• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Marlins sign Giancarlo Stanton to record 13 year/$325 million contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer...-deal-is-in-place-325m-13-years-early-opt-out

Marlins' Stanton mega deal is in place: $325M, 13 years, early opt out
November 17, 2014 6:44 am PT

Superstar outfielder Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins now have a deal in place for a record $325 million over a record 13 years, sources connected to the team say. That landmark contract keeps the beloved Stanton in Miami at least through his 20s and maybe until he's 38, and brings credibility to a franchise that's seemed cash-strapped and beleaguered at times but appears to be on the upswing now.

Stanton, 25, will receive a crucial early opt-out clause in addition to a no-trade provision, according to those sources. According to the terms of this deal, which is the largest in North American sports history -- eclipsing Miami product Alex Rodriguez's $275-million Yankees contract -- Stanton will be able to opt out not long after he turns 30, giving him a chance to set a second contractual record, as A-Rod did at age 32, via his opt out seven years ago.

CBSSports.com last Friday reported the sides were on the verge of completing this record deal, and while there is still no official word from the team, and perhaps nothing's been signed yet, there is a clear understanding the deal will be finalized and Stanton will remain a Marlin for at least the next five or six years. FOXSports.com first reported the sides were talking about a deal for $300 million or more.

The sides at one point last week were discussing a possible opt-out after six years, but it seemed likely it might have ended up being a five-year opt-out, giving him the ability to become a free agent at 30 (or 31 at the latest). Before landing at $325 million over 13 years, the sides also had been discussing a 12-year, $300-million deal.

A press conference to celebrate this shocker of a contract is expected to be held in the middle or later part of this coming week, perhaps Wednesday or Thursday. Stanton, who splits time between his native Los Angeles and Miami, was seen at the Florida State-Miami football game Saturday night, though when quizzed by Miami-based reporters he didn't explain his reason for being in Miami. Officially, the word was he is in Miami a lot now and was simply having a night out with former Marlins teammate Ricky Nolasco.

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria didn't respond to a message, and Stanton's agent Joel Wolfe declined to comment.

The deal is quite obviously a home run for Stanton, who led the National League in homers with 37 despite missing the final couple weeks of the season after being hit in the face by a fastball from Brewers righthander Mike Fiers (and also led with 299 total bases, a .555 slugging percentage and 24 intentional walks). But it is also a homer for the Marlins, who have been straining to gain credibility after several seasons with unusually low payrolls, losing records and weak attendance despite playing in beautiful new Marlins Park the last three seasons.

How out of the norm is this deal for the Marlins? Well, they previously had a puny $8 million in total future payroll obligations (2016 or later), according to mlbtraderumors.com, by far the lowest in the majors, and now that post-2015 total will rise by more than $300 million (and by close to 40 times) once this deal is officially in the books. The Marlins, in fact, entered the 2014 season with baseball's second lowest payroll ahead of only Houston, at $47 million, with Stanton accounting for the highest salary on the team, at $6.5 million.

People close to Stanton consistently have made clear that the most important thing to him is to have a chance to win perennially, and with other fine young players on the team, such as outfielders Christian Yelich and Marcell Ozuna, shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria and especially superstar starting pitcher Jose Fernandez, the near-term future looks promising, at the least. The Marlins have said they will try to lock up these other young stars, though word is they have low expectations for being able to do so in Fernandez's case.

Of course, it didn't hurt that the Marlins are giving Stanton the richest contract in baseball history, beating A-Rod's record deal by a neat $50 million (though the embattled Rodriguez still has a chance to earn some of his $30 million in home run milestone plateaus). Rodriguez currently holds the record for biggest baseball signing, though Tigers superstar Miguel Cabrera's total guarantee hit $292 million after he signed a $248-million, eight-year extension in spring training.

Sometimes for that reason Cabrera's $292-million guarantee is listed as the biggest deal, though by those standards Rodriguez's deal technically could be listed as $443 million since it was in a way an extension on his original $252-million following his own opt-out of the Rangers deal after seven years.

Stanton will have benefit of being able to opt out not long after turning 30, perhaps allowing him to set a second contractual record assuming his career path continues the way it's going. It appears likely he'll be able to opt out after the 2019 season, and one extra reason beyond his outsized talent that he may have a chance at another contractual record is that it happens to be one year before Angels superstar Mike Trout will have the opportunity to hit free agency, following the 2020 season.

