• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT3| Keniki Gauge Cost: 20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's actually interesting to me since Grit was basically an MP-based GCD cooldown, aka DRK Inner Beast, should the situation arise. Seems they ran with the concept and gave them an oGCD MP based variant instead.

Worth noting people are saying the JP tooltip specifies that it gives 50 Blood Gauge upon the shield being used up, not from wearing off.

That kind of sucks if true. You can still use it as I described but in that case you would have to make sure the shield is broken in order to get Blood from it which restricts how much freedom you have in using it.

It will be easier to use it as an OT since the shield amount is reduced when used on others and you can just slap it on the main tank who will be taking the heaviest hits.

I wonder how many Bloodspillers can be chained together. 100 full gauge + 50 from BN would give you three at the very least.

No real way to tell right now without testing to see what the BG gain is like with Blood Weapon + other abilities that give BG.

EDIT: Also I haven't found the video yet, but I read a comment stating that Red Mage's Vercure heals for around 6000 which is actually not bad. It's possible it might be scaling off of INT because Physick on Summoners and Black Mages healed for nothing and that scaled off of MND. It would explain the difference in numbers.

CLBridges

New footage looks good. Excited to play in a couple weeks. Sticking with Bard but the new jobs look sweet. It's gonna be hard not to unlock them right away and join the zerg but I wanna dive right into the new story asap.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
While I am hype for Stormblood, I'm sad that my friends are pretty much gone until then. =/ FC is silent.

Oh well, back to lvling jobs and raising Chocobos. \o/

Foxxsoxx

Dark Arts > Carve and Spit whenever possible. Weave in some siphon strikes to get your MP back, Dark Arts > Souleater when Carve and Spit is off cooldown.

Balance your MP depending on what fight you're in -- for longer fights where there's nothing to attack, keep it no lower than 30%, as you'll run out of MP if it's much lower than that.

Otherwise you're safe to keep it in the 20% range for greedy Dark Arts usage.

Also, try to be outside of Grit as much as possible.

Yeah thanks for the tips, figured Grit would only be useful for raids. Trying to figure out where to bind my abilities for controller. Compared to bard this is something else!

Reminds me a lot of a blood death knight from Wow.

I'm reading that the MCH overheat 20% damage penalty is actually a 20% damage buff?

Also, pretty sure the title is supposed to read Kenki not Keniki.

B.K.

I wonder when the client will update for early access and how large it will be. I'm afraid it's going to be 30-40GB and I'll miss most of it because of my download speeds.

Hi guys, I'm highly considering jumping in but I have some questions I'm hoping you're willing to answer to help me make my decision.

1. Are any of you playing/have played the PS4 version? I prefer my living room setup and aren't comfortable with keyboard and mouse so I'm hoping the DS4 works well. I have some experience playing GW2 with an xbox controller. I heard it looks great on PS4, does it run well? I'm guessing there's no cross save in case I choose to get PC later?

2. Am I right in thinking this is a lot more expensive if I buy it now versus when Storm Blood hits? I see I can get the core game, HS, and SB all together for 60 bucks when it hits but if I were to buy the core game and HS now, it'd be over 50 bucks and then I'd have to buy Storm Blood when it releases on top of that. If this is incorrect, what's the best way to buy all these if I wanted to play now? Is it unlikely I get to HS before SB releases so I should just get the core now and then get SB when it hits which includes HS?

3. I've been trying to pour through beginner information and it looks like you can be every class with just one character? This would be pretty awesome, in GW2 you'd have to make new toons for each profession. If so, how does this work? Do you have to pay a fee to swap? Or do you gain access to all of them once you hit a certain level and then it's a matter of what skills you purchase?

4. Would you recommend I do virtually nothing but the main story to get to SB as soon as possible? The primary reason I'm looking at this game is I heard the story is good and one of the better stories of the FF series so I'm happy to play through all the main quest before jumping into SB but I don't know if it will hurt me to not do higher level dungeons or raids from the core game and HS before getting to SB content. Also, could I feasibly hit level 50 before SB comes out? I'm leaning on the two new jobs for my main so I'm hoping to access them right away by starting the game in advance.

iammeiam

I'm reading that the MCH overheat 20% damage penalty is actually a 20% damage buff?

