• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FURIOSA: A MAD MAX Saga | Review Thread (It's Another Masterpiece)

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

Fantastic reviews.
Looking back at the reveal trailer thread, the internet was negative as fuck again, for no reason. This shit looked amazing in the first trailer, and seems it didnt disappoint. Never doubt George Miller. 2024 has been fantastic for Cinema.

Meanwhile gaming is fucking trash, devs are shitting their diapers, acting fucking clueless, making nothing but GAAS trash
sabu.png

Furiosa Is Every Bit the Mad Max Masterpiece You're Hoping For

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I trust George Miller. Especially when it comes to his Mad Max universe. He's made way more films that I've loved than I've disliked. My butt will be in a theater seat next Thursday.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Will see it in cinema because I love Fury Road and because I still like watching movies on the big screen. Don't care for these previews and the trailer didn't instill any faith whatsoever, it looked inferior to Fury Road. Hopefully Miller is delivering another masterpiece but I have serious doubts.

Hugare

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Wasnt expecting that

I'll be there day one

But man, the trailer sucked so much, imo

Terrible, distracting CGI. Visually Fury Road seemed so much better.

Will see

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Fury Road was an absolute gem of a movie and if you haven't read it, I couldn't recommend highly enough "Blood, Sweat & Chrome: The Wild and True Story of Mad Max: Fury Road" an utterly fascinating look into how in the sweet fuck that movie ever got made, the making off is just as incredible as the actual movie...

Anyways soooo glad to hear this is another banger and from what I've read it sounds like the main actor Anya didnt have the best of times making it...

“I’ve never been more alone than making that movie,” she explained, adding: “I don’t want to go too deep into it, but everything that I thought was going to be easy was hard.”

Asked about the specific difficulties she experienced on set, the Queen’s Gambit actor left an extended silence and requested the “next question”, before insisting: “Talk to me in 20 years.”

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I never doubted that it would be great, honestly. And after Northman I'll watch big-eye sexy blonde girl in pretty much anything.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
General advice for the fellow contrarians on GAF: Just don't go into your first viewing experience actively looking for negatives and reasons to hate a movie instead of just paying attention to it. You can find flaws in every movie.

Instead, try and do the nitpicky stuff on a second viewing.
I will judge this film and I will judge it harshly. Been burned too many times going all the way back to the Star Wars prequels and more recently the shitquels, luckily I noped out after the initial shitquel.

Last edited:
Anya didnt have the best of times making it...

“I’ve never been more alone than making that movie,” she explained, adding: “I don’t want to go too deep into it, but everything that I thought was going to be easy was hard.”

Asked about the specific difficulties she experienced on set, the Queen’s Gambit actor left an extended silence and requested the “next question”, before insisting: “Talk to me in 20 years.”

"Dude let's shoot this outdoors action scene for 78 days in three seconds snippets", aka the Old Miller Special.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Not buying it. Ive grown more and more out of touch with the modern movie critic. As far as i am concerned, they are the reason why we got so many marvel trash movies. They kept rating mediocre as fuck movies as a must watch and that led to even more success at the box office.

Puscifer

I dunno man. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Mad Max characters including himself are really just plot points in the "legend" of Mad Max. Nothing is ever the same and the movies play out like campfire tales of his grand exploits but I can't ever say, even with the 2nd movie, that any of these characters interest me enough to feel like they need an entire movie without the titular character.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Fantastic reviews.
Looking back at the reveal trailer thread, the internet was negative as fuck again, for no reason. This shit looked amazing in the first trailer, and seems it didnt disappoint. Never doubt George Miller. 2024 has been fantastic for Cinema.

Meanwhile gaming is fucking trash, devs are shitting their diapers, acting fucking clueless, making nothing but GAAS trash
sabu.png

Furiosa Is Every Bit the Mad Max Masterpiece You're Hoping For

Better than citizen kane?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Fury Road was better than all of them.

I strongly disagree. I enjoyed it, but found it mostly forgettable.

The original Mad Max, although done on a tiny budget takes a fairly standard 70's revenge motif and elevates it into something original and special. For what it is, a grungy exploitation movie its one of the best ever in my opinion.
Mad Max 2 though... In its day was completely unique. It essentially created the post-apocalyptic action fable. And its straight-up great in all aspects, everything works. An all-time classic.

I strongly disagree. I enjoyed it, but found it mostly forgettable.

The original Mad Max, although done on a tiny budget takes a fairly standard 70's revenge motif and elevates it into something original and special. For what it is, a grungy exploitation movie its one of the best ever in my opinion.
Mad Max 2 though... In its day was completely unique. It essentially created the post-apocalyptic action fable. And its straight-up great in all aspects, everything works. An all-time classic.

Perhaps it's a generational thing. I really enjoy the originals, and I can see why they are considered classics, but damn, a lot of (action) movies from that era have aged, like a lot.

It's like my uncle telling me that the original David Lynch version of Dune is better than the new ones.

Then those square-shaped CGI shields apear on screen and I can't help but burst out laughing.

Last edited:
Even if it's good, I don't really like the idea of this movie existing. But it's just me.

I think the more unexplained you leave Furiosa, the better. A lot of her backstory is implied, and I thought that was way more interesting.
They obviously will explain her further in this movie, but I don't like that.

Anyway, if it's good, that's great!

FunkMiller

Gold Member
George generally doesn’t miss, but I think I’ll reserve judgement until a few more critics have reviewed it. The gushing Twitter reviews straight out the gate are never a good indicator.

T-0800

I was going to watch Fury Road today on Netflix until I noticed it doesn't support 5.1. How is this a thing?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Can't believe some of you in here haven't even seen Fury Road and some think it's "meh"...

Jesus lads, youse are a hard group to satisfy, the first was incredible and this looks just as good

Please don't say it was the first. I get super twitchy :messenger_beaming: It is a great film, but...

This remains the best Mad Max film:

b9WRbnC.jpeg

(and for the Americans among you... yes, that is the correct title.)

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I didn't think it looked all that great, but those reviews mean I'll definitely check it out.

I'm not sure what weird culture war law it's fallen foul of for some people, but it's pretty weird to see people dismissing ratings like that.
It has nothing to do with a culture war. It's just that initial reviews claiming a movie to be the second coming of Jesus Christ rarely pan out. Prequels, Shitquels, Avatar 2, Dune pt 2 are all examples of this.

Top Bottom