• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

I picked up a Xbox360 from Amazon's Warehouse Deals. When I create a new profile will it still have all my liveries (uploaded on my storefront) and any money I've made selling liveries since I sold off my other Xbox360 and Forza 4? I know all my career progress will be gone, but I'm okay with that.

DD

I'm in love with this design I've found:

NSX1.jpg

NSX2.jpg

NSX3.jpg

NSX4.jpg

NSX5.jpg

Seanspeed

Banned
So whats up with the races we were talking about?

@DD - you've found the Marlboro livery, made famous by Mclaren. I see it on everything, so I guess its lost its wonder for me, but its definitely an excellent livery. Very fitting on a Honda NSX, considering Senna was the development driver for the car during his stay at the team.

DasRaven

So when are we getting DLC information for October?

Hate to be the one to break it to you, but FM4 DLC is very likely done. The Week in Review article expressly pointed out that the Pennzoil pack marked 1 year of DLC, more than any FM game before it.

The next "DLC" from the Forza series will be the Forza Horizon demo on October 9th. There may yet be some additional DLC that accompanies a potential "Ultimate Collection" GOTY release for FM4.
But I personally doubt it after all the complaints last time.

DD

So whats up with the races we were talking about?

@DD - you've found the Marlboro livery, made famous by Mclaren. I see it on everything, so I guess its lost its wonder for me, but its definitely an excellent livery. Very fitting on a Honda NSX, considering Senna was the development driver for the car during his stay at the team.

Yeah, I know. When I saw it there, I couldn't resist! If I am not mistaken, it was expensive, but... *shrugs*

So, if you sell your Xbox360 and buy a new one months later, do you have to rebuy all your games and dlc? It's wanting to charge me 160MS points for the Charger when I bought it months ago on my original Xbox360. It's wanting to charge me for Trials dlc and every arcade game, too. I even did the license transfer.

Shouldn't have to rebuy anything (unless it's changed very recently), I've been through half a dozen Xboxs and the only problem was Double Dragon no longer working.

Did you recover your gamertag?

Shouldn't have to rebuy anything (unless it's changed very recently), I've been through half a dozen Xboxs and the only problem was Double Dragon no longer working.

Did you recover your gamertag?
Yeah, I recovered my gamertag. The licenses finally transferred over. I think Xbox LIVE is having a bit of an issue because it keeps saying it can't retrieve info from Xbox LIVE. Got a new Xbox360 slim, getting Forza 4 tomorrow, and preordered Forza Horizon and Halo 4 at Newegg. My body is ready.

ALAN ULTIMATE

Neo Member
So, if you sell your Xbox360 and buy a new one months later, do you have to rebuy all your games and dlc? It's wanting to charge me 160MS points for the Charger when I bought it months ago on my original Xbox360. It's wanting to charge me for Trials dlc and every arcade game, too. I even did the license transfer.

Did you use the offiical transfer cable to move all of your old HDD contents to the new one first?

pax217

If I am anywhere in Forza 4 but in-race, the game is consistently posting the "Now Saving" banner across the bottom, taking it away for a second, and re-posting it again... it doesn't stop until I start a race. It'll even happen during loading screens.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or have an idea of what to-do? It seemed to start with the last update that Turn10 put out.

amar212

If I am anywhere in Forza 4 but in-race, the game is consistently posting the "Now Saving" banner across the bottom, taking it away for a second, and re-posting it again... it doesn't stop until I start a race. It'll even happen during loading screens.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or have an idea of what to-do? It seemed to start with the last update that Turn10 put out.

Happened to me yesterday, same symptoms.

Had no idea how to fix it, it was going on all the time.

Mascot

It's going to be very interesting to see how Turn 10 react - if at all - to the work being done by SMS on Project Cars.

FM5 and pCARS might both occupy the same next-gen launch window this time next year, and if Forza ignores night racing and precipitation in favour of more Top Gear mini-games then they could have a real fight on their hands.

It's going to be very interesting to see how Turn 10 react - if at all - to the work being done by SMS on Project Cars.

FM5 and pCARS might both occupy the same next-gen launch window this time next year, and if Forza ignores night racing and precipitation in favour of more Top Gear mini-games then they could have a real fight on their hands.

