• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

brau

Plenty of images i posted of how the game looks haha. You can compare yourself i you have tried it.

I think its a better version. Tho the low res cinematics can be a little dissapointing.

Widge

Seriously. This game performs so randomly. Monday, lightning fast. Load yesterday in same area, treacle. Fresh restart, lightning fast again.

Widge

I'll just confirm: fresh reboot before playing results in the smoothest game you could ever hope for. Nvidia 660 with up to date drivers paired with a 3550k i5.

Topical. My other half accidentally stepped on my windows key, dumping me to metro. On resuming the game, it ran like ass. I had to restart to get it back to smooth playing.

Not sure if anyone else experiences it like this.

Levyne

Banned
I'll just confirm: fresh reboot before playing results in the smoothest game you could ever hope for. Nvidia 660 with up to date drivers paired with a 3550k i5.

Topical. My other half accidentally stepped on my windows key, dumping me to metro. On resuming the game, it ran like ass. I had to restart to get it back to smooth playing.

Not sure if anyone else experiences it like this.

Nope the random performance basically plagued the whole OT while it was active.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Take pictures of the disc if you buy it yoshi.

I'd import it hard if it has some amano or nomura artwork on it
Will do! Gonna make some phone calls and see if the stores have'em in

Damerman

I posted this in another thread, but i'm enjoying this game too much not to share:

i'm replaying through FFXIII, and holy crap... did they make serious changes to the PC version? because the game is way better than i remembered... from the story to the voice overs(heck, i can even put up with vanille). I'm even warming up to the lore(probably because i read through the database). the one thing that undermines each and every one of those elements is the corridor structure of the levels. it manages to make the in party dialogue have less of an impact because they spawn all of a sudden to the place they are supposed to deliver the line of dialogue, the separate screen for combat should have been done away with ever since chrono trigger... so there is that.

The two aspects that are impacted the most by the world design choice is more clearly seen in the story and the lore...for the story, the pacing is always move from point A to point B... drop some "subtle" exposition in between some decent dialogue and characterization. The lore... if it wasn't obvious before, its essentially delivered in a "LMAO DID NOT READ" wall-o-text format...open world exploration, speaking to NPCs and investigating points of interests should be the primary source of lore expansion... not some encyclopedia hidden in menus.

The game is really really really good... way better than i remembered... but man oh man, are it's flaws glaring.

after serious consideration and play throughs of other final fantasy games... i can easily, easily say that XIII is my favorite... I don't know how much worse it gets at XIII-2 or lightning returns, but i will find out. I already own XIII-2...just waiting on lightning returns to hit steam now.

EDIT: also, does anyone else agree that Paradigm shifts should be a final fantasy staple? along with the class system? shit, if i had my way the crystarium system would be a FF staple.

Koozek

I posted this in another thread, but i'm enjoying this game too much not to share:

i'm replaying through FFXIII, and holy crap... did they make serious changes to the PC version? because the game is way better than i remembered... from the story to the voice overs(heck, i can even put up with vanille). I'm even warming up to the lore(probably because i read through the database). the one thing that undermines each and every one of those elements is the corridor structure of the levels. it manages to make the in party dialogue have less of an impact because they spawn all of a sudden to the place they are supposed to deliver the line of dialogue, the separate screen for combat should have been done away with ever since chrono trigger... so there is that.

The two aspects that are impacted the most by the world design choice is more clearly seen in the story and the lore...for the story, the pacing is always move from point A to point B... drop some "subtle" exposition in between some decent dialogue and characterization. The lore... if it wasn't obvious before, its essentially delivered in a "LMAO DID NOT READ" wall-o-text format...open world exploration, speaking to NPCs and investigating points of interests should be the primary source of lore expansion... not some encyclopedia hidden in menus.

The game is really really really good... way better than i remembered... but man oh man, are it's flaws glaring.

after serious consideration and play throughs of other final fantasy games... i can easily, easily say that XIII is my favorite... I don't know how much worse it gets at XIII-2 or lightning returns, but i will find out. I already own XIII-2...just waiting on lightning returns to hit steam now.

EDIT: also, does anyone else agree that Paradigm shifts should be a final fantasy staple? along with the class system? shit, if i had my way the crystarium system would be a FF staple.

