• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 at gamescom - Spa confirmed

haha you are right! i already said that myself, still its too early TO JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS,
but maybe jumping to conclusions is a new forza mini-game or something.

anyways, if you say he is alright, then he is alright 8)

come on man!! he is definitely second hand in news for art, when you compare with what the art director himself says.
I think you, and everybody, can easily understand this.

anyway, my friend above vouched for you, so I'm stopping. one last time, i suggest you wait a bit to get more facts. but do as you like :)

Yep, I remember when Brian Ekburg said when questioned on the 30 FPS replays for Forza 4 he replied "Everything runs at 60FPS this time". Needles to say he was completely off the mark.

It's a pattern I'm seeing too.
How many positives have been talked about in this thread?
I can assure you not as much as the negativity that's flying around.
I see so much scrutiny it's becoming almost unbearable.

I agree, but part of that reason is because Forza is so damned good, particularity Forza 4 which really propelled the series into more serious sim territory and as an overall package stands as one of the very best in the genre. The reason some people are being picky is they know the game has so much potential and they want it to be the best it can, it has very big shoes to fill and Turn 10 clearly have the manpower and talent to deliver on their promises.

...then there's the trolls.

Seanspeed

Banned
Seanspeed, dude. The comments coming from you. Endurance races aren't important in a game like this? Accuracy in trackside details don't matter as long as the tarmac itself is scanned?

The stuff I'm reading in this thread man. Dynamic weather, time of day and night racing don't matter in a racing sim? That's close to Che's super awesome comments about cockpit view- Sim racers don't use cockpit view, it's a waste of resources.
I'm one of the biggest motorsport fans you'll find around man. I just happen to have personal preferences on things. And with endurance racing, yea, I don't get it in a game like Forza. No night/day cycle, completely hand-held and unchangeable pitstops, barely existent and unrealistic tire wear and fuel usage. Then consider that a large part of endurance racing is reliability, which isn't a concern in a game like this. So that leaves absolutely no reason for me to think endurance racing would be even remotely worth doing. Its a waste of time and doing it would be 'half-assing it' far more than even Forza's drag racing feature.

I like somewhat longer races, but really, in my experience, the result is often pretty sure-fire after 5-10 laps. I see little point in going on much beyond that.

Mascot

Some great posts in this thread over the past day or so. The passion for Forza runs high.

One question I want to throw out there: why is laser-scanned accuracy so important in driving games? Is it simply the comfort of knowing the track you are driving on is as close as possible to its real-world counterpart, or is there more to it?

Speaking personally, Forza's well-documented and controversial Nordschleife inaccuracies never bothered me one iota. Even if I'd driven fifty laps on the real thing I think I'd be hard pressed to notice any differences, so have to rely on armchair experts (who also have never driven the real thing) telling me why I should be offended to drive such an abomination. And there was me, quietly and ignorantly enjoying the track for what it was. How wrong I was!

Is laser scanning so incredibly important simply because it's just one more tick in the 'authenticity' box, in a game that throws out mixed messages where authenticity is concerned (think pit stops, think tyre strategy, think fuel strategy)? Or is there something more to it?

eso76

Some great posts in this thread over the past day or so. The passion for Forza runs high.

One question I want to throw out there: why is laser-scanned accuracy so important in driving games?

What if you suddenly found yourself on the nurburgring racing a Ferrari 458 ?
you'd probably crash and die if you relied on your knowledge of FM4's inaccurate rendition of the track.

Seriously, I think the biggest advantage will be having a lot more bumps and irregularities on the surface; tarmac tends to be a little too smooth when 'hand' modeled.

amar212

One question I want to throw out there: why is laser-scanned accuracy so important in driving games? Is it simply the comfort of knowing the track you are driving on is as close as possible to its real-world counterpart, or is there more to it?

You can design track shape, altitude, latitude, complexity and curvature more easier and less expensive using GoogleMaps and StreetVIew, official architectural drawings and CAD and satellite data, as well as on-track video recording.

