• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV tech demo presentation by Tabata (Demo gameplay details added)

HeelPower

I want a good Cid. Cid Raines was baddd...I remember reading that they wasn't sure they wanted to name him Cid at first.

He was a missed opportunity just like Jihl and Rosch.

All the characters had good visual designs and concepts behind them but they were underutilized and never fully fleshed out.

Skilletor

Because it was advertised as such, only after tabata took control it got dismissed ( so it seems )

This was never advertised as an evolution of KH. Hell, it hasn't even been advertised. It was being handled by the KH2 team and some of the things Noctis did looked like Kingdom Hearts.

Where have they ever said it would play like KH?

Exentryk

Thanks for sharing those details, Verendus. It's what I thought would be the control scheme.

Also, weapon switching has been in since the 2011 trailers. We got a good look at it in the E3 2013 trailers, and is also in these TGS trailers. You can see Noctis do different weapon combos on different enemies. If it were automated, your combo would be the same everytime.

I like the idea of how warping works. Hold R2, then cycle through the targets (enemies or locations) and then release to warp. Magic works the same but with a different button (L2). The only thing here is that you'd be limited to one magic spell only. Or may be 4 if you include L2 + face buttons. I am okay with this as it will make it more seamless.

Finally, auto attack with L1 for weapon switch is fine. It's probably something you'd need to play yourself to get the feel for it, as currently mashing the button seems superior. But if you think about it, Holding Attack, and then pressing L1 occasionally is essentially button mashing. In this case, the button mashing is switching weapons, and that'll give you a similar feedback.
Having said that, I like the idea of having a chain on and off button, so you could turn off the auto attack if you want to.

Anyway. I am looking forward to experiencing this.

Squire

Banned
This was never advertised as an evolution of KH. Hell, it hasn't even been advertised. It was being handled by the KH2 team and some of the things Noctis did looked like Kingdom Hearts.

They said it was an action-RPG being made by the KH2 team and when people saw it that's exactly what it looked like.

Can't really blame people for putting 2 and 2 together.

I guess we'll have to wait and see just how much control, if any, you have over the "combos."

The weapon switching makes it sound like you have nothing BUT control. Just looking at the tech demo makes that more than plain, I feel. Noctis does a variety of different moves, such as opening with a sweep of his spear. I don't get all the whining about holding down a button to string attacks, either. There is no appreciable difference between mashing X to do combos and holding down X. Add in weaving weapons into strings of combos to vary attacks for different situations and this sounds to me like it's MORE responsive and deep than tapping to attack.

As you said, we will see. Nothing is set in stone and we have no guarantees yet. Everything demonstrated here however seems to me to counter indicate anything resembling autopilot.

I think it has to do with people knowing it was the KH team and director making a game that looked sort of like the KH combat and fantasizing about a darker, edgier, more FF centric KH-style game in a time when the next major KH wasn't even announced (and wasn't looking likely to be announced given the team was busy with Versus XIII) and they have just held onto that fantasy for all these years.

Skilletor

They said it was an action-RPG being made by the KH2 team and when people saw it that's exactly what it looked like.

Can't really blame people for putting 2 and 2 together.

Still looks similar to me, but doing things to differentiate it from Kingdom Hearts. Has the KH2 team even made a game since KH2? Would explain why that would be the base, and as development continues doing things to separate it from KH.

I think it has to do with people knowing it was the KH team and director making a game that looked sort of like the KH combat and fantasizing about a darker, edgier, more FF centric KH-style game in a time when the next major KH wasn't even announced (and wasn't looking likely to be announced given the team was busy with Versus XIII) and they have just held onto that fantasy for all these years.

The KH2 team hasn't been the KH team for a long time. If people were looking for the evolution of KH, they'd be looking at Team Osaka's next game.

And hey, lookie, it's KH3. :p

Still looks similar to me, but doing things to differentiate it from Kingdom Hearts. Has the KH2 team even made a game since KH2? Would explain why that would be the base, and as development continues doing things to separate it from KH.

The KH2 team hasn't been the KH team for a long time. If people were looking for the evolution of KH, they'd be looking at Team Osaka's next game.

And hey, lookie, it's KH3. :p

I'm aware, but that's not how people thought of Team Osaka at the time. Team Osaka was seen as the team that did the "side" KH games. Not the mainline KH games.

HeelPower

it will probably be FFXVI

still probably 2-3 years tho til that tho so as said before let it go!

tumblr_m5s5oxuV771r83pjjo1_500.jpg

KAGARI PLEASE DON'T BAN ME.

it will probably be FFXVI

still probably 2-3 years tho til that tho so as said before let it go!

Or maybe FFXVI is something original(didn't Verendus say the other two things he's seen were neither AP-related) and AP was nothing more that a tech demo(like FFVI's tech demo for Ultra 64, FFVIII's tech demo for PS2 and FFVII's tech demo for PS3).

Exentryk

I wonder if I should compile all the trailer information into one single post with gifs and all? Worth making a thread like that?

Rising_Hei

Because it was advertised as such, only after tabata took control it got dismissed ( so it seems )

As people said it was never advertised as such, what your expectations are aren't the reality.
I just hope everyone let the game be and don't moan because the game is not what they had in mind

As people said it was never advertised as such, what your expectations are aren't the reality.
I just hope everyone let the game be and don't moan because the game is not what they had in mind

I'm going to still enjoy the game regardless I've been waiting for so long complaining is not even an option lol , but all I was trying to say is that combat was supposed to be like KH and I'm pretty sure there's interviews hinting at such or rather evolution from that and the majority of people expected that, so either my expections or the general public consensus has been wrong since 06.

ZenTzen

Or maybe FFXVI is something original(didn't Verendus say the other two things he's seen were neither AP-related) and AP was nothing more that a tech demo(like FFVI's tech demo for Ultra 64, FFVIII's tech demo for PS2 and FFVII's tech demo for PS3).

wasnt Hiroyuki Ito speculated to be doing FFXVI

cnorwood

Banned
I know they want to sell copies of type 0 but I feel like this game would do better with an open demo/beta like destiny. Some of these game companies need to start treating these games like drug dealers and offer the first hit for free. Like Destiny I think many people who werent thinking about buying this would after a free taste.

HeelPower

Some of these game companies need to start treating these games like drug dealers and offer the first hit for free. Like Destiny I think many people who werent thinking about buying this would after a free taste.

WOW LOL.

But I agree.A game this big and so long in the making should definitely get the demo distributed openly and I sure they will release it for everyone a few months after Type-0 releases.

wasnt Hiroyuki Ito speculated to be doing FFXVI

I think a lot of people WANT Hiroyuki Ito to do FFXVI. Though, I don't recall hearing anything about Ito doing the next FF. Don't get me wrong, I'd love that to happen, but FFXVI, I don't know. I'd say it's probably more likely Toriyama would direct it than Ito.

Qvoth

This is a good gif. I'll try and use this to compare to the older demo in the notes. If it was played like that, then:

L1 to implement switch as beginning of combo
Circle press to attack
L1 to implement switch
Circle press to attack
L1 to implement switch
Circle press to attack and then hold for chain
L1 to implement final switch
Circle press for attack

Can you see the pause in the gif after the third switch after the first attack with it? That's where I'd press and hold for the remaining chain.

i'm actually hoping weapon switching is automatic, because this just sounds cumbersome

Exentryk

i'm actually hoping weapon switching is automatic, because this just sounds cumbersome

In the new system, it's like this:

Circle (press and hold) - Noctis attacks and keeps attacking
L1 - Switch Weapon
L1 - Switch Weapon
L1 - Switch Weapon

Or if you don't want to switch weapons, just keep holding Circle and Noctis will keep attacking with the default weapon.

I just hope SE get their development together enough that it's not too long after XV that we see XVI.