Unlike with Reyes and Buehrle, Stanton will be able to control his locale, via a rare Marlins no-trade provision. The team wouldn't even offer a no-trade clause to alltime great Albert Pujols when they were unsuccessfully chasing him as a free agent three winters ago and offering him $200-million plus, and according to the Miami Herald, the only Marlins player ever to have a no-trade clause in this regime was Javier Vazquez, a Miami resident who must have insisted upon it.

DMczaf

People close to Stanton consistently have made clear that the most important thing to him is to have a chance to win perennially

Well, I would consider making $25M a year for 13 years "winning perennially".

bigkrev

Wow, and a NTC.

I'm terrified to think what he would have gotten if he had actually reached the open market.

CrankyJay

Banned
Wow, and a NTC.

I'm terrified to think what he would have gotten if he had actually reached the open market.

Less would be my guess.

Aren't the Marlins a complete clusterfuck of an organization? Didn't they build a stadium using taxpayer dollars that is pretty much generating no revenues?

Well worth it. If he continues to beast he can opt out and sign another monster deal right in the middle of his prime. Not sure what is in it for the Marlins to be honest. Usually these early extensions make sense if a player takes a little less than market value but I guess they felt they had to buy back some good will with players.

You know who's got to feel like shit seeing these young players like Trout, Stanton, Posey and Kershaw sign monster extensions is Andrew McCutchen. Dude is just as good as any of them and will be making like 1/3 as much as they will through most of his prime. His agent has got to be kicking himself.

Kill3r7

That's a ridiculous contract but, as a Yankees Fan, I will take this opportunity to welcome Stanton to the 2016 Yankees.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
This contract makes the Mike Trout extension last year look like a bargain.

This is the first thing I thought of. Trout is, literally, the best player I've seen play in the last 15 years probably. He's just great at everything. And I mean overall player. Some great hitters out there.

dork

Banned
Winning constantly is important

So let's stay with the Marlins

This makes sense.

haha.

Yeah I dont get this deal for either one of them...1 guy isnt going to take you to the playoffs...they pretty much just put all their eggs in one basket. He has nobody else around him. And i mean i guess i wouldnt turn down $325 million dollars...but if i could have 100 million and play on a contending team i would take that first

Stanton, 25, will receive a crucial early opt-out clause in addition to a no-trade provision, according to those sources. According to the terms of this deal, which is the largest in North American sports history -- eclipsing Miami product Alex Rodriguez's $275-million Yankees contract -- Stanton will be able to opt out not long after he turns 30, giving him a chance to set a second contractual record, as A-Rod did at age 32, via his opt out seven years ago.

Unlike with Reyes and Buehrle, Stanton will be able to control his locale, via a rare Marlins no-trade provision. The team wouldn't even offer a no-trade clause to alltime great Albert Pujols when they were unsuccessfully chasing him as a free agent three winters ago and offering him $200-million plus, and according to the Miami Herald, the only Marlins player ever to have a no-trade clause in this regime was Javier Vazquez, a Miami resident who must have insisted upon it.

I want the lawyers and agents he has on his side that worked that deal out.

I feel for the Marlin fanbase. Win 2 rings and still your owner is a thief.

XiaNaphryz

Trout is, literally, the best player I've seen play in the last 15 years probably. He's just great at everything. And I mean overall player. Some great hitters out there.

He's still not Bonds-level, juice or no juice. He may get there, but he's not there yet.

Well worth it. If he continues to beast he can opt out and sign another monster deal right in the middle of his prime. Not sure what is in it for the Marlins to be honest. Usually these early extensions make sense if a player takes a little less than market value but I guess they felt they had to buy back some good will with players.
They're probably hoping he vastly outperforms his contract during the first half of his prime before opting out so some other team pays for his decline years. Still a massive gamble if Stanton gets hurt or falls off a cliff performance-wise before the opt out happens.

Kuroyume

Banned
Meanwhile atheletes in the NFL are busting their brains up for less money contracts that are mostly not guaranteed... Highschool and college atheletes need to open their eyes up.

XiaNaphryz

Fixed that for you.

Wait, he's THE Marlins fan?

Dude, how was it to meet E-40?

ENhfUne.png

Tripon

Less would be my guess.

Aren't the Marlins a complete clusterfuck of an organization? Didn't they build a stadium using taxpayer dollars that is pretty much generating no revenues?
Nah, there's tons of money in baseball right now due to crazy TV rights deals. Those TV rights deal wouldn't have dried up until Stanton signed and by then, he would have gotten a high profile team like the Red Sox or Yankees to bid up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom