• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Time To End All This Doom And Gloom Over Sony And The PlayStation

Sony may be struggling, but the company and its PlayStation brand are a long ways from calling it quits.

It’s the hip thing to do, apparently, to predict the end of the PlayStation brand or claim that because the PS3 sold a couple million fewer units than the Xbox 360 (despite its shorter overall run) that the next console from Sony will surely be its last or will come stillborn.

The latest in this long chain of gloom is a piece from Joel Taveras at DualShockers.

Taveras argues that it’s time Sony got out of the hardware business and started focusing on its software.

All those great PlayStation exclusives could get some extra love and Sony would publish all its games on, presumably, Microsoft and Nintendo hardware (and the PC.)

This would put an end to one third of the pesky exclusivity. Xbox owners the world over could finally play God of War and Uncharted.

Of course, Sony exiting the hardware business might cripple their ability to continue making great titles. It might lead to their exit from video games altogether.

Or it might just make Sony the next Sega. You remember them. They used to make consoles, too. Now…

There is a steady spate of articles predicting Sony’s decline and demise, and maybe these are prescient and true. But I very much doubt it.

Sony did quite well with its PS3, selling nearly as many units as Microsoft in a shorter span of time and releasing a healthy number of exclusive IPs, with more on the way.

With the next PlayStation just around the corner, and with more quality Vita games in the works, it’s hard to see Sony in as weak a position as so many believe.

Nor is it likely that Sony would acquire Gaikai and then ditch its hardware. Even though the cloud service will apparently stream games on non-Sony devices, it seems likely that there will be advantages to using Sony devices in some form or another. If Sony can seriously push the quality of games through a combination of new and updated hardware plus some server-side juice, they could make a big splash in the next-gen console wars.

Abandoning that ground, on the other hand, would almost certainly be a disaster. Sony would need to compete on software alone and would suddenly be competing with dozens of other publishers in a turbulent market.

Of course, nobody can predict the future including your humble narrator. But I don’t see doom and gloom when I look at the console market. I think rumors of the deaths of consoles are greatly exaggerated, and the myriad hopes placed in the F2P and MMO models to be extremely overblown.

I’ve been wrong before, but I have a good feeling that Sony will pull through this – bumped and bruised, perhaps, but intact.

They may just need to ditch their TV business in the process, or find some new way to make that division profitable again.

button

As needs to be said every time there's a thread with Forbes in the subject line: Forbes is not a monolithic outlet, people. Kain is little more than an independent blogger.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Forbes contributor articles aren't the same as those written by magazine staff. They're basically blog posts.

ThaGuy

You can replace Sony with Nintendo and you would have the Nintendo is doomed articles from some years back.

Basically what I'm getting at is that no one knows whats going to happen. Take this article with a grain of salt.

Mindlog

Please stop using the word, doom.
It's played out.
It's as dumb as posting any Joker .gif or using the word 'bro' derisively.

It degrades us all.

In conclusion:
They may just need to ditch their TV business in the process, or find some new way to make that division profitable again.
Great contribution.

Kyon

Banned
Does Frobes eva lie?

Seethe

c3ed7b23.gif

Guess Forbes needed some clicks today.

Nobody on planet fucking earth is calling for Sony to call it quits in the PlayStation business. Come the fuck on. People may not think the Vita will ever really take off, but that's not the same thing as saying PlayStation brand = Dreamcast.

massoluk

Banned
You can replace Sony with Nintendo and you would have the Nintendo is doomed articles from some years back.

Basically what I'm getting at is that no one knows whats going to happen. Take this article with a grain of salt.

Not that I want to fuel the flame, but I think there were a shit tons more of media was saying Nintendo should leave hardware, and they were doing better than Sony now.

Guess Forbes needed some clicks today.

Nobody on planet fucking earth is calling for Sony to call it quits in the PlayStation business. Come the fuck on. People may not think the Vita will ever really take off, but that's not the same thing as saying PlayStation brand = Dreamcast.

I actually see this A LOT on GAF.

Radec

People who says Sony will drop the PS brand or go third party needs to just quit gaming or talk about it.

KingJ2002

LMAO... wow... i never thought i'd read this

Sony is a hardware company and the PlayStation has brought them huge success. What Sony needs to do is focus on fleshing out gaikai and eventually absorbing the brand into the PlayStation brand... and out course grow PSN.

i definitely believe that the future of gaming is going to be hardware independent (Sony clearly experimented with the andriod OS) and Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, EA & Valve will be big players in creating these online gaming networks.

but for sony to just bow out... LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

yeah... we need to stop talking like this.

They do need to get out of the handheld market. It's a place that they should've never went in the first place. They were like a well oiled machine when their sole focus was on the console market.

gryz

Banned
stop posting forbes contributor "articles" and attributing them to forbes. especially the ones from this guy.

I actually see this A LOT on GAF.

Quotes?

If any mention has been made about Sony quitting, it's whether they will have to quit, or if they will decide to quit, or even that they should give up on the Vita.

Not "Sony should just give up on the Playstation brand and exit the business."

Jhriad

The latest in this long chain of gloom is a piece from Joel Taveras at DualShockers.

What the hell is DualShockers?

Taveras argues that it’s time Sony got out of the hardware business and started focusing on its software.

Nevermind. Whatever the hell it was it's now dead to me.

Snakeyes

Quotes?

If any mention has been made about Sony quitting, it's whether they will have to quit, or if they will decide to quit, or even that they should give up on the Vita.

That's probably because the latter would get you banned.

Quotes?

Yes, I see this. Directly stated and not so subtly implied. And no, I'm not doing some massive search through the annals of GAF to find these posters.

Top Bottom