• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First image of Moby Dick Studio's (The Phantom Pain) CEO Joakim Mogren

Konosuke

It's not a shadow mistake, it's a lighting change. Maybe his ipad or a cue they played to have him do that shocked reaction (they have to prep a camera for that since obviously this is all scripted). He's not CG. You even see Keighley looking down toward the ipad as they start to talk about it, he's talking to a person.

Editing. I imagine that having Keighley looking down at an object out of frame isn't that hard to do.

Dawg

I think the expectations you guys have, are a bit over the top indeed. Sure, Kojima's games/engine have always had some nice stuff, but thinking that Joakim Mogren is CG is just... he looks too realistic for that to be true.

Don't forget, you guys keep looking at the same "small" .gif over and over looking for details because you THINK it's cg. Your mind will play tricks with you if you really believe something.

Look at this bigger image for example. There's a lot of details in his face that cg would miss. The small red dot under his lips for example. And the cracks in his lips because they're dry.

cginawhsxzo.png

Makai

You guys have lost your minds. VFX studios can't even make fake humans this convincing with eyes or mouth movement and you think Kojima Productions managed this for a fake interview? The fuck?

Part of what makes it convincing is most of his face is covered up. ;)

DrBo42

yeah more like LA Noire tech but i mean that was done years ago, im sure Fox Engine can do whatever by today's standards

I'd love for that to be true for the future of games but I just don't believe it. Not yet.

Part of what makes it convincing is most of his face is covered up. ;)
But they left the most difficult parts to animate uncovered. The eyes and the mouth are the tell, always.

This interview was not filmed with Geoff and "Joakim" in the same room, or, it was not filmed simultaneously with two cameras.

When Joakim gets out his iPad, Geoff starts commenting on the pictures. He says "those look like some new screens" before the screenshot even appears. He also recognised the whale before it's in full view.

You also never see both of them in the same frame together.

The lighting doesn't seem consistent between Geoff and Joakim. Geoff's face is much more harshly lit on one side. One would expect the same on Joakim's face, but it's much softer. This could be achieved in the same environment so it's not conclusive. I believe the other stuff is however.

Grief.exe

Hardly. Fox Engine at work:

Fox-Engine-vs-Reality.jpg

Fox Engine with next gen consoles will probably yield better results as well.

No.

Fox Engine is running on PCs far more powerful than next gen consoles.

Hell, you can build a PC now for less than $1000 that is significantly more powerful than next gen consoles. And that is not even factoring in new GPUs or CPUs out this year.

javac

This interview was not filmed with Geoff and "Joakim" in the same room, or, it was not filmed simultaneously with two cameras.

When Joakim gets out his iPad, Geoff starts commenting on the pictures. He says "those look like some new screens" before the screenshot even appears. He also recognised the whale before it's in full view.

You also never see both of them in the same frame together.

Dorito Pope knows what's going to happen before it does, he transcends time and space.

KiraXD

do we know if this website belongs to moby dick studios?

http://thephantompain.com/

it has this image posted to it: (notice "pain" "Lumin" and "portion" have a light red (pink) hue... and the number (a time maybe?)

of course it may not have ANYTHING to do with it... i dont know.

phantom.jpg

Maaaan, this is reminding me waaaay too much of the Nintendo Revolution hype/speculation leading up to the reveal.

All the crazies are crawling out from under their rocks. Lol.

What can I say but...

Nintendo_on--article_image.jpg

Man I feel old...

Mr. RHC

Excellent, haha!
Damn, way too late on this.

i46dtar47t5Cs.gif

If they'd added rring! sound too I would have lost it completely.

Mogren: You may ask me three questions but pick wisely...
Keighley: Are you the CEO of Moby Dick Studios?
Mogren: Yes.
Keighley: Really?
Mogren: Yes.
Keighley: Reaaaaly?
Mogren: Yes. Your three questions are up, I hope they help you on your journey.
GAF: But....
Mogren: Thank you come again!
GAF: But I...
Mogren: Thank you come again!

And you good sir, almost nailed it.

Angry Fork

So many negative nancey's in this thread, jesus. Just enjoy the ride, we know it's dumb. We will get stuff at GDC so would you rather have nothing at all, just a press release saying "we'll be at GDC", or this fun little side story that gets everyone involved and generates hype.

So many negative nancey's in this thread, jesus. Just enjoy the ride, we know it's dumb. We will get stuff at GDC so would you rather have nothing at all, just a press release saying "we'll be at GDC", or this fun little side story that gets everyone involved and generates hype.

Calling someone a nancy is pretty mysogonist.

Just watched the interview again. Joakim is portrayed by a totally real person. There is too much life and emotion in his eyes for it to be CG. His lips move as they should and the dialogue is way too natural sounding. Pretty funny interview! Metal Gear Solid 5 looks crazy!

Top Bottom