• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening has sold 1.79 million copies as of Dec. 2014

I'm not someone who thinks romance is the main factor in why the games were successful, but if story was part of what made Awakening successful, holy hell is the industry in a bad place.

My problem with relationship systems is that they fundamentally suck in nearly every game. And then of course as people have mentioned, you have the issue of the waifu/shipping discussion having taken over discussion in FE:A's case.

I agree with your premise, that relationships in games tend to be lackluster when they are a gameplay component, and sex or admittance of love is usually the end followed by absolutely nothing afterwards.

I don't really expect this to change in FE:If since it's kind of a limitation of the current support system, where there's no progression past S rank.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Congrats on Awakening for selling so well. Loved the game in all honesty, and can't wait for IF (the return to more complicated strategies, etc. in Nohr look interesting).

I dunno, I just don't see why they can't end the series and then start a new one with the new gameplay. At least that way fans don't see their series change into something they hate and fans of the newer games would still have gotten the games they love.

So you wanted Fire Emblem to end and then have them release Awakening as the next Codename Steam? It's a waste of time and energy. People just have to realize things change and franchises evolve. Resident Evil changed, GTA changed, Fallout changed, etc. You just have to deal with it. If you don't like the new style, find games that are more to your taste rather than wishing death on the franchise whose direction has changed. It's just very immature behavior in general.

Also Awakening isn't an example that the series changed to become "Sonic Boom" quality or something. It was reinvention of sorts that managed to save the franchise as a whole. And in all honesty it kept the spirit much more than the franchises than some of the franchises I mentioned above. Still I feel like the Fire Emblem developers are plenty aware of that and are trying to make Nohr more like the traditional games while changing some things up a bit.

Also, for all the "dating-sim" comments. The internet discussions about a game represent a small fraction of the userbase actually playing the game. That's all.

Jims

I can understand that to some people the genre was not casual friendly, but "cold and business-like"? Holy hell. Final Fantasy Tactics? Tactics Ogre? Jeanne d'Arc?

Maybe it's more of a Fire Emblem issue than a general SRPG issue... I was speaking more broadly about the gameplay specifically and how optimizing units is very stats-focused and cap-focused. A lot of the high-level Fire Emblem discussion always seems to revolve around characters' availability, stats, movement, etc. I feel like the heavier emphasis on supports in Awakening makes me think about their pairing more often and makes me invest slightly more in them as characters. It feels a little less like advanced chess.

xaszatm

Banned
I dunno, I just don't see why they can't end the series and then start a new one with the new gameplay. At least that way fans don't see their series change into something they hate and fans of the newer games would still have gotten the games they love.

Because if they did, Fire Emblem fans would be complaining how that game was so similar to Fire Emblem, why didn't they call it that? Nintendo can't win here.

OT: I'm super happy that Fire Emblem Awakening sold well and that Fire Emblem If seems to be addressing some of my complaints about that game. Now if only Advanced Wars could get revived from the dead.

Kinsei

Banned
Congrats on Awakening for selling so well. Loved the game in all honesty, and can't wait for IF (the return to more complicated strategies, etc. in Nohr look interesting).

So you wanted Fire Emblem to end and then have them release Awakening as the next Codename Steam? It's a waste of time and energy. People just have to realize things change and franchises evolve. Resident Evil changed, GTA changed, Fallout changed, etc. You just have to deal with it. If you don't like the new style, find games that are more to your taste rather than wishing death on the franchise whose direction has changed. It's just very immature behavior in general.

Also Awakening isn't an example that the series changed to become "Sonic Boom" quality or something. It was reinvention of sorts that managed to save the franchise as a whole. And in all honesty it kept the spirit much more than the franchises than some of the franchises I mentioned above. Still I feel like the Fire Emblem developers are plenty aware of that and are trying to make Nohr more like the traditional games while changing some things up a bit.

Also, for all the "dating-sim" comments. The internet discussions about a game represent a small fraction of the userbase actually playing the game. That's all.

The majority of people that played Awakening never played a FE before. It would have sold well regardless of whether or not the FE name was slapped on it. There are no other games with the same setting and gameplay as the FE games I like. It's not like you've got a whole lot of choice in this genre.

The changes they've made to Nohr from Awakening aren't enough based on what they've said and shown.

A small part of the userbase that IS are clearly trying to pander to.

Well deserved, Awakening is a great game. (Despite some dumbing down of various FE aspects, hopefully to be remedied in If.)

Also, personally I think the support/marriage aspects played a huge role in why Awakening was so popular. It seems pretty obvious to me. I just hope that in future the system is more inclusive. (ala gay romantic supports, etc.)

That's wonderful! FE is definitely one of my favourite series, so it's great to see Awakening do well. Awakening did make a lot of changes, but the series's core appeal is watching your units interact and grow and Awakening's flashy battle scenes and silly characters makes doing that fun. I think the game's a bit on the indulgent side, but I like hearing about and watching new FE fans have fun with it. I'm hopeful that some of them will explore the other great games in the series.

Anyway, people are acting like the FE series was tanking before Awakening, but that's not really true. I'm looking at the sales Serenes Forest has got (near the bottom of the page) for the series in Japan, and it looks like most FE games starting from FE1 typically did around 250,000 to 300,000 units. So the series had its niche, but judging from the Developer's comments, they seemed afraid of going back to FE9 and 10 level sales. (which I feel are from the Gamecube's smaller consumer base + RD being a sequel) And since FE12 sold less than FE11, sub 200,000 sales was a possibility for the next installment. Luckily, Awakening turned out to be a real breakout hit.

The majority of people that played Awakening never played a FE before. It would have sold well regardless of whether or not the FE name was slapped on it. There are no other games with the same setting and gameplay as the FE games I like. It's not like you've got a whole lot of choice in this genre.

