• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Round 2015 - Fighting Game Tournament - March 20th - 22nd

I don't think the NCAA effected viewership, APEX aired during the super bowl and it STILL had impressive stream numbers. It's just you either know about it or you don't.

Tripon

I don't think the NCAA effected viewership, APEX aired during the super bowl and it STILL had impressive stream numbers. It's just you either know about it or you don't.

The Super Bowl certainly hurt viewership numbers. It couldn't break over 75,000 for Smash 4 until the Superbowl ended when it peaked at 98,000 for the grand finals of Smash 4, and then peaked around 112,000 for the Leffen-Mang0 match in Melee.

The Super Bowl certainly hurt viewership numbers. It couldn't break over 75,000 for Smash 4 until the Superbowl ended when it peaked at 98,000 for the grand finals of Smash 4, and then peaked around 112,000 for the Leffen-Mang0 match in Melee.

if everything didn't get pushed back so much cause of the venue disaster, it could have probably peaked even higher, Melee got hit by the SF4 Evo timeslot

Eh that might be true, but it didn't effect me, I was watching both at the same damn time lol. Superbowl on the tv at my friends superbowl party and APEX on my phone lol. It was an awesome weekend.

The disaster definitely helped the online streaming numbers grow as it's pretty much just another link or tweet that goes out telling people about the event.

NastyBook

Highlight of my time there was accidentally thumbing Pokchop in the eye. Straight Ric Flair'd his ass.

Great tournament and loved the new venue. Was my first time there since I had been skipping ever since they stopedp having it on Buford Highway (shorter trip for me). Gonna upload this Zoolander-esque picture of Inkognito soon.

What are you guys talking about the viewership is growing. Back in 2011 or 2012 you would get 15k views max for a major finals. Now they are reaching 60k. Evolution had around 80k viewers in 2012 and 150k+ in 2014. Just like viewership participation number going up too. Majors wasn't getting more than 100-150 for SFIV during 2010-11 but now they are reaching 500+ more large majors alone.

I was in Vegas all weekend and missed FR. Any SFV gameplay/exhibition?

Nope

What are you guys talking about the viewership is growing. Back in 2011 or 2012 you would get 15k views max for a major finals. Now they are reaching 60k. Evolution had around 80k viewers in 2012 and 150k+ in 2014. Just like viewership participation number going up too. Majors wasn't getting more than 100-150 for SFIV during 2010-11 but now they are reaching 500+ more large majors alone.

It's not a stretch to want more views, especially in the face of LoL/Dota 2/what have you. I think it's fantastic we're getting like 150k views at Evo, but of course we all want this community to blow up and be huge.

It'll just take time, if it gets to the level of MOBAs at all.

when APEX's hotel venue got condemned and they had to scramble to find another location. It was a big story that got talked about a lot on the Internets, so I agree that ultimately it helped the viewership numbers despite messing with the schedule

It's not a stretch to want more views, especially in the face of LoL/Dota 2/what have you. I think it's fantastic we're getting like 150k views at Evo, but of course we all want this community to blow up and be huge.

It'll just take time, if it gets to the level of MOBAs at all.

The reason for that MOBAs are f2p man. Anyone can get into it. Besides as soon as you log in you are bombarded with stream ads. Capcom needs to implement something like this on their game. Where as soon as you boot up the game there's a huge ad for the stream in the game menu. Plus i feel personally fighting games scare lot of people off due to their very high skill cap entry level. Casuals can pick up LoL and fight against bots in a co-op scenario. Allowing them to slowly get into the game and things like that.

Heck NRS and all other FG devs should implement in game stream promotion. I do believe with the help of PS4 SFV or MK or any popular FGs in general will gain more viewers because they promote the stream in the PS menu when you select the game to boot up in the highlight section. Honestly i feel like FGs are amazing spectator wise. They are more hype than any genre of gaming, people who never play FG can watch and understand whats going on somewhat. I honestly find MOBAs are snooze fest to watch. 40 min of nothing and 10 sec of all attack IMO ofcourse.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
The reason for that MOBAs are f2p man. Anyone can get into it. Besides as soon as you log in you are bombarded with stream ads. Capcom needs to implement something like this on their game. Where as soon as you boot up the game there's a huge ad for the stream in the game menu. Plus i feel personally fighting games scare lot of people off due to their very high skill cap entry level. Casuals can pick up LoL and fight against bots in a co-op scenario. Allowing them to slowly get into the game and things like that.

Indeed; making FGs as big as MOBAs require making them as accessible as MOBAs; and removing the super high barrier to entry as well as creating a better and more consistent path to get from newbie level to "can get out of pools at a major".

Honestly i feel like FGs are amazing spectator wise. They are more hype than any genre of gaming, people who never play FG can watch and understand whats going on somewhat. I honestly find MOBAs are snooze fest to watch. 40 min of nothing and 10 sec of all attack IMO ofcourse.

Was just going to say basically the same thing regarding fighting games, you can follow the action and get hype watching even if you don't play them. That should be a major trump, but I guess it's still dwarfed by the sheer number of people playing MOBAs.

Mobas are team games. This is a huge point. Somebody can carry you and you can blame others for loses. FGs are you sinking and swimming on your own. Making it like mobas would change the core of what it is now.

If that what happens, so be it, or it will evolve into something else in addition to 1v1. Something like incarnates namco game or something.

Me personally, i like 1v1 fgs and arena shooters. Im old though.

I think think they need to integrate the promotion of this stuff better through the actual game UI when you log on, betters apps to track this stuff. Make it easy for people to enjoy and follow.

It's probably just ridiculous to aspire to MOBA numbers. Take them out of the equation, how respectable are FGC viewer numbers then, comparing to other games' big events?

Capcom has to make Pro Tour Events VODs Free and available right after the event is over. None of this choosing 5 matches out of 50 and uploading them to youtube

Shouta

Sorry.

*shrug*

I respect the hell out of the series and the players, but I'll likely never enjoy spectating the games unless I decided actually play them. Everything about Tekken from a spectator standpoint is dull as hell.

So watching JDCR is boring because he showcases true skill and demonstrates quality reflexes and strategy?

What?

Goddammit kids.

Kimo, if you're only going to post complaints about the game you're not going to ever enjoy watching being on stream, don't post it. It's just noise.

Sayah, cut the nonsense. Folks enjoy matches for different reasons, no one has to use your lens watch something.

alstein

It's probably just ridiculous to aspire to MOBA numbers. Take them out of the equation, how respectable are FGC viewer numbers then, comparing to other games' big events?

SF4 was 20th in Twitch viewership numbers.

That said, I think we'll see a small bump with SF5, as it will be more unpredictable than SF4 is now, at least initially. A good PC port if Capcom pulls it off will also help tremendously.

Doomshine

See you again next year!

CAwBQnZUUAA7G8s.jpg

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I am really sorry about my voice during TEKKEN commentary. I didn't save it for nationals like I did in the past.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

alstein

I think over the years Shinblanka has been pretty good to the anime scene and other less popular games, so even if this year kinda stunk for them he deserves a second chance.

I don't think he's one of the bad TOs. Was probably my most enjoyable experience out of the majors I've been to.

Marz

I think over the years Shinblanka has been pretty good to the anime scene and other less popular games, so even if this year kinda stunk for them he deserves a second chance.

I don't think he's one of the bad TOs. Was probably my most enjoyable experience out of the majors I've been to.

Yo I heard you like to win one game in endless and then leave.

Explain yourself.

Top Bottom