But none of the above can give you data regarding actual surface details - bumps, imperfections, lateral and longitudinal direction of surface.. - which is why laser-scan is that important for creating a real-life counterpart.

Of course, laser-scan will also provide you with additional data of near-by surroundings, vicinity objects, etc, dependable of sensitivity used for set-up of the record.

Another method for obtaining data of the surface is using of specialized in-car recorders that collect data straight from the car-suspension and cameras installed on the car in order to create accurate compiled information about the relation of the suspension-works and surface-specifics. But is not precise as laser-scan, simply because it does not take the 100% of the surface into consideration.

LeBoef

-laser scanning-

if you want to be called a sim, you should try to come as close as possilbe to the real thing. forzas nordschleife helped me to get used to the real track very fast but i had to adept to the bumpers and some other stuff.

so yeah, laser scanning improves game mechanics a lot. imagine the difference between a flat out road with some bumps where you just have to learn the track and break points or a bumpy thing where you have to be more cautious of the cars behaviour and the track itself.

ManteoMax

Working backward:

I'll likely never drive the real world tracks so I won't know the difference, but the idea that a professional driver would play the game and say "yeah, this looks and feels very close to what I experience on the track" appeals to me because it allows me to feel that much closer to what I see on tv. Same goes for reproduction of cars. Sensation is only half of it though:

Even though I don't have the game skill to drive at the fastest level, what I'd like from the game is to know that the best players can achieve the same lap times with the same cars on the same tracks as the best real world drivers. Again that closeness to reality is important to me, otherwise recreating real locations and cars that don't match their real world counterparts seems pointless. Changing lengths and widths to make tracks more playable with multiple amateur drivers is understandable, but if it's not real I feel like I might as well just play Cruisin' USA.

I don't know if laser-scanning is necessary to achieve the above desired goals, but it seems like it would be the best way to get the best accurate recreation. For instance, I'd really like to see that grate in the Laguna Seca corkscrew (that damaged an ALMS car this season) in the game, and I'm not sure that would be picked up from aerial photos or a google maps car camera. But whatever works to get the most accurate representation to the real world works for me, lasers or not.

amar212

For instance, I'd really like to see that grate in the Laguna Seca corkscrew (that damaged an ALMS car this season) in the game, and I'm not sure that would be picked up from aerial photos or a google maps car camera.

Infamous Monte Carlo bump on Avenue des Beaux Arts is one of the best examples I can remember.

To be honest with you I don't think Forza needs kart racing, didn't really bother much with it in GT5.

Have a great night guys ;)
Cheers, HD.

That's all you needed to say.

Without information we will speculate, this isn't a normal Forza release, for many T10 are selling us the Xbox One and selling in the face of more powerful and cheaper competitor.

They might not have signed up for that shit but as a large first party studio with the only racing franchise on the platform left that's part of the job.

p3tran

Banned
Without information we will speculate, this isn't a normal Forza release, for many T10 are selling us the Xbox One and selling in the face of more powerful and cheaper competitor.

you can say that again 10 times, and still you wont have said the whole truth!

after the initial display of complete lack of gaming vision, after it was evident that some microsoft dumbass thought that 80 million houses are a good base to read advertizing reactions and sell the completely personalized feedback through "microsoft advertizing", after their attempt to drag us into a completely closed, digital monopoly,
THE ONLY FUCKING THING THAT MICROSOFT HAS GOT GOING FOR ME, IS FORZA.

If forza was not on this platform, microsoft would receive only a spit in the face and not a single dime this generation from me.

eso76

yep, it's ridiculous.
T10 is selling me a 499€ Forza machine.
There is absolutely no other reason for me for not just picking a Ps4.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm glad you guys agree.

Forza 5 HAS to be big, HAS to be bold (and we know it's beautiful). Start selling it.
Its only been two years since Forza 4 and this is on completely new hardware.

I'm really thinking that the push to make this a launch title means they haven't had nearly enough time to make this as content-rich as it could be. I wouldn't expect a lot here. I have a feeling we're going to get hit with a 2xx car count and 1x environment count.