IMO pCARS dont stand a chance againts Forza (or pretty much every other big name racing game), the game is too focused on hardcore gamers and it has too serious vibe. The only 2 sims that have done good in consoles lately are Gran Turismo and Forza (and both going down in sales).

pCARS maybe have some features that more hardcore players wants, maybe its the sim-racer guy wet dream thats a complete niche public. Im very high in the list of possible user after that niche target public and im not sold yet in pCars and not even close in getting it over Forza or GT, at this momment lacks other interesting features aside from hardcore racing, it doesnt seem to have customization or most of the cars im into or a fun career mode and since it seems so hardcore i dont think many people will buy it in consoles, that means the promise of empty lobbies.

Jamesways

IMO pCARS dont stand a chance againts Forza (or pretty much every other big name racing game), the game is too focused on hardcore gamers and it has too serious vibe. The only 2 sims that have done good in consoles lately are Gran Turismo and Forza (and both going down in sales).

pCARS maybe have some features that more hardcore players wants, maybe its the sim-racer guy wet dream thats a complete niche public. Im very high in the list of possible user after that niche target public and im not sold yet in pCars and not even close in getting it over Forza or GT, at this momment lacks other interesting features aside from hardcore racing, it doesnt seem to have customization or most of the cars im into or a fun career mode and since it seems so hardcore i dont think many people will buy it in consoles, that means the promise of empty lobbies.

Right becuase people would prefer 1000 cars that they can paint with only 10-12 tracks rather than 50-100 cars and a shitload of tracks...

paskowitz

I think pCARS will do very well in Europe. How it is marketed in the US is the real question.

Right becuase people would prefer 1000 cars that they can paint with only 10-12 tracks rather than 50-100 cars and a shitload of tracks...

I dont know if you are being sarcastic or not but thats exactly whats going to happen. But just for the record, both Forza and GT have more than 12 tracks, 20 enviroments and 100 layouts atleast.
And lets not forget about the customization, rivals, fun career mode and all those other things that both franchise have and pCars doesnt.

I think pCARS will do very well in Europe. How it is marketed in the US is the real question.

Define very well, because Europe havent save any of the games more on the sim side like (im using the term sim losely here, but i mean more serious games than arcades) : Shift 1-2, Race PRO, Ferrari Challenger, Supercar Challenger or Test Drive Ferrari. :(

Shaneus

I don't know if pCARS will have the level of car customisation though. Not counting the painting, pCARS doesn't look like it'll have the ability to accommodate things like parts upgrades. Hell, even the tuning that we get now in it might not be available in the final versions of it.

TJP

And lets not forget about the customization, rivals, fun career mode and all those other things that both franchise have and pCars doesnt.
Sorry, you are completely wrong. pCARS will have all the things you listed that are 'exclusive' to FM and GT has plus plently of other modes like team management. SMS are looking to push the sim racing genre beyond the stale formula that exists today; pCARS will have a logical and believable career structure starting in karts and I think CARS will be a huge success.

Seanspeed

Banned

I'm sure there will be a level of customization going on and I dont think it'd be hard to top Forza 4's career mode, but overall I agree completely. Forza/GT simply have the backing and manpower to build games that feel 10x more content-filled than pretty much every other racer out there while all being very accessible to your average gamer. I dont think anyone will come in and compete with them directly sales-wise, but there's a fair chance that CARS will be a success in its own way, going up against the rFactor's and GTR's of the world. It will definitely not be a game that is highly appealing to an average gamer, but to people who love racing, its probably pretty high on their 'watch' list if they're not already in the beta program.

There's also the issue of how CARS is handled when downscaled to consoles.

Sorry, you are completely wrong. pCARS will have all the things you listed that are 'exclusive' to FM and GT has plus plently of other modes like team management. SMS are looking to push the sim racing genre beyond the stale formula that exists today; pCARS will have a logical and believable career structure starting in karts and I think CARS will be a huge success.
What about after you finish the kart races? This seems like the next logical step.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTS0SVvu-zI

I didnt say they were exclusive but theres a thing about production values, will Pcars be able to have a good deep customization that is not TOO complex for a wide range of users? , will be the career mode a fun thing or it will be the normal career mode of many other pc sims?

By the way, i huge success like what? please show me the last new racing franchise that made a huge success, especially sim based, Forza had to fight hard its place, first game sold a bit more than 1 million. Shift is dead, Race Pro did badly and its dead too, Ferrari Challenge/Supercar challenge never did very well (and probably its dead too) and all those game were more apealling to common users than Pcars.

