• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at Cruis'n Redline (Nintendo/Raw Thrills) arcade game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKekBTxJ5Ms

It looks like a Raw Thrills arcade racing game. Which are all basically Cruis'n games so go figure.

This was originally called Cruis'n Adventure. It was loketested in May but no footage of the game has appeared until now. The most interesting part of this whole thing is Nintendo owning the Cruis'n IP and them lending it out to Raw Thrills, which was founded by Cruis'n creator Eugene Jarvis, and is pretty much staffed by ex-Midway arcade people.

You probably won't see this appear on a Nintendo console for a very long time, if at all.

casiopao

Welp. This is interesting....... why won't ninty port the game to Wii U here? At least we will have another extra arcade style racing game.T_T I miss 90'sT_T

Meesh

Well this feels all left field crazy cool! Yeah, Cruis'n NX would probably scratch a few itches, do want.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The big thing here is that Raw Thrills ditched the PIN keypads for a card based system similar to Initial D and Wangan Midnight. When I asked about that, they said they didn't do a card system for cost reasons, both on their end and on the operators end. Then they added an optional card system to Big Buck HD, I have that card in my wallet. Wonder what made them change their minds. Operator demand? People weren't using the keypads?

They're also marketing them as collectible trading cards. Maybe that's the key? 🤔

I also see some new cars there, like the Corvette C7, Hummer H4X Prototype, SSC Ultimate Aero, Saleen S5S Raptor Prototype, and a Lamborghini Veneno.

This is exciting. First Killer Instinct, now the other Ultra 64 game is making a comeback. Can't wait.

Celine

Boosting in crusisin? This is not the cruisin I remember.
The Cruis'n series got spiritual sequels by Raw Thrills in the form of the Fast and the Furious arcade games (that's when the boost was introduced).
In fact the console port for Wii of the original Fast and Furious game was called Cruis'n after Midway lost the F&F license.

Game loooks pretty good actually, breath of fresh air compared to most racers of the last 10 years...

Developers have lost their train of simple, yet fun games super hard.

The guy in the video makes no sense at all, why didn't he just play it

Hopefully this turns out good and preserves the wacky fun of the original titles, and it also comes to consoles in the future (presumably the NX, and it's ideally a faithful port; and not a dumpster fire like Cruis'n Wii). There aren't much arcade racers nowadays, let alone over-the-top wacky ones like the Cruis'n series. USA on the N64 was a pretty shoddy port from what I've read and is pretty limited in its design, but that game still has its moments IMO. World on the N64 however was a pretty solid game in my book, and from what I've read the best port of the bunch. Never played Exotica, though I always desired to.

OnPoint

A console release would do a lot to wash the taste of this:

dtYbkkL.jpg

out of people's mouths.

Maybe NX?

It looks fine. Most Raw Thrill games I've seen seem very straightforward and simple, but this once actually looks a little fun. Cool to see they somehow got the rights to make a new one, I recall Cruisin' USA eating up a lot of my time as a kid.

I'm seeing "NX port" thrown around a lot, and... I guess? Like, for a 20$ eShop title, that'd be fine, as long as they rework some things to make it feel more like a console game.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
So Nintendo bought the IP when Midway died?

Nintendo always owned the "Cruisin" trademark. Then the games themselves were copyrighted to a company called Nintendo - Midway Inc. A company listed as a Nintendo subsidiary for many years.

Midway of course published the arcade games, and Nintendo the home console versions until the later versions - which were just licensed out.

that was in 2007. Raw Thrills made ton of games after that (Terminator Salvation, H2O Overdrive, Aliens Armageddon, that Batman chase-HQ clone, Jurassic Park etc. etc. I'm leaving the Big Buck Hunter and novelty redemption games), none of which were ever ported.

H2Overdrive is the particularly painful one as not only is it the true successor to Hydro Thunder but it also looks awesome AND it's an incredibly rare machine too.

bumpkin

I wish some publisher/developer would bring some of Raw Thrills' recent arcade games to home consoles. The Terminator: Savation and Jurassic Park ones are awesome.

naitosan

Saw Terminator and Alien arcade game from Raw Thrill in movie theatre near me. Looked pretty amazing, wish Raw Thrill could at least consider porting some of their games like H2Overdrive to consoles, they'd make some serious money if priced right (around PSN/eShop/Arcade Live price).

I have a dream that the NX will launch with an arcade racer as a graphical showcase, any chance a new Cruis'n could be such a title?

MisterHero

Cruisn' USA looks like a simulator next to this. Doubt Redline will have a better soundtrack than this

ooh ah ooh ahahahahahah ooh ah ooh YEEEAAHHHH

jwhit28

Are the Rush series and Cruis'n part of the same lineage? I know they both were published by Midway. I never played much Cruis'n but I'd love some more floaty Rush style games.

Top Bottom