I'm bracing for it. For it, and the inevitable outcry.

p3tran

Banned
Its only been two years since Forza 4 and this is on completely new hardware.

I'm really thinking that the push to make this a launch title means they haven't had nearly enough time to make this as content-rich as it could be. I wouldn't expect a lot here. I have a feeling we're going to get hit with a 2xx car count and 1x environment count.

I'm bracing for it. For it, and the inevitable outcry.

track count and car count will take a hit, so the new quality better be worth it!!

otherwise, BAD THINGS may happen :D

Yeah Forza can never be everything everyone ever wanted and I'm cool with that but deleting potential track info instead of showing it off is frustrating. Reduced track count? then show us what you got.

Dan got a +1 from me for confirming no night and weather early, I want to see positive news to counter the bad because holding out for last minute blow out won't sway anybody.

p3tran

Banned
Yeah Forza can never be everything everyone ever wanted and I'm cool with that but deleting potential track info instead of showing it off is frustrating. Reduced track count? then show us what you got.

Dan got a +1 from me for confirming no night and weather early, I want to see positive news to counter the bad because holding out for last minute blow out won't sway anybody.

well, I think it makes sense. what we discovered, we kept it within a already running topic, we did not create fancy new headlines, I think none of the games media sites picked it up.
not many know. it makes sense to remove, just so that it will still be a surprise for the vast majority of people when they are ready to announce.
I mean, for example, an open wheeler video in laser scanned emirates F1 track? out of nowhere? hehe 8)
by removing what we discovered, they can still do it and pleasantly surprise many-many people.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abh3r_Bv4Ok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyqWIzyoxGU

Well when the reveal happens I'm sure it'll be glorious but I haven't pre-ordered either the game or console for myself and the only hype being generated is from the eager fans themselves.

This isn't a GT where you can string people along on a vague promise and maintain interest.

Chumpion

Like many here, I'm skipping FM5, but I think I'll be back for FM6 once the console has had a price drop. I skipped FM3 and that helped make FM4 a fresh experience.

I also echo the sentiments of those who are a little frustrated to be Forza fans: T10 has achieved great things with FM4 - but there's potential for so much more! I can think of many small enhancements (small in terms of development time) that would make the game much more enjoyable.

G Rom

ManteoMax, you pretty much described my feelings on why antenticity is important. For me, it's all about the "Where dreams are driven" motto. I was fortunate to see a 250 GTO in real life but I know I have one chance in a million to drive it, let alone on a track like the Nordschleife. Yet, games like Forza and GT allow this type of dream to happen, at least virtually. That's why I'll take anything that gets me closer to that experience whether it's having the best physics to reproduce the car behaviour, the most accurate cars and tracks, amazing sounds to be fully immersed or realistic graphics to make me feel like I'm actually in the car.

BTW, I still don't get why we didn't see any official direct-feed trailer or video of the game for GC...

p3tran

Banned
BTW, I still don't get why we didn't see any official direct-feed trailer or video of the game for GC...
my gut says they are preparing some new video. maybe a list of forthcoming events would shed some light in "when".

btw, you could go to nurburgring and rent a car from the racing schools there and make this happen, at a relatively low cost if you really want to ;)
well, not a 250gto, but there are lots of cars there that will offer you a great experience, up to a "scared shitless" experience :D

I really don't see a car list under 300 personally, and I'd say it'll be edging more towards 400. Turn 10 have been working on this for a long time. I know some people would rather less cars and more tracks but for me it's all about cars, that's where the depth is for me, the customisation, tuning and sheer variation of vehicles that each feel (and sound) unique to one another, that was something FM4 got right due to it's significantly improved tyre and suspension model. That's why I bought and loved every piece of DLC and never bothered to with FM 2 or FM 3 since the cars felt samey (and lacked the luxurious detail of FM4 models) so I wondered what the point was. With FM5 we should really notice the distinction between car models more than ever, that's why Dan picked Laguna Seca for the Gamescom demo as he wanted people to experience the contrast between new and old technology reflected in the game. Of course the vast majority of people were playing with assists or normal steering so it was lost in translation.