I dont hate Pcars or want it to sell bad, i would love to see it selling great but i think unless it goes under a big transformation to be more apealing to a wide range of users it will only sell well amount the hardcore racers group, which is pretty niche, especially in console gaming.

TJP

Good to read triablism is alive and well in the racing genre as well as the FPS genre.

I didnt say they were exclusive but theres a thing about production values, will Pcars be able to have a good deep customization that is not TOO complex for a wide range of users? , will be the career mode a fun thing or it will be the normal career mode of many other pc sims?
Customisation is still to be decided but I'm sure an easy tuning mode will be included - I've posted on the pCARS forum that the Milestone SBK series has a crew chief who sets your bike up based on your input & one the pCARS dev team said it's an addition that can be made. One will also be able to obtain tuning set-ups in the same way one can in other racing games, including FM, through an in-game marketplace.

As for the career mode, the pCARS design document states the career mode starts in karts and you progress into Formula One or Le Mans Prototypes based on what you wish to drive during your career which makes more sense than plenty of other career modes.

By the way, i huge success like what? please show me the last new racing franchise that made a huge success, especially sim based, Forza had to fight hard its place, first game sold a bit more than 1 million. Shift is dead, Race Pro did badly and its dead too, Ferrari Challenge/Supercar challenge never did very well (and probably its dead too) and all those game were more apealling to common users than Pcars.
The Shift series sold over 6 million copies according to SMS, I'd say that was very good for a new IP with a flawed handling model. EA and SMS went their seperate ways after Shift Unleashed and it's clear EA have chosen to go back to the arcade roots of NFS thanks to HP having great sales numbers and reviews. Race Pro is the Race series for console which hardly less realistic than pCARS. RP died because it was shipped half finished and with a tonne of bugs, much like TDU 2 - another Atari published game. The irony is the well reviewed F1 2012 has shipped with more issues than Race Pro! What does it mean for the FM franchise as Forza 4's sales numbers aren't anywhere near the sales numbers of FM3 or FM2 if online sale databases are to be believed?

I dont hate Pcars or want it to sell bad, i would love to see it selling great but i think unless it goes under a big transformation to be more apealing to a wide range of users it will only sell well amount the hardcore racers group, which is pretty niche, especially in console gaming.
The hilarous aspect to this is many PC sim racers who play view pCARS as a prettier version of Shift! The design brief for pCARS is to be a more realistic FM or GT; it's not going to be iRacing. The only area SMS cannot match FM is car numbers as SMS doesn't have MS money to buy licences.

Shift is exactly what I thought when seeing that video posted in the CARS thread today, it's a good looking game never the less.

The career mode sounds great, Forza really needs a kick up the arse in that respect.

Shaneus

Honestly, I think CARS up until this point hasn't seen the true benefit of being an "openly" developed game (aside from bug testing etc). Once contributor opinion is taken on board for things like career mode and such, *that's* when it'll truly shine. Like something in Forza? Create a thread on that feature and suggest they implement it. Don't like something from GT5? Again, create a thread and incite discussion on it.

But as I said, that is only *just* starting to take shape every now and then in the form of brief discussions. Now that the majority of the core game engine has been nutted out (they're just starting multiplayer testing now) it's safe to say that the primary focus now is creating an in-depth player experience beyond the driving model. I'm thinking (hoping?) that this will become the new TOCA.

Good to read triablism is alive and well in the racing genre as well as the FPS genre.

Customisation is still to be decided but I'm sure an easy tuning mode will be included - I've posted on the pCARS forum that the Milestone SBK series has a crew chief who sets your bike up based on your input & one the pCARS dev team said it's an addition that can be made. One will also be able to obtain tuning set-ups in the same way one can in other racing games, including FM, through an in-game marketplace.

As for the career mode, the pCARS design document states the career mode starts in karts and you progress into Formula One or Le Mans Prototypes based on what you wish to drive during your career which makes more sense than plenty of other career modes.

The Shift series sold over 6 million copies according to SMS, I'd say that was very good for a new IP with a flawed handling model. EA and SMS went their seperate ways after Shift Unleashed and it's clear EA have chosen to go back to the arcade roots of NFS thanks to HP having great sales numbers and reviews. Race Pro is the Race series for console which hardly less realistic than pCARS. RP died because it was shipped half finished and with a tonne of bugs, much like TDU 2 - another Atari published game. The irony is the well reviewed F1 2012 has shipped with more issues than Race Pro! What does it mean for the FM franchise as Forza 4's sales numbers aren't anywhere near the sales numbers of FM3 or FM2 if online sale databases are to be believed?

