• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV SIGGRAPH 2016 Tech Talk and Presentations

Damsung

Banned
Prompto's outfit is not far from what young One Direction dudes wear.

guys-One-Direction-wore-matching-outfits-NYC-premiere.jpg

one-direction-bei-den-brit-awards2014-schwarz-anzuege_getty880-1.jpg

They're quite a bit different and those guys aren't wearing particularly normal clothes either.

CgDFV-MUMAAFQ3Z.jpg

still dont understand people who complain about the fashion. you guys must really have no sense of style.

its actually pretty impressive that the characters were designed years ago and the style still fits in 2016.
Wow resident fashionista over here. Pls teach us

Zedark

From the Season Pass thread:

k8m3BQo.png

Wonder what booster pack and holiday pack could be. Seems like we are getting at least one major expansion and three extra quests/episodes (if the size of episode Duscae, this could be some real value).

Famassu

A bit more normal but that still wouldn't have been worn out on most streets. The newer stuff isn't normal anywhere.
And why should it be normal in our eyes? Not only is Noctis a prince but this is a fictional world. While they are obviously inspired by more modern real-world clothing styles, they don't need to be 100% in line with what people would wear in the real world. FFs have always used very stylized character designs that are far removed from the "normal" folk even in the games they are in. That's true with characters like Terra & Zidane as much as it is with Noctis. The only one where I feel the characters mostly blend in with the rest of the populace is FFXII.

Alright, so what does Noctis Engine sword actually do-
If we go by the VS trailer back 2k11, all it really did, was make Noctis more lethal
he was able to go through enemies even showing blood in certain scenes.
Unless that was just the style that they were going for back then.

Alright, so what does Noctis Engine sword actually do-
If we go by the VS trailer back 2k11, all it really did, was make Noctis more lethal
he was able to go through enemies even showing blood in certain scenes.
Unless that was just the style that they were going for back then.

The most recent news on engine sword is the following:

Question :Will the Airstep Sword, Engine Sword, or other weapons from the Versus XIII days make it into the final game?

Tabata: The Airstep Sword is already in the current build. The Engine Sword will make it into the final game as well. And it has special functions. The Engine Sword is its official name.

latest

MelodicEqualDunnart.gif

I'm personally expecting something similar to the gunblade mechanic.

The most recent news on engine sword is the following:

Question :Will the Airstep Sword, Engine Sword, or other weapons from the Versus XIII days make it into the final game?

Tabata: The Airstep Sword is already in the current build. The Engine Sword will make it into the final game as well. And it has special functions. The Engine Sword is its official name.

latest

MelodicEqualDunnart.gif

I'm personally expecting something similar to the gunblade mechanic.

What was it-? Hit R1 at the time you connect the attack?

I personally think it will be like Dante's engine sword
or motorcycle sword, whatever it was called.

benzy

Shinyu has started to translate some Famitsu articles from last year regarding Luminous Studio. A lot of the info overlaps with the new Siggraph info on their tech implementations and game engine presentations, though they go more deeply into PBR and deferred/forward rendering here.

https://twitter.com/jpGameInfo/status/761232710819979264

http://www.one-and-zero.com/single-post/2016/08/05/FFXV-Uncovering-the-base-game-engine

Elaborate game talk, VOL. 70 – Special Edition
Uncovering Final Fantasy XV's base game engine , Luminous Studio – Second interview.

As we introduced last time, Final Fantasy XV (FFXV) is being developed on Square Enix's pride-filled, new generation game engine, Luminous Studio (LS).
In our last article we introduced the base specs of FFXV's graphics but this time I'd like to take a look at the break-down of the technology implemented in FFXV.

Deferred rendering is mainly used in FFXV
LS is not a FFXV specific game engine. It's an engine that should be usable in development for all genera of games, actively implement modern technology that is being used, and apply high spec universal design that allows game developers to select technology that is appropriate for their game.
As for the graphics drawing engine, LS uses both deferred rendering, which has advanced in application in recent years, and forward rendering, which has been used for a long time.