Yep; and while this doesn't really make MCH as active as it once was it has a substantial impact on the complexity of the job. Overheat-As-Penalty essentially meant MCH was popping off Wildfires with Ammo every minute and dumping Heat any time you got too close to 100 or else big penalty. Relatively straightforward; bizarrely heavy penalty for goofing up, but it should be easy to not goof.

Overheat as we now understand it essentially functions as a stand-in for the damage buffs MCH lost when the removal of cross-class; it's no longer about just mashing the 60s CDs in sync while keeping Heat in a target range, it essentially breaks every minute into two pieces. As the 60s stuff is about to come off cool down, you want to push yourself close to 100 heat so you enter Overheat in concert with the opening WF window. You then spend 10 seconds cramming in your Reload and Quick Reload, R/R/R, Rapid Fire, the whole deal. At the end of 10 seconds WF explodes, Overheat ends, and you're left with a 20s no-GB penalty phase. Penalty phase ends just as the next Reload is up, and you have 30 seconds to position yourself for the next Wildfire window.

It's not the job it was, but it's a substantial gain in complexity, especially when you consider things like trying to sync up with group buffs meaning you may need to adjust the tipping point for Overheat a GCD or two on-the-fly as opposed to just never overheating GG the end. It should also have a slight offsetting burst effect in that you're not going to want to open with Wildfire, you're going to want to move yourself into Overheat first.

The other thing I'm seeing is that the changed Dismantle is flat 10% Damage Reduction, which makes it sound like MCH has Disable now.

It's still a huge change but it's a lot less bland than the initial information made it seem.

Hi guys, I'm highly considering jumping in but I have some questions I'm hoping you're willing to answer to help me make my decision.

1. Are any of you playing/have played the PS4 version? I prefer my living room setup and aren't comfortable with keyboard and mouse so I'm hoping the DS4 works well. I have some experience playing GW2 with an xbox controller. I heard it looks great on PS4, does it run well? I'm guessing there's no cross save in case I choose to get PC later?

2. Am I right in thinking this is a lot more expensive if I buy it now versus when Storm Blood hits? I see I can get the core game, HS, and SB all together for 60 bucks when it hits but if I were to buy the core game and HS now, it'd be over 50 bucks and then I'd have to buy Storm Blood when it releases on top of that. If this is incorrect, what's the best way to buy all these if I wanted to play now? Is it unlikely I get to HS before SB releases so I should just get the core now and then get SB when it hits which includes HS?

3. I've been trying to pour through beginner information and it looks like you can be every class with just one character? This would be pretty awesome, in GW2 you'd have to make new toons for each profession. If so, how does this work? Do you have to pay a fee to swap? Or do you gain access to all of them once you hit a certain level and then it's a matter of what skills you purchase?

4. Would you recommend I do virtually nothing but the main story to get to SB as soon as possible? The primary reason I'm looking at this game is I heard the story is good and one of the better stories of the FF series so I'm happy to play through all the main quest before jumping into SB but I don't know if it will hurt me to not do higher level dungeons or raids from the core game and HS before getting to SB content. Also, could I feasibly hit level 50 before SB comes out? I'm leaning on the two new jobs for my main so I'm hoping to access them right away by starting the game in advance.

1. DS4 works amazing. I play on PC but still use Gamepad because it just works that well, and I'm positive many others in this thread do the same. Servers are shared between PS4 and PC so there is cross play; you would however need to buy a PC license and add it to your account in order to carry over your progress.

2. Cheapest way that allows you to play immediately is to buy the base game (A Realm Reborn) now, and buy Stormblood when you hit level 50, since it includes
Heavensward. Keep in mind you can't access Heavensward this way until Stormblood releases.

