• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fixing 97% of Vita's Wi-Fi problems - Solution inside

Danj

Is it just me or are Vita firmware downloads realllllly slow? I tried unticking this before doing one, but it doesn't seem to have had much effect, do you have to reboot afterward or something?

hesido

Is it just me or are Vita firmware downloads realllllly slow? I tried unticking this before doing one, but it doesn't seem to have had much effect, do you have to reboot afterward or something?

You shouldn't have to, but why not. But I'd check my router's security settings if I were you.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
It used to take me hours to download a game, even if it was under a gig. Now it's way faster. Just downloaded a 2gb demo in about half an hour.

Thank you! I would lose connection every five minutes making remote play unusable. Since removing this setting, I've been connected for the past hour and its been flawless!

hesido

So as long as it says AES in the Wifi settings I'm good, right?

Yeah, sure. Checking for interfering signals and selecting an appropriate channel would be the next step (or the first step before any, actually) if problems continue, but that's not Vita specific and a general troubleshooting for any wi-fi (not like the inappropriate titled setting or the fact that Vita specifically has problems with TKIP, which as far as I know Sony doesn't acknowledge anywhere at all)

LAA

Thanks a lot for the use WiFi in save mode tip! That is a poorly worded setting indeed, rushed to try remote play immediately! While before I tried this, I thought it did look smoother than before, but not as smooth as the TV, now it really does look as smooth! It's great!

muteki

Try changing your routers wi-fi security to AES (WPA2) if possible. OP loves you.

I went back and verified that I am using AES WPA2, oh well. At this point I'm mostly hoping that if/when I get a vita slim that it will have better performance, and make do for now. I could also move my router around a bit as well, just annoying when I don't have to make any considerations for other devices.

RSP

Direct connect experience:

- Right in front of the PS4: Perfect, 60fps, holy shit.
- 10 feet to the left of my PS4: No connection.

wtf is wrong with this thing ... don't even know if its the PS4 or the Vita.

Went from 0-1 bar to a solid 3 after hours of fucking around with my network equipment and finally just putting up with the wiipad like range of direct connection.

It blows my mind that people at Sony had to have been reading endless complaints and accusations of cheap ass parts and shitty design for the last 3 years but they were so disinterested in Vita so as not to even issue a quick comment to the press, reword the setting, or just change the default to something that would benefit most users.

In most UI design where the factory presets are conceived the goal is to be in touch with some basic expectations a customer will have, and try to present the product in the best light to the widest number of people. This encourages good word of mouth and reduces returns by buyer who assume it's just broken or that Sony is run by lazy/greedy fucks who are totally out of touch with consumers.

"Thanks for buying our amazing new handheld. Be prepared for a new level of graphics and control which when connected to a PS4 offers great new ways to game"*

****This statement is contingent on if you can find the games in stores or instead are willing to pitch a tent near your router and camp there while the glacial download stutters and disconnects struggling to transfer the digital game you paid full retail directly to us. But remember before you get the privilege to pay us more money for saving us money you will first need to acquire a insultingly overpriced almost-microsd card we specifically created to take advantage of our very best customers as cynically and overtly as possible.

Oh and after you swallow all of that yet still decide that the platform is so good even our total callus dismissal of common feedback and refusal to see you as more than the totally strategically abandoned redheaded step-kids of PS4 owners we now court, there is still more.

We know customers exist who will still desire to spend piles of money filling up our their 32GB cards and left wanting more. To these most valued customers we must simply admit we just don't feel like sending a few boxes of 64GB cards able to last last for years while reaping huge profits. The reason is simply having a guy FedEx them so you can buy them on your continent instead of putting the hassle of and cost of importing on you would go against the way we have built our Vita business model.

In short dear Vita fans and human wallets we look forward to emptying and disguarding:

Fuck you, jump through this hoop, give us money, now go do our product distribution for us so you can give us more money, and yes you can still go fuck yourself. Thanks for choosing the PSVita!

Nominating this for post of the year.

animax

why would they even give the option of a weaker wifi connection - consumers already accept that their battery will drain more when they have wifi on. Speed always trumps longevity!

hesido

Turns out Virgin Media were having broadband problems yesterday, I rebooted my router and it was fine after that.

Oh, glad it worked out. Remote play at 60fps is a nice way to stress test the local connection quality of course.

hesido

Has anyone kept track of how much does this affect battery life? Want to update the OP with it but got no darn time to do it myself.

hesido

I really hope turning it off reduces battery time, because otherwise Sony would be absolutely incompetent to include that option in the first place, to screw up so many people's Vita experience for nothing. Still, for me to accept such a power saving option being there, it should probably affect it quite a bit because the trade off (which is absolutely shitty wi-fi) is so big.

One has to test it doing similar things (remote playing is a good candidate because it would provide similar power consumption between tests), and it should be someone who still can do remote play with that option on :)

hesido

It obviously would affect battery life :p Give Sony some credit.

I mean, it's even under "power saving settings."

Lol, yeah. I'll probably have to take this testing task myself sometime but I have time to play long stretches or at least predictable breaks.

I've noticed that starting the Remote Play app disables the Power Save Wi-Fi setting.

Don't believe me? Try this from a PC:

Start -> Run -> cmd.exe -> ping -t 192.168.x.x

192.168.x.x = your Vita's local IP address

Top Bottom