Look forward to LR! My favorite. I'm talking about the battle system and music mostly. Story and plot are hot trash, of course, but I still loved the hell out of it and did every side quest I could in my first playthrough. Even on Normal it's probably the most difficult mainline FF, but in a good way. You have to use the system to its fullest by always choosing the right costume/equipment and skill decks (Schemata) for every encounter.
So fun.

You know, I never really actively disliked my time with the FFXIII series, even though it's everything that I don't want FF to be and does so many things wrong. I just never took them so serious and at least tried to give them a chance and enjoy them.
Sometimes there were rare, non-melodramatic moments of this very strange kind of melancholy in some scenes that I actually quite liked after I just embraced the silly, convoluted lore, e.g. the flashback part with
Noel
in FFXIII-2, or the general arc of Caius and Yeul's relationship.

Widge

FFXIII's major issue is how the story dictates the game mechanics for the first 2 - 3 hours. Going into fights with your action set being Attack and Item made for some pretty dour battles.

Once you get your skills and can start developing, it gets better. The last couple of chapters before Gran Pulse do end up being quite the slog though.

The rest of it I was generally fine with.

Paradigm's were good fun but I found they devalued levelling. The best thing about going up the power levels was rolling out your new skill at a battle. In effect, your skills remain the shifts in paradigm and auto-battle, so you never really get to appreciate your new talents.

Yeah, you can micro manage the selections but the battles are blatantly skewered against being manual.

Widge

Played FFXIII on Windows10, latest Nvidia drivers on a 660. Seems pretty stable and really fluid. None of the terrible debilitating drop into a blighttown sludge that I used to get.

If performance got your goat, could be worth diving in again.

Maybe 2 generations from now, I'll be able to enjoy 60 fps new FF games on console :D. I hope you people enjoy FFXIII on PC and LR in the future.

JimPanzer

currently downloading it, will play it for the first time tonight.

Currently I have some questions:
1. Can I play with japanese audio and english subtitles? Are japanese subtitles included?
2. Which mods I should get? I'm currently looking at gedosato with the lightning overhaul
3. What kind of performance can I expect with my machine: i5 3570k@4.4; GTX970 SLI; 16GB Ram? I definitely want 60 fps, is there still room for downsamping?

Lain

You won't have any problems downsampling. What you'll have problems with is keeping a constant 60fps because the game has a fucked up framepacing.
You can play with English subs and Japanese audio, but I have no idea if you can have Japanese subs.
Gedosato is all you need really for downsampling and stuff, but I didn't follow if other mods came up for the game.

JimPanzer

Thanks!
What about SLI? any profile recommended? Should I force something through the nvidia control panel like AF?

also when I go into gedosato and select the FFXIII profile these are my only options:

# Lines starting with "#" are ignored by GeDoSaTo and used to provide documentation

# This is a profile file for Final Fantasy XIII

## Required settings, don't change
injectPSHash 1329c9bf
maxScreenshotParallelism -1
forceRenderRes true

shouldn't there be more?

TheTux

Thanks!
What about SLI? any profile recommended? Should I force something through the nvidia control panel like AF?

also when I go into gedosato and select the FFXIII profile these are my only options:

shouldn't there be more?
You probably lost some settings when you updated GeDoSaTo. Did you create a custom file with custom settings?

JimPanzer

You probably lost some settings when you updated GeDoSaTo. Did you create a custom file with custom settings?

I just installed it for the first time after formatting my PC. I guess Durante removed the settings because the FFXIII launcher now offers the same settings which were present in previous gedosato builds?

TheTux

I just installed it for the first time after formatting my PC. I guess Durante removed the settings because the FFXIII launcher now offers the same settings which were present in previous gedosato builds?
I'll check my settings when I get home and I'll edit this post.

Edit:
So here are my settings from a long time ago:
clearRenderResolutions
#renderResolution 1366x768@60
renderResolution 1920x1080@60

## Antialiasing
#MSAASampleCount 4

## Postprocessing
enablePostprocessing true

## Anisotropic Level
#forceAnisoLevel 16

## Required settings, don't change
injectPSHash 1329c9bf
maxScreenshotParallelism -1
forceRenderRes true

So yeah if you remove the renderResolution line (since you already have it in the launcher) you'll get the default settings.

I would recommend adding "enablePostprocessing true" so that you can use SweetFX's postprocessing. Here is a Steam guide if you don't know how to do it.