3. At level 10 you gain the ability to change classes whenever, simply by equipping a weapon for that class. Attributes aren't shared so there are no penalties to switching (they do level separately).

4. The story starts off slow for many hours, but in my opinion it does become quite good- and it's only getting better. There's a lot of content, so if you want to be level 50 by the time SB releases, mainlining the story wouldn't be a bad idea. Feel free to mess around with the rest of the game's content if you start to feel burned out though, there are a lot of story quests.

Schneider

1. Runs great, and I prefer the game pad controls, kb+m has never done it for me :/ and character info and stuff is crossave, however ui's and other small things aren't stored on server so they don't come across.
2. Honestly would personally say just pick up the complete edition when it drops as it will save you money, and if you plan on sticking with the game is the best value for money.
3. No fee to swap, each time you equip a weapon of another class you swap, after you pick up that class questline (I think lvl15 is when you can pick most up..?) and no skills to purchase, they are just based on your class and role, with the introduction of the new shared role actions.
4. You could hit 50 in time, although you'd have to hit 60 in heavesnward and the post content patches to access Stormblood straight away; achievable if you no life it/don't have anything else to do, with a job/other commitments would be an bit tougher to do. And yes stick with the main story as much as you can while lvling, is usually the best source of exp, especially for a new starter.

I have no idea what I want to play in Stormblood now. Technically I can play any job, but my girlfriend is leveling Scholar first so healers are out of the question even though that's what I raid on. BLM is my DPS of choice normally but their lack of raid utility doesn't seem to be changing in 4.0 which will make them a tough sell I think. Maybe I'll give Monk a shot or something.

I was watching VeryMerri's Samurai video and he basically says that after playing it he's not maining tank anymore to main Samurai because he likes it that much.

I kind of want to feel that way towards Red Mage because I like everything I've seen of it. But I can't know for sure without actually playing it.

It's hard to find any good in depth videos on Red Mage though. The only one I've found that talks about it at length is Mr.Happy's but I was hoping there would be more videos since it's one of the two new jobs.

1. DS4 works amazing. I play on PC but still use Gamepad because it just works that well, and I'm positive many others in this thread do the same. Servers are shared between PS4 and PC so there is cross play; you would however need to buy a PC license and add it to your account in order to carry over your progress.

2. Cheapest way that allows you to play immediately is to buy the base game (A Realm Reborn) now, and buy Stormblood when you hit level 50, since it includes
Heavensward. Keep in mind you can't access Heavensward this way until Stormblood releases.

3. At level 10 you gain the ability to change classes whenever, simply by equipping a weapon for that class. Attributes aren't shared so there are no penalties to switching (they do level separately).

4. The story starts off slow for many hours, but in my opinion it does become quite good- and it's only getting better. There's a lot of content, so if you want to be level 50 by the time SB releases, mainlining the story wouldn't be a bad idea. Feel free to mess around with the rest of the game's content if you start to feel burned out though, there are a lot of story quests.
Thank you so much for answering! I was worried people would rag on the DS4 for controls so great to hear you like it! That's awesome you can continue your progress between mediums, I didn't think there would be a way at all though I knew you could play with PC users. Perfect contingency plan.

That's what I figured for purchasing but I didn't know if I'd quickly chew through the core game's content if I just focused on the main story. From the sound of it, there's enough quests to keep me busy so I can hold off on HS until SB hits.

Wow, you can swap jobs earlier than I expected! I simply need the equipment for the other class? Awesome! So as I'm leaning between Samurai and Red Mage, which two jobs evolve into them at 50? It looks as though you choose something basic before you get the jobs to kick in like pugilist or something like that for melee users for example?

1. Runs great, and I prefer the game pad controls, kb+m has never done it for me :/ and character info and stuff is crossave, however ui's and other small things aren't stored on server so they don't come across.
2. Honestly would personally say just pick up the complete edition when it drops as it will save you money, and if you plan on sticking with the game is the best value for money.
3. No fee to swap, each time you equip a weapon of another class you swap, after you pick up that class questline (I think lvl15 is when you can pick most up..?) and no skills to purchase, they are just based on your class and role, with the introduction of the new shared role actions.
4. You could hit 50 in time, although you'd have to hit 60 in heavesnward and the post content patches to access Stormblood straight away; achievable if you no life it/don't have anything else to do, with a job/other commitments would be an bit tougher to do. And yes stick with the main story as much as you can while lvling, is usually the best source of exp, especially for a new starter.

Wonderful to have another positive impression on the DS4, thanks! My character and everything tied to him is all I'd care about transferring and story progress, of course haha

I'm actually good on money I just would have felt like a fool to pay nearly double the price when I could just wait a few weeks but it sounds as though I can just buy ARR for now and use this time to get a character as close to lvl 50 as I can and progress the story as far as I can leading up to SB coming out. Since I want to main one of the new jobs, getting to 50 sooner would be nice.

Oh, so I need to do a quest for each job, got it. So you automatically unlock all the skills for a job once you get that respective job to a certain level I imagine? I think that cross stuff is going away when Storm Blood hits from what I can tell. I'll probably get comfortable with the game's systems just in time for them to change on me ;p

Thanks, that just confirms my decision to stick with ARR for now as I won't be able to no life it, too many responsibilities haha It's all good, I'm not impatient to experience the story, I just wanted to see how quickly I'd be able to try one of the two new jobs once they hit.

Thanks again for answering, guys! I'm sure I"ll have more questions when I start playing the game soon but you've helped my decision process tremendously.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Another promo:

00f10efa9f916aab2e1bc9f7f1d2d2f103c99519.png

FINAL FANTASY XIV Teams with Carl’s Jr.® and Hardee’s®!

As Stormblood approaches, Zenos yae Galvus, Legatus of the XIIth Legion and crown prince of the Garlean Empire has set his sights on… refreshing beverages.

Quench your thirst for adventure and grab a limited edition FINAL FANTASY XIV: Stormblood 40 oz. cup from participating Carl’s Jr.® and Hardee’s® while supplies last. Each limited edition Zenos cup features a code for 50% off FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn from the Square Enix Online Store.

Collect your cup Warrior of Light, and bring a friend to Eorzea for half off!

Where
Participating Carl’s Jr. and Hardee’s locations across the U.S.

Promotion Period
From Wednesday, May 31, 2017 to Tuesday, June 27, 2017
(While supplies last.)

I wonder when the client will update for early access and how large it will be. I'm afraid it's going to be 30-40GB and I'll miss most of it because of my download speeds.
They did a 24 hour maintenance for 3.0 early access so that's what I would expect. Client update was pushed out 3 hours after maintenance started. Doubt the download will be anywhere close to 30GB if you're caught up with the current client.

Wow, you can swap jobs earlier than I expected! I simply need the equipment for the other class? Awesome! So as I'm leaning between Samurai and Red Mage, which two jobs evolve into them at 50? It looks as though you choose something basic before you get the jobs to kick in like pugilist or something like that for melee users for example?
Both those two are jobs without base classes, but SAM shares gear with pugilist and RDM shares gear with arcanist and thaumaturge so you can lv one of those classes and then swap gear at 50 if you switch to SAM or RDM.

KuroNeeko

I was (am) pretty excited about trying other classes like AST, BRD / MCH, and DRK, but to be honest, now that I can Hide → reset Mudras → Shukuchi → Raiton / Katon reset → Shukuchi and Ten Chi Jin for MOAR Mudras, along with Kassatsu...

That's just SO much Ninja...I don't think we'll be that good but...sure sounds like fun.

edit: Also finished 2.1 last night and got Yoshimitsu Zenith. Pretty much dying on every Hard Trial though lol.

Thorgal

I was watching VeryMerri's Samurai video and he basically says that after playing it he's not maining tank anymore to main Samurai because he likes it that much.

I kind of want to feel that way towards Red Mage because I like everything I've seen of it. But I can't know for sure without actually playing it.

