• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 |OT| uozoH zo

Got it! Thanks guys. I got 499! Also a barrel roll achievement while trying

Grats mate :)

That jump ticked me off the first time I had to 3 star it. Just glad it took me fewer attempts this time around for the Forzathon.

Couple of more things to do and then back to the Blizzard Mountain championships :D

Ducayne

Will a single player race end if I just don't move after the last AI hits the finish? Curious if I can just let a race run in the background for that Pro 25 Lap achievement.

KRaZyAmmo

Will a single player race end if I just don't move after the last AI hits the finish? Curious if I can just let a race run in the background for that Pro 25 Lap achievement.

it's fine if you don't let the last AI get to the finish line. It still counts as finished race (for you).

You'll need to complete the last lap of that 25 lap race for it to count.

The best place to do the 25 laps in the quickest time imo would be the Skyline View Circuit near Surfers Paradise. If you have the skill point that grants you pole position for 10 Skill points I'd suggest using it if you have access to it to make it easier if you also want to win the race.

Edit: In addition I suggest doing the race in an S1 or above class car to make the laps in a quicker time.

ParityBit

So for the Mercedes one, how do I know if I am doing skill chains (I am assuming doing two skills at once, like sliding and hitting something so that it gives me a skill chain bonus or something )? Also, I am using a Mercedes-AMG. Can I use that car or is there specifically a benz type? I don't have one ...

KRaZyAmmo

So for the Mercedes one, how do I know if I am doing skill chains (I am assuming doing two skills at once, like sliding and hitting something so that it gives me a skill chain bonus or something )? Also, I am using a Mercedes-AMG. Can I use that car or is there specifically a benz type? I don't have one ...

I used the Mercedes Benz AMG SL65 AMG Black just in case. and you don't have to do long chain for the Mercedes one. You can just do simple little drifts and bank quickly to get it. (that's what I did with for the challenge)

ParityBit

I used the Mercedes Benz AMG SL65 AMG Black just in case. and you don't have to do long chain for the Mercedes one. You can just do simple little drifts and bank quickly to get it. (that's what I did with for the challenge)

Okay I bought a benz. Now I am trying to get the 50. I wish I knew how many more I needed

ParityBit

It will show you in the achievements how far you have got, percentage-wise.

Got it finally. Thanks!

So in all my races, I have one dude who is on my team and he always either smokes me, or is right on me no matter how well I drive. Is that normal, or is it just his AI?

ParityBit

I would say fill up your festival boss and skills and you can either save those instant rewards anytime you want.

Any of the skills more useful than the others? So far I have just randomly picked what sounded good ....

Also, it costs me 5K to teleport to festivals. How was it free like you said?

KRaZyAmmo

Any of the skills more useful than the others? So far I have just randomly picked what sounded good ....

Also, it costs me 5K to teleport to festivals. How was it free like you said?

did you use the car tab and teleport to autoshow? Also it helps if you can find all the fast travel boards.

ParityBit

did you use the car tab and teleport to autoshow? Also it helps if you can find all the fast travel boards.

Oh cool! I see now. I can get to the closest festival doing that for free. Yeah I think I will use my 15 points on something else then.

Side note. Should you always return to a festival before quitting?

KRaZyAmmo

Oh cool! I see now. I can get to the closest festival doing that for free. Yeah I think I will use my 15 points on something else then.

Side note. Should you always return to a festival before quitting?

You don't always have to. Depending on where you are, the game will automatically spawn you near the closest festival site when you start up the game.

ParityBit

Any hints for starting a race? I am always passed by everyone except the last guy and I spend most of my time trying to catch up.

Also, is there a TON to do when you finish all the showcase races? It seem I am flying though the game but I have a bunch on the map to try and do.

rrs

Played some online races when the menu said zorbs was in co-op, that was a load of fun

Any hints for starting a race? I am always passed by everyone except the last guy and I spend most of my time trying to catch up.

Also, is there a TON to do when you finish all the showcase races? It seem I am flying though the game but I have a bunch on the map to try and do.
Better starts need a 4WD car, or a car that's better tuned/balanced for the race.

As for things to do, there will be a lot more things to do after the showcase races, a lot more

willbsn13

Wanted to talk a little about Forza sales or 'players', and wasn't sure where to put it so i'll post it here. (Not sure if this is new thread worthy)

Kudosprime, a visual vehicle website database for all of the Forza games (GT, NFS, GTA too) actually has been tracking the number of players for Forza since the start of FM6. They do this through the introduction race leaderboards (through rivals) which I've seen many users quote before. But they've actually been taking these numbers at regular intervals and creating numerical datasets with them, which can be useful for analysis.

Of course these numbers are not indicative of sales, but are as close as we are gonna get until an Xbox PR statement (that'll probably be just MAU's or "players" in this case anyway). These numbers include people who have gameshared the game, people who have rented the game, people who have downloaded the game on the free weekend and probably a few others which of course do not equal a sale. Conversely, it doesn't include offline players or people who don't ever set a leaderboard time. Either way, it's not "sales data" its more "player data" or how many people have played our games. It's where they get the "11 million people have played a forza game" PR headliner from.

Anyway I thought it would be interesting to see how Forza Motorsport, the main franchise compared to Forza Horizon, the spin-off franchise.Firstly, lets take a look at FM6.

daE3aos.jpg

Kudosprime were kind enough to record both the Europe numbers (You can filter leaderboards by local region) and the total numbers in there data so we can see how much of Europe makes up the Forza player base. Immediately you can see three spikes in the gradient; one at launch, one at christmas and one around the beginning of september (due to the free weekend the game had).

What stands out to me is the long is the continual growth right up until FH3's launch and even past that. Bare in mind that Kudos aren't recording these leaderboard numbers down every couple of months, they're doing it way more frequently (as we'll see in the next graph). As of right now, the leaderboard total sits at 3,738,066 (with 273,365 in the Asia-Pacific region)

Now onto FH3's (the interesting one)

RI3iAqW.jpg

Kudos were nice enough to not only record a vast amount of data points for FH3, but plot it against FM6's numbers over the same time period (Forza 6's data is offset to match launch data)

Immediately you can see FH3's dominance over FM6. FH3 hits a million almost as FM6 hits only 550k or so. FH3 also hits 1.5 million before FM6 even hits 1 million. FH3 is currently on 2,035,399 (before christmas) and FM6 didn't even hit 2 million until mid February of the next year. Again a reminder this is just number of players who've set a leaderboard time on the first race.

So what does this tell us? Well that FH3 is outpacing FM6 in terms of number of players by quite a large margin, a margin that to be honest I didn't expect at all. I thought maybe FH3 would do slightly better than FM6, but not 500k better.

Do you guys think there is enough of a gap to suggest that perhaps Horizon has overtaken Motorsport in terms of popularity etc? Do you think this would worry Turn 10 in anyway at all?

I thought it was very interesting too see. Not often a spin-off ends up rapidly outpacing the main franchise in terms of number of players played.

CrayToes

Horizon is definitely the more popular series now and naturally so. It's designed at it's very core to be inclusive and approachable. I'm just hoping T10 doesn't try to make FM more causal than it already is.

ParityBit

Put it this way. I bought Horizon a week ago ... since I bought about 10 games on Xmas sale in one fashion or another ..... I only started the intro to Titanfall 2 out of them all.

I. Can. Not. Stop. Playing. Horizon. 3!

I tried with the SUV Benz but that didn't work. I will try this car you mentioned, thanks.

edit

I got it with that car

DasRaven

I just bought an XB1 specifically for FH3.

I've been PS4-only since the beginning of this gen and the only series that tempted me was Forza.
I loved FM4 and kept waiting for a pad-playable racer on PS4 and when it came, Sony closed the studio (RIP DriveClub).

So, when the holiday sales came along, I eagerly picked up a console and FH3 Ultimate.
I've already put more time into it than PCars or AC. Which while technically excellent, are more "challenging" than "fun" on pad.

Approachable works.

LoveCake

Which game modes are "Playground Games" why don't they mod/patch the game so you can click on the event and it take you into the required game/mode and also show a progress bar?

Which game modes are "Playground Games" why don't they mod/patch the game so you can click on the event and it take you into the required game/mode and also show a progress bar?

I just went to the online and custom games, just me and one other person playing tag, king and capture the flag.

ParityBit

Any way to play a single playground game and not a match of 4?

So the car I got for that event is the car I got on a spin and was all happy about .... now I have 2 :(

terrible

Banned
I just bought an XB1 specifically for FH3.

I've been PS4-only since the beginning of this gen and the only series that tempted me was Forza.
I loved FM4 and kept waiting for a pad-playable racer on PS4 and when it came, Sony closed the studio (RIP DriveClub).

So, when the holiday sales came along, I eagerly picked up a console and FH3 Ultimate.
I've already put more time into it than PCars or AC. Which while technically excellent, are more "challenging" than "fun" on pad.

Approachable works.

Yeah pCARS and Assetto are good with a controller but not great. They are best played with a wheel. Forza is the best feeling series with a controller imo. It feels near perfect.

terrible

Banned
Can you only do the 50 skill chain forzathon thing online? I tried it solo for a long long time (likely did hundreds of skill chains) and couldn't get it to pop. I gave up and did some playground games and after 2-3 games it finally came up.

rrs

Can you only do the 50 skill chain forzathon thing online? I tried it solo for a long long time (likely did hundreds of skill chains) and couldn't get it to pop. I gave up and did some playground games and after 2-3 games it finally came up.
I did mine offline just fine

terrible

Banned
I probably spent 1-2 hours drifting, flying over sand dunes, knocking trees down, and all that other good stuff and nothing. Took no time at all once I went online and I wasn't even trying to do skill chains. If anyone else has the same issue try playing online like I did and it may help.

Qwyjibo

I started playing this game (PC version) more now that I have my T300RS all set-up. It's obviously not near a perfect sim or anything but holy shit does FH3 have fantastic overall presentation. I love just driving around aimlessly and finding new goals and locations. I'm glad these games are, seemingly, going to be getting regular PC releases.

rager

Banned
This is my first Forza horizon game, I have it on PC, I am surprised how well it is running on my rig. I do need a better card though. I am having a blast!

Ptaaty

Absolutely loving this game!! I thought I didn't care about racers anymore but my friend convinced me. Tons of fun and looks great.

Counterintuitive to me - crossplay was a fairly significant factor in buying the Xbox one S this Xmas. Got Gears 4 and FH3 already.

Anyway - RX480, 1440p...what is the major "difference" settings? I am running unlocked / freesync at 1440p. Most things at medium with medium dynamic....runs very very well like this, like 80-90 fps most of the time, almost never hits below 60fps.

Not sure which settings give the most bang for the buck in going higher.

*edit* - I did some manual adjustments...bumped up to 16X anistropic, went to ultra textures, high on dynamic geometry (draw distance/etc). Now it runs at even higher fps. Also with sharper textures, filtering and higher dynamic geometry, it seems to improve the visual space I focus on (medium/far distance). Still need to experiment, but really looking good.

Ptaaty

One of my favorite things in this game - hood view on a lower car (mad sense of speed), then going off road until you hit the "out of control but in control" bouncing and destroying brush / fences / etc at 150mph. So fun.

Another tip - ensure you dial in the difficulty. Game gets way more fun when you have to really work to get the 1st place.

Top Bottom