• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forma.8, Out February 23 on PS4, PSVita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC, Mac and Linux.

Loudninja

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXsD9iv56s0

Hi PlayStation gamers, it's Mauro Fanelli from indie studio MixedBag here, and I'm super proud to finally announce (Drum roll...) the release date for our one-of-a-kind metroidvania, Forma.8!

Forma.8 is a project we're really attached to. It's the first game we started working on when MixedBag was only a two-person team, and it was our dream project from the get go: a huge 2D action adventure full of clever gameplay ideas and presented in a striking, visual style.

Needless to say, development took more time than we anticipated. We announced the game in 2013, aiming to launch in 2014. It's now 2017. Go figure. We had ups and downs. We worked on and launched other games in the meantime. The team grew in size as the project scope increased. We added a lot of stuff. We scrapped a lot of stuff, always aiming to deliver ”the best game possible."

We poured our hearts and souls into Forma.8, and we are so happy to announce that our dream game will finally be available on PlayStation Store on February 23 for both PS4 and PS Vita. Fully supporting cross buy, of course.
As the small exploration probe forma.8, you're stranded alone on the surface of an alien planet. Separated from your companions by accident, you have a life or death mission to accomplish: find and recover a lost, powerful energy source before it's too late. And not everything is what it seems...

Forma.8 offers all the gameplay hooks of the classic metroidvania formula: a huge world to explore, a unique control system, power ups to collect for unlocking new zones, enemies to fight, puzzles to solve, a cryptic story, and huge bosses. All presented with unique visuals — using a combination of lovely hand drawn vector graphics and 3D characters to bring the world of Forma.8 to life with a targeted silky smooth 60 frames per second.
Last but not least, we're partnering again with the awesome folks at Limited Run Games to bring you a super limited physical edition of Forma.8 on both PS4 and PS Vita! The physical version will be available in very limited quantities at a later date and will be sold exclusively through their website.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017...et-in-forma-8-out-february-23-on-ps4-ps-vita/

It was a long journey but we are so happy on how the game turned out!

forma.8 is currently in QA with all the console manufacturer and a late February lauch should be possible.

We'll share the release date as soon as we have it fixed.
We'll launch forma.8 at the same time on PS4, PSVita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC, Mac and Linux.
iOS and N3DS version will follow a bit later.

Mixedbag are awesome devs. Although I wasn't a massive fan of Futuridium, they've put loadsa work into this release and it looks great. Gonna buy on principle.

Hope their work on Wheels of Aurelia for Vita works out!

Skyrise

Hi everyone, MixedBag here. :)

So happy to finally ship forma.8, it's been a long journey (we started working on it back in 2012!). We decided in the end to ship o a lot of platforms at the same time, and doing so as a small indie team has been quite hard. But we made it. :)

If you have any question, feel free to ask!

Hi everyone, MixedBag here. :)

So happy to finally ship forma.8, it's been a long journey (we started working on it back in 2012!). We decided in the end to ship o a lot of platforms at the same time, and doing so as a small indie team has been quite hard. But we made it. :)

If you have any question, feel free to ask!

What was your biggest influence on the style and gameplay of Forma 8?

vermadas

One interesting tidbit: I've never played Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet! :)

You're not missing much. The art was fantastic but the game itself was mediocre. I liked it enough to finish it because I'm a sucker for metroidvanias. As such, I'll definitely be picking this up. Forma.8 looks great :)

phanphare

Banned
oh man, I've been looking forward to this game. hopefully it comes to Switch, would love to check it out. don't think I'm going to be buying anymore digital games for Wii U.

Agent X

Excellent news! I liked Futuridium EP Deluxe, so I have confidence that this will be a great game as well.

Skyrise, could you tell us what the price will be?

wouwie

Looking forward to it. Hopefully the long wait will have been worth it.

I was surprised at the type of music used in the launch trailer. It isn't something i would associate with this game.

I would say Another World, one of our favourite game. And Metroid, of course. :)

That's awesome that Another World is one of your favourite games. And it's more awesome that I'll be able to get both Another World and a game inspired by it on my Vita :)

Skyrise

Excellent news! I liked Futuridium EP Deluxe, so I have confidence that this will be a great game as well.

Skyrise, could you tell us what the price will be?

Thanks! :)
It'll be priced 14.99$ / € on all platforms, with various preorder / launch discount!

Skyrise

Looking forward to it. Hopefully the long wait will have been worth it.

I was surprised at the type of music used in the launch trailer. It isn't something i would associate with this game.

Really hope you'll enjoy the game!

In game music is quite different.

wouwie

So this is finally coming out in a few days :)

Fingers crossed that it will be great. Hopefully there will be a few reviews out on release date, which seems to be a problem these days for a lot of smaller games. Also, being inspired by Another World sounds good. Loved that game on my Amiga.

Top Bottom