• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at the Superman suit logo in James Gunn’s ‘SUPERMAN’

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Shocked 80S GIF

Very thin on the bottom so it doesn't really resemble an "S". It looks like he took the kingdom come logo and made the black parts yellow.

Oh man on one had Superman is my boy and one of my favorite heroes along with Batman and Spider-Man, on the other hand James Gunn is the writer/director…

Doom85

I have faith in him

It helps that he also clearly read comics. He cites Grant Morrison’s Batman as being what they’re basing The Brave and the Bold mostly on, as well as the Supergirl movie sounding like just a full adaptation of Tom King’s Supergirl mini-series. He’s covering both well known and more cult favorite characters and stories from the comics. He’s also said they’re aiming for 2 movies and 2 shows per year which is a pretty reasonable pace. He also said a project will not begin filming until the script is finalized (that might sound obvious, but due to release schedules, sometimes films do begin filming with the script still being worked on, this isn’t exclusive to superhero films or even modern films).

Apparently when making the Guardians of the Galaxy films, he actually tried to include this pretty obscure character, Bug, who wasn’t even a Guardian prior to 2014 to my knowledge, but Marvel didn’t have the rights to that particular character as Hasbro did due to some specific rights history. That’s how deep Gunn’s knowledge on comics goes.

ManaByte

Apparently when making the Guardians of the Galaxy films, he actually tried to include this pretty obscure character, Bug, who wasn’t even a Guardian prior to 2014 to my knowledge, but Marvel didn’t have the rights to that particular character as Hasbro did due to some specific rights history. That’s how deep Gunn’s knowledge on comics goes
Bug is part of the Micronauts which Hasbro owns.

Granted she made it from krypton cloth. So maybe it is kypton textiles.

Ok NERD :p (Just kidding I'm a huge nerd myself)

happy youtube GIF by Hyper RPG

It helps that he also clearly read comics. He cites Grant Morrison’s Batman as being what they’re basing The Brave and the Bold mostly on, as well as the Supergirl movie sounding like just a full adaptation of Tom King’s Supergirl mini-series. He’s covering both well known and more cult favorite characters and stories from the comics. He’s also said they’re aiming for 2 movies and 2 shows per year which is a pretty reasonable pace. He also said a project will not begin filming until the script is finalized (that might sound obvious, but due to release schedules, sometimes films do begin filming with the script still being worked on, this isn’t exclusive to superhero films or even modern films).

Apparently when making the Guardians of the Galaxy films, he actually tried to include this pretty obscure character, Bug, who wasn’t even a Guardian prior to 2014 to my knowledge, but Marvel didn’t have the rights to that particular character as Hasbro did due to some specific rights history. That’s how deep Gunn’s knowledge on comics goes.

I'm not a fan of most of James Gunn stuff personally. The only movie I liked that was directed by him is Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2. But I feel like he knows what he's doing when it comes to making his own comic cinematic universe. As much as I don't like Zaslav for different reasons. He said that since DC Studios have their A list characters that the plan is to slowly make the films and make sure they connect to an overarching massive story like the MCU did with each Avengers film plus the Infinity War. They are taking the MCU approach which is good. Also like how James Gunn is making sure that each film has a different tone which is a good thing. Since one of the cons to the MCU is that most of the time the movies and shows all feel the same. Also Gunn even said that some of the stuff is gonna to be aimed at adults which is a good thing. There's a reason why The Boys is so successful.

As for Marvel, I would say MCU wise The Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War and Endgame were all serious in tone most of the time. But that was during Phase 1 - 3. But I think going forward MCU has to diversify their content and more importantly do what DCU is doing so far. Casting actors that look like the character. Also not sure if Gunn is going to put his personal politics in it like he did with Peacemaker Season 1. Which I Hated. So there's that. One of Marvel Studios biggest missteps is going full woke the whole of Phase 4 and somewhat with Phase 5. There are other factors like unfinished/horrible looking CGI, weak scripts, too much in two years which contributed to superhero fatigue, letting the blue hairs sabotage the MCU by adding woke politics to it, etc. As for more adult stuff in the MCU, I admit to liking Echo for the first two to three episodes but I personally didn't like the last episode. They played it safe and that's one of the reasons why people have an issue with MCU. Yes the MCU is making Daredevil Born Again an adult show, but is going to be Light R or Hard R? If it's not Hard R than that's ridiculous, I don't like the movie Joker, but it still made a billion and that movie was a Hard R. MCU needs to get with the times and start making equally as much stuff for adults as they do for kids. And that means where some shows and movies don't have an actual happy ending and there's some choices that have negative consequences that stick. I hope Bob Iger and Kevin Fiege are looking at what DC is doing and start to take notice. Competition is good for the industry, breeds better products personally.