I never seem to get bored with the track list of FM4, tracks by their nature are designed to be raced on indefinitely and there's always room for improvement, how many of you guys can say you're an expert at all tracks in FM4? I think even serious players would say they have a handful of tracks they feel totally confident on, the rest they might be able to pull of fast lap times but something about the track just doesn't gel with their driving style. It does sound like T10 have spent considerable time on laser scanning tracks (old and new), I just hope it's not at the expense of the cars.

Mascot

That's all you needed to say.

They might not have signed up for that shit but as a large first party studio with the only racing franchise on the platform left that's part of the job.

... and yet Turn 10 are being abused by their own father over the whole steering wheel flustercluck.

Microsoft are not helping matters at all with either the legacy issue or by releasing clutchless Fisher Price toys. How can serious players who want to use a clutch be expected to enjoy FM5? With a joypad?

No thanks.

saladine1

I agree, but part of that reason is because Forza is so damned good, particularity Forza 4 which really propelled the series into more serious sim territory and as an overall package stands as one of the very best in the genre. The reason some people are being picky is they know the game has so much potential and they want it to be the best it can, it has very big shoes to fill and Turn 10 clearly have the manpower and talent to deliver on their promises.

...then there's the trolls.

I really do feel for Greenawalt and Turn 10.

They had to notify the public that expectant features will not be included. They had to deal with the whole MS debacle. Then they had to deal with the MS 180. They had to adapt to the new rules. They are in a stressful position of trying to deliver a quality title at launch.
Then there is the content delivery announcement. They also have to deal with bombardments from fans and critics alike. Man o man how I don't envy their position at the moment. The pressure would be absolutely immense.

The same can be said about Yamauchi and PD. These guys have been going at it for fucking years. To have made it this far, with all the insane amount of praise and critique alike, and to still be certifiably sane is a miracle in and of itself.

Yes, these two giants of the genre aren't perfect in every way. Criticisms will continue to be hurled at them so long as they are around. But holy crap have they given us some amazing experiences over the years and have reached the highest of heights in the field.

The future is looking bright and can only imagine the experiences that awaits us...

p3tran

Banned
I would also add to that saladine list, the fact that xbone SUCKS for the kind of experience we are looking for in "nextgen".
these new machines (both actually), are not fucking capable of an easy 1080/60/bells and whistles, and what we are looking for here, is exactly that.
For me as a 'judge', coming out day 1 in 1080/60 and in a visually improved environment (call it what you like, but its not forza 4 rescaled), its an achievement on its own.
but then again, I guess wouldn't like them so much if they where not capable enough..

now give us a video!

patchday

... and yet Turn 10 are being abused by their own father over the whole steering wheel flustercluck.

Microsoft are not helping matters at all with either the legacy issue or by releasing clutchless Fisher Price toys. How can serious players who want to use a clutch be expected to enjoy FM5? With a joypad?

No thanks.
Ah a kindred soul.

FM5 looks great for joypad users which I gather is the majority of Forza players? Problem is I suspect a LOT of Forza 4 players started using serious wheels. So there's going to be a lot of angry fans on their boards

It's a real shame. FM5 looks very good. Still missing dynamic lighting. But at least they added open wheelers. I'm mainly a virtual open wheel driver myself so I found myself getting sucked into iRacing for Indy car / Star Mazda series.