Omaer

Banned
R10 said:
...they might trying porting over the FFX/X-2 remaster

Please don't let this be. The only reason I didn't pre-order the remastered version b/c I thought they were going to port it over to the PC like FF13. Waited more than a year. Then bought it the ffx remaster for ps3 just last month. It would be a pain in the ass since I originally wanted to get it for the pc.

As for the ff13 pc stuff. If they are getting all of the dlc of 13-2, along with the 2 games for under 40 bucks is kind of giving the finger to their console customers imo.

As for the LR pc port if they end up getting it also w/ all of the dlc already. For 60 or less. I'm sure many will be peeved. I know I am going on a rant now & probably seem a bit petty.

But c'mon w/e happened to the console exclusive? B/c at this point it seems like only GoW & Gran Turismo are the only PS exclusives left at this point.

As for the ff7 remaster I'm sure it will be coming to the pc sooner or later so why bother with even getting a ps4 & wasting $$$.

Please don't let this be. The only reason I didn't pre-order the remastered version b/c I thought they were going to port it over to the PC like FF13. Waited more than a year. Then bought it the ffx remaster for ps3 just last month. It would be a pain in the ass since I originally wanted to get it for the pc.

As for the ff13 pc stuff. If they are getting all of the dlc of 13-2, along with the 2 games for under 40 bucks is kind of giving the finger to their console customers imo.

As for the LR pc port if they end up getting it also w/ all of the dlc already. For 60 or less. I'm sure many will be peeved. I know I am going on a rant now & probably seem a bit petty.

But c'mon w/e happened to the console exclusive? B/c at this point it seems like only GoW & Gran Turismo are the only PS exclusives left at this point.

As for the ff7 remaster I'm sure it will be coming to the pc sooner or later so why bother with even getting a ps4 & wasting $$$.

... what?

To reply the FFXIII PC ports are byproduct of the mobile streaming versions for iOS/android (which most final fantasy PC ports come from) well except for Type 0 HD but hopefully that does mean Square is serious and ports their more beloved titles to PC

brau

To reply the FFXIII PC ports are byproduct of the mobile streaming versions for iOS/android (which most final fantasy PC ports come from) well except for Type 0 HD but hopefully that does mean Square is serious and ports their more beloved titles to PC

I thought this was the case. We already getting Lightning returns and other Square titles on pc. Seems like a good idea imo. Specially since i skipped a lot of these games, and they tend to look better, run better (after some tweaking) on pc.

Cry Moar

Omaer

Banned

I see. So the as for the 13 trilogy, how have the first 2 ports been? I have read & heard mixed reports.

Well I just hope now they bring FF7 the new one to PC relatively sooner than later.

SIT I already did that this morning. Thanks for rubbing salt into my wounds.

now whenever I'm reminded ' i cri every tim'.

But on a more serious note. For PC/Console gamers who play mostly JRPGs SE move to PC seems to me to mark a plunge in future Sony PS sales.

B/c @ this point besides RPG (like GoW which is done now I believe along with MGS & DMC) . JRPGs from SE & Level 5 seemed to keep it alive for many imo.

That just leaves for players like me racing, action & adventure games. Which the majority of them have already moved to the PC.

Imho PS5 just may be the last big console. And with the PS3 & 360 being the transition from true consoles to PC-wannabe consoles.

Sorry for the long rant.

I'm just going to go in a corner now & cry some moar.

Peace.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm getting more and more confused. At worst, it reads like complaining that GOTY editions devalue day-1 $60 purchases. At best, it reads like a Tetsuya Nomura intro because of the italics.

brau

I'm getting more and more confused. At worst, it reads like complaining that GOTY editions devalue day-1 $60 purchases. At best, it reads like a Tetsuya Nomura intro because of the italics.

I think he just meant to say "PC FTW" after Persona 5 releases.

Thats what i understood. And something about Tim.

So I just got FFXIII in the square-enix holiday bundle. I'll have to download it over the next couple of days....

What is the best method of playing at 4K native with a 30fps lock? Cheers

Widge

Have they fixed the FPS issue with FFXIII or is it still a mess ;(?

Anecdotal but I used to have real problems if didn't play from a fresh boot or if I did something like alt-tab out of FF.

If I started from a fresh boot, nothing open, the game was unfaulteringly smooth. Not sure if this pans out for others though.

Drogean

no issues with fps drops on my 1080p now with the latest patch, vsync on, smooth 60fps, ambient occlusion forced on control panel, msaa 2x/4x, shadows 1024x

might release some texture mods for this too

Top Bottom