• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally gonna play New Vegas, need build suggestions

With all the hype surrounding the Fallout show and the Fallout 4 “next gen update” I’ve gotten the Fallout itch.
But Fallout 4 sucked and I have zero desire to replay it. As an old fart I always preferred the isometric games, but long have I heard the praises of New Vegas. I did own a copy back in the 360 days, but I never got around to it. So I’m gonna fire this thing up on Series X.
Any SPECIAL recommendations for stats n such? I generally like to run a sniper/gunslinger build, but I want to make sure I have stats in the right areas for the good/fun dialogue options.

Also, are the dlc’s good?

RagnarokIV

Nothing special required, recommended build based on official information is:

• Windows 7/Vista/XP
  • Dual Core 2 GHz or equivalent processor
  • 2 GB Ram
  • 10 GB free HDD Space
  • NVIDIA GeForce 6 series or ATI 1300XT series video card, or equivalent
To be honest, any build from the past few years will annihilate the game.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It's better to ask for builds after playing the game and having a sense for it.

There are tons of dialogue options depending on your skills. The one with the most is obviously Speech but having scholarly knowledge about science, explosives, guns, etc, also opens up different dialogue options. Most builds that you can make are viable so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

The game encourages experimenting so just go with what you think is cool or want to roleplay as.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Also, are the dlc’s good?
They're alright.

Dead Money can be really cool with its survival horror atmosphere but it funnels you into specific playstyles and you might have a way harder time if your build isn't geared towards those styles.

Honest Hearts to me is the best one of the bunch and closest to the vanilla main game.

Old World Blues is legitimately funny but like Dead Money, it's too restrictive.

Lonesome Road is meh.

Probably about 6/10 overall.

Robochobo

Charisma is a dump stat through any playthrough. As in, when picking your SPECIAL stats, Charisma can be set to 1 because it's essentially useless. There's only 1, possibly 2 CHA checks in the entire game, including DLC. You can level your speech and barter skill too 100 just fine without it. The only real use it has is increasing your followers health and damage.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Get the companion named Boone if you want to make exploration in the Mojave a cake-walk. That guy is a one man wrecking crew.

Charisma is a dump stat through any playthrough. As in, when picking your SPECIAL stats, Charisma can be set to 1 because it's essentially useless. There's only 1, possibly 2 CHA checks in the entire game, including DLC. You can level your speech and barter skill too 100 just fine without it. The only real use it has is increasing your followers health and damage.

This is good to know. I probably would’ve pumped charisma thinking it would open up more dialogue stuff.

Robochobo

This is good to know. I probably would’ve pumped charisma thinking it would open up more dialogue stuff.
No problem. If you ever need or want to temporarily increase your CHA you can just make mentats/party mentants then drink alcohol and it'll boost it up to 8 or 9 easily.

Top Bottom