It's hard to find any good in depth videos on Red Mage though. The only one I've found that talks about it at length is Mr.Happy's but I was hoping there would be more videos since it's one of the two new jobs.

MTQcapture (aka Mizzteq) has good indepth guides on them.

Our whm is devestated. She is a whm to her very core and Now they give her a mechanic that only shitty single target whms would really ever experience and is totally pointless in meaningful content where cooldowns are planned in advance and shaving 10 fucking seconds off tetra means shit.

But at least stone 4 and holy spam is great for dungeon pulls?

There is no way this can last. I fully expect changes and buffs before savage hits.

duckroll

I hit the lvl59 msq level gate last night. Will probably be able to advance after doing the Vanu Vanu and Varth daily quests tonight, along with the rest of the quests around the new area and maybe a daily trial or dungeon. So I've been thinking about this. And I realized something. The progression in the HW msq chain feels -really- quick compared to ARR, and somewhat... thin on content? I'm not saying this negatively, because I think it's pretty satisfying in terms of how you move through the variety of maps, and flying is really cool, but it feels significantly smaller and tighter compared to ARR. I guess this is expected for an expansion? My expectation was HW would similar ARR in terms of content, so this was a surprise. There are hardly any dungeons and trials, and not much backtracking at all.

Does this change in 3.x? Are we expecting the same tightness in SB? I'm guessing the really exciting optional content opens up in 3.x at least? Because while trying to level, I literally went looking for cool optional content and extra dungeons but couldn't really find anything other than 2.x stuff.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Leveling to 50 has more dungeons but some of them are remade out of 1.0 assets so that's probably why. ARR in general had more content per patch, no denying that.

Yam's

Really curious to see how much xp pvp will give while leveling. I hope they make it a real option for leveling outside of dungeons/potd.

SAM is looking increasingly badass.

I'm glad that after having zero DPS jobs I wanted to play in HW, there are now 2 DPS jobs which have my full attention in SB: SAM and BRD.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Japanese tooltip for Sole Survivor has Trick Attack effect on it (10% damage taken increase).
It used to be a PVP only buff but it doesn't have that PVP-only remark anymore.
What even. How much can you possibly buff a burst window with all these.

I've played FFXIV all the way through Heavensward on PS4 but for Stormblood I'm considering going the pc-route because it seems to look and run better on that platform if you have a capable pc.

Can I just buy the pc-version of Stormblood and be on my merry way? Os is there stuff I should know about?

IMBored

I hit the lvl59 msq level gate last night. Will probably be able to advance after doing the Vanu Vanu and Varth daily quests tonight, along with the rest of the quests around the new area and maybe a daily trial or dungeon. So I've been thinking about this. And I realized something. The progression in the HW msq chain feels -really- quick compared to ARR, and somewhat... thin on content? I'm not saying this negatively, because I think it's pretty satisfying in terms of how you move through the variety of maps, and flying is really cool, but it feels significantly smaller and tighter compared to ARR. I guess this is expected for an expansion? My expectation was HW would similar ARR in terms of content, so this was a surprise. There are hardly any dungeons and trials, and not much backtracking at all.

Does this change in 3.x? Are we expecting the same tightness in SB? I'm guessing the really exciting optional content opens up in 3.x at least? Because while trying to level, I literally went looking for cool optional content and extra dungeons but couldn't really find anything other than 2.x stuff.

Yes, there's a more content 3.x, Example, there's 8 dungeons in 3.0, 2 of those optional, while in the 3.x content there's 10, about half of them optional.
3.0 was a streamlined story meant to show you the new areas, get you to 60. 3.x is more varied in terms of story and content to do, more trials, alex and 16 man raids.

katagai

I've played FFXIV all the way through Heavensward on PS4 but for Stormblood I'm considering going the pc-route because it seems to look and run better on that platform if you have a capable pc.

Can I just buy the pc-version of Stormblood and be on my merry way? Os is there stuff I should know about?

Yes, but I believe you'll either need to purchase ARR + Stormblood or the Complete Edition with ARR already included.