Driancount
In FFXV, we mainly use deferred rendering while there are some exception such as semitransparent objects which are drawn with forward rendering.
Forward rendering is a method of calculation that applies object specific shadows and lighting. It splits 3D polygon models into pixels, then the Pixel Shader works on each of those pixels. For example, let's suppose we we will draw a forest filled with a few 10,000 trees using Forward Rendering. In a situation where we look at the forest from a designated location, the only tree we can fully see is the one closest to us. However, You should be able to see parts of other trees in the back through gaps in the leaves and branches. In this case, even if you can only see one branch, the Pixel Shader runs calculations for object specific shadows, lighting, and then draws the entire tree. The resulting calculations that are not part of the branch, are not stored as draw effects. Those calculations are simply thrown out. Regardless, this is a waste of GPU power. These days, as there are many cases where high grade material expressions are implemented using a Pixel Shader, this “wasted drawing” is becoming a serious problem because the number of 3D models are also increasing.
Rendering that was invented to resolve this problem was deferred rendering. Deferred rendering is the same as forward rendering up to the point of separating polygons, which make up 3D models, into pixels. The feature of Deferred Rendering is that calculations for object specific shading and lighting using the Pixel Shader are postponed. Then it gathers the necessary related parameters in those calculations, and conducts preliminary processing which writes the intermediate calculation results into a working buffer. In the latter part, it references the intermediate calculations and parameter groups then conducts the final lighting calculations and object specific shadows via the Pixel Shader.

Aramaki
The intermediate calculation results and parameters, which are output in the early stages of Deferred rendering, are output to 5 G-Buffers through MRT (Multi-Rendering Target). This is a modern technique and we are working to optimize it so eventually we can consolidate it into 4 G-Buffers. If we break down the G-Buffer we have, normal vectors (orientation of pixel unites), base color (state of applying textures), specular reflection, reflectance, roughness, and material ID (discussed later).
Depending on the screen from our previously mentioned forest, quite a few saved results from the intermediate calculations and parameter retrieval, that were conducted in the early phase of default rendering, will be tossed out. At this point, it's the same as forward rendering. However, in this phase, the merit comes in that the GPU load is low because we have only made the Pixel Shader do some simple work. Thus, regardless of how complex a scene is or how many polygons are in the scene, when first stage processing is finished, there has been no loss of calculations or duplicated drawings in the results for object specific shading and later phase lighting. This is because the angle on all the 3D models, like characters and backgrounds, can be confirmed instantaneously.
Simply put, for complex scene constructions which use an extremely large amount of polygons and the richer a game's graphics are in material expressions, like FFXV, the better performance Deferred Rendering will have.

FFXV also uses Physically Based Rendering
Physically Based Rendering (PBR) is also implemented on Material Expressions in FFXV. PBR acts in accordance to the law of conservation, conducting calculations for shadowing, lighting, and assures that the sums of input light and output light are equivalent. On Playstation 4 (PS4) and Xbox One (X1) generation machines this concept is becoming a technological standard.

In FFXV, the pre-phase processing taking place in deferred rendering, saves an ID number called Material ID into the G-Buffer. When shading calculations and lighting calculations take place in the later phase, an individual Pixel Shader program, which conducts texture expressions that correspond to the Material ID, boots up and computes output lighting for specific materials. All shadows and lighting for materials that exist in the world of FFXV, rocks, metal, wood, leather, etc., are created by the Pixel Shader program which individually calculates those materials to create expressions.

Iwata
In conjunction with FFXV we developed a new shader engine with a fairly high degree of design freedom. In the FFXV team there are a few artists skilled in shader settings, so they are designing a shader with various Material Expressions. The design for synthetic materials which combine several basic materials can also freely be changed. The synthetic material is not output as a combination of basic materials but output as its own new material shader.

The various materials that show up in FFXV’s images fundamentally create the same shading and reflections as materials that actually exist in our world. When you watch the images, it’s not something that can be expressed with simply high resolution textures. You can understand the peculiar and yet real transmission of how materials would feel.

Aramaki
However, when implementing Physically Based Rendering and drawing something, we are troubled in that, it oddly looks too pretty. The images of FFXV which players will actually see, are the products of added labor, or how to say, making them dirty. (laughs)
As for that labor, it’s a company secret. However, for the actual problem at hand, it’s not something that is talked about in theory or logic. Perhaps it is the development teams empirical expression techniques used when creating visual taste renowned to the FF series.

Forward composition
In FFXV, opaque materials are drawn with Deferred Rendering. Translucent Materials are drawn with Forward Rendering. The image the player sees is a compilation of these two elements. In this scene you can see that building materials are drawn in Deferred Rendering and Glass Materials are drawn in Forward Rendering.

This is a screenshot from Luminos Studio’s Shader Editor. Artists make use of this Shader Editor and combine basic materials and adjust its parameters or insert specific additional calculations and layout all materials. The special trait here is, it uses the so called visual programming style where you connect strings to a function node. What is really interesting is, the image supports the shading code for all the function nodes. Apparently, one can also do some serious programming too. Work can be done very effectively because the laid out material can immediately be check in the top right hand preview screen.

In FFXV we put a lot of Material Expressions through Physically Based Rendering. These screenshots are from a Material Expression demo-shot in FFXV. If you simply look at these you can understand that materials like concrete, metal and wood, are expressed fairly realistic. Additionally, Even if we change the lighting conditions, this realism won’t change.

Chilikar

What the hell are they riding on, btw? A flying sword connected to something by a rope/cable? oO

You can kinda see it better here:
tumblr_o8rblcxSWb1qmmy1mo5_400.gif
Holy, I never noticed the rope/cable. Maybe they're using prompto and noctis as bait and trying to fish leviathan hahah

wmlk

Column writer

06bdb2_ccfb858fb49947fbac010c7431c25b28~mv2.jpg

Zenshi Nishikawa
A bad Genesis cosplayer

Thanks,
any highlights or any thing that stood out?

Koozek

Thanks,
any highlights or any thing that stood out?

A lot of Luminous-specific stuff that our graphic tech experts @benzy, @DeSolos & Co. already talked about and some pretty good explanations for basic techniques and terms, so it might not be uninteresting for noobs.

A lot of Luminous-specific stuff that our graphic tech experts @benzy, @DeSolos & Co. already talked about and some pretty good explanations for basic techniques and terms, so it might not be uninteresting for noobs.

Raises hand* I'm noob
Let me ask this again since we heard from other threads that PS4 Neo will be announced like 27 days from now.

Anyone else willing to wait to play the game until the PS4Matrix gets released (perhaps in October?), I assume that by then Final Fantasy XV will be Matrix patched ready.

as crazy as it sounds I'm I willing and I can always spend some time mastering Justice V and trying to get a platinum trophy on Final fantasy king regis game (whatever the name is) and re watching kingsglaive for the 4th time :) and asking Kagari for one of them bans to keep me away from GAF for a while :)

Koozek

Raises hand* I'm noob
Let me ask this again since we heard from other threads that PS4 Neo will be announced like 27 days from now.

Anyone else willing to wait to play the game until the PS4Matrix gets released (perhaps in October?), I assume that by then Final Fantasy XV will be Matrix patched ready.

as crazy as it sounds I'm I willing and I can always spend some time mastering Justice V and trying to get a platinum trophy on Final fantasy king regis game (whatever the name is) and re watching kingsglaive for the 4th time :) and asking Kagari for one of them bans to keep me away from GAF for a while :)
Nonononnnooono, I won't wait even a day, especially because I had the insane luck that my last exam was decided to be 3 days before FFXV and I have two weeks of free time until the next semester afterwards. I can't pass this chance of guilt-free binge-playing and all-nighters :D

I hope for some miracle that Neo releases before September 30, but that's obviously not happening with the official reveal only being 3 weeks prior, so I will probably just get a Struggle PS4 and resell it a few months later for a Neo.

Oh, and yeah, FFXV has to have a launch-ready Neo patch as a late-September game, according to the leaked Neo presentation.

Nonononnnooono, I won't wait even a day, especially because I had the insane luck that my last exam was decided to be 3 days before FFXV and I have two weeks of free time until the next semester afterwards. I can't pass this chance of guilt-free binge-playing and all-nighters :D

I hope for some miracle that Neo releases before September 30, but that's obviously not happening with the official reveal only being 3 weeks prior, so I will probably just get a Struggle PS4 and resell it a few months later for a Neo.

Oh, and yeah, FFXV has to have a launch-ready Neo patch as a late-September game, according to the leaked Neo presentation.

That made my day!
don't forget the S'more's man XD

Top Bottom