• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Nintendo CEO and Mariners owner Hiroshi Yamauchi won't attend game in Tokyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNatural

My Member!
He's never attended a game, ever. And the Mariners actually open right down the street from him, but .. he must keep the streak alive! The only MLB owner who's never seen his team play live:

Something for Seattle Mariners fans to consider as they prepare for Wednesday’s season opener against the Oakland A’s in Tokyo: Team owner Hiroshi Yamauchi never has seen the team play in person.

And despite facing only a two-hour drive from his home in Kyoto, Japan, he won’t be there to see the Mariners when they play in Tokyo on Wednesday and Thursday.

“He’ll be watching on TV,” Howard Lincoln, the Mariners’ chairman and CEO, told Sportspress Northwest. “Given all the years he’s been involved with the Mariners, he’s really looking forward to see the team play. He’s very excited.”

When asked if health was a reason for Yamauchi’s decision not to attend the two games in Tokyo, Lincoln didn’t offer many details.

“He didn’t give me a reason, he just indicated to me he’s not going to be here,” Lincoln told Sportspress Northwest. “Quite frankly, a man of his age and stature doesn’t have to explain why he’s not here.”

Yamauchi was instrumental in the Mariners’ signing of Ichiro Suzuki, who was a star in Japan before arriving in Major League Baseball in 2001. Ichiro was asked about Yamauchi upon his arrival in Japan this week.

“Yes, of course, I would like to play (in front of Yamauchi),” Ichiro said recently through his interpreter. “At the same time, I don’t want to put pressure on his back. That’s a tough question.”

Yamauchi, 84, has been the Mariners’ majority owner since 1992.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/sto...-owner-hiroshi-yamauchi-tokyo-never-seen-game

JPKellams

LOL. 2 hour drive from Kyoto to Tokyo.... Maybe in a Bugatti. The Shinkansen takes 2h15 minutes. It's an 6-7 hour drive for a very elderly man. I don't begrudge him not attending.

TheMan

will howard lincoln be yamauchi's bitch until he dies? ( i mean until lincoln dies...yamauchi truly has no beginning and no end)

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
This guy is a fucking boss

He doesn't give a flying fuck about games either does he? How much he's played?

Kazerei

Banned
I love Yamauchi's audacity. He ran a videogame company without ever playing a videogame. He bought a baseball team without ever attending a baseball game. Fuck yeah man.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Are people confusing the 2 Howards? Like the 2 Coreys?

I picture him somewhere, keeping close tabs on Miyamoto's hobbies.

CFMOORE!

Are people confusing the 2 Howards? Like the 2 Coreys?

I picture him somewhere, keeping close tabs on Miyamoto's hobbies.

which other howard? stringer? the sony guy. lincoln is OG Nintendo Exec too. unless this is some other sports dude with a coincidentally same name

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
which other howard? stringer? the sony guy. lincoln is OG Nintendo Exec too. unless this is some other sports dude with a coincidentally same name

Howard Phillips.

Howard_Phillips.jpg

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I love Yamauchi's audacity. He ran a videogame company without ever playing a videogame. He bought a baseball team without ever attending a baseball game. Fuck yeah man.
Wait, he seriously never played a game? Not even to test it out before it goes out and their investment is out of their hands? If true, he's the biggest boss ever, but I imagine that one is exaggerated.

ChiTownBuffalo

No mention if he's ever used this product:

Nintendo_love_tester.jpg

Nintendo-LoveTester.jpg

I really hope those balls are hand held.

At the Nintendo Love Hotel.

ChiTownBuffalo

TheNatural

My Member!
what? in the nintendo power mags it always said his name was howard lincoln.

I don't know what people are arguing, yeah Howard Lincoln was with Nintendo too, they're one in the same.

Howard Charles Lincoln (born February 14, 1940) is an American lawyer and businessman, known primarily for being the former chairman of Nintendo of America and the current Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the Seattle Mariners baseball team, representing absentee majority owner Hiroshi Yamauchi. (In August 2004, Yamauchi's shares were transferred to Nintendo as an estate planning measure, but as he remains chairman emeritus of Nintendo's board of directors, he is still considered the team's owner.)

ChiTownBuffalo

I don't know what people are arguing, yeah Howard Lincoln was with Nintendo too, they're one in the same.

Howard Charles Lincoln (born February 14, 1940) is an American lawyer and businessman, known primarily for being the former chairman of Nintendo of America and the current Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the Seattle Mariners baseball team, representing absentee majority owner Hiroshi Yamauchi. (In August 2004, Yamauchi's shares were transferred to Nintendo as an estate planning measure, but as he remains chairman emeritus of Nintendo's board of directors, he is still considered the team's owner.)

I think people assumed the Howard in Howard and Nester was Howard Lincoln and not Howard Phillips.

TheNatural

My Member!
I think people assumed the Howard in Howard and Nester was Howard Lincoln and not Howard Phillips.

Oh. Well I'm just saying yeah this is the former NOA guy running the Mariners. Hell, Nintendo still technically owns the Mariners and old man Yamauichi still techically owns Nintendo. So not shocking Nintendo guys and ex Nintendo guys are heavily involved with the Mariners still.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Since when is Kyoto a 2 hour drive froM Tokyo???

And he was planning to see this match the first time it was suppose to happen 6 year ago or whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom