• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI | Prologue DEMO

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member
The dad and mom are cousins. Phoenix comes from THEIR bloodline.

Edit: it's shown in the ATL for annabella during the bedroom cutscene.
Oh... ohhhhhhhhhhh K. Got it.

(guess its time for me to play a 3rd time and actually read all the ATL stuff, seems to be some real important info in there)

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
When Joshua is about to transform the enemy soldiers yell, “Kill him quickly!” I think they wanted him dead, but the Queen wanted him alive to enforce her new found power. I’m guessing her deal was Joshua would be spared, but they altered it. Of course we all know the connotations of the Phoenix and the possible twist involving that.

All speculation. Since the game is in the wild people probably already know the specifics. Hopefully nobody will spoil the game.

Another thing I’m curious about is the guy in the cloak making Clive trip out, and I assuming causing him to transform into Ifrit. Also the man on fire. I’m looking forward to seeing if those were real or a hallucination. Initially I thought the cloaked guy turned into Ifrit since Clive was yelling, “You murderers!” On the second time through it seems like he was possessed by the man on fire, the spirit of Ifrit.

When Joshua is about to transform the enemy soldiers yell, “Kill him quickly!” I think they wanted him dead, but the Queen wanted him alive to enforce her new found power. I’m guessing her deal was Joshua would be spared, but they altered it. Of course we all know the connotations of the Phoenix and the possible twist involving that.

All speculation. Since the game is in the wild people probably already know the specifics. Hopefully nobody will spoil the game.

Another thing I’m curious about is the guy in the cloak making Clive trip out, and I assuming causing him to transform into Ifrit. Also the man on fire. I’m looking forward to seeing if those were real or a hallucination. Initially I thought the cloaked guy turned into Ifrit since Clive was yelling, “You murderers!” On the second time through it seems like he was possessed by the man on fire, the spirit of Ifrit.
I'm guessing they only decided to kill him when he started the transformation. They wanted him alive originally I bet. Otherwise they would have killed him immediately instead of approaching slowly. Maybe I'm reading too much into it though.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm guessing they only decided to kill him when he started the transformation. They wanted him alive originally I bet. Otherwise they would have killed him immediately instead of approaching slowly. Maybe I'm reading too much into it though.
I think you’re correct. It was kill or be killed at that point. I’m sure Joshua, although blessed by the power of the phoenix, had never done a full transformation like that. What happened to Elwin almost certainly awakened his power for the first time.

So basicallly it was a botched abduction.

phant0m

While I really enjoyed the demo and am in for Day 1, it’s still my top video game peeve when you win a boss fight but then the cutscene after is like “nope, jk, you lose”.

I was SO confused at the demo’s final cutscene. Like what? I just beat the Eikon of Fire’s ass, literally didn’t land a single hit on me. Now it’s THIS bullshit?

Just make it a cutscene from the beginning or make the fight unwinnable. I hate when games let you earn a victory then snatch it away for no reason.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If any you getting the game sooner just know….

from-the-bottom-of-your-heart-gregory-brown.gif

anchorman-the-legend-of-ron-burgundy.gif

Boss Man

For people saying the combat is great, is there something I might be missing? Dodge attacks with R1, spam abilities when they’re off cooldown? What else is going on?

Boss Man

In dark souls you spam basic attacks and roll with circle what else is going on?
You can’t spam attacks in Dark Souls or you’ll get interrupted and destroyed. Also, minor enemies can easily kill you. Rolling or blocking depends on your gear and the enemy as well as the type of attack.

This demo didn’t have any of that?

Story is cool as hell, I’m going to play it. Combat is better than any other FF game. Just not seeing why people think the combat is so special.

Last edited:

Boss Man

I'm guessing you didn't even bother play second part of the demo.

I did, that’s what put me off on the combat the most. All of my focus was on watching the cooldowns and swapping between powers with L2. That got me through the demo easily, but it felt clumsy.

Thanks for sharing the video titled “hidden combat depth” that’s pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

Last edited:

GenericUser

Ok, my hype for this game is reaching critical levels. I honestly believe that this game could bring Final Fantasy back on it's former glory. Thursday can't come soon enough. I will binge play this game the entire weekend, that's for sure. But I'm going on a media blackout from now on, no pictures, no videos, nothing. I want to see and experience all by myself. We're almost there FF bros!

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
COMG preorder numbers for FFXVI in Japan skyrocketed after the demo released. Also Yoshida confirmed the demo has been downloaded by millions all around the world (no specific numbers). This game might have a big opening week all around the world. Just needs high metacritic score to boost it even more.

Man I just played thru the demo again. What a game. And it gets even better apparently… I also personally, for my tastes, think it’s the best graphics I’ve seen. I just like the art style and the lighting better than Horizons - there’s some moments of gameplay that look straight up CGI.

Can anyone explain why the mom killed her handmaidens tho I didn’t understand why she did that

Also what is the red star about? Does anyone know?

Last edited:

Danjin44

Can anyone explain why the mom killed her handmaidens tho I didn’t understand why she did that
When you first time see the queen she talks to Joshua and tells him how he shouldn't be outside and the later on when you take control of young Clive you see the Queen talking to her handmaidens and warns them if anything happens to Joshua she will kill them and the end she did.

Teslerum

Not sure if this wast posted here yet, but it seems that the localization team is taking some liberties here with their EN translation

Not really. The localization team is actually in house directly working besides Maehiro. It's Koji Fox. So, everything's been discussed directly.
English language also came first after translating the script. Japanese was then localized to match the englisch lip sync based on the original script. So, its actually an opposite situtation for once.

English also goes harder in other scenes. And the whole *Women on the battlefield* thing is in the english localization as well, you've already got Resetera folks freaking out about it.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Is english the only language lip-synced?
Yeah, I’m no expert but I heard their method was different than how they did with FFVIIR and they tried the AI for Japanese lip-sync but it didn’t worked out so they just scrapped it.

Damigos

The demo was epic!
The dynamic and dialog of the characters, the music, the new combat system, the ala god of war scale of everything, the environments, the plot! (Yes, from the 2 hour demo)
If the whole game is like that we are easily talking about one of the game of the year contenders

Danjin44

So thinking of trying out the demo, do you guys suggest English or Japanese language and quality or performance?
I'm type of person usually plays most of JRPG in Japanese but in this case English voices are really good, same way Nier Gestalts/Replicant had really good English voice acting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom