• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Draft For Resident Evil Film Reboot Is Horror, Focusing On Roots.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.relyonhorror.com/latest...evil-film-reboot-is-horror-focusing-on-roots/

During an interview discussing the second Death Note film for Netflix, DiscussingFilm asked writer Greg Russo about his work on the upcoming Resident Evil film reboot, announced last year. He completed a draft for the new film, and his thoughts are promising.

"I worked on the reboot for about a year and then Producer James Wan came in, my involvement on that project has kind of concluded, so I’m not sure what they’ll really do with it, I submitted my draft to the producers and they were happy with it and ultimately they’ll do what they will with the property but I’m currently not involved with that film.​

Obviously, I’m a huge fan of the franchise so to work on that was a lot of fun. And they’ve made six films before so when you come back to that and reboot it, you wanna do something different and not just rehash. For me it was very clear-cut that I wanted to go back and make it scary again like a horror film in terms of the classic James Wan style so that was the pitch, going back and looking what made the games scary in the first place so yeah, Resident Evil 7 was a bit of a touchstone for my draft.​

…not to shame the original film franchise that was made, I think that did very well, when you create a fresh reboot and look at the over the top action of the Paul Anderson franchise, it was fun and really cool but at the end of the day, for me as a fan of the original game franchise, I always considered the franchise to be horror at the forefront and action as a secondary feature. So it just made sense to go back to the horror roots."​

xviper

aptLzCA.png

Roni

Gold Member
Here's hoping they nail this. The first movie wasn't THAT bad. Apocalypse was the one where shit really went sideways.

Zewp

Not content with making an entire series of shitty movies and leaving it at that, eh?

Last edited:
Here's hoping they nail this. The first movie wasn't THAT bad. Apocalypse was the one where shit really went sideways.

Agreed. First movie was a “it’s fun despite its flaws” deal. The direction the series went became so nonsensical it really killed my interest in the movies.

These can be great movies if they do it right.

I would be cool if the plot followed the first game in the spencer mansion, along with an insane family stalking them in the house in addition to the monsters and zombies. Did you know that the Romero script had the computer server room thingy protected by the laser room that made it into the final film?

Last edited:

Agreed, the first movie was decent, Apocalypse on the other hand was Uwe Boll level terrible, dang is that movie dire.

I would be cool if the plot followed the first game in the spencer mansion, along with an insane family stalking them in the house in addition to the monsters and zombies. Did you know that the Romero script had the computer server room thingy protected by the laser room that made it into the final film?

A combination of the original game and RE7 is what I picture as well and I bet that's exactly what it's going to be.

Basically imagine if the Bakers lived in the Spencer Mansion.

Mr Hyde

James Wan attached as director would be a dream. That man knows horror. Unfortunately it only looks like he´s the producer. Hopefully he has some influence over the direction of the movie.

I wish the sets would look like this. All poorly lit and dark and gothic. Imagine a main character climbing down that staircase all bloody and wounded. If its James Wan producing i bet Patrick Wilson will have a role.
dark-gothic-staircase-designs.jpg

Last edited:

Doom85

Finally hoping we'll see a RE film about the actual characters like Jill, Chris, Leon, Claire, Barry, etc., not a ridiculously long-running fanfiction about the director's OC Mary Sue (played by his girlfriend and later wife, how convenient!) being the center of the whole universe while all the canon characters exist just to basically be her cheerleaders (Wesker was the only somewhat exempt from this and even he got the middle finger in the final movie). God, I hate those movies, seriously imagine if other adaptations tried such a stunt (hey kids, excited to see a Harry Potter movie series! Well, just a heads up, Harry, Ron, and Hermoine aren't quite the leads like you'd expect, instead we have Alice who becomes the best wizard ever, is the chosen one, all the other students even Harry are really just there to make Alice look cool, every single one of Voldemort's plans revolve entirely around her, in fact she is all seven Horcruxes!) When Barry died after being introduced way late in the series and barely getting any screentime before dying, I could just feel the director's hand coming out of the screen with a big middle finger pointed at me. At least a few of my favorites in the series like Rebecca, Billy, and Sheva didn't show up so they were spared from this shitshow.