I feel bad for Turn 10. They worked so hard to make a great game only to get messed over by their 'Daddy'. It seems very strange too me to play a racing game without a wheel. But I'm aware most fast drivers in Forza use a joystick. In vast contrast, the best racers in iRacing all use steering wheels

edit- Correction: You can play with a wheel. But you have to pony up for one of those 'starter' wheels it appears

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i hope there is a solution to the 360 --> one wheel issue. i don't want to have to play forza 5 with a pad and i refuse to buy the only announced xbone wheels. pad play is so so so dull compared to using a wheel

I'm one of the biggest motorsport fans you'll find around man. I just happen to have personal preferences on things. And with endurance racing, yea, I don't get it in a game like Forza. No night/day cycle, completely hand-held and unchangeable pitstops, barely existent and unrealistic tire wear and fuel usage. Then consider that a large part of endurance racing is reliability, which isn't a concern in a game like this. So that leaves absolutely no reason for me to think endurance racing would be even remotely worth doing. Its a waste of time and doing it would be 'half-assing it' far more than even Forza's drag racing feature.

I like somewhat longer races, but really, in my experience, the result is often pretty sure-fire after 5-10 laps. I see little point in going on much beyond that.

I agree. I find true endurance racing a total bore. 10 laps maximum for me, and then I'm done.

I like sim racers, but the realism can only go so far until most people are bored or annoyed. I think Turn 10 have always understood that, and they include the things that most people care about.

I think weather and such are nice inclusions, and it would be nice to see them, but they feel far less important to me than for example, a rock solid framerate and no screen tearing, both of which are areas Polyphony seem to have trouble with.

Shaneus

I'm glad you guys agree.

Forza 5 HAS to be big, HAS to be bold (and we know it's beautiful). Start selling it.
I've got news for you: It won't be bold. It will be safe and it will attempt to appeal to as many Xbox One owners as possible. I don't think it will go the "We're so bland, you just KNOW we could only be a sim" GT-style, nor the super-stylized PGR4-esque vibe, it'll be largely straight-down-the-line and not push any conceptual envelopes.

It will be Forza. No more, no less.

/flamesuit

Am i the only one wanting the Swiss Alps track to be included? As much as it rides like a rollercoaster i love that track on FM4.

/flamesuit

BADNED

Here is your 2013 Ford Focus ST "Day One Edition"

l7SGMhp.jpg

I agree. I find true endurance racing a total bore. 10 laps maximum for me, and then I'm done.

I like sim racers, but the realism can only go so far until most people are bored or annoyed. I think Turn 10 have always understood that, and they include the things that most people care about.

I think weather and such are nice inclusions, and it would be nice to see them, but they feel far less important to me than for example, a rock solid framerate and no screen tearing, both of which are areas Polyphony seem to have trouble with.

In motorsport how long are the races? 9 times out of ten there is always at least one pit stop. F1 races have 40-50 laps and big events are the 24hr Le Mans and Nuburgring. Endurance racing is a big part of motor sports and having the options will only make it better.

I find your latter paragraph even more ironic. You talk about what most people care about and then say framerate and tearing. Firstly we can have both considering how powerful the PS4 and XB1 are and secondly as much as I hate to say it most people care about weather than 60fps.

p3tran

Banned
Here is your 2013 Ford Focus ST "Day One Edition"
l7SGMhp.jpg

8)

but wait! is that aluminum cut-out on matte paint? or the stickers come in aluminum-like options now?
can you please say a few words about how the new paint system works? I know I heard about 3 layers of paint or something.. and although Im not hertz donut, I think what I see in this pic was not possible before..

I've got news for you: It won't be bold. It will be safe and it will attempt to appeal to as many Xbox One owners as possible. I don't think it will go the "We're so bland, you just KNOW we could only be a sim" GT-style, nor the super-stylized PGR4-esque vibe, it'll be largely straight-down-the-line and not push any conceptual envelopes.

It will be Forza. No more, no less.

Forzas always gonna Forza but there's some hope now they've ditched the tat, built a new platform and made progress by including authentic replicated tracks (and Laguna Seca!) we could see some racing features creep back in.

hwalker84

Since my Fanatec Wheel won't work with the Xbox One who's interested?

Fanatec Turbo S Wheel
RennSport Wheel Stand
RennSport Wheel Stand Shifter Adapter
Clubsport Pedeals
Shifter Set (Manual and Sequential)
PS3-PC RF Dongle
Power Adapter

Top Bottom