The hilarous aspect to this is many PC sim racers who play view pCARS as a prettier version of Shift! The design brief for pCARS is to be a more realistic FM or GT; it's not going to be iRacing. The only area SMS cannot match FM is car numbers as SMS doesn't have MS money to buy licences.

Shift was released under Need for Speed in the first game, which is the one that sold decent for a racing game but bad for a NFS title, Shift 2 sold pretty bad for a multiplatform game.

You said it: Forza 4 is selling less (about 3 millions now), same goes for Gran Turismo, then WHY Pcars is going to sell well while sim racers are selling less lately?

Also, cars are not the only area that Pcars is not matching, if you think so then you are really underapreciating Forza, the series is much more than a big car list, its a package that overall have the best set of features and production value, they have been innovating and taking the best ideas of other games to implement in theirs.

Jamesways

Shift was released under Need for Speed in the first game, which is the one that sold decent for a racing game but bad for a NFS title, Shift 2 sold pretty bad for a multiplatform game.

You said it: Forza 4 is selling less (about 3 millions now), same goes for Gran Turismo, then WHY Pcars is going to sell well while sim racers are selling less lately?

Also, cars are not the only area that Pcars is not matching, if you think so then you are really underapreciating Forza, the series is much more than a big car list, its a package that overall have the best set of features and production value, they have been innovating and taking the best ideas of other games to implement in theirs.

So should no game be released with any hope of sales unless it's a Forza clone or a Codemasters type-watered down/attract the casual masses? Unfortunately, that's kind of where the genre is going. It's expensive to produce AAA games, and companies have to try to get as many sales as possible. And that sucks.

But do you really want another Forza clone? Pretty sure that wouldn't do those things as well as Forza, so what's the point?

I'm glad pCARS is releasing on console. A racing game that primarily focuses on the actual racing. With a decent car list and a kick ass selection of tracks, ones the community actually want and get.

Look Paladin, we've had this discussion before on fc, and I do respect your opinion. I know that plenty of gamers out there love a huge car list and great customization features, and enjoy the stuff Forza offers aside from the racing, but there are other console race fans who love motorsport and would be very happy with good physics, a ton of tracks, and a smaller car list. Not to mention pCARS looks gorgeous on PC. Should look pretty good on console too.

So should no game be released with any hope of sales unless it's a Forza clone or a Codemasters type-watered down/attract the casual masses? Unfortunately, that's kind of where the genre is going. It's expensive to produce AAA games, and companies have to try to get as many sales as possible. And that sucks.

But do you really want another Forza clone? Pretty sure that wouldn't do those things as well as Forza, so what's the point?

I'm glad pCARS is releasing on console. A racing game that primarily focuses on the actual racing. With a decent car list and a kick ass selection of tracks, ones the community actually want and get.

Look Paladin, we've had this discussion before on fc, and I do respect your opinion. I know that plenty of gamers out there love a huge car list and great customization features, and enjoy the stuff Forza offers aside from the racing, but there are other console race fans who love motorsport and would be very happy with good physics, a ton of tracks, and a smaller car list. Not to mention pCARS looks gorgeous on PC. Should look pretty good on console too.

Im not saying it should not be released, im dont have anything againts the game, Pcars is another option and i already have Forza.

What im actually saying is that i think the game have little chances to be success just like what happen with most sim based/flavored racing games and that Pcars looks too serious and too "pc game" to do well in consoles.

Some of you guys want more hardcore motorsport, more simulation, more old fashioned career modes with qualifications, practice sessions, flags, etc. Thats ok but that market is a niche in pc and even a much smalller niche in consoles, sadly not enough to make a successful game in terms of sales on consoles :(

Bernbaum

I've returned to this game after a 9 month hiatus (was overseas for work and couldn't bring the 360).

Haven't been keeping up to date with the updates to this game. I see Porsches are available (at 1200 Allards), which is nice. I had a subscription for all the car packs but the last one that's free is the 'April Alpinestars Car Pack'. With a few exceptions, every car pack after that has to be purchased.

I'm not sure of what I actually got for my subscription. Should I be getting the newer car packs for free? Is there a second bulk-subscription available so I can be automatically entitled to every upcoming car pack?

Bernbaum

Thanks. I'm not super desperate for any cars in the non-sub packs. Given the history of the franchise, can I expect them to be available at a discount or bundled at some stage in the future?

Top Bottom