read OP, and I played it when I was ten(when it came out) and still feel the same way today. In 97' I was blown away by this game. Played for like ten hours a day just doing side stuff and learning things.

Kinda hope for the same thing in regards to the remake. In my time of seeing Cloud I was always confused as to why people strictly called him "emo." Kinda annoyed me they got not other emotion from reading that dialogue like I did. I just hope they really don't change the demeanor and take how Cloud actually was out of the remake. That would be more than disappointing.

Its nice to see someone play it who can revise their opinion of the game, and have such positive things to say.

It's not that bad. In fact it's not even bad, they barley say anything.

Kingdom Hearts 2 is the worst representation of those characters. And I'm including like, everything they appear in.

Cloud ''sidestory'' is easily one of the worst things about KH2, and I liked the FF7 cameos in KH1 quite a bit. KH2 Cloud is the representation of the emo stereotype he is portrayed as. In Advent Children he actually has a legit reason to be depressed at least. In KH2 it's like, I don't even know. Cloud has darkness in his soul and thats why he wants to fight Sephiroth for some reason I guess.

Also Mena Suvari Aeris is friggin boxed cancer.

Kingdom Hearts 2 is the worst representation of those characters. And I'm including like, everything they appear in.

Cloud ''sidestory'' is easily one of the worst things about KH2, and I liked the FF7 cameos in KH1 quite a bit. KH2 Cloud is the representation of the emo stereotype he is portrayed as. In Advent Children he actually has a legit reason to be depressed at least. In KH2 it's like, I don't even know. Cloud has darkness in his soul and thats why he wants to fight Sephiroth for some reason I guess.

Also Mena Suvari Aeris is friggin boxed cancer.

Better get prepared cause she most likely will voice Aerith again.

Top Bottom