I'm all for a proper reboot and yeah focusing more on horror would be appreciated but I'm even more concerned about making it about the actual RE characters. And since the writer mentioned RE 7, I hope that's just an influence. Now I thought all of the Bakers were great, that's not the issue, but Ethan I found dull and I honestly didn't care about Mia at all. I want it to start at the mansion, have Jill, Chris, Barry, and Rebecca as the leads, PLEASE.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Finally hoping we'll see a RE film about the actual characters like Jill, Chris, Leon, Claire, Barry, etc., not a ridiculously long-running fanfiction about the director's OC Mary Sue (played by his girlfriend and later wife, how convenient!) being the center of the whole universe while all the canon characters exist just to basically be her cheerleaders (Wesker was the only somewhat exempt from this and even he got the middle finger in the final movie). God, I hate those movies, seriously imagine if other adaptations tried such a stunt (hey kids, excited to see a Harry Potter movie series! Well, just a heads up, Harry, Ron, and Hermoine aren't quite the leads like you'd expect, instead we have Alice who becomes the best wizard ever, is the chosen one, all the other students even Harry are really just there to make Alice look cool, every single one of Voldemort's plans revolve entirely around her, in fact she is all seven Horcruxes!) When Barry died after being introduced way late in the series and barely getting any screentime before dying, I could just feel the director's hand coming out of the screen with a big middle finger pointed at me. At least a few of my favorites in the series like Rebecca, Billy, and Sheva didn't show up so they were spared from this shitshow.

I'm all for a proper reboot and yeah focusing more on horror would be appreciated but I'm even more concerned about making it about the actual RE characters. And since the writer mentioned RE 7, I hope that's just an influence. Now I thought all of the Bakers were great, that's not the issue, but Ethan I found dull and I honestly didn't care about Mia at all. I want it to start at the mansion, have Jill, Chris, Barry, and Rebecca as the leads, PLEASE.
TDL:
Resident Evil was hijacked by Alice

danielberg

Neophyte
TDL:
Resident Evil was hijacked by Alice
Resident evils characters and story are a mess i dont care about it, they could do it with a complete new cast of characters and it would still work maybe even work better than trying to go with the games characters like jill or stupid wesker.. its not the characters its the environment and making a good horror zombie movie.

Domisto

I'm all in favour of this. The film series turned garbage in the second one. The first was only okay. It should have died way sooner. Someone should take another stab at this and hopefully give us one really good movie. It's not as if they don't have the material to work with.

Yeah the first movie wasn't really that bad. The George Romero movie probably would have been worse. I dunno. It was like a cheezy cross between aliens and jurassic park.

Here is the Romero script if anyone is in for a long read.
http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/resident_evil_romero.html
Laser Room scene that Paul WS Anderson included:

There are ELECTRONIC HUMS.. CLICKS and CHATTERS emit from
the switchers, PINGS from the heaters, all combining to fray
everyone's nerves. Light beams dance nervously as the
commandos start out across the dark and frightening space.

CHRIS
(Softly to Jill) This is the heart
of the whole place. They've got to
have it... protected somehow.

Two things happen, almost at once. First.. .CHRIS notices
ELECTRIC EYES... on all of the columns.

CHRIS (cont.)
DUCK! HIT THE DECK!

Second. A ZOMBIE lurches around a corner and BITES a chunk
out of MARINI'S face. JILL whirls around to shoot at the
zombie, but Chris grabs her and FLATTENS her on the floor.

Marini, staggering, screaming in pain, triggers the first
electric eye. LASER BEAMS shoot in all directions, forming
a tight NET. Chris and Jill are barely beneath them.
Many of the other troopers are hit by the beams... which do
no immediate harm... but wherever they make contact, small
CYLINDERS above the electric eyes begin to HISS.

CHRIS (cont.)
FOR CHRISSAKE, GET DOWN!

The commandos duck under the laser beams... just in time.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
James Wan attached as director would be a dream. That man knows horror. Unfortunately it only looks like he´s the producer. Hopefully he has some influence over the direction of the movie.
I know. A Wan-directed RE movie would awesome.

Unfortunately hes probably gonna be busy making shitty F&F and Aquaman paycheck movies.

Mr Hyde

Unfortunately hes probably gonna be busy making shitty F&F and Aquaman paycheck movies.

Yeah, it seems he´s going full out mainstream now since the success of Fast and the Furious. I hope he returns to horror and not think of it as a poor man´s genre. He´s too good to be doing crappy DC-movies nobody cares for. But if he enjoys it who am I to judge? He made it big in Hollywood so congratulations, I guess.

Top Bottom