Also James Gunn being a fan is a huge factor into why I think there's a good possibility that his DCU might be successful. That's another issue with Phase 4 and 5 so far. Most of the people who worked on those projects weren't fans. Why do you think I love Doctor Strange so much? (And yes I loved the second Doctor Strange movie too) The director of the first movie is a huge fan of the comics and he made a valid point about Studio Mandated Releases. But I hope the MCU doesn't drag their feet when it comes to certain stuff that's been perceived as negative and actually make a change. Thor Love And Thunder especially really pissed me off since I love the Gorr The God Butcher storyline in the comics and felt that was squandered for Taika bullshit.

My only issue with Gunn DCU is that he's adding Videogames and I think books to the mix of stuff that's gonna to be connected. Just stick with connecting the movies, shows and cartoons together. Going past that is a bit too much personally

Compared to what MCU has in it's slate, I'm much more interested in Gunn DCU slate

MUST SEE

Superman Legacy
The Authority
Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow
Swamp Thing
Lanterns

MAYBE

Batman The Brave And The Bold (Let's just say Matt Reeves The Batman Universe has me spoiled)
Creature Commander
Waller
Booster Gold

SKIP

Peacemaker Season 2
Paradise Lost (I'm tired of Wonder Woman and especially her fangirls)

Compare that with the current announced slate with MCU

MUST SEE

Deadpool 3
Fantastic Four

MAYBE

Captain America 4
The Thunderbolts (The cast all look to have the same powersets which is just super soldiers. But if the rumors are true and it's Hyperion that's the main villain. That would make me more interested in the movie. And with that rumored Hyperion casting actually looking like him, even more interesting. I don't mind Steven Yeun as an actor but I'm glad he bowed out of the role.)

SKIP

I skipped What If Season 2 since I didn't like the first season and the visual style turned me off
X-Men 97 (Rogue being nerfed in the ASS department, the animation, looking at the people who are making it having the blue hair warning signs, yeah no thanks)
Anything Marvel Animation has been instant skip. Which is a shame since I wish they were of better quality

I have always been a bigger Marvel/MCU fan than I have been of DC but even I'm impressed with Gunn DCU plans if he's able to pull it off. I heard there's another announcement coming soon that's gonna to further detail Gunn's DCU. There's just a lot more stuff I'm interested in when it comes to DCU announcements. Lot of the MCU stuff that's been announced has been boring and cooker cutter in comparison. I might be wrong but I'm looking forward to it

Last edited:

Lambogenie

Just use the basic/common S, seriously. It's not like it's been used in any of the recent movies or shows outside of dumb cameos. Everyone keeps wanting to use some modern equivalent. Fuck those. Save them for after you can launch a classic look of the suit.

Not saying it's a bad S, but just stop avoiding the common one.

Same for the same old tired damn texturing. Do all the superheroes go to the same shop?

LmpwZw

Last edited:

ManaByte

Just use the basic/common S, seriously. It's not like it's been used in any of the recent movies or shows outside of dumb cameos. Everyone keeps wanting to use some modern equivalent. Fuck those. Save them for after you can launch a classic look of the suit.

People believe the Avengers: Endgame for the DCU is going to be Kingdom Come, which is why this logo is being used.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Stupid question. Does anyone know where this is being filmed?

Are they currently ‘on location’ somewhere in Europe?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's a whole cinematic universe reboot... Where have you been? There's been multiple threads about it here over the last year!
Musta missed it. There's so many superhero movies I dont keep track as I dont watch them often unless fam or friends pull into watching them at a theatre.

But I liked the last Superman. Only problem was the final fight went on way too long. The fight should had been less than half the length.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Musta missed it. There's so many superhero movies I dont keep track as I dont watch them often unless fam or friends pull into watching them at a theatre.

But I liked the last Superman. Only problem was the final fight went on way too long. The fight should had been less than half the length.

There are not that many superhero movies released a year. How many RomComs are released per year? How many comedies? How many dramas? How many period pieces? How many biopics? How many sci-fi? How many ?

Y'all complain about JUST THIS specific genre ... Especially if they're popular. Let's breakdown 2023:

Rj2g848.jpg

Superhero movies would be in the action genre... There are usually 6 or 7 max movies per year in theaters between DC, Marvel and Sony (which are more or less marvel movies but we don't count them as the same).

So if y'all are going to say "There's so many X movies I can't keep track", looks like it's dramatic movies you shouldn't be able to keep track of.

But I digress ...

You're not really interested in this aspect of geek culture. I can understand that. And I liked the Man of Steel movie, too. The last fight scene was kinda long. But that was now over a decade ago. And that Superman only lasted (in theaters) for about 4 years... 2013 to 2017. That's not counting his cameo in Black Adam in 2022 which lasted all of 30 seconds and then the Monday after that movie comes out, the new DC bosses come are officially appointed and that spells the death of the DCEU (which it was never officially named). Now the (officially named) DCU is premiering in theaters next summer with Superman. I'm excited about it!

Last edited:
This better be GOOD, because I am pretty tired of these movies. I don't even watch them anymore, making them ripe for cringe-binging, later on.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
So is the villain gonna be woke, and will he supaman dat hoe? Stay tuned to find out.

Top Bottom