The changes they've made to Nohr from Awakening aren't enough based on what they've said and shown.

A small part of the userbase that IS are clearly trying to pander to.

I find that highly unlikely. The majority probably played FE7, let alone any of the other western releases. There isn't a 100% overlap. Many who played Sacred Stones for example probably never played Path of Radiance and vice versa. Speaking of Sacred Stones, millions of people got it as a free download for being a 3DS ambassador.

You're being pretty selfish here. If Awakening isn't your thing, that's fine, but what you're trying to push is that it shouldn't exist or that it should have been called something else, as if your opinion of the game trumps everyone who did like it. The Fire Emblem series does not belong to you exclusively and not liking one game doesn't give you a ticket to moan about who is or isn't a real Fire Emblem fan and what is or isn't a real Fire Emblem game.

KHlover

Banned
I find that highly unlikely. The majority probably played FE7, let alone any of the other western releases.

The western part of Fire Emblem Awakening sales probably equals the western sales of all other Fire Emblem games combined. Those games likely DO have a huge overlap since Fire Emblem was a total niche series before the release of Awakening, if it were otherwise the NDS entries would have sold much better. Taking all that into consideration I wouldn't be suprised if 70% - 80% of all people who bought Awakening in the west never had played a previous Fire Emblem before.

Clefargle

The western part of Fire Emblem Awakening sales probably equals the western sales of all other Fire Emblem games combined. Those games likely DO have a huge overlap since Fire Emblem was a total niche series before the release of Awakening, if it were otherwise the NDS entries would have sold much better. Taking all that into consideration I wouldn't be suprised if 70% - 80% of all people who bought Awakening in the west never had played a previous Fire Emblem before.

You guys keep moving the goalpost. First it's: "majority never played anothe FE game" now it's: "Majority in the west". As if new player bases are a bad thing, Awakening helped the franchise by keeping it alive. Sounds like some of you would prefer to see it die off. Awakening is not a perfect game, but it adds a lot of options that were not there in the previous games that allow other players to access it. I don't know what is so difficult about changing some settings to have it the way you like it. But whatever, the whining entitlement a lot of posters here are displaying is just sad. I could never bring myself to decry any game selling well, even if I don't like it.

KHlover

Banned
You guys keep moving the goalpost. First it's: "majority never played anothe FE game" now it's: "Majority in the west". As if new player bases are a bad thing, Awakening helped the franchise by keeping it alive. Sounds like some of you would prefer to see it die off. Awakening is not a perfect game, but it adds a lot of options that were not there in the previous games that allow other players to access it. I don't know what is so difficult about changing some settings to have it the way you like it. But whatever, the whining entitlement a lot of posters here are displaying is just sad. I could never bring myself to decry any game selling well, even if I don't like it.

I never said the majority of Awakening players being new players is a bad thing, did I? Hell, Fire Emblem Awakening was my first Fire Emblem as well. One of the Top5 3DS games for sure.

Edit: Also, the guy I was replying to actually stated that most players of FE:A IN THE WEST played FE7 before, which is why my post is about western sales. Did you even read my post or are you just outraged on principle?

Clefargle

He was replying to someone else, you were replying to him. Didn't mean to mischaracterize you, if you don't agree with the post he was referring to sorry. I'm not outraged but this has been a common gripe among a lot of FE fans on here. Do you think it's a good thing?

Kinsei

Banned

There was no way to get a classic FE experience by changing the settings.The maps and objectives were just not up to snuff and you had to avoid the new systems (like pair up) that IS intended for you to use in order to do that.

There's nothing wrong with newcomers to the series. I personally would have had no problems if they had just introduced casual mode and added in a difficulty akin to Awakening's normal mode for them.

I don't see the problem with wanting a series name not to be tarnished while still having the game others love made but under a different name. It would have still had the same word of mouth + release drought combo that led to Awakening's massive sales anyways.

Do you feel the same way about people that think things like the last Metroid game should have been Prime 3 and the last Paper Mario should have been thousand Year Door?

Edit: I do admit that my dislike of the fanbase is probably what's driven me from this game is bad to "this game shouldn;t exist as a FE game". I really can't stand the majority of the vocal Awakening fans.

I don't see the problem with wanting a series name not to be tarnished while still having the game others love made but under a different name. It would have still had the same word of mouth + release drought combo that led to Awakening's massive sales anyways.
I just don't see the problem with critiquing the game. People seem to be unwilling to see critiques of the tactics/strategy, characters, romance and story. Any critique of those is seen as an attack on the game that "saved the series." So how dare we critique it! I can think of pretty in-depth critiques of all of those. I enjoyed the game. But like any game, it's not above reproach.

Such a great game, it deserves the sales and praise. What was truly great about this entry was the ease of transition into the series that this opened up to people that never gave the series a thought one way or another.

Kriken

Do you feel the same way about people that think things like the last Metroid game should have been Prime 3 and the last Paper Mario should have been thousand Year Door?

No and no. Just like Melee should not have been the last Smash Bros or Mario 64 being the last Mario game

NeonZ

It's hard to know in the West, but, at least in Japan, the first season of Awakening DLC was reported as selling very well back then, and it was mostly based on low budget fanservice for the previous FE games. It's hard to believe that it was people who knew nothing about the previous FE games buying those.

It's hard to know in the West, but, at least in Japan, the first season of Awakening DLC was reported as selling very well back then, and it was mostly based on low budget fanservice for the previous FE games. It's hard to believe that it was people who knew nothing about the previous FE games buying those.
From what I remember, I don't remember those DLC being shockingly cheap or something. It would definitely be hard to think that new fans were buying those en masse. Either old fans were still heavily involved or FE:A made some amazing convert fans.

Top Bottom