I'm not that bothered if it's based on AP or not but I don't want to wait too long to see a current gen FF that is all new. Don't get me wrong, I think XV looks great, the comparison shots with the 2011 trailer really highlight the leap in visuals but we've been seeing Noctis and pals for a long time now.

yencid

Maybe this has been brought up but i just thought of something while watching the E3 gameplay demo.

The weapon guard thing noctis does, where the weapons spiral around him and block everything. Maybe thats the result of holding down the dodge.

wmlk

Maybe this has been brought up but i just thought of something while watching the E3 gameplay demo.

The weapon guard thing noctis does, where the weapons spiral around him and block everything. Maybe thats the result of holding down the dodge.

I think at a certain point he'll become invincible to weak ranged attacks from enemies. If they could do the 'weapon/crystal guard' when the dodge button is pushed then it would be pretty awesome.

But it WAS advertised.

Here are just a few interviews where Nomura specifically compares it to KH:

https://web.archive.org/web/20111205023159/http://andriasang.com/comtqu/nomura_ffxvxiii_famitsu

http://www.ign.com/articles/2007/03/02/tetsuya-nomura-on-ff-versus-xiii

http://www.edge-online.com/features/interview-tetsuya-nomura/

FF Versus XIII(and now FFXV) was always advertised as having action-oriented combat system akin to KH. It's quite apparent in any videos or interviews just like the ones listed above.

HeelPower

Ito to direct FFXVI!!!

8 years later : Ito no longer directing FFXVI, Toriyama fully directing the game now.

Press release : Ito did all he could with the game and is now moving on to games only he can make.All The Bravest 2 is now in full production.

Amir0x

Banned
It really is super impressive how great this game looks for a full scale jRPG. I'm very very cautious due to how the trackrecord has been for FF for a while now, but I want to believe again. Kingdom Hearts was always the guiltiest of guilty pleasures for me, so maybe I'll like this too.

Dark_castle

@Verendus

I'm not questioning your credibility and you said not to take your notes as gospel, but your first "battle system notes", do they come from your own speculation or was it officially released by Square Enix?

I'm so thrilled to read the last line "Only controlled Noctis, but final game will allow control of characters other than Noctis". That makes me the happiest camper. Please don't toy with my feelings. :(

edotlee

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2014/09/skyrim-is-the-sort-of-game-final-fantasy-xv-isnt/
With a vast world comes more realistic weather. Tabata told 4Gamer that weather patterns will change with time and weather actually has an impact on battle conditions with different types of magic having different effects based on the current game weather. Using fire on a clear day will not only hurt monsters, but also ignite surrounding area, making allies susceptible to heat. As a result, using magic can also have friendly-fire impacts on Noctis and his friends as well.

Could be wrong, but I think this explains the difference between 2013 fire spell and the 2014 version of it. No?

Philippo

In the new system, it's like this:

Circle (press and hold) - Noctis attacks and keeps attacking
L1 - Switch Weapon
L1 - Switch Weapon
L1 - Switch Weapon

Or if you don't want to switch weapons, just keep holding Circle and Noctis will keep attacking with the default weapon.

Oh, so switching weapons is still in real-time and not automatic (i tought preparing them like a deck was obvious, i don't get why people get surprised by this)?
Then yeah, for such a mechanic, holding the attack button make it a lot less cumbersome (of course a button mashing option would still be welcome).

Ideally, i'd like something like:
Press/Mash X button = attack combo with the weapon you have equipped (can still switch outside of it)
Hold X button = prolonged combo with the chance to switch weapons mid-time

Also, what about touchpad? I'd like:
Tap = pause battle and enter "ai commands menu"
Swipe to right/left/up/down = show party actions (what we've got in tech video)
Swipe in the opposite direction = go back to command menu

I just hope characters switch, party member aid are still a thing :(

By the way, what exactly are the differences between Verendus notes and what Tabata said?

Top Bottom