What are people doing to pass the time until the 16th?

Getting further geared? Levelling a crafter/gatherer?

Running POTD for jobs/things for materia?

Kinda curious, because I'm unsure what to focus on.

dabig2

Right now I"m just gearing up some of my other classes. Got MNK to 60 the other day and am lvling him up to i270 and beyond in preparation for SB (with SAM sharing gear with MNK). I'm also going to spend the next couple weeks lvling a few other battle classes to 60 and maaaaybe my crafters/gatherers, but focusing mainly on my battle classes, so that means lots and lots of PotD.

I'm also pre-farming for my next anima weapon. Haven't decided who's going to get it, but I'm gathering up umbrite, aether oils, singing clusters, and crystal sands at the same time I've lvling my <60 classes. I'm hoping for a nerf here in the amount required - like umbrite - but I can at least start the process to get a leg up.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

3.x is the same, it's much shorter than 2.x and much more direct. And yeah the optional stuff kicks in at that point; 8 man Alexander raid, 24 man Void Ark raid, a couple of hard mode 2.x dungeons, the warring triad primals, extreme versions of all the HW primals, and pvp.

4.0 will probably be similar but it'll have some grind at launch like HW used to so you'll need to do those boring sidequests in the zone or run lv 61+ dungeons over and over to lv. That grind was largely cut out of HW post launch with xp buffs to ARR quest, dungeons, fates, and potd.

You'll need the base game as well so you can either get ARR+SB (HW is included in SB) or the $60 complete version of SB that includes ARR.

Also if possible avoid the steam version, buying it will lock into purchasing expansions from Steam where they rarely go on sale.

Omni

I still log in to uhhh... mostly level up my retainer, haha. I neglected one of them for a long time so trying to get it to 60 before 4.0. Almost 59 now zzzzzz. We still do the occasional roulette and 24 man raid for the fun of it though.

Beyond that... there's not much else. I'm sitting on about 60 million gil which is decent enough and I have no interest in levelling my crafters/gatherers so eh xD

IvorB

Don’t really see myself playing much until then to be honest. Now that we know what the new sh*t is, I don’t really feel like playing the old stuff.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
"As Stormblood approaches, Zenos yae Galvus, Legatus of the XIIth Legion and crown prince of the Garlean Empire has set his sights on… refreshing beverages."

God is dead and soft drinks have killed him.

You will lose your hot bars and UI settings iirc

Doing anima at a leisurely pace is keeping me busy without making me want to rip my eyes out. Should be done in a week. After that I'll be cleaning junk from retainers, helping friends and farming glamour while waiting for early access.

kagamin

Leveling craters on my main since I'm done farming A12S for the most part, and casually leveling my alt on Aether where my other friend plays so I can probably have a level 60 NIN through all of HW by the time the xpac drops if I'm efficient.

I got botanist and miner to 60 I've completed almost 3 armor sets from Dun Scaith and now I'm reading horror short stories until the 16th.

Foxxsoxx

Is it going to be important being geared for SB?

My Bard is in the 230s and I don't know if I'll be fine or need to be higher because at the moment I've been focusing on leveling a few classes to see if I like them.

You will lose your hot bars and UI settings iirc

Thanks, this kind of worries me because I had a nice setup that was easy to pick up again after having not played for a while (like now, waiting for Stormblood), but I don't think I could recreate it from memory. Then again, maybe it doesn't matter as much with the new-ish battle system? I'm a dragoon btw.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Is it going to be important being geared for SB?

My Bard is in the 230s and I don't know if I'll be fine or need to be higher because at the moment I've been focusing on leveling a few classes to see if I like them.
You'll probably be able to buy gear with ilv high enough to start SB, like in HW.

I assume that just like in HW, having the maximum ilv will mean not having to upgrade your gear until ~63.

Robin64

So early access is 15 days from now? I have 17 days of Moogle dailies left to get them to Bloodsworn and I was hoping to have that finished and then to big final questline for the Beast Tribes before Stormblood. Ah well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom