• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

I will buy a final physical copy of Conquest from my local mom and pop sometime during the day. The first playthrough is going to be Hard/Classic.

I'll be posting here once I've played several chapters and have a core team developed. It will be fascinating to see how everyone approaches the game.

EDIT: I made an attempt to order the Special Edition, but I don't know if it will be successful. Either way, I'm still playing Conquest first.

Shun

How were they different originally?

Summarized to prevent accidental spoilers.

Male
Was all about stalking until the confession and reincarnation reveal and confession.

Female
Was about their tea party until the reincarnation reveal and confession

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

Okay seems like there's a load of information that's out, I think I probably get why Shara and Niles was panned a bit more.

There were apparently always unisex.

False alarm. I guess my memory was a bit off.

Uh.....Unless the various translations I've read are all wrong/misinformed, there was, at one point, a difference.

Or unless I'm misunderstanding your point of reference with 'Niles'.

PBalfredo

How did the same-sex marriage end up shaking out? Can the player do that and still get the Morgan-equivalent child unit?

Rhajat is only recruitable in Birthright, right?

Shun

She is in Birthright and in Revelation.

Let's keep children discussion behind spoilers to prevent someone complaining later on

Uh.....Unless the various translations I've read are all wrong/misinformed, there was, at one point, a difference.

Or unless I'm misunderstanding your point of reference with 'Niles'.

With both

I could've sworn there was something about Shara wanting to be born a man for Female Corrin but I guess not?

There's some rumbling about Pegasus Knights being Sky Knights now though.

Shun

We answered this earlier.

"Sky Knight" isn't "Pegasus Knight". "Pegasus Knight" in Fates is the name of a Minerva-exclusive class, that we probably won't even see here due to no Cipher tie ins, unless the 2nd season of DLC happens. The standard pegasus fighting class had a different name in the Japanese version, which is why they also gave it a different name here.

The other complaints seem to overlook that 8-4 took similar creative liberties with renaming DLC, for example - see "Smash Brethren".

This is true.

A lot of the Nohr exclusive classes have the more traditional series names for classes and weapons.

The Hoshido classes had their own names and own skills for classes and weapons.

Warp would be called 七難即滅
Healing items were 祭
Pegasus Knight was 天馬武者
Swordmaster was 剣聖

The list goes on with the Hoshido names because the unique names for old classes such as pegasus knight or sword fighter or archer were changed to fit with the Japanese theme of Hoshido.

Nohr still has your Great Knights and Paladins and what not.

The translation change treehouse made was suitable and in line with the changes the Japanese made for the Hoshido terms.

We answered this earlier.

This is true.

A lot of the Nohr exclusive classes have the more traditional series names for classes and weapons.

The Hoshido classes had their own names and own skills for classes and weapons.

Warp would be called 七難即滅
Healing items were 祭
Pegasus Knight was 天馬武者
Swordmaster was 剣聖

The list goes on with the Hoshido names because the unique names for old classes such as pegasus knight or sword fighter or archer were changed to fit with the Japanese theme of Hoshido.

Nohr still has your Great Knights and Paladins and what not.

The translation change treehouse made was suitable and in line with the changes the Japanese made for the Hoshido terms.

Okay nice.

Makes sense.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
With both

I could've sworn there was something about Shara wanting to be born a man for Female Corrin but I guess not?

Not sure I'm understanding you correctly, but most of the Hoshido classes have different names in this game, while the Nohr classes are more faithful to the series traditions. The name for Pegasus Knights was different n the Japanese version as well; that's not a result of localization.

EDIT: Beaten.

Pau

This is not actually true at all in Fire Emblem. With a few exceptions, units that are good are useful from recruitment. Unless a character has a unique trait that others don't (for instance, having strong 1-2 range combat and durability at the same time) then the investment to make the strong can just be applied to a unit who is already strong to make them better.
I'm thinking of characters from classes like archers, pegasus knights, and magic users who I definitely remember babysitting the first few maps after recruiting them. They aren't useless, but they can be pretty fragile. Very different from later on when you can put them in the front lines without worrying too much.

I'm thinking of characters from classes like archers, pegasus knights, and magic users who I definitely remember babysitting the first few maps after recruiting them. They aren't useless, but they can be pretty fragile. Very different from later on when you can put them in the front lines without worrying too much.

if archers and mages aren't good at base they're generally trash

fliers not so much but that's because they're fliers and thus get priority for everything (and without giving them said priority...they're not all that good either)

Birthright Digital Download: 12,467 Blocks
Conquest Digital Download: 12,544 Blocks

Conquest Path as DLC for Birthright: 864 Blocks
Birthright Path as DLC for Conquest: 787 Blocks

This is actually far more SD card friendly than I imagined. I thought it would've been a massive wreck to my card if I didn't get the SE, but it's not much if I just had the card. Fascinating.

The really shove the "Nohr is bad and you should feel bad for joining" schtick down your throat in the first 6 chapters haha. Makes me wanna play birthright or revelations instead

Pau

if archers and mages aren't good at base they're generally trash

fliers not so much but that's because they're fliers and thus get priority for everything (and without giving them said priority...they're not all that good either)
*shrugs*

A lot of the characters (Rolf, Mist, Donnel, Amelia, etc.) I've liked using the most I had to babysit for a little bit. Didn't think they were trash but whatever. My favorite part about Fire Emblem is taking characters that seem or start out weak and having them become unstoppable later on. I get that not everyone wants to play that way though.

Korigama

Birthright Digital Download: 12,467 Blocks
Conquest Digital Download: 12,544 Blocks

Conquest Path as DLC for Birthright: 864 Blocks
Birthright Path as DLC for Conquest: 787 Blocks

This is actually far more SD card friendly than I imagined. I thought it would've been a massive wreck to my card if I didn't get the SE, but it's not much if I just had the card. Fascinating.
Hm, still not planning on going with the standard version if getting an SE doesn't pan out, but this is very useful information nonetheless (and would work to my advantage if I were to change my mind, since I did picture going with the Conquest cart and Birthright unlock in such a case). Appreciated.

Shun

No, you cannot.

Epilogue spoilers Conquest and Revelation.

Conquest you end up adopting kids and running an orphanage.

Well technically in Revelation
you can

They just can't fight as a unit. They are adopted "not kana" "not nina" that get cannot be deployed on the map.

Subject to change in the English localization but that's what it was in the import.

Just got past Ch. 6; mild, not really spoilers
lol they really emphasize the whole dark side thing if you choose Conquest.

Even though I've played FE 6/7/8/9/10/13 I'm lame and chose Normal/Classic/Birthright. Wanna ease myself into any new gameplay mechanics and story stuff before I go into hard/classic/conquest.

Don't forget to download the free DLC when you get to Ch. 6!

*shrugs*

A lot of the characters (Rolf, Mist, Donnel, Amelia, etc.) I've liked using the most I had to babysit for a little bit. Didn't think they were trash but whatever. My favorite part about Fire Emblem is taking characters that seem or start out weak and having them become unstoppable later on. I get that not everyone wants to play that way though.
Play however you want, but if someone is struggling and needs advice, "don't use bad characters" is what I'd tell them.

I'm no stranger to using bad units even though I like them. I've used the female myrmidon in basically every game regardless of if they suck (and they often do).

Just got past Ch. 6; mild, not really spoilers
lol they really emphasize the whole dark side thing if you choose Conquest.

Even though I've played FE 6/7/8/9/10/13 I'm lame and chose Normal/Classic/Birthright. Wanna ease myself into any new gameplay mechanics and story stuff before I go into hard/classic/conquest.

Don't forget to download the free DLC when you get to Ch. 6!
What is the DLC?

So if I get Birthright physical, and download Conquest, the download will be only ~800 blocks. So Conquest + Revelations as a download, while having Birthright physical, will only take around ~2000 blocks.

If so my 4gb cars I got with My N3Ds will be fine.

Just made avatar-sized FE logos to add to your avatar to indicate which game you're playing.

gwosAzW.png

oEQaNEK.png

2iRvgDO.png

Shun

Also since the game is out now, today is actually Felicia and Flora's birthdays in game.

When you get the chance to talk to them, you will get a gift and some stats boosts for the day.

Shun

is it true if some character died in a fight, it wouldn't come back to live no matter what?

I'm not sure what you're asking are you talking in terms of Casual vs Classic mode or a game specific spoiler.

Classic your units do not come back, Casual your units come back after the battle.

Game Spoiler
Yes it is possible to miss a child and miss a unit because they die in the story.

Playing through Conquest right now, and
I kind of find it HILARIOUS how much they shove the "NOHR IS EVIL" narrative down your throat up until Chapter 6. Enemy pair units make things interesting at least.

Is the special edition in the wild at all, or at least an unboxing style article on some website?

I really wanna see what the case/cover looks like.

Edit: Googled and there were media unboxings weeks ago lol. Birthright on the front, Conquest on the back, 'Fire Emblem Fates' on the spine. Cool.

Gestahl

I'm an Awakening babby

Holy fuck Nohr Hard Chapter 8 is hard

Don't even know how many resets I've done yet

You should have a freeze staff at this point, that's your best bet against the soldiers for the bonus. Otherwise I found ignoring the northeast and going straight west to work out well speedwise.

Wensih

So... I'm planning on picking up a physical copy of Birthright and Conquest for $67 by taking advantage of the Prime Discount. My question is how will Revelations work? Will it be tied to one of the carts? Will it be tied to the system and can be accessed by both carts?

Cindro

Remember how nuts trying to find a copy of Awakening at launch was?

I didn't preorder either one of these, so hopefully I can walk into a store and get birthright this afternoon.

Assuming that goes well, this weekend is going to rule!

So... I'm planning on picking up a physical copy of Birthright and Conquest for $67 by taking advantage of the Prime Discount. My question is how will Revelations work? Will it be tied to one of the carts? Will it be tied to the system and can be accessed by both carts?
Its tied to the cart.

OP said:
What is the benefit of having 1 cartridge and the other 2 routes downloaded vs 2 cartridges?
-Well it is cheaper for one and you get to have every route on the go. But the biggest draw is that there are exclusive bonuses to those who have all 3 routes downloaded onto the cart save. You get access to the Dread Knight and Dark Flier Class through Reclass Seals and you also get stat enhancers such as Boots. You still get bonus items for owning 2 of the routes, but if you want all of it, get all